Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
1 Lawson Ln
Burlington, VT 05401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluecatvt.com/
- Phone: 8023633639
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 4:30 - 8:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday and Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please consider us for your next private function. Our intimate space seats up to 40, and you can bring in your own caterer or let us entertain you with our exciting, tailored menus. And for a special treat, try one of our private wine tastings for 10 - 30 people!
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Blue Cat Cafe & Wine Bar is the only downtown restaurant with on site, free parking. Our customers can park in the lot on Saint Paul/College Street. However, take heed; the lot is monitored by a towing company, and our customers must use a permit. Simply send a member of your party into the restaurant, and we will give you a temporary permit which will allow you to park for the evening.
A word from Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
Welcome to Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar. We are located in the center of downtown Burlington in a little alley called Lawson Lane. In our cozy corner of the town we serve all Certified Angus Beef (CAB) steaks and a variety of fresh seafood and vegetarian options. We use local produce whenever possible and feature a rotating selection of Vermont cheeses. Our wine list contains three-hundred labels from all over the world with an emphasis on big, bold, steak-friendly wines. The proprietors, Mariasha and Ozzy Giral are always on site to help you find the perfect wine for any occasion. We hope to see you soon. ...and please keep in mind that we are available for private events of all sorts 7 days a week; we'll do the catering or bring in your favorite caterer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Burlington, VT ›
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
romantic (44)special occasion (38)notable wine list (25)fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (18)late-night find (5)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Saturday early- birthday dinnerjajaDined on 1/25/2014The food was O.K., but I ordered the duck and it was a bit rare, no sauce? The mashed potatoes were watery and yucky. We sat directly in front of the door--awful...too much money for too little! My friend ordered the lamb ragout, which I tasted. It just tasted salty to me...Disappointed. Maybe we should have ordered steak? We only ordered one appetizer, and I'm glad because it was not very good to me, the ribs...Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone....
- Great steak and wine dinning!SteakWineGuyDined on 1/24/2014This is our go to restaurant. It is quaint, quiet, has professional waitstaff, and a delicious menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fantastic butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/23/2014The food was fantastic but the grill is immediately behind the bar in the center of this very intimate/ tiny restaurant and the fume hood wasn't working. We literally were driven out by the fumes-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/22/2014Had a latish night burger here and it was excellent. Nice quiet atmosphere. And parking!Special Features:
- Romantic dining experience.L4kidsDined on 1/17/2014Relaxed dining. Great ambience with a romantic feel to it. A little on the cramped side. The wine was exquisite and our server was outstanding. Very pricey for what you pay for. Portions were average and we had to wait quite a long time for our food to arrive. I would recommend the Salmon dish. Outstanding! The restaurant was difficult to locate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Birthday DinnerRyanDined on 1/14/2014I took my boyfriend here the other night for his birthday and it was wonderful from start to finish. Neither of has had ever been to the restaurant before so it was a bit of a risk, in the end it was a risk worth taking. Our waitress was super knowledgable and friendly, the food was unreal, and the atmosphere was quiet and intimate (keep in mind it was a Tuesday, no idea what this place is like on weekends). I would definitely come again for dinner or maybe even to sample some wine from their extensive wine list. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening outwahsupdocDined on 1/10/2014Lovely evening out in a hidden gem of a restaurant. Great local products in a delightful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/4/2014We had a great evening here - good for a romantic date but a little noisy. We were lucky to get a table in the corner rather than in the middle of the room. Small space but great ambience and decorating. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Tight SpaceRalphDined on 12/29/2013The food here was excellent. I ordered the Duck Breast with mashed sweet potato. The duck was very moist and cooked medium well. The flavor was complex and paired well with the sweet potato. We also ordered a cheese plate and Caesar salads. The anchovies on the salad were a bit salty, but the cheese plate had a variety of fresh cheeses and fresh toasted pita bread to help balance the salty. My only complaint was that the tables were squeezed into the space with very little room to navigate around them, and our table was situated near the door, so when guests came in and waited to be seated, it felt like they were standing over our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/29/2013We visited this restaurant for an anniversary meal. There was one waitress for the entire restaurant and getting her attention was impossible.
