Smith & Wollensky - New York
797 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Smith & Wollensky - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smithandwollenskynyc.com/
- Phone: 2127531530
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:45am-3:00pm
Monday - Friday 3:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Victor Chavez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Wine
A word from Smith & Wollensky - New York
One of America's most successful restaurants, this New York steakhouse opened in 1977 and has been a hit ever since. It is one of the most trafficked restaurants in New York City and among the most celebrated steakhouses in the world. Specializing in fresh seafood and lobster and assorted steaks and chops, Smith & Wollensky is well recognized for its healthy portions, seasoned service staff and pop Americana ambience. The painted wood exterior is dark forest green trim on sparkling white, with latticework trim. The elegant interior has turn-of-the-century appeal and design elements including shining brass, dark wood accents and polished wood floors. Adjacent to Smith & Wollensky's is Wollensky's Grill. The Grill (entrance on 49th St) is open from 11:30AM till 2:00AM but does not accept reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Smith & Wollensky - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
309 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (151)notable wine list (117)fit for foodies (93)good for groups (78)romantic (45)great for lunch (43)neighborhood gem (41)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (29)great for outdoor dining (16)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014Excellent doorman, excellent Maitre D, excellent waiter, excellent staff, excellent food, excellent dining experience. - Thanks for a great night out.
- Excellent steaks !PJ2DKDined on 7/17/2014We are a family of 5 and this was our first visit to NYC together. S&W was recommended by a good friend - and it was an excellent experience. Good food - excellent steaks - good and balanced service - friendly despite a busy and full restaurant. Relaxed seniority from Vlado and his colleagues. A must dinnerplace next time we come from Europe to NYC.Special Features:
- great meatgourmandDined on 7/17/2014the filet mignon was super cooked just right and heavenly; wine list great to fit all tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticAnniversary2luvDined on 7/17/2014I had a great time! Great service, great food, great fun. Highly recommend! Wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steak paradisemfox10Dined on 7/13/2014Awesome Environment, nice casual restaurant with outstanding food. The steak was very good, I had the rib eye and hash browns and they were both outstanding. All of the staff was very nice, knowledgeable and attentive. I would definitely recommend it to steak lovers.
- disappointing service, BYE BYE.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2014food is good as always, but the serving time is very long. i can understand it is a busy time but at least someone can serve a little not leaving the dirty table there and having us wait for 25 min between two courses. each time we tried to get the server we have to wait for more than 5 min. if he was serving other people that would be understandable but we just can't see him anywhere. and we wait for another 10 min to tell him that we ordered the desert from the beginning then endless time for someone to take the credit card. finally i gave up and took the bill and card to look for someone can charge me, then a plus size server shouted to me to look for my server with a big attitude. i don pay $200 for your attitude.Special Features:
- Best prime I've ever hadFoodiesDined on 7/11/2014The food was amazing and the service very attentive but not intrusive. Best prime rib I have ever had,! The sommelier recommended a wine that was cheaper than the one I had intended to order and it was fantastic! Can't ask for more than that!Special Features:
- !st Call for 40 yearsSMOKIEDined on 7/10/2014When I think of THE PERFECT NY STEAK HOUSE there's only 1 choice....Smith & Wollensky....I celebrated my birthday there on July 10th. As usual....everything was perfect! It's the real deal.....Best steak House in NYC....and I've tried them all!Special Features:
- Good meat, slow serviceeporresDined on 7/10/2014Consistent for food, inconsistent for service. Slow going, perhaps because it was such a beautiful summer day.Special Features:
- Not for a Romantic Meal for Two2ChapterDined on 7/9/2014Myself and my Wife Dined here on our last night in New York. Whilst the Steak was good the noise level in the Room was Deafening and we could only make ourselves heard by shouting. The restaurant is a Male dominated Business mans environment with hardly any females dining. Suggest Couples Avoid, this is not a restaurant to go for a quiet meal!!
