2132 Florida Ave., N.W
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.noras.com/
- Phone: 2024625143
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nora Pouillon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Restaurant Nora
In April 1999, Restaurant Nora became America's first certified organic restaurant. This means that 95% or more of everything that you eat at the restaurant has been produced by certified organic growers and farmers all who share in Nora's commitment to sustainable agriculture. Nora always offers seasonal, fresh organic food, prepared in a healthy, balanced way and enjoys a "big following" of environmentalists and politicians, who can eat here with a clear conscience, knowing that what's on their plate hasn't polluted the environment, is healthy for them, and tastes good too. Nora offers a special chef's tasting menu, which is perfectly accompanied by a spectacular choice of wines from our award winning wine list, featuring over 100 exceptional wines from small wine producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant Nora reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (142)fit for foodies (139)romantic (102)neighborhood gem (85)notable wine list (74)good for groups (21)hot spot (12)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Love Organic!luvorganicfoodDined on 6/7/2014The food was excellent. Beet salad with goat cheese followed by scallops (from Maine) on a bed of risotto. Service was superb and I enjoyed talking with the server about organic food and sharing a couple of recipes! It was our first time dining at Restaurant Nora and we will definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- delightful!Johnny18Dined on 6/6/2014A delightful, creative dining experience. I look forward to coming back again when I'm in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect..OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2014couldn't have been better...the food, service, ambiance all exactly right...enough said....Special Features:
- An occasional pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/4/2014Very good food, good service, a notable wine list, but not a trivial expense, so more for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently solid--a real gem!DC24Dined on 5/31/2014The food, service and atmosphere is consistently solid at Nora's. It's obvious that the staff truly enjoy being a part of Nora's and go out of their way to make diners feel welcomed.Special Features:
- expected more from the chefjessicaDined on 5/30/2014Everything was good, service was really good, but for the price, I expected the food to wow me, it was okay I thought. The wine, on the other hand was very good. I am glad that everything is organic and from farm to table though.Special Features:
- Visit to WashingtonTrevoeVIPDined on 5/30/2014Friendly atmosphere and good service. Fish was great. My wife's dish was served without mushrooms that was a key element of the dish. Great desertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceFoodieDined on 5/30/2014We enjoyed our evening at Nora's. The food and ambiance were very nice.Special Features:
- An Amazing ExperienceSvenDined on 5/24/2014The food. Amazing. The service. Spectacular. seriously - one of the best restaurants i have EVER been too. if you have 200 bucks to drop on food....you won't go wrong here.Special Features:
- FantasticespoDined on 5/24/2014I rarely give reviews, but this is an outstanding restaurant. everything was great, they even make you feel like a regular when you are not. nothing less than great is my review.Special Features:
- Great dining/celebration occasionDCNativeDined on 5/24/2014I took my fiancè for her birthday and four others came early and surprised her there. The staff was fully supportive, helping keep the secret, printing "Happy Birthday" on our menus, and placing a lighted candle on her dessert. The food selections were wonderful; some of us ordered from the small plates menu, others from the entrees. Service was excellent – attentive, but not intrusive. A fantastic evening.Special Features:
- First visitd2millerDined on 5/24/2014I was first drawn to Restaurant Nora when I read it offered an organic menu. The food was very good, the service excellent. My wife has some food allergies and the chef was able to work around those and prepared a variation of several menu items for her. This is a very comfortable restaurant, not pretentious and, although a bit pricey, we will return.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerMikeDined on 5/24/2014Excellent Job by the wait staff that helped make our anniversary special. Presentaion of the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- A landmark for diningQuijonDined on 5/23/2014For us, no trip to Washington, D. C. is complete without a reservation at Nora. This visit we enjoyed the tasting menu of four memorable courses. Of course, Nora is famous for the quality of the ingredients, but what is done with them makes the dishes even more special. Perfectly seasoned, perfectly prepared, simply presented. The front room was busy and energized, while the back room was quiet and just right for conversation. Service is casual and attentive. We appreciate that Nora makes couples welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 2306 reviews are from the Restaurant Nora reviews archive.
