2936 Elm Street
Dallas, TX 75226Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.localdallas.com/
- Phone: 2147527500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tracy Miller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Large events only.
A word from Local
Housed in the Historic Boyd Hotel, Local offers an upscale modern American menu. Our cuisine is seasonally focused, uncluttered and executed with precision. We use the highest quality and freshest ingredients, such as meat products from Niman Ranch and seafood from Connolly's in Boston. Many dishes feature breads made from scratch and all of our desserts, including our sorbets and ice cream, are made in-house. Never overbearing, entrees are innovative yet classic, simple yet refined.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Local - Best Restaurants in Deep Ellum ›
Local reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)special occasion (37)romantic (30)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (8)notable wine list (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Not for large groups!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/1/2014When I made a reservation for a party of 8, they called asking for a $250 deposit. I was taken aback as no other restaurant in Dallas does this. I gave my card thinking ok we will show they won't charge the deposit. Apparently it shouldn't be called a deposit but a prepay. When the bill came my card had already been charged and showed up on the check as a gift card. This made it difficult to split the bill with myself and other people in the party. Great food, good ambiance, but bad aftertaste. I don't foresee myself ever going back due to the debacle with the bill. I would recommend it for its food, but no parties of 6 or more due to the weirdo PREPAY (deposit) business.Special Features:
- Yummy!MmtwigVIPDined on 2/22/2014This was my 2nd time to Pittsburgh & 2nd time to Local! This restaurant has the food, service & ambiance to keep bringing me back. I recommend reservations & leaving room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Over-achieving.....OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/21/2014We dined at Local Friday night and hadn't been for a few months. Each time we go, we comment on what a hidden gem this place is. Tracy's food continues to astound and the attention to local and sustainable ingredients and delicious and intuitive preparation is what makes this our favorite place in Dallas......and from the minute you walk in the door to the moment you leave, you'll not feel like you're in Dallas at all.Special Features:
- Tasting menu was outstanding.claytonDined on 2/15/2014Tasting menu was outstanding. Better than most restaurants We have dined at. We recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealGarlandDined on 2/14/2014Been eating here since they opened the doors. Never had a bad morsel. We go to Localfor all our special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went here with 2 friends ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Went here with 2 friends Valentines day. The guy behind the bar was very knowledgeable about all the beers and wines, had great suggestions. Service was fantastic and the food was amazing! Well worth the price.Special Features:
- Incredible ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I took my parents here for Valentines day and it was incredible! The server was VERY knowledgeable about food allergies (I have a gluten allergy) and the food was incredible. I could not say one bad thing about the service or the food. Overall, it was an incredible experience and I will come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's eveningLaurie1391Dined on 2/14/2014Intimate, romantic, modern in a historic building, and food so delicious you forget the street construction outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly overated and overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2014Very disappointed. Started with dirty road construction outside and continued upon entry into a dark and uninviting decor. Service was uneven and rushed. Started with famous fried green beans which tasted like they had been fried earlier and warmed in microwave.We had Pork Osso Buco and Tenderloin which were dry and tasteless. The pork shank had a thin tomatoey brothl which added nothing to the flavor ---left half on plate. The underlying grits were cold and tasteless. The steak had a Balsamic vinegar, sugary sauce which totally covered the steak flavor---Best dish -Spice Cake for dessert. Will not go again.
- Fantastically Hidden Deep Ellum GemPhotoMoneyDined on 2/13/2014As always, we had a phenomenal experience. Fantastic ambiance, excellent food and service that wishes it were that good everywhere. The perfect place for a quiet date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ExperienceBillDined on 2/11/2014The restaurant was slow the evening of Tuesday 2/11, and we received two calls within five minutes of our reservation time (we were not late), asking if we intended to dine with them, otherwise they were going to close for the night. The young lady who called was clearly intimating for us to please go elsewhere so they could go home. Bad form on Local's part. The waitress did not want to serve us, and rudely didn't ask our daughter (14 yr old, seasoned diner) if she wanted anything to drink. In spite of this we had a nice time and the bartender and servers were quite gracious. The food was good except for the osso buco, which was incorrectly prepared and flavorless. Our first time there and underwhelmed. We'll give it another shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique / Beautiful / SpecialJKEHDined on 2/8/2014Cons first, no valet.. that's it. Great place, had a wonderfully long and romantic dinner (3hrs). Wait staff were wonderful, food arrived right on time as we ate from the 7 course tasting menu. Wine pairings were spot on. Food was excellent and prepared perfectly. I forgot how great this place is and won't wait so long to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence Rediscovered!familymanDined on 2/5/2014We had been to Local years ago and had really liked it. But this time I cannot say enough good things about our evening! It has such a great interior, so inviting. And our waitress was so energetic and informative. She was very helpful when discussing the menu and wines and so pleasant. The dinner was excellent! Loved the Sea Bass and tomato soup. The Chef came out with the entree's and was so delightful. And my partner LOVED the hamburger too, and the spice cake was the perfect finish. A very wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unassuming awesomenessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/1/2014Local is low profile, but always solid. Great food and wine. This last time we had the tasting menu...interesting, varied, delicious, with recognizable food! A gem.Special Features:
