35 Bethlehem Pike
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thaikuu.com/
- Phone: 2672975715
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday, Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tanawat Nontakarn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Patio heaters for outdoor dining
A word from Thai Kuu
Experience authentic Thai fusion in our own chic environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thai Kuu reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (14)great for outdoor dining (13)romantic (9)special occasion (8)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- High-End Thai FoodmarilynkDined on 11/10/2013I've been to numerous Thai restaurants. I typically enjoy the food. But Thai Kuu takes everything to a new level. The Pad Thai is great. All the appetizers and main courses that we tried were excellent and the presentation is lovely. The space is a nice one - at the top of Chestnut Hill. This is our neighborhood. We tend to eat elsewhere when we're looking for a special meal, because it's fun to check out the many excellent restaurants in Philadelphia and its suburbs. But this restaurant draws us to Chestnut Hill for a special meal because it's so good. And it's BYO - a common, $$-saving feature in the Philadelphia area. That compensates for the somewhat higher cost for the Thai food here compared to smaller, less up-scale Thai venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableBKmomVIPDined on 11/9/2013I really love Thai food at this place delivers. The food is fresh tasting, portions are ample. Prices are good.Special Features:
- fine meal with friendscarolngeorgeVIPDined on 10/31/2013Our first visit here: Went on Halloween, dinner for 5, friends from far. Staff had cute costumery, Rob was very nice and others too. Food met our needs perfectly. Every morsel was eaten up. We'll go back, just as a couple, and enjoy it in the future.
- Great restaurantAlexisDined on 10/28/2013This is a fantastic restaurant that hits it on every level. The food is fantastic - some of the best Thai I've had (and I've had Thai a lot!), great service, reasonable prices, pretty atmosphere. This is a place we come back to time and time again - just the two of us and with friends who then fall in love with it too!Special Features:
- Noisy foodgoodDined on 10/26/2013Really enjoyed good food & service. Requested table in back of restaurant and it was waiting for us on time. Only drawback was noise level. I will return for the ambience and food.Special Features:
- We ate outside and enjoyedLafayettehillfoodieVIPDined on 9/28/2013We ate outside and enjoyed everything we ordered. Nice BYO, so we enjoyed a few nice beers with the yummy Thai spices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as impressed as beforeJillBVIPDined on 9/21/2013This used to be a great place we went out of our way for on date night but we're over it. The menu is pared down and basic and a favorite dish was eliminated. Apps came out at a reasonable pace but things got stalled waiting for the pad thai entrée, which wasn't that great either. Service and atmosphere still please. A problem occurred when we needed to get out of there quickly to make it to our movie. The bill was on our table pronto but bringing back the credit card slip to sign wasn't. I don't like our credit card being out of our hands for too long for security reasons. The next day via phone call they told us they gave us the wrong bill and we signed off on someone else's credit card. Working it out but a bit of a nuisance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As the waiter said "you knowDisappointingDined on 9/7/2013As the waiter said "you know Thai food either too salty or to sweet.Special Features:
- Awesome Lunchdry2Dined on 9/6/2013This was an incredible meal. I had previously eaten at this restaurant on a Saturday night. Due to the small size and excellent food, the noise level was so loud we could not hear one another. I had suggested this restaurant for lunch for a friend's birthday. There were so many delicious items to choose on the menu, it was a hard decision. Everyone was so pleased with the food, service and ambiance. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thai FoodRSVPVIPDined on 8/12/2013Everything was delicious. A definite must if you love Thai or want to give it a try. Wish we lived closer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Thai GemRaysiteDined on 8/2/2013Loathe to share too much about this lovely, unexpectedly sophisticated top of the Hill spot but admit everyone I've brought there, from teens to octegenarians, has enjoyed our meals here. Lunches are as specially prepared and thoughtfully presented as dinners and feature creative and unusual choices along with the more familiar pad thai, curries and coconut soups, etc. Ingredients are notable for their freshness, never overcooked. The atmosphere is contemporary and tasteful. Service is outstanding for its genuine care and warm hospitality. This is true of owners and staff as well. Highly recommended for casual to fancier celebratory events. Outdoors seating in good weather. Remember this is a BYOB, but corkage is not greedily charged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Addicted to the Lettuce Wraps!!FoodieFloVIPDined on 7/21/2013I could eat their Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps everyday of my life! I love this place. Local, quaint BYOB with amazing food! The seafood pad pong karee dish should win awards. I recently had the scallop special. I've never had scallops cooked so perfectly, even at some of the finest, most expensive seafood restaurants in the city. It can get a little tight and noisy on the weekends, but mostly after the wine is flowing and everyone is in the spirit of the weekend. I've never had a bad experience here. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually pretty gooddcrdcrVIPDined on 7/17/2013Have eaten here 8 times. Twice it was less than great (bad soft shell crabs and overly greasy pad thai). The other times, it was really good. We've tried a lot o things on the menu, including the meat/fish on a hot stone thing. The stone is a bit too hot for delicate fish if you want the fish medium rare (like tuna). Other dishes have been delicious. Love the salads, spring rolls crispy and soft, and the way they show you the food and specials on the IPad is nice because it looks appealing. Service is usually decent--not top notch, but good enough most of the time. The outdoor dining option is nice when the weather permits. We've taken several friends here on different occasions and they've enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fresh and delicious.GuestVIPDined on 6/29/2013The food was fresh and delicious. The crabmeat and jasmine rice was excellent as well as the red curry shrimp which was SPICY. The shrimp were done to perfection. We had an assortment of appetizers which were also very good. Everyone at our table enjoyed their entrees except one person who doesn't like spicy food. We had shared the above mentioned red curry shrimp which I liked. I would definitely go back. The only complaint was that they would try to remove our dishes too quickly when were weren't quite done.Special Features:
- Decent ThaidennyDined on 6/18/2013The food and service were good but I wouldn't rave about it as some others have. Would I go again? Probably would to try other dishes although I won't rush back. There are many other places that I would try first.Special Features:
- OutstandingluvtoeatDined on 6/16/2013Everything was outstanding from the food to the service! Recommend highly!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick with the traditionalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/15/2013Stick with the traditional Thai food. We made the mistake of ordering a (non-thai) special, which was fine, but the Thai food was wonderful with generous portions and great flavor. Outside seating is a plus in good weather.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Service & LOUD patronsCDaleDaveDined on 6/9/2013I wanted to surprise my girlfriend with Babyface tickets at the Keswick & needed a place to eat close to the venue. So I chose this place. The food was very good. My only complaint was the hot stones. If they were 700 degrees, it was a very cool 700 degrees. I've eaten at places where stone cooking was an option many times, and this stone was not hot enough. My girlfriend had to send her scallops to be grilled in the kitchen because the stone wasn't cooking them. But that was minor. The LOUD three girls who sat next to us, rambunctiously talking, laughing & making loud noise ruined the eating experience for us. We paid the check & got out of there after eating. I would not recommend eating there if you want a quiet, outdoor experience.
- Great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/25/2013We took our friends there for a celebration and all had a delicious meals. Most of us had the stone meals and the quality of the meat and seafood was very good. It was a little difficult to hear our conversations but the food over shadowed that little flaw.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceTimbo19038Dined on 5/25/2013Our first time at Thai Kuu, it's BYOB, we forgot, but a wine and spirits shoppe is nearby. The Thai Iced Tea was a great substitute, though. Very tasty drinks! The food was great, my wife had the Shrimp Pad Thai and I had the duck soup special, both were generous servings and tasted great. We stated with the lettuce wraps, spicy and flavorful. And the Chocolate dessert was very good as well. Definitely recommend a reservation as the place fills up fast and Open Table made it easy to get one and hold our spot. Great neighbor gem tucked in at the top of the hill! The service was very good and the iPad photos for the specials is a great touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated friends' weddingdcrdcrVIPDined on 5/24/2013Celebrated friends' wedding anniversary with dinner at Thai Kuu. They had never been and loved the combo appetizer plate, house salad with avocado, green curry, lollipop lamb chops, and desserts of coconut ice cream, ginger creme brulee, and apple tart. We had brought some roses for our friends, cut from our garden, and the waiter found a vase for them for the table while we ate, and then wrapped them up again so they could take with them when we left. All in all, the dinner made for a memorable anniversary party for our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect getawayAllAboutGoodFoodDined on 5/24/2013I absolutely loved my experience . The ambience and the food were absolutely phenomnal!Special Features:
- Great foodBucksDinerDined on 5/12/2013We really enjoyed all the dishes - Pad Thai (made very spicy per request), crab fried rice, a shrimp dish - and the portions are substantial. Deserts, too, were excellent. My only (small) complaint is that the service, while friendly, could be a little more professional. I recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Love!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2013You can never go wrong with anything on the menu! Everything is fabulous; especially the yams!!!! I will absolutely be a frequent visitorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai Kuu brings Center CityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2013Thai Kuu brings Center City ambiance and very high quality Thai cuisine to the Chestnut Hill area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have been to Thai Kuu severalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2013Have been to Thai Kuu several times and have always been pleased. Food, as on the other occasions, was excellent and the service was great. The room is a little tight with tables close together and noisey.Special Features:
- the food was very good, as247foodieVIPDined on 4/20/2013the food was very good, as usual. waiter was quite nice, but the kitchen was obviously messed up [which is not the first time this has occurred] and and two entrees arrived 7 minutes before the others. not sure if this is the kitchen's fault or the waiter was forgetful, but this isn't the first time this has happened.' LASTLY, the noise level was WAY MORE than energetic. you should change the setting to "unbearable.," we couldn't hear one another without screaming. ' bottom line...saturday nights are OUT for this restaurant. perhaps during the week or outside [though that won't solve the slow kitchen issue]. might opt out of this restaurant in the future.Special Features:
- A great spot for Thai foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2013This was my first visit. I can sum everything up in just one word, "outstanding".Special Features:
- I know I can always countOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2013I know I can always count on a superbly delicious meal accompanied by a knowledgeable server, which is important when dining at an ethnic restaurant where you may not always be familiar with every dish. I have come to this restaurant many times and definitely recommend it to everyone I know.Special Features:
- Beautiful presentaion of FoodDrdlmDined on 3/31/2013Easter Sunday was very quiet at Thai Kuu. It was my first visit. The food was fresh, beautifully presented and very tasty. We will go again with friends.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2013My best friend came to visit from D.C. Since she loves Thai food I searched all around the city for places to go. Almost everywhere downtown was booked and I didn't feel like the whole parking situation. Thai Kuu was amazing because not only was there a parking lot but the ambiance, bar scene, and food was great. The prices were very affordable. It is a BYOB but there is a Wine and Spirits right across the streets which gives you the opportunity to save money on drinks. It's small but very quant! A ten thumbs.Special Features:
- What a gem. Lovely decorOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2013What a gem. Lovely decor with napkins folded like 'Birds of Paradise'. I went with three girlfriends and we all ordered from the $19.95 menu which gave us soup, appetizer, main dish, AND dessert. Great value for outstanding food! Everything was terrific; my soup (won ton chicken) and dessert (ginger creme brulee) were the best I ever had. BYOB keeps price down, and they provide everything except the alcohol. SUPER service as well. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Recently had lunch at ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/24/2013Recently had lunch at Thai Kuu - first time. The food was excellent! I ordered the spicy curry with vegetable dish and this is the first time anyone has asked me if I desired it 'spicier' than noted! Absolutely.....it was super spicey just the way I like my curry. My lunchmates opted for the green curry and Avocado salad. Delicious. A great find!Special Features:
- We love it here!! Food isOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/23/2013We love it here!! Food is amazing!! Everyone we bring here loves it too!
- Exceptional diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2013First time visit - will return. Beautiful ambiance...........quite quaint.Special Features:
- Found this place about a monthOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2013Found this place about a month ago. I love Thai food so I was very excited and I'm yet to be disappointed!Special Features:
- Service was a little odd.CestJoieDined on 3/6/2013Service was a little odd. Appetizers were exceptional. Entrees and desserts fair. It was really cold in there too!Special Features:
- great food, noisy accusticsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/23/2013great food, noisy accustics 3 tables in back a bit crampedSpecial Features:
- This was our 2nd visit, anddogfanDined on 2/22/2013This was our 2nd visit, and it went well, although possibly not as well as our first. Notwithstanding a scathing early review by a professional critic (as I recall), this is a good place, with lots of choices. It's fairly small, and seemed very noisy, perhaps because it was full on a Friday night (whereas our previous visit was during the week).
- Good food, friendly staff.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Good food, friendly staff. Only real complaint would be the limited space. Elbow to elbow with tables.