Smith & Wollensky - New York
797 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Smith & Wollensky - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smithandwollenskynyc.com/
- Phone: 2127531530
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:45am-3:00pm
Monday - Friday 3:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Victor Chavez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Wine
A word from Smith & Wollensky - New York
One of America's most successful restaurants, this New York steakhouse opened in 1977 and has been a hit ever since. It is one of the most trafficked restaurants in New York City and among the most celebrated steakhouses in the world. Specializing in fresh seafood and lobster and assorted steaks and chops, Smith & Wollensky is well recognized for its healthy portions, seasoned service staff and pop Americana ambience. The painted wood exterior is dark forest green trim on sparkling white, with latticework trim. The elegant interior has turn-of-the-century appeal and design elements including shining brass, dark wood accents and polished wood floors. Adjacent to Smith & Wollensky's is Wollensky's Grill. The Grill (entrance on 49th St) is open from 11:30AM till 2:00AM but does not accept reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Smith & Wollensky - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
325 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (168)notable wine list (127)fit for foodies (112)good for groups (95)romantic (47)great for lunch (47)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (19)great for outdoor dining (17)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was average at best. Way overpriced for what you get.
- Good time great steakthedarkestknightDined on 8/16/2014Legendary spot for steaks in Manhattan. The food was real good. Found it funny that the waiter never really asked us what we wanted for drinks, had to call him back for the three I had. Also found it weird that the place was only about 2/3's full at 8:00 on a Saturday night when we were leaving. We at early with a long train ride north home. I would recommend eating here for special occasions or with friends.Special Features:
- Steak was all wrong. Overcrowded.ftbowersDined on 8/15/2014This is the first online review I have ever written, because until now, I have never been so disappointed that I felt the need to make others aware of my experience. I ordered the 18 oz sirloin, but what actually came was most certainly no more than 12 oz. I ordered medium rare, and it came out on the well done side of medium. Having been eating steak at the finest steakhouses around the world for the past 25 years, I know what an 18 oz medium rare sirloin looks like, and this most certainly wasn't it. This most certainly wasn't a $50 steak. Regarding the ambience of the place, I found the tables to be extraordinarily small and crowded. My overall impression of Smith & Wollensky is that this is a restaurant trading on past reputation.
- Good steakElBiDined on 8/15/2014Good steak, big portion, very us style but a bit expensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A NY StandardCTfoodieDined on 8/15/2014Went to S&W for a 60th birthday dinner and was not disappointed. The food was impeccable and the service very friendly and efficient. We made our theatre time without no problem and did not feel rushed in any way. If you're looking for a great steak, lobster or lamb chops this is the place. The waiter brought us a Rock & Rye after dinner, which was a lovely, unexpected after dinner treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendationhstrybuffDined on 8/14/2014Would have felt better if 2 sides had been included with our very excellent steakSpecial Features:
- Service ExcellentmatsonDined on 8/14/2014We celebrating 59 year anniversary. They gave us great attention and service. We had a filet and baked potato, both were cooked to perfection and generous portions. If we are in NYC again, we would go back.
- Perfect Steak DinnerMikeDined on 8/14/2014Really a delightful meal. Shrimp cocktail was special, so were the filets and the creamed spinach. Dessert was a bit small for the price. Overall, would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but very well worth itNunchyDined on 8/14/2014This was my first time dining here with my 8 year old. I have been here on business dinners previously. The staff were brilliant and it really added to the occasion. It was a brilliant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect apart from the foodJohan114Dined on 8/13/2014I had been recommended S&W by a friend who shared my taste in steak dinners. The place was magically ambient, and the service at just the right level. We ordered the Porterhouse, and instead of Medium rare it came out rare. Instead of bursting with flavour the piece of meat was bland and meaningless. I would have expected a better selection of meat for an establishment such as this. On a side note, the meat was as close to cold as is possible.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014rude service, we felt guilty for asking about the cut of steaks we were about to spend $70 each on. plates were plonked on the table and got the feeling they wanted us to leave to move the tables over. no thanks.
- A classic!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/12/2014The ultimate classic steak house. The great food was accompanied by excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014An ok steak restaurant....it was our second time eating here.....expensive and waiters including bar staff are v rude....the cost is way too excessive given the below par service. Will not be going back a third time.
- Great Placeclaygirl1965Dined on 8/9/2014As two of NYC's many visitors (first timers and unfamiliar), finding great places to eat can be tricky - especially if you are trying to find places popular with locals rather than tourists. Of all things, my husband & I found you on our Hop-on Hop-off tour. We immediately made reservations for that night. I'm happy we did. We came early to have a drink at the bar and found our bar-mates to be wonderful. The food and service was outstanding. I would recommend Smith & Wollensky to anyone.Special Features:
- Well done! :)PaveloDined on 8/8/2014As above mentioned, i've done always a good choice. I've often eaten in this restaurant. I'll come back...Special Features:
- DisappointedEnyouartistDined on 8/8/2014We ordered the two porterhouse for two, filet mignon, and the cowboy ribeye. All four guests at the table had to use salt and pepper to season their steak! For an expensive dry aged steak, having no flavor is just confounding. Furthermore, how hard is it to have a consistency in doneness? We asked for medium rare, and only the ribeye was fine...the powerhouse steak was cold red in the middle, and definitely very rare, not medium rare like we requested.
- OK....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Food was average...not what I was expecting from Smith and Wollensky. One gem was the pea soup - it was incredible. Steak was below average.
- Real American SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Great quality of food. Big choice of steaks. Classical NYC atmosphere. Waiters not interested to explain the menu!!!! One of them in particular, disappointed for our requests of explanation on the menu, left us and another waiter served us. Unaccettable behaviour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceDineVIPDined on 8/2/2014Terrible service . Waiters were not attentive and slow service .Special Features:
- Best steak in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014Every year we go to a different NY steak restaurant for my wife's birthday. This year was Smith & Wollensky. Although we've both lived in NY for more than 20 years, neither of us had been. We have been missing out! The food, the service, and the whole experience was great. I even told them when making the reservation that it was her birthday, and they surprised us with a complimentary piece of fantastic cheesecake with a candle in it (plus they sang happy birthday!) I would absolutely recommend it for a birthday, any other special occasion, or just a great dinner for work or friends.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceDisappointedDined on 7/30/2014This was my second time, I came back again because the first time was so perfect, the second time was even better! I have never had a better meal in my life. The ambiance is incredible. Was there for my wedding anniversary, I reside in Massachusetts and want to travel back to New York just to go to this location. I have been to the Smith & Wollensky in Boston and it is not to the standards for food or ambiance as the original in New York. The service from the door man, the hostess, the bartender, and the wait staff are all exceptional. I only wish I lived closer so I could frequent more. I absolutely recommend Smith & Wollensky in New York only!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steaksstepinoutDined on 7/28/2014we used open table to make our arrangements for smith and wollensky and was greatly delighted at how easy the process was, yay!! we had a lovely experience at smith and woolensky steak house. it was a great find.Special Features:
- ExpensivembgdineDined on 7/27/2014I think you go to S&W for the experience, prices are extremely high, especially on wine. Opions exist in NYC for just as good of a steak at a more reasonable price point. Service is fantastic however and the waiters are as attentive as they come.Special Features:
- acclark1VIPDined on 7/27/2014Took my 12 year old grand daughter visiting from Mississippi - she had seen the restaurant on T V - The waiter was fantastic -most understanding and kind- we had a great meal- soft-shell crabs - oysters - steak - lamb chops - and chocolate ice cream - she was very happy and had a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My girlfriend's birthday.guitardoctor1Dined on 7/26/2014It was very special. Our first visit. Food was excellent and the service was exceptional. We are definitely going back again.......with friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak high!LisapizzaDined on 7/26/2014Classic steak house with male waiters in tan suit jackets and aprons! Try the Colorado steak or Prime rib... Cooked to perfection just the way you like! The salad wedge with blue cheese and bacon is a perfect start to your steak dinner. End your meal with the coconut cake and passion fruit sauce OMG you will be on cloud 9! I am still on a steak high from my delicious meal! I recommend this restaurant to everyone... Just bring a fat wallet though cuz it is pricey... Remember though, it's NYC! Happy steak-ing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TampaTonyVIPDined on 7/25/2014Shellfish appetizer was fantastic, the steaks were cooked perfectly, and the wine was excellent. Service was great and we sat immediately at our reservation time. Highly reccommend dinner here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, superb steaks!FoodiefanaticDined on 7/25/2014If you're looking for a place where attention to detail isn't just limited to the food, then you have come to the right spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Great Steak House and very good ambience, also for a family diningSpecial Features:
- One of my favorites.Southern1Dined on 7/24/2014I love this place! Always a meal to remember. Service unmatched anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Haven't been to S&W in awhile. The food is impressive and the service even better. My dinner brought back great memories from the past. I recommend this place if you want to close a business deal or say thank you to a valued client.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beLuifer23VIPDined on 7/23/2014Had not been in a number of years. Very expensive for the price. Food was OK at best. There a number of places that much better food and steaks for much less. . Service slow and forgot the wine and after a couple of reminders brought it while were already on our entrees saying they could not find the bottle I ordered so he decided to just bring another one. Not going back, period.Special Features:
- Remarkable qualitySteakisGreatDined on 7/23/2014Food, wine, service. Everything together makes it a one of a kind experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazong steakLuv2dineDined on 7/22/2014The food is excellent (even deserts), especially steaks and sides will not reach your expectations when you try the steak. However it is rather crouded but around 9pm you'll find it great! I will definitely go back there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent and v honest serviceAnnieDVIPDined on 7/22/2014very good service staff. I calculated my tip wrong and they came back to help me recalculate the final bill. food is good.Special Features:
- NIfoodieDined on 7/21/2014Quick and attentive service, a fantastic menu with something to suit everyone. I can't recommend the Rib Steak high enough, one of the best I've ever eaten ... I'll most definitely be returning when I'm back in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hammer2157Dined on 7/21/2014The food was not good at all. Porterhouse steak was fatty and had to be removed from the table. This was not a good experience.
- too much noiseppizaVIPDined on 7/19/2014The noise was that high that I could not hear the waiter nor my family. Service was bad, the waiter did not bring some stuff I ordered. I will not come back again
- Babs from London, UKBabsDined on 7/19/2014I made a booking for Smith and Wollensky in advance from London. We were only in New York for 2 days and it is a must! We had a very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SophiebearDined on 7/19/2014Went here as a birthday treat restaurant was very nice if a little cold from air con menu for starters was limited desserts were good & there was a good selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.