- Mix messageOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/7/2014Fantastic meat, very good meals in general, very good wine selection. However complemented by very poor service, most of the waiters are ignoring the needs of customers, are entirely passive in any interaction (may be company policy?), spending much more time chatting together and not looking after customer needs. Pity.Special Features:
- MavisDined on 7/6/2014Best tasty steak we have ever had. Helpful and friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Excellent steakcitykittyDined on 7/6/2014Being from Chicago, I've eaten at the original Smith and Wollensky and the New York outpost definitely does NOT disappoint! The only steak I've had that was almost as juicy and tender a few days later, microwaved, as it was in the restaurant. The creamed spinach is a MUST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all around.Kimmy860Dined on 7/5/2014Took a friend here for his birthday. It was his first time. Food was excellent. One of the best filet mignons he has had to date. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ExcitedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014Best steak I'v had in a long time, and I try all the high end steakhouses. I asked the server which to get the big bone in strip or the ribeye. He said ribeye and it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food1sttimeinNYDined on 7/4/2014The meal was great, but I didnt like the seating... This was a get away weekend for me and my wife... Well they seated an older couple at the table next to us and the man started talking to us right away which was ok at first... But he never stopped talking to us even when our meal came... And the more he talked the louder he got and some of his thoughts and comments were very out dated... I think even the staff there knew that he was becoming a problem to us.... I would go back but next time ask for a booth!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss the Post HousePostHouseRefugeDined on 7/4/2014Dinner was wonderful; but for those of us who loved the Post House, we miss it. Drinks and steak, as usual, were wonderful.Special Features:
- spelling of redwineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014The waiter seemed rushed and fussy. He pulled a glass of wine over my husband's white shirt and new pants. No help from the staff, we chose dessert and coffee at another restaurant. we gave no tip!
- Great Experiencelrk8138Dined on 7/3/2014This was an all around great experience. The service: The bartender was fun to chat with during our pre - dinner drink and led us through an impromptu vodka taste test. The waiter was attentive but not overbearing. The sommelier was unpretentious and knowledgeable. The food: The bone - in filet was delicious and the sides complimented the meal nicely. The wine list was extensive and we splurged on a bottle of Screaming Eagle... one you don't see on a wine list much! The coconut cake is definitely deserving of all the hype. Worth a visit when in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as usualwinewineanddineDined on 7/3/2014unfortunately, this visit didn't satisfy. the split pea soup and tuna tatar were a sure shot. the recommended wine was excellent. however, the steaks, fries and spinach were not at their usual level. maybe just good old murphy striking... we were offered coffee and dessert for the inconvenience. a nice gesture!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic steakhouseCitydinerVIPDined on 6/30/2014Excellent service, save for the rookie waiter, who, fortunately was replaced with a standard server. Great specialty appetizer of lobster, lump crab and some of the largest shrimp I've ever seen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good locationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014I've been to a lot of steak houses in NYC and this rates high up there but with Beef prices being so high right now the price of dinner is outrageous. The location to major hotels on the east side is the key to selecting this place since you can just walk around the corner and be there. Service was good and we were seated right away too. Good place if you want a steak.
- Carl- Head Chef Very accommodatingTrainerDined on 6/28/2014Halibut was very good but the portion for $35 was like 6 oz. In a plate and everything of course is a la carte but I expect that at a steak house. Cauliflower really good and jumbo shrimp cocktail nice size and fresh. Steak wasn't special sirloin was fatty on the outside. That should not be for $50 steak at smith and wollensky. Wine list is beyond impressive but nothing at a reasonable price at all. They need to have wines under $50 a bottle. There house wine by there name is good though but $19 a glass? On a positive note because it was our anniversary they gave me a complimentary glass-Special Features:
- arthurarthurDined on 6/27/2014Good people, good service. However I asked medium- well done steak and thew waiter twice gave the wrong steak which was medium. Restaurant is quite expensive compare to what you are getting.
- Great Steakhouse!shutterbugnycDined on 6/27/2014We've been to Smith & Wollensky's several times and we've always enjoyed the food there. The service is outstanding...waiters who've been working there for years. We both had steaks, creamed spinach, fries, Wollensky salad and the pea soup. Everything was delicious, except for the fries which tasted like they were soaked in salt before they fried them up. I definitely wouldn't order the fries again, but I would everything else and add a baked potato, instead of their salty fries.Special Features:
- Huge portions matched by pricesPBVSawgrassDined on 6/26/2014While the food is quite good, the portions are tremendous with prices to match. The wine list is extensive with a few bottles under $60; most are higher. The restaurant was quite full when we were there on a weekday evening and very noisy. Our waiter was distracted by a large table of Asians who were obviously not local.Special Features:
- ADN1VIPDined on 6/26/2014# 1 Bone in ribeye steak in NYC, service is great and the food is always consistenent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleKJB123Dined on 6/25/2014Our server constantly ignored our table as he was too occupied with taking care of one other table. Its too expensive of a restaurant to get terrible service at.