- great 30th anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/19/2014We traveled to D.C. to visit our son/daughter in law. It happened to fall on our 30th wedding anniversary. I had looked up "romantic" restaurants in D.C., settled on this one and it was a fantastic choice. They even printed up across the top Happy 30th Anniversary. The staff great, anyone of them stopped by to help, take orders etc. I had the rabbit which was perfect. The duck and the tofu dinners were equally enjoyed. Never felt rushed. The noise level was excellent, could carry on a conversation without yelling and did not have to listen to others. Even our son commented on this point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Right touchgggnoraDined on 5/19/2014The experience was just right, from the service to the food variety and quanity. The organic menu had a variety of tastes amd many they grew. I like the idea of local farm to table. I left very satisfiedSpecial Features:
- Great food, crowded tablejoshuadcVIPDined on 5/17/2014The food is great every time I visit Nora's. Unfortunately, I have also frequently been stuck at a table which is crowded into a spot where the restaurant traffic interrupts having an otherwise very enjoyable dinner. I don't expect this situation when I have made a reservation in advance.Special Features:
- Good, but not GreatMarlaPDined on 5/17/2014Really loved everything about the restaurant… location, $10 valet, ambiance, decoration, quiet enough, great service, extensive wine list, and tempting menu. But, my dish was surprisingly underwhelming. I was surprised to only receive three small scallops and the risotto lacked all lustre… neither creamy nor flavorful… a total disappointment. On the upside, my partner's halibut, potato fingerlings, and eggplant ratatouille was excellent in all aspects. For such a highly regarded and expensive restaurant, I expected both dishes to be terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!MargaretDined on 5/17/2014Jack was a saint and found a spot for our group of 7 even after I made a mistake in placing the on-line reservation! They were flexible with their menu and allowed everyone in our group to get just what they wanted from the unique menu. I hope to visit again soon and definitely recommend Restaurant Nora to all who visit D. C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among DC's bestHighXDined on 5/15/2014Whenever I am in DC, make a point to dine there... know our party won't be disappointed. Pleasant atmosphere ... beautifully prepared, flavorful and balanced dishes that respect the seasonal, local and organic ingredients and a wine list to match. Staff exceptionally well-trained and knowledgeable. Usually the hi-light of our DC visits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining never goes out of styledcdinerDined on 5/12/2014Restaurant Nora is consistently one of the best restaurants in Washington. Eschewing the current fad for small plates, Nora offers great-tasting, well-crafted dishes that combine and balance flavors and textures. Introducing the District to organic food more than 25 years ago, this restaurant is still at the vanguard of fine dining. The service is quietly attentive, and can be brisk or relaxed as needed. The atmosphere is tasteful, relaxed, and quiet...a great spot for catching up with old friends or a special romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So CloseMollyDined on 5/10/2014This restaurant was just short of amazing. The food was great but not memorable. Nothing blew me away which is what I look for at all restaurants and especially for a price like Nora's.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/8/2014I came to celebrate a law school graduation, and it was an exceptional experience. I recommend dressing up a little. (Gentlemen: jackets are preferred, but not required.)Special Features:
- Better than I rememberedBebopVIPDined on 5/6/2014My last time at Nora was fine, but this time was a truly delicous. Between the four of us we had fowl, beef, fish and vegetarian dishes, each special and well presented. Here's my one complaint: after coming back from two weeks in Italy, I found the service a bit rushed. I understand the need to turn the tables around, and we weren't lingering long, but there was little breathing space between sitting down, asking for our orders, and clearing dishes. Also, the waiter must have asked how we were doing 5 times. this perfunctory inquiry is more disturbing than comforting. A small distraction from an otherwise lovely evening.Special Features:
- Delicious but way overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We had dinner in the gallery (not the main restaurant). I was disappointed to be seated up there but it was fine. The food (scallops, tart, chocolate cake) was all melt in your mouth delicious but the price was outrageous. Dinner for 4 (4 entrees, 4 starters, 2 desserts, two bottles of wine @ $45 each) was $590 with tip. Restaurants in DC are expensive this was over the top. You can eat well for much less than that.Special Features:
- Great food, poor servicedayatatimeDined on 5/3/2014I was looking forward to dining at Restaurant Nora, and the food definitely lived up to my expectations. The seafood and fish were fresh and well prepared, and the vegetarian options were delectable. However I was extremely disappointed by the service. Our server seemed very inexperienced - not knowing the name or ingredients of the one special cocktail that the restaurant was promoting that evening (mint julep as it turned out), taking down our order incorrectly, and not knowing anything about the food that was being served. The server's knowledge of the menu items ended at "I like that one" and "that one is good too". When dining at a restaurant that prides itself on serving high quality food, I expected a little more on the service end.Special Features:
- Not What is WasContessaVIPDined on 5/2/2014I have been a devoted customer of Nora (long distance visitor) for over 20 years. I will not go back. I ordered salmon which was nothing special. All the vegetables were at room temperature, the faro had been boiled and had nothing on it and was tasteless. My husbands's pork was the color of raw meat and was filled with gristle. The waiter said this due to the breed of pork…You must request bread if you want it and, it is nothing special. At this price point, I think you should be offered bread. We had to ask twice for ours and wished we had not bothered. The food came out so fast, it could not have been cooked to order. The flavors were all dull. There are many much better restaurants in DC. Nora's sadly has lost it's edge.
