Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
1 Lawson Ln
Burlington, VT 05401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluecatvt.com/
- Phone: 8023633639
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 4:30 - 8:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday and Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please consider us for your next private function. Our intimate space seats up to 40, and you can bring in your own caterer or let us entertain you with our exciting, tailored menus. And for a special treat, try one of our private wine tastings for 10 - 30 people!
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Blue Cat Cafe & Wine Bar is the only downtown restaurant with on site, free parking. Our customers can park in the lot on Saint Paul/College Street. However, take heed; the lot is monitored by a towing company, and our customers must use a permit. Simply send a member of your party into the restaurant, and we will give you a temporary permit which will allow you to park for the evening.
A word from Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
Welcome to Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar. We are located in the center of downtown Burlington in a little alley called Lawson Lane. In our cozy corner of the town we serve all Certified Angus Beef (CAB) steaks and a variety of fresh seafood and vegetarian options. We use local produce whenever possible and feature a rotating selection of Vermont cheeses. Our wine list contains three-hundred labels from all over the world with an emphasis on big, bold, steak-friendly wines. The proprietors, Mariasha and Ozzy Giral are always on site to help you find the perfect wine for any occasion. We hope to see you soon. ...and please keep in mind that we are available for private events of all sorts 7 days a week; we'll do the catering or bring in your favorite caterer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Burlington, VT ›
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (49)special occasion (38)notable wine list (36)fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (22)late-night find (5)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/29/2013We visited this restaurant for an anniversary meal. There was one waitress for the entire restaurant and getting her attention was impossible.
- Huge wine list, from veryMarkEDined on 12/28/2013Huge wine list, from very expensive to affordable. They have a small menu of entrées, but they are all outstanding, and unique. There is limited romantic seating, so make reservations. We going back next year for our anniversary!Special Features:
- We Loved it!TommyDined on 12/28/2013Great food all around the board. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FiletJennisvtDined on 12/27/2013You go downstairs and down a quiet hall to the little, dark, Blue Cat Cafe. The wine list is gigantic and the menu is not so you know they are cooking the dishes to perfection. It has a European feel in its coziness and simplicity. The servers are incredibly attentive and part of the experience. We come for the perfect filet..can't make that at home. While there are mostly parties of 2, I've seen larger families with children accomodated. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice findeggsDined on 12/27/2013Small intimate place, actually a bit hard to find in an office buidling. But once in, loved the ambiance and music. Both of us had steak (their specialty?). My husband ordered filet and really like it. I ordered the special, flat iron steak and was not excited about it. I was told there was no rub on it or sauce, but it tasted like some sort of chili powder or something maybe. Only real complaint was that it took an extremely long time to get our food. There are only 12 tables in the restaurant but the chef seemed to be doing lots of other things, like going on line and chatting up a couple at the bar. It seemed strange to wait so long. Only 3 choices for dessert, none of which enticed us. Coffee was very good though.Special Features:
- Wonderful find in BurlingtonGeneDined on 12/26/2013We ate with a group of six and therefore sampled many of the menu choices: Streak, fois gras, salmon, ravioli, etc. All the food was thoughtfully and excellently prepared. HIghly recommended. This restaurant is a real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful diningLibbysDined on 12/26/2013We had a wonderful dining experience in a beautiful spot off of the beaten path. Food was delicious, affordable, and the restaurant was set up in such a way that my wife and i were able to communicate easily. They even have onsite parking, and the reservations were easily made and moved due to weatherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem!CatLoverrrDined on 12/24/2013Wonderfully prepared food with wonderful service! My mother and I came here for our Christmas Eve dinner and were extremely happy with the quality of service and food. I tried foie gras and roast duck for the first time and they were both prepared perfectly. The waitress was friendly, knowledgable, and made good recommendations of food and wine to try. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good things come in small packagesPatrickDined on 12/6/2013Small dining area but worth making the reservation. Rather large bar however for three spur of the moment dining or after work cocktails. Food is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Burlington, VTLarryBDined on 11/29/2013We regularly visit Burlington from Boston. A real and significant reason is another fine meal att the Blue Cat, which we think of as "our place" The "specialties" are WINE and steak(s). I note the wine first because the wines by the glass are better than any I've encountered. As for the steak, steak is (largely) steak, but these are thick and cooked just as you ordered them (many restaurants overcook due to sloppiness). My simple suggestion: GO!Special Features:
- Expected moreMikeDined on 11/29/2013Problem 1 was finding the restaurant in the alley. Very small dining room w/ 2 ornate pillars that force you to lean over any diner sitting in the adjacent seating. The food was good but not remarkably good. The shrimp cocktail was average. The steaks were well cooked but seasoned poorly. They had smoky flavor but lacked in salt and pepper. The wait staff were courteous but became less attentive as the dining room filled with patrons. The two took care of the dining area and the bar. Therefore there was no offer of more wine and while desert was mentioned as the plates were removed we didn't get an opportunity to try any as our waitress thanked us and presented the check several minutes later. Expect more when spending $100 before tip.Special Features:
- Loved Blue CatpattiDined on 11/26/2013Will definitely return. Excellent food. Excellent wine. Excellent server. Small & intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic filetGoods48Dined on 11/24/2013I've been to The Blue Cat twice in one week and had the filet both times because it was so good the first time. The second time was just as fantastic as the first. My wife had the sirloin special and raved about the flavor. The menu is skewed in favor of steaks for entrees, but there also seemed to be a nice list of salads as well. The restaurant is intimate and wood paneled. It was a thoroughly wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Love this placekeithjevtDined on 11/23/2013I always have a good meal at the Blue Cat. They have great steaks at a fair price. Nice wine list and good service.Special Features:
- Great MealHoyt80Dined on 11/23/2013The Blue Cat is a hidden treasure in the heart of Burlington! The food and atmosphere are both spectacular and the wait staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and great at what they do! I highly recommend dinner at The Blue Cat, one of the best meals you can find anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2013The best romantic place in Burlington, and the service was excellent. Very friendly and smiling people. Definitely a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb steakslaneylouDined on 11/14/2013Loved the quiet coziness and the feeling of intimacy. The steaks were cooked to perfection as well as the salmon. The service was terrific. She made sure we were able to get to our play on time without feeling rushed. Can not wait to return to try more dishes.Special Features:
- My wife and I went to theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013My wife and I went to the Blue Cat for our anniversary. The restaurant is small and quite, perfect for a romantic dinner. Service was great.Special Features:
- The Quality is Consistently GoodRichardDined on 11/9/2013We have been loyal patrons for about 5 years and find the Blue Cat to be the perfect place for an excellent and very pleasant dining experience. The wine list is outstanding. The number of French speaking customers from Quebec is a tribute to the excellence of this restaurant. We have never been disappointed. The service is always outstanding, and the hosts, thoroughly charming.Special Features:
- Quiet and smallNYerDined on 11/8/2013The restaurant was a little tight. You had to slip into your seat. The food was good. There were four of us and we could have a nice conversation. Waitress was attentive. I had the steak with the Foie Gras, yummy! Diner that had raviolis said they were good but not enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny little gem. White linens.CharmingVIPDined on 11/8/2013Tiny little gem. White linens. Great steak and local fare. Will dine again.Special Features:
- Food is always great here!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2013Food is always great here! We picked a wine that they didn't have and they upgraded us which was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2013We decided to try this place. Once we finally found it, it was a weird setting, a restaurant in a building and it was pretty small. None the less, large wine selection. The sound system was horrible and right behind us. The food wasn't anything special, but it was good. For the money, definitely not worth it... burlington has so many great restaurants that we won't even think about coming back.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationTimothyDined on 10/16/2013My wife and I celebrated my 70th birthday with our son and lady friend. It was the perfect venue, good food and quiet enough for conversation. We will certainly return before my 80th!Special Features:
- Horrible serviceJanCDined on 10/11/2013I went to the Blue Cat last year and had a great experience. We had a waitress that knew food and knew wine (something that really want when going to a "wine bar"). Went up to Burlington with 6 friends for a long weekend and decided we would go to dinner there because last year the food, wine and service were great. The waitress was unable to recommend wines and was horrible at service. Brought out salads before the cheese plates, never explained the cheeses. We ordered a few bottles of wine and the one we wanted with our dinner never arrived. We ate dinner with empty wine glasses, empty water glasses. Food was great, but service was terrible. Won't be back. Go to VIN if you want a good wine bar and staff who appreciates wines.Special Features:
- Great hideawaybluedogzDined on 10/11/2013Blue Cate Cafe is hidden down an alley and takes a little work to find. Fortunately, it was worth it. An important bit for me: I am somewhat hearing-impaired and cannot suffer noisy restaurants in the slightest. Blue cat was quite busy when we were there, and I could hear my wife's conversation perfectly. I would not suggest this restaurant for families with kids- it's small and quiet and the mac-and-cheese crowd is unlikely to enjoy it. On the other hand, it's perfect for date night for mom & dad. I can highly recommend the seared duck breast with maple jus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burlington's hidden treatJane1414Dined on 10/6/2013Good food and ambiance at the Blue Cat! Especially appealing is the Sunday night special of a salad and excellent steak with sides and a glass of wine of your choice for $25. Try it, you'll like it.Special Features:
- Good dining experience. WentNor1Dined on 10/4/2013Good dining experience. Went with several friends for dinner on a college reunion weekend. We were all a little apprehensive that we made a reservation without a personal recommendation however we all were pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect romantic eveningAjjesseDined on 9/29/2013We recently dined here and had a fabulous evening. Quiet table, great food and we both had steaks which were cooked and seasoned perfectly. Wine list was extensive. Service was perfect (Joselyn) and will certainly come back again. I had what they called the "Sunday night special" - salad, steak, 2 sides and glass of wine for $25. This is certainly the best deal in Burlington. We dine out in Burlington every other week and this place has made the top of the return-to list. We always ask for a quiet table when we make a reservation anywhere so we can sit and talk to each other. This is the first place that fully honored this request and sat us at a table in the corner next to the bar. Simply perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this lovely restaurantGinnyDined on 9/27/2013We loved this lovely restaurant The food was excellent. The service superb and the atmosphere Beautiful, quiet,relaxing and very charming It will be a destination annual for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More local ingredients neededLuvgoodfoodDined on 9/20/2013Pretty restaurant tucked away. Well meaning service. Disappointed that the only grass fed beef was the special and there were no local wines to complement our meal. So many VT places to source from!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambience, Poor FoodRickDined on 9/20/2013For what I consider to be an expensive restaurant, the food was not very good. It started with a pint of flat, warm beer which was cheerfully replaced with another pint of warm beer. My meal (Caesar salad with steak and shrimp) was so-so, certainly not worth the $28 price tag. The best part of the meal was the wine -- which was in a bottle. Lukewarm coffee topped it off. Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Great Anniversary Dinner!CarlyBDined on 9/15/2013The Blue Cat was a wonderful find. Our server had great recommendations. We had the Sunday night special, which was a Flat Iron Steak, local and grass fed beef, with two piles of veg and choice of starch, choice of salad and a single glass of wine for $25. The steak was the most succulent, perfectly cooked, most delectable piece of meat and could have easily been $25 alone. The salad we chose was the house Caesar, excellent. Prior to our meals, we were served fresh, hot, grilled pita bread with house made hummus. I would return for that alone. We tried the Salmon dish with mashed sweet potatoes and grilled asparagus, also excellent. Burlington has lots of dining options, but The Blue Cat is definitely on our "must return" list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Children need to be TazeredDocandProfDined on 9/14/2013Dinner was great! Service-excellent. Food-fantastic. Ambience-10pm at night---why are 4 year old children still out? Especially ones that are screaming---repeatedly.... this kid was almost as obnoxious as the parents who let him/her do it. We finally just decided to have dessert somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosy and deliciousLSB1Dined on 9/13/2013Love ether ambience. The simple wood paneling and warm lighting make for a cozy romantic atmosphere. Amazing steaks and nice wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Added to my total special occasionjapple1martiniDined on 9/10/2013We found our waitress most welcoming, accommodating. She provided us with necessary info about the menu, answered questions and gave us the space and time to enjoy our meal. The food was amazing, so delicious. We loved the atmosphere as well. We returned to our B&B and suggested they put you on their recommended list of places to eat. Thank you so much for adding to our memories of Burlington. We hope to return to your city and having dinner at the Blue Cat is a must do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BTV restaurantSweetvtDined on 9/7/2013Great restaurant! May have found my new favorite in downtown BTV. Loved every part of the experience. Excellent food, nice pour on the wine! Our server was attentive, knowledgeable and engaging. Steaks were cooked to perfection. Salmon delicious. Will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our new favorites!jaglady14Dined on 9/6/2013Very delicious food. We were also very impressed that the waitress remembered us from a month or more before. The staff was very accommodating of special requests. The steak with foie gras is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The group had a wonderfulTRL2013Dined on 8/28/2013The group had a wonderful time. The staff was very friendly. It was the chef's birthday but he came in anyway as the owners were away attending a wine tasting. Very impressive. The wine list was fantastic, even wines by the glass. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Cat was a nice find,SigNSuDined on 8/20/2013Blue Cat was a nice find, a bit out of the way of the tourist traps on Church street. Food was good, original, and with fresh local produces. The steak was good. Service was great. We had an infant, which they accommodated kindly. Not many patrons, maybe because it was Tuesday night and place is a bit hard to find in an office building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.