- How the Mighty Have FallenmyvueVIPDined on 6/25/2014This used to be a temple for great steaks. I found the sirloin, the fillet, and the standing rib (there were three of us) rather mediocre, and incorrectly cooked in one case. The sautéed spinach was barely sautéed and the french fries no better than average. The waiters seemed more interested in conversation with each other than with our table's needs. The cost was way out of proportion with the value. I don't think I would return. Disappointedly yours, "myvue"
- Best steaks in town!SontehDined on 6/24/2014Rustic but bustling atmosphere, delicious steaks, great service. A must in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When Titans FallWellSeasonedDined on 6/24/2014This was the least favorite $500 meal for 3 I've ever had. Pros: Great apps, fresh seafood. Cons: The rest of the meal. Steaks: Poorly cooked but no seasoning. My rib steak, ordered medium was medium in the middle, but completely well done on over half of the steak. That means the grill master had it on too high of a heat. My companions filets were properly cooked, but had no seasoning. Sides: Creamed Spinach brought to the table was ice cold. Once we go the waiters attention he quickly brought another hot one, but failed to remove our side plates filled with cold spinach. Amateur move. Mac N Cheese was great, Asparagus was steamed with no seasoning. Desert menu was coffee stained, dog eared & ink stained. Disgusting, as was the carrot cake
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/23/20143 of us ordered the fillet mignon and I ordered ribeye. All were charred to death and tasteless. French fries was oily and taste old. The only thing good were the bread.
- KKROLVIPDined on 6/22/2014Great food & great service!! We had split pea soup, filet mignon & lobster tails - all were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch Service and FoodScullybutcherDined on 6/22/2014If you are looking for a classic New York steak house, with great service this is the place for you. We started with 6 shrimp cocktail which was perfectly cooked the fresh grated horse radish added the perfect compliment to the cocktail sauce and the ginger dipping sauce was also quite a fresh tasting alternative. Next up was the clams casino. When they first came I was a little skeptical because of the crumbs on top but they were so flavorful and delicious. Followed by wedge and a ceaser salad both topped with excellent dressings. I had a Rib Steak my wife had a Filet and Lobster Tail. All cooked perfect and great selection of beef. Desert was the best coconut cream cake ever made. The steak sauce is also great but not neededSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak, aged to perfection!DanaluvVIPDined on 6/21/2014Over all, we were very pleased with our meal. My husband's only disappointment was that the wedge salad was just iceberg lettuce with dressing, but no bacon or diced tomato, the way we usually find it. My clam chowder was delectable but I had to leave some to make room for entree. Hubby loved his bone in ribeye -said it was perfect!! My halibut was also tender and delicious. Dessert was also yummy-chocolate moo's cake complete with cow cookie! Only complaint about ambiance- seating was in a high traffic zone and chair kept getting bumped into by passing wait staff. Was afraid the food would end up on my husband's head. Some of the waiters must have been there for 20 years or more. Will definitely come back or try the one in Phila too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and good waiterDanaDined on 6/21/2014At S&W for a 60th birthday celebration. Reservations were easy, On Line, but calling re birthday candels , as a surprise, was most pleasant. The waiter, Tim was knowledgeable and helpful. At dessert, bringing bday girls with candle as asked, wait staff sang without being asked=sweet. Bill included pre figured out tip for several percentages. Ladies room was pleasant, except for one stall door without lock.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- big patbronxvikingDined on 6/20/2014smith and wollenskys has been on my list of resturants to try for a while now and after having experienced this fine resturant once , i can tell you i'll be back . the food was top notch, the service great but not over bearing ....both steaks were done to perfection, the shrimp were fantastic and the mac and cheese could be the best i have ever tried .the server richard was a pleasure to meet, he chatted away with my wife about ireland and life in new york , but never intruded on our dinning experience.after dinner we walked around to the grill for a drink and were charmed to meet shamus and oliver two of new yorks top barmen indeed . it will not be long before we are back at smith and wollenskysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- donotneedanicknameVIPDined on 6/20/2014It is great that they are open all day - great steak and seafood - ate there mid afternoon good time to go, very attentive service from Mark.Special Features:
- Tried and trueKggfoodieVIPDined on 6/18/2014Great food and very consistent. There's something on the menu for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/15/2014Excellent steak at astronomical prices. Not a place I'll rush back to.