- Refined and spot onJGood7Dined on 1/18/2014What a great restaurant. It was obvious eating the food that there was an inventive, talented and caring chef behind it. My wife and I absolutely loved it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Ambience!IndyFirlDined on 1/18/2014I dined over the weekend and expereinced a wonderful service and food! The ambience of the resturant is great for a dinner for two or for a small intimate group. The resturant used to be a hotel and includes a lot of the orginal characteristics....exposed brick, wood floors and initmate spaces for dining. Our server was fantastic with her explanation of menu and drink items. I will definitely return again in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great meal at LocalAntoDined on 1/17/2014We had a great meal at Local - one of the best we have had in Dallas. The food was excellent, and the venue interesting and vibrant. The staff were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local is such a cool place,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014Local is such a cool place, and I love the "hidden" location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local was okOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/11/2014I went to Local with a high expectation and didn't think it lived up to my expectations. Dinner was good but nothing noteworthy or special. Price was high for mediocre food. Service was just ok. Had to ask the soup option. Waitress never offered the tasting menu and after we decided on the fish and chips she said she didn't know it was on the menu and then said she had to go check. After all that she came back to say they were "all out of it". Was really hoping this would be a great experience but it fell short.Special Features:
- First time at LocalJaggerDined on 1/11/2014Awesome space, incredible food and the best atmosphere. It's great when a place "gets it" and Local def does!Special Features:
- Great serviceDinnerDined on 12/31/2013My girlfriend and I ate here for our New Years date and although we were younger then the average guest we were still treated with the same respect and dignity. I can't tell you how often were treated poorly just because were younger- once even having a reservation taken away for a couple who just walked in! The food was absolutely stunning in taste and was presented beautifully. I got the house special sirloin cooked rare and I left knowing full well that it was the best I've ever had. As a starter we got the lobster cakes and although I was fairly impressed by the taste, not too fishy with just a dash of lemon, my girlfriend wasn't as satisfied. She felt they weren't any better then 'Red Lobsters' crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let's Take a ShotNickelDined on 12/31/2013On NYE, my boyfriend and I waited until the last second for dinner plans, Local could not have been more accommodating. We were able to snag a last second a reservation, the staff got us right to a table, our server was so spot on without turning into a robot or a salesman, and the entire staff was helping each other out, they worked as a team, all with smiles and on the ball, we felt very taken care of without being hounded. The food was delicious, we had beet salad, tuna tartare (my personal fav) and osso bucco, which was cooked to perfection and so tender. We also ate the parmesan risotto, although a little rich, was worth every bite. I loved our experience there and I will definitely recommend it to any and everyone.Special Features:
- Perfect PlaceENH1228Dined on 12/28/2013Just what we were looking for to celebrate our 46th anniversary! It didn't disappoint - yet exceeded our expectations. Thought it a bit unusual that we weren't treated to a small dessert, perhaps to divide, for our special occasion. However, the food was the best we've had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!CaLynneDined on 12/28/2013Local is a wonderful gem in Dallas. Quaint and very personable with excellent food.Special Features:
- Good Food, Poor ServiceScottDined on 12/21/2013Despite having a nice menu with good food, my experience at Local was not very good. The service was very much less than satisfactory. First the waitress was disinterested to say the least, then she screwed up some of the orders, forgot some, and in the end, the resturant was only willing to comp a dessert. Most nice resturants give you the meal. I will not be returning.Special Features:
- Do Not Pass On This Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2013This is an awesome place. It is truly hidden in plain sight. The food is exceptional. The decor is understated and minimal I love that is is a small place because it adds to the intimacy of the eating experience for a dinner for two or a small dinner gathering. The food is top notch from the appetizers to the dessert. For the late night diner, word to the wise, bring your glasses (if you wear them) because the lighting is very low. The service is awesome. I wish I could remember our server because she was phenomenal! She was very personable. I've dined there twice and enjoyed the dining experience each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First anniversary dinnerTylerDined on 12/17/2013My girlfriend just moved to Dallas so of course I had to find a great locally sourced place to go for our first anniversary. Local was great. Definitely pricey, but so delicious. A good once-a-year place for a college guy like me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findTeddDined on 12/3/2013I was referred to Local, by a friend in Lincoln, NE. It was great, loved the decor, ambiance, wine and food. Service was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I found Local while researchingJeanetteDDined on 11/22/2013I found Local while researching farm to market concepts. First, I was running late in bad weather and called - the staff asssured me that the concern was getting there safely. Got there according to my GPS - I felt lost - small sign. After an exploration of Deep Ellum, come to find my GPS was right. Inside, I was completely amazed by the service and food. I'm a sucker for service, and these women had it down right. I'll be back. And thank you for having a farm to market concept in Dallas - as a former Cali, I feel like places like this prove that the west coast has nothing on Texas. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've always recommended Local...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/20/2013The last time I visited Local to take an out of town relative we had pretty crumby service. We are used to the 5 star service when we come here no matter what day of the week it is. We had a hard time ordering drinks. My steak was overcooked, but no one ever came back to check on it. We have always been given a little pallet cleansing soup and that was completely skipped. I still enjoyed my food, the steak was still a supreme cut, but a little disappointing this time. I hope to go back soon and have a better experience like the one I always tell people about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fall menuDadwithteenagersVIPDined on 11/16/2013We took a group of friends here on Saturday after a performance at the Music Hall. The cheese board was delicious and exotic. The butternut squash soup was incredible. The blue cheese salad and the daily special salad with mushrooms were both excellent. The table loved our tenderloin filets, the scallops were excellent as was the salmon. We also shared the mac and cheese and risotto. The ice cream desserts are amazing esp the vanilla and chocolate mint. The chocolate souffle and mini chocolate shake compote dessert was great also.Special Features:
- Left mid-mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2013We've had several great meals here, both personal and business. Sadly, what was once a great experience is no more. We actually had to leave mid-meal things went so poorly, having wasted one of the very few nights my wife and I are able to get a sitter. I will miss what Local was. Not sure what went wrong, but I hope they can fix it. But this diner will sadly be crossing it off his short list of special places.
- Interesting placeDeGustibusDined on 11/15/2013For the most part, because we were among friends, we enjoyed our meal for 4. This place has a bit of smooth polish among Deep Ellum's usual friendly grit. But while the menu had assorted choices, and the presentation was elegant, the intensity level of the flavors was Midwest--tame, almost bland. The mascarpone Mac and Cheese, which sounded scrumptious, oddly, was not creamy, but lumpy and watery. All the portions were smallish. The prices for that area were on the high side, but not outrageous. Overall, the place gave off an air of quiet desperation as the chef hovered about the cash register, and it appeared they were stretching every bit of their inventory. Go, you'll get an interesting meal, and they appear to need the business.Special Features:
- Local Delivers!CocoDined on 11/9/2013We ordered the chef's tasting menu with the accompanying wine selections. The roasted butternut squash soup was good enough to bathe in. The accompanying Bordeaux blend was paired perfectly. The seared Ahi tartare on a ginger cracker was fresh with just enough bite to be interesting. The wine selection for the tuna was a Rousanne from Lubbock, TX and was the hands-down shock of the evening. The buttery finish made me want to order an entire bottle. Since I am usually a red wine enthusiast, this was a very nice surprise. The fish and "chips" was light and flavorful and the dessert, a honey cake served with Prosecco was just the perfect ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stylish chicDiningdelightVIPDined on 11/9/2013The ambiance is casual and elegant. The food is unbelievably good. It is almost like being in a trendy New York City restaurant.Special Features:
- What unique place!MeatloafVIPDined on 11/8/2013The restaurant is in a great location - the old Boyd hotel. Great funky atmosphere. My favorite was the lamb tenderloin that was the special for the night. We added it to the tasting menu as an extra course. We always start with the fried green beans - best anywhere. This place is a hidden gem with incredible food. Start out with the champagne cocktail - seasonal sorbet is added giving it a great spark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsLauraS2000Dined on 11/2/2013This intimate spot is always delicious. If you are looking for a cozier experience, request the area back by the bar. For a livelier atmosphere, request the front room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish it were betterfoodiewannabeDined on 11/1/2013Went to Local about 8 years ago and loved it. This time it disappointed. It was a Friday night at 7:30pm and the place was DEAD. Not one person sitting at or even tending the bar. Maybe six tables were seated. The rest empty. Had we not had a reservation and liked it so much the first time, we would have left but decided to try it again. We had a quick drink at the bar and then were seated. It took our server over 15 minutes to greet us. Someone did step in about 11 minutes in but by that time, it was annoying especially given that the place was less than busy. The food was good, not great. The decor inside is great and it could be a very cool restaurant but think its location hurts it. I give the place six more months - unless they move.
- AnniversaryTobiRossDined on 10/25/2013My husband and I had a wonderful dining experience here for our 10 yr Anniversary. It was delicious food, and fantastic wine! We had so much fun...and seriously this was some of the best food I've eaten in a very long time. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ExperienceNewbieDined on 10/18/2013My first experience with Local, and I will definitely return. Staff was wonderful. Environment was unique, and the ambiance quiet yet intriguing. Food was some of the best food I have ever eaten from the purple potato soup to the panko bread crumb sea bass to the pork tender with sweet potato mash. The entire experience was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.