2936 Elm Street
Dallas, TX 75226Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.localdallas.com/
- Phone: 2147527500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tracy Miller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Large events only.
A word from Local
Housed in the Historic Boyd Hotel, Local offers an upscale modern American menu. Our cuisine is seasonally focused, uncluttered and executed with precision. We use the highest quality and freshest ingredients, such as meat products from Niman Ranch and seafood from Connolly's in Boston. Many dishes feature breads made from scratch and all of our desserts, including our sorbets and ice cream, are made in-house. Never overbearing, entrees are innovative yet classic, simple yet refined.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Local - Best Restaurants in Deep Ellum ›
Local reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)special occasion (38)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (8)notable wine list (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fantastic!RobinVIPDined on 10/11/2013We had the tasting menu and each course was perfect with the wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Tasting Menu!LovingLocalDined on 10/5/2013I have dined at Local 5 times and enjoyed the chef's tasting menu with wine pairing and have been so impressed ALL 5 times! The food is amazing and has thrilled everyone who has joined me to dine. You must make a reservation now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything You've Read is TrueRebeccaMDined on 10/5/2013Well, almost everything. Some of the reviews mentioned horrible service, but our service was outstanding. But the portions were tiny & a little overpriced for some bland items. The fried green beans were over battered and a little tough. There's no salt and pepper on the table and none is offered, which the Mac and Cheese could really have used. Do not even ASK for something to go, it must be served on the table & then boxed up after at least one bite is eaten. The sea bass was delicious (although the risotto was undercooked) and my partner absolutely loved the tenderloin. He had eaten a late lunch, which was the only reason he wasn't starving after dinner was eaten. Doubt I'll go back.Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsLJO39Dined on 10/1/2013I went to Local with a group for a business dinner and was extremely pleased with the experience. Despite the less than glamorous drive-up appeal of the torn up and desserted street in Deep Ellum and the unassuming appearance of the restaurant, once inside, the chef, professional wait staff, intimate and cozy ambiance, and food take over. We had the fried green beans to start, which were delicious. The portion was larger than I expected, and we could have used just one serving (not two, as recommended by our well-meaning waiter) for our group of five, particularly because we all wanted a salad/soup course in addition to our entrees. I had the striped beat salad, and it was perfect. I also had the sea bass, which I now dream about!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at LocalCobraManVIPDined on 9/28/2013This is the second time I have been to Local with a large group. The food and restuarant in general is outstanding. You have to try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findSirSDined on 9/28/2013Local is definitely a gem in Deep Ellum. Very interesting menu and incredible service. It is important to note that they only serve beer and wine and do not have a full bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service poorAMJGDined on 9/21/2013Food was great. Service was terrible. Took an hour and a half to get our food and they forgot our salads . Waitress was nice but very slowSpecial Features:
- DisappointedTop10VIPDined on 9/18/2013On a slow night, the owner chef was there, with few patrons, and made no effort to fraternize, or explain her concept this venue brings to the table. The fried green beans were greasy, and unevenly cooked. The ravioli, though tasty, was served cold. The short ribs entree, was bland and dry. With only a few tables seated, the owner could have easily been more interactive, which would have motivated me to give this venue another try, but with the distant attitude, I think I will reciprocate.
- Fantastic dining experiencePinotLoverDined on 9/7/2013I ate here for the 1st time with a friend visiting from out of town. It was hard to find, even for the cab driver. But the entire experience was well worth it. We were promptly greeted when we arrived and told it would be a few minutes before our table was ready so the hostess escorted us to the bar. The bartender was friendly and courteous. Once we were seated, our waitress was also very friendly and helpful. Everything we ordered was fantastic. My friend is gluten free and the waitress helped her find options that would be good for her. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves for food or is looking for an intimated dining option.Special Features:
- I never knewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2013such a great restaurant had been in business so long that I did not know about. I was shocked that they did not have a full service bar, they serve beer and wine only, which was fine, just was not expecting it. Their wine selection was not huge, but they had a good enough selection to meet our tastes and wallet. The food was fantastic; I highly recommend the tomato soup (which comes with a small grilled cheese sandwich, NICE touch!). I had the Sea bass, which was outstanding and a colleague had the filet who said it was the best he has ever had. I would eat here again and recommend it to my friends and co-workers. The only down side was on the tator tots, was expecting so much more by the description, I think I would pass the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The "Local" a true gemStephDined on 8/31/2013My husband and I experienced fine dining at Local. The evening was relaxed, the food was absolutely delicious. I highly recommend the tasting menu. The portions were just right and beautifully presented. Our waiter was very knowledgeable, pleasant, helping to add to the already wonderful experience. We are thrilled to have found this restaurant. Whether a celebration or just a night out, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2013We loved that Local is in the historic Boyd Hotel. Cool, art deco decor with some of the original tile, brick and flooring. The food was amazing. Scallops and salmon were great choices for our entrees. The tuna tar tar was too spicy for my taste but my friend loved it. I am adding this restaurant to my "favorites" list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at Local (again)french07VIPDined on 8/23/2013This was our second dinner at Local. The food was excellent yet again. The ambiance & service were also wonderful. The restaurant has a cool vibe (in an old hotel). The fried green beans & pork tenderloin were my favorites. I definitely recommend trying Local!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in DallasOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/22/2013Chef Tracy Miller is one of the best. Portion sizes are perfect....is nice to find a restaurant where portions sizes are what they should be. And the food is absolutely spot on every time I have visited!!! Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Local. The food was delicious--inventive takes on wholesome delicious recipes, beautiful presentation--and although tables were in fairly close proximity, noise-level was not intrusive at all. When we we done, we lingered for about half an hour and were not rushed or chased--which we very much appreciated. Very friendly, attentive service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding. We were extremelyCamilleVIPDined on 8/10/2013Outstanding. We were extremely pleased with each course. Such a nice variety and all delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is always fabulous.FeedmeVIPDined on 8/7/2013The food is always fabulous. The chilean sea bass in panko crust was delicious and melted in your mouth. The pork chop on polenta (which I had not tried before) was perfect. The addition of Talbott Sleepy Hollow Chardonay to the menu was also a plus. I'm glad that they ran out of strawberries and had to experiment with the peaches for the shortcake. Yummy all the way around. I always tell my friends how great the food is at Local. The two I brought along this time agreed whole-heartedly. Zach was a great waiter with excellent recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, intimate ambiencelamanoDined on 8/6/2013Beautiful, intimate ambience with a very creative menu. Friendly and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2013Local is our favorite spot for a special treat. The food is amazing and we love the tasting menu. The chef does an outstanding job and we absolutely love to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare Treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2013From the moment we entered until we departed, the service and food were unbeatable. Will return!Special Features:
- Excellent meal but........BarryVIPDined on 7/20/2013We had read about the chef at this restaurant so we chose the seven course tasting menu with wine pairings. The food was excellent and presented beautifully. Some of the portions seemed a little small but at the end of the night we left feeling quite satisfied. The service was very good with perfect timing on each course's delivery. We did find the atmosphere to be a bit boring. We were seated near the front door rather than in what seemed to be a livelier area in the back next to the bar so this probably contributed to the way I felt. It is also a little over priced. I'd say 20% to 25% less would make this a little more attractive for more regular visits. Having said that, Local is definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!RebeccaDined on 7/19/2013We splurged and had the chef's tasting menu and wine pairing. You get worried when you hear "tasting portions" but it was seven modest sized courses and a wine pairing with each course. We left full and buzzed. Our server was fun and laid back and the atmosphere is not stuffy or pretentious. The food was incredible and there wasn't a bite or sip that I didn't consider to be perfect. Roasted heirloom tomato soup, beet salad, lobster cake, lamb, beef, salmon, strawberry shortcake and complimentary thumbprint jam cookies :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, But ...DaveinDallasVIPDined on 7/13/2013We thoroughly enjoy Local each and every time we visit. For the first time, we selected the tasting menu (with wine pairings). By the time the third course was served, we'd become a bit tweaked by the pacing of service and by the lack of detail. In my experience, when served courses from a tasting menu servers provide decent detail regarding the food and wine you're about to consume. Local's servers were courteous, but had to be pressed for detail (variety of wine, name of dish, let alone greater detail). Room for improvement. Having said that, all courses were spectacular - save the one we looked forward to the most: Copper River Salmon. Seriously overcooked - it's SO easy to overcook such a small, thin piece of fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2013Drinks took too long, food was great except mine. I asked for my food to be removed and I did not want anything else. they brought me another anyways, after my party had finished my food. And still charged me for my steak. Not pleased.
- Very disapointed in LocalDisapointedDined on 7/13/2013I had a very disappointing experience here. I took another couple. Two of us ordered the short rips, the other two got the sea bass. The short ribs were awful, way overcooked. Sea bass was average at best, but way overpriced for the way it tasted. The waitress was awful. Had to wait 20 min for a water refill, weird personality, The chef/owner kept walking around, but never actually asked how our meal went. Had she stayed in the kitchen cooking maybe our food would have been better. Finally we got the strawberry shortcake dessert which was he smallest portion I have ever seen in Dallas and way too dry. I tasted like it two days over the expiration date. I would never go here again.
- Outstanding!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2013I had heard about this restaurant for years,but never made it a point to go.My wife and I invited some friends of ours,and from the moment we walked in,the employees were very friendly and helpful. The owner,Tracy Miller, came out to greet us and our waiter did a fantastic job in serving us and answering all of our questions. The two fish entrees,Sea Bass and the Salmon,were sensational,and the fried green beans(appetizers) were hot and extremely tasty! The salad,the grits,and the desserts were also amazing! A perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic food, superb service!KathrynVIPDined on 7/11/2013Dinner at Local is a memorable occasion, especially if you get the chef's tasting meny with matched wines! Everything was perfectly cooked, beautifully presented, and extremely tasty! They were able to accomodate one of our friend's food allergies without any problem. I would highly recommend you check it out! As many times as I have been there, no matter what I have ordered, I have never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/6/2013We have been coming to Local since the time they opened their doors. The food is always excellent. The chef/owner is always there and in the kitchen and it shows in the food and it's presentation. The wait staff is experienced and friendly and most have been there a long time. The food is of the highest caliber and is always what is currently in season. A true gem of a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2013The restaurant was pretty empty and we were put in a room by ourselves, which felt isolated. The emptiness made for a average ambience at best. Food was generally quite good but one steak was overcooked, which was returned.Special Features:
- Great spot before the showOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2013Had dinner before the theatre......everything was perfect!! This is "the" neighborhood spot for a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came here on an anniversaryKlm87Dined on 7/3/2013We came here on an anniversary years ago and loved it and completely forgot about it since, we finally came again 4 years later and this is now my favorite restaurant in Dallas. Friendly service, amazing food brought to us by the chef herself. Go here any chance you get! We had the scallops which were huge and delicious and my husband (can't remember the type of meat) loved his as well. You can't go wrong with anything you order. Amazing food for each course. If only I could afford to come here weekly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theater DinnerDadwithteenagersVIPDined on 7/2/2013We ate about 6 pm on weeknight pre Dallas Summer Musical. The heirloom tomato salad special was delicious. The scallops and tenderloin hamburger were both excellent. Also highly recommend the choclolate desserts.Special Features:
- Excellent meal!FancyDined on 6/29/2013Food was fabulous, service was very attentive and atmosphere quiet enough to have a conversation, which isn't true a most restaurants. I would definitely go back, but only occasionally because it is quite pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fresh tastesLocaldinerDined on 6/29/2013I love this place. The use of locally available ingredients assures fresh, creative dishes, and the portions are perfect...not the place to go if you expect a serving size that will feed a small village. The atmosphere is lovely. Although it has a good number of tables, it is purposefully designed to feel like an intimate, European-style small restaurant. Don't miss the fresh sorbet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2013Local's food is consistently awesome! I crave the sea bass and risotto, and could eat it every day. I also love the spare ribs and cheddar grits. So many of Tracy Miller's dishes are to die for! My husband insists on the fried green bean appetizer and once I had the chocolate souffle, my life changed. As you can imagine, we have now become regulars at Local. This restaurant is a Dallas gem. Go, as soon as you can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2013I had a friend in town and we took her there and did the tasting menu with wine parings. It was amazing food, with great service. The chef even comes out and talks to the patrons. It was quiet enough to talk, but not too quiet. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice date night.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2013My wife and I regularly dine at best rated restaurants in Dallas but had never been to Local. The food was very good with the sea bass my wife had top notch. The wine list was rather short but adequate and very reasonably priced. The service got a little slow as the room filled up on a Saturday night. We will return!Special Features:
- Great restaurant!BearVIPDined on 6/14/2013We felt very welcome, and we will definitely come again. Zach was very knowledgeable and attentive, and we enjoyed his service. The chef checked on us, and the food was great. We had three different entrees, and they were all excellent. We highly recommend this restaurant and will come again when we are back in Dallas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continued Excellence in Deep EllumDallasLewVIPDined on 6/8/2013Local remains one of my favorite restaurants. The food is creative, the service knowledgeable, and the experience always a delight. I ate the special appetizer of fried yellow tomatoes and it was the best version of this Southern classic I have tasted. The Copper River Salmon was inspired and the short ribs practically fell off the fork and were complimented by far from ordinary horseradish potatoes. I also appreciate the care that Tracy takes in her wine list. Not large but well thought. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- We keep coming back to this gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2013Superb dining experience given the gracious & attentive staff, quiet table, fresh and delicious food and presentation. The chocolate cake with ice cream was an outstanding finish for the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.