- great neighborhood findRoute66FoodiesDined on 5/2/2014service was excellent , Nora herself took a personal interest in diners.Special Features:
- ok but nothing to write home aboutfoodie75Dined on 5/2/2014nothing special and the salad I ordered was tiny. The bread is pretty bad too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food marginal; toddlers;OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2014Rice was not cooked; toddlers everywhere; wasn't offered bread like other tables; expensive; waitress rushed us out;Special Features:
- It has always been the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/1/2014And remains so. Dining perfection. Charming dining room. Exquisitely prepared, organic cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for groups, not single partyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/30/2014I was in town for business and Restaurant Nora was close to my hotel. I liked the look of the menu so decided to try it out. The food was good (organic or biodynamic), but the waiter clearly did not appreciate having a table with only one patron. He was very friendly and helpful to the group of three women sitting at the table next to me, but laregely ignored me sitting on my own (i.e. took my order, but did not come back to see if I needed anything else until dessert). Unfortunately, the food was not good enough to make up for that. If you are with a group and organic food is important to you, this is might be a decent place to go. If you are on your own, go somewhere else.Special Features:
- Will Return!raniDined on 4/29/2014We loved our experience at Nora's and definitely plan to return...soon! Other than it being slightly noisy, it was a perfect evening. If you don't mind paying extra for great service -- which is hard to come by in D.C. -- and real food, you will love this restaurat. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/28/2014My tartar was not the best I had, but the beet salad and the dessert was very goodSpecial Features:
- Food didn't entirely delivergeorgetownbikerDined on 4/28/2014Ingredients are quality, and the menu is creative. Unfortunately, we felt the taste of the food varied across the dishes we got, and averaged out to a so-so rating. The entree was not good--meat was dry and the presentation of it was visually bland; calimari appetizer was OK but not that unique; dessert was quite good; beet salad was superb.Special Features:
- Peaceful Tasty and OrganicBayAreaMindfulFoodFanDined on 4/26/2014Our group really enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere, attentive service, and thoughtful, sustainable and organic approach that Nora takes to fine dining. We've dined at several very upscale places that take a similar approach including Manresa in the Bay Area, considered to be a prototype of this kind of cuisine around SF. I'd say Nora's compares well with Manresa -- to me they are nearly on an equal footing. Nora stays with tthe reasonable portion size / fewer courses approach of most restaurants, rather than the many-small-course format that can often leave one wondering which course was the entree.Special Features:
- Great rabbit and scallopsEatsrabbit1Dined on 4/26/2014I took my wife to Nora's for her birthday. We had a wonderful time. The food was fantastic. I had the rabbit dish while my wife had scallops. We've found many restaurants in DC to be either overrated or just mediocre. But Nora's was great. Really good service and very tasty food.Special Features:
- Loved the AppetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014We had the mushroom and goat cheese tart, and the steak tartare.. Both were so good!Special Features:
- A nice place.Cather123VIPDined on 4/25/2014It's all organic and the prices reflect this. Preparation is good, although not particularly inventive. Lovely decor and attentive service. If you order wine by the glass you had better not be very thirsty - smallest pour we've ever seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my absolute favoritesGeorgeGGDined on 4/23/2014One of my absolute favorites for special occasions - as it has been for the past 20 years and it never fails to delight.Special Features: