208 Ocean Ave.
Kennebunkport, ME 04046Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capearundelinn.com/
- Phone: 2079672125x
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pierre Gignac
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ocean
In the heart of this mostly residential enclave, in a converted circa-1895 Shingle Style house, sits Ocean. Though the Inn has existed in one permutation or another since the 1950s, and it has long held a reputation for well-appointed lodgings and fine dining. The Innkeepers have filled the building with a striking art collection that could make small New England museums envious, while Chef Gignac uses the dining room—with its awe-inspiring views—as a canvas upon which to create epicurean masterpieces. Pierre Gignac graduated from the Institut d’Hôtellerie et de Tourisme du Québec. Pierre chose to open his first restaurant in Ogunquit, Maine “98 Provence," which pleased locals, tourists and critics for 18 years, until it closed in 2012.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Ocean reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (178)special occasion (152)romantic (137)fit for foodies (124)neighborhood gem (36)notable wine list (34)good for groups (10)great for brunch (9)hot spot (9)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- View and Food A+MikeDined on 6/29/2014I'll toss in service too. An excellent restaurant with a great view of the Gulf of Maine. The special gazpacho was a real highlight. My poached lobster with passion fruit butter was outstanding. My chocolate gateau was OK, the wife's Meyer Lemon Tart surpassed it. Prices are what you expect for this level.Special Features:
- Amazing views and mealmjgreenvilleDined on 6/28/2014We had a wonderful view of the ocean at sunset. The meal was incredible. It was worth the price. We will definitely eat here again on our next visit.Special Features:
- Good dinnerFoodie2VIPDined on 6/28/2014The revamp of this restaurant is a definite improvement. The food was vey good. The con was the wine list - it wasn't very interesting but it was fine. The lobster appetizer was delicious. For a main, we both had the swordfish. It was good but the fish was a bit too hidden under the nut crust. Overall, everything was good but not perfect. It's always a lovely view.Special Features:
- oceanmainerDined on 6/28/2014The service was very good. Menu is varied and has something for everyone. Dinners served are delicious and beautifully plated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean delivers delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014Always a good decision to have a meal here. Came early for drinks and appetizers on the front porch. The view is stunning, the staff is young, friendly and accommodating. Moved into dining room for set reservation time. The lamb entrée was divine. A cheese course for dessert always is a preference for me but dessert selections are just as appealing. Good selection of wines by the glass if you don't want a bottle. Memorable dining and will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedTibojDined on 6/26/2014Same great service and food year after year. Great menu...nothing too complex but everything is well done and so tasty! See you in 2015Special Features:
- dinner for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014Having driven down the coast from our summer home we were delighted with the setting of the Inn. What a picture postcard it was. The meal was all it should have been, delicious from start to finish. Thank you for a wonderful experience. We will be back again.Special Features:
- ImprovingcmbnovaVIPDined on 6/22/2014Under the guidance of a new chef, we had a great dinner this past week. Absolutely superb presentation and preparation. Go earlier for the view. We enjoyed the lobster and the lamb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014The dining room is gorgeous - all blue and white with stunning views of Walker's Point and beyond. Menu is great with something to appeal to all. Specials are too good sounding to pass up (and don't). Service outstanding. Well worth the price for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Beautiful view, great foodvacationdiner111Dined on 6/18/2014I would rate this an overall 4 star, but taking away 1 for the service. The food was great, and we were greeted warmly by the hotel receptionist and host. However, our server was not very great. Not sure if he is just very socially awkward, or if he decided not to give us his best when we didn't order wine/alcohol to get the bill up for his tip. We ordered appetizers and dessert along with our entrees, and we weren't looking to stiff him, but he was just not interested in serving us. It definitely took away from the experience.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food and settingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2014When we first came to Maine 45 years ago, it was hard to find a good place to eat that wasn't a lobster shack. My how things have changed! And Ocean is one of the bright stars on my list. The setting has a 180 degree view of the ocean and a drink on the porch is well advised to soak up the view. The food is as good, if not better than anything in NYC. A soup of yellow tomatoes and avacodo sorbet set the bar high, and the entrees were fabulous. I had the duck breast and my wife the lamb. The peach tart was the best I have ever had. The complimentary champaign for our anniversary topped off the night. This is one meal we will remember forever.Special Features:
- Loved everything about it.2SCfoodiesDined on 6/16/2014We were pointed in this direction for Sunday brunch and it was absolutely amazing. The good was a 10 and the view of the Ocean from the porch was a 10+. You could also see the Bush Compound from anywhere in the restaurant or porch. We loved it so much we went back the next night for dinner and were blown away again. It will be on our list to go there every time we are in Kennebunkport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014dishes were overly ambitious; too much spice or strange combinations that did not work together. Loved the old restaurants, would not recommend new version to others.
- Don't miss this oneLauletDined on 6/13/2014Besides the excellent ocean views and immaculate dining room and excellent staff....the menu and food was also wonderful. Food well prepared and interesting.Special Features:
- Memory MakerLocalDinerDined on 6/10/2014The Cape Arundel Inn / Ocean dining room provided a memorable wedding anniversary experience since our first visit many years ago when it was known as the Seacrest Inn . We are native Maine residents and highly recommend Ocean to residents and folks 'from away'.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014We had an absolutely wonderful time. Outstanding food, and you could not ask for a prettier view! I have to say that our server, Laura, made the experience even better - it is rare to find such great service. Our nine year old daughter Emma is still talking about the experience almost a week later. Thank you!Special Features:
- BW02012014Dined on 6/9/2014The view was exceptional. The food was very good. The noise level was very low. Would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- PerfectctsoundDined on 6/7/2014Came back for a birthday dinner this past weekend and the menu was interesting and the taste was outstanding.Special Features:
- SpecialbdpmVIPDined on 6/2/2014We have enjoyed this place for years...it did go thru a new management time that for us was rocky...but it is renewed to another GREAT dining experience.Special Features:
- Everything came togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2014Ocean is well known for its ambience, as most tables have a nice water view. But the food and service were both excellent as well. We had luscious foie gras and tasty beet salad for starters, and the flounder special and lamb as mains were both perfectly cooked. A cocktail with gin, St. Germain, sparkling wine, and whole blueberries was delicious, as were the red Bourdeaux and Cote du Rhone by the glass. We shared the multi-part chocolate dessert and it hit the spot to top off a memorable meal. Service was friendly and efficient. This was a restaurant that would hold its own in Boston, and we don't say that lightly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & great scenic viewhate2dineDined on 5/29/2014"I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. I definitely would return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best South of PortlandlittlebayDined on 5/24/2014Perhaps the best in all of Maine. The chef here is is amazing, the food close to perfect and the setting overlooking the ocean incredible. Away from the ticky tacky cut of Kenebunk this place is a real find. EnjoySpecial Features:
- no3betterDined on 5/24/2014third time at resturant, please stop serving pork bellies, it seems to take away,from the food it comes with!! totally fat, i dont know if some people like it? it just seems like some thing i'd feed my dog' it takes away from the presentation of your plate' sorry, i like the resturant very much , substutude for those who don't like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 226 reviews are from the Ocean reviews archive.
- Very good restaurantFrenchcanadianDined on 5/17/2014Very good food, nice view, reasonable prices... a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sallydickrosenDined on 5/11/2014The view of the ocean, the excellent cuisine and wine and great service made for a memorable mother's day dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchKarineLivesInPADined on 5/11/2014Elegant with out being stuffy, food is just as discribed on the web site. Good portions, service was very pleasant. Not rushed or overbearing, just enough attentiveness. The view is outstanding and good fortune we were there on a beautiful day! I have been for dinner as well, that meal was also beautifully done. We were 3 guests for brunch which was $77.00. The Cape Arundel Inn web site give the prices. I recommend that you prepare yourself as I did, so you are not surprised. I also recommend reservations to avoid disappointment. If you are visiting Kennebunkport and wish a great meal with pleasant surroundings, Ocean is it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely LovelyHusbandIsAChefDined on 5/10/2014While visiting the area with friends from CA, we're from MA, we asked some locals about this place. They just reopened with a new chef which made us a little nervous. Ocean is a small restaurant inside what looks like a large, beautiful home, and we had a lovely time. The food was absolutely outstanding - one of the best meals I've had in a long time. We had to submit our dinner order all at once which we thought was odd until my husband (chef) explained that the chef must like to control the timing aspect from the kitchen. Our meal was perfectly timed, perfectly cooked, and absolutely delicious. HIGHLY RECOMMEND if you want to go out for a special meal. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKennebunkFoodieDined on 5/3/2014The food was absolutely fantastic, the ambience wonderful and the view beautiful. I can't recommend it enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate setting, wonderful viewSherpaDined on 5/3/2014This restaurant is in the Cape Arundel Inn and has a fantastic view of the ocean, along with the Bush's summer home. Wait staff was attentive and friendly, and the meals were cooked perfectly. You may want to be in something better than flip-flops and a tank top when dining here. Not for those looking to dine cheaply (~$30 meal), but the quality is superb. Great for special occasions (anniversary, etc).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Pierre TableMikeDined on 4/18/2014Family style supper with a group of people you don't know. This is the Excellent idea that Chef Pierre had for friday nights. We have the rastaurant to ourselves. Great way to eat great food and meet new people at the same time. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OceanOgtBeachDined on 4/6/2014We went for a special occasion (a birthday) we made reservations and they sat us at a beautiful table which was ready and waiting. The service and staff were friendly and attentive. I would highly recommend Ocean to everyone! Chef Pierre is fabulous and creates works of art in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent gourmet restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2014Great French cuisine. Everything was outstanding. The desserts were extra nice. Nice views of the ocean as well. Would definetly come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location, location, locationOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/5/2014The decor and the view are both beautiful. After dinner, we asked if we could sit in the waiting area which is a room filled with candles, a fireplace, comfy couches and a beautiful ocean view. We ordered a scotch to enjoy along with the atmosphere. It was incredibly romantic! I felt like it was our own private home. I also had no complaints about the food. My only minor complaint was that I felt a little rushed by the kitchen. They wanted us to put our entree order in right away even though the dining room was only half full the entire time we were there. Otherwise, the waitstaff was knowledgeable and kind. I would readily come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Justin Walker Rules!!!LVE2EATDined on 2/20/2014The fixed price dinner at Ocean on Thursday night was absolutely fantastic. The service was spot on, the dinner was over the top with some of my favorite ingredients. I think in the middle of an incredibly bad winter (weather wise), this is just what the doctor ordered. Had such a great dinner, will go to another dinner there this winter, and I highly recommend it to my friends and family. Bravo!! P.S. I knew the food would be spectacular. Have been to Earth many times and have always had a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally amazing!Linda2014VIPDined on 2/20/2014Ocean was totally amazing! The views are breathtaking with it's majestic setting on the Atlantic ocean! The sun setting was even spectacular through the cloud cover! The service was impeccable, friendly and white give without any pretense! The new decor in the dining room is warm, inviting and simply elegant! The outer area part of the lobby with beautiful views and fireplace is a wonderful spot for a pre dinner drink! Highly recommend Ocean, love it and will return as soon as we can! This is a do not miss!!! If you can book a room at the Cape Arundel Inn. The rooms are charming and spectacular! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING ...A ROMANTIC GEMLieutenantDined on 2/15/2014This restaurant is a sensational find for any visitor to the Kennebunkport area. The location overlooks the ocean and President Bush's estate which provides a soothing, relaxing view. The food was excellent which captivated all of your taste buds. Although my girlfriend did not enjoy the Goat cheese ice cream, I found it quite delicious and a welcomed part to the other half of the dessert. Service was excellent and the staff friendly and helpful when ordering. All in all, the Ocean Restaurant at the Cape Arundel Inn is a romantic gem and I will be visiting several more times before the year is out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Dinner WinnerrowlandwDined on 2/14/2014Took wife here for dinner at 7:30 PM on V-Day. We are a retired couple in early 60s who enjoy good value dining but need to observe a budget. We got excellent value for a reasonable but not inexpensive price. We got a table for two overlooking the moonlit, storm-tossed Atlantic. Restaurant was full but no sense of crowding and no feeling of being moved along to free up the table. Atmosphere was cozy, cheery and welcoming as befits a 120-year-old Maine inn on the coast which must appreciate the winter trade of year-rounders which we are. Our server recommended an excellent wine. Extra credit - the restaurant only opened the night before during a snowstorm after their winter break but never missed a beat. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much to complain aboutDrDaveDined on 2/14/2014I booked the day before valentines day, which I feel I was lucky to actually get a reservation. Only complaint is parking, which seemed very limited but could have been due to amount of snow on the ground. Food was great, took a little while, but bottle of wine held us over until then. Most likely would only go back for special occasions, since it's pricy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines '14BillDined on 2/14/2014Outstanding location for a special night with superlative cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Experience to RemembergertrudeandheadcliffDined on 2/14/2014Ocean front dining with views through big windows of surf crashing on a rocky coastline and a full moon sparkling on the water, from a beautiful warm dining room with sumptuous furnishings, created a wonderful setting for a Valentine's Day celebration. And the highlight of the evening was the incredible food that burst with flavor and was so delicately prepared, the great wine and spirits (although cocktails are pricey!) and really special service from an attentive waiter whose timing was impeccable. She gave us lots of space and time to savor our evening together, yet we never wanted for anything at anytime. Her service was absolutely perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.