- Huge wine list, from veryMarkEDined on 12/28/2013Huge wine list, from very expensive to affordable. They have a small menu of entrées, but they are all outstanding, and unique. There is limited romantic seating, so make reservations. We going back next year for our anniversary!Special Features:
- We Loved it!TommyDined on 12/28/2013Great food all around the board. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FiletJennisvtDined on 12/27/2013You go downstairs and down a quiet hall to the little, dark, Blue Cat Cafe. The wine list is gigantic and the menu is not so you know they are cooking the dishes to perfection. It has a European feel in its coziness and simplicity. The servers are incredibly attentive and part of the experience. We come for the perfect filet..can't make that at home. While there are mostly parties of 2, I've seen larger families with children accomodated. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice findeggsDined on 12/27/2013Small intimate place, actually a bit hard to find in an office buidling. But once in, loved the ambiance and music. Both of us had steak (their specialty?). My husband ordered filet and really like it. I ordered the special, flat iron steak and was not excited about it. I was told there was no rub on it or sauce, but it tasted like some sort of chili powder or something maybe. Only real complaint was that it took an extremely long time to get our food. There are only 12 tables in the restaurant but the chef seemed to be doing lots of other things, like going on line and chatting up a couple at the bar. It seemed strange to wait so long. Only 3 choices for dessert, none of which enticed us. Coffee was very good though.Special Features:
- Wonderful find in BurlingtonGeneDined on 12/26/2013We ate with a group of six and therefore sampled many of the menu choices: Streak, fois gras, salmon, ravioli, etc. All the food was thoughtfully and excellently prepared. HIghly recommended. This restaurant is a real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful diningLibbysDined on 12/26/2013We had a wonderful dining experience in a beautiful spot off of the beaten path. Food was delicious, affordable, and the restaurant was set up in such a way that my wife and i were able to communicate easily. They even have onsite parking, and the reservations were easily made and moved due to weatherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem!CatLoverrrDined on 12/24/2013Wonderfully prepared food with wonderful service! My mother and I came here for our Christmas Eve dinner and were extremely happy with the quality of service and food. I tried foie gras and roast duck for the first time and they were both prepared perfectly. The waitress was friendly, knowledgable, and made good recommendations of food and wine to try. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good things come in small packagesPatrickDined on 12/6/2013Small dining area but worth making the reservation. Rather large bar however for three spur of the moment dining or after work cocktails. Food is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Burlington, VTLarryBDined on 11/29/2013We regularly visit Burlington from Boston. A real and significant reason is another fine meal att the Blue Cat, which we think of as "our place" The "specialties" are WINE and steak(s). I note the wine first because the wines by the glass are better than any I've encountered. As for the steak, steak is (largely) steak, but these are thick and cooked just as you ordered them (many restaurants overcook due to sloppiness). My simple suggestion: GO!Special Features:
- Expected moreMikeDined on 11/29/2013Problem 1 was finding the restaurant in the alley. Very small dining room w/ 2 ornate pillars that force you to lean over any diner sitting in the adjacent seating. The food was good but not remarkably good. The shrimp cocktail was average. The steaks were well cooked but seasoned poorly. They had smoky flavor but lacked in salt and pepper. The wait staff were courteous but became less attentive as the dining room filled with patrons. The two took care of the dining area and the bar. Therefore there was no offer of more wine and while desert was mentioned as the plates were removed we didn't get an opportunity to try any as our waitress thanked us and presented the check several minutes later. Expect more when spending $100 before tip.Special Features:
- Loved Blue CatpattiDined on 11/26/2013Will definitely return. Excellent food. Excellent wine. Excellent server. Small & intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic filetGoods48Dined on 11/24/2013I've been to The Blue Cat twice in one week and had the filet both times because it was so good the first time. The second time was just as fantastic as the first. My wife had the sirloin special and raved about the flavor. The menu is skewed in favor of steaks for entrees, but there also seemed to be a nice list of salads as well. The restaurant is intimate and wood paneled. It was a thoroughly wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Love this placekeithjevtDined on 11/23/2013I always have a good meal at the Blue Cat. They have great steaks at a fair price. Nice wine list and good service.Special Features:
- Great MealHoyt80Dined on 11/23/2013The Blue Cat is a hidden treasure in the heart of Burlington! The food and atmosphere are both spectacular and the wait staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and great at what they do! I highly recommend dinner at The Blue Cat, one of the best meals you can find anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2013The best romantic place in Burlington, and the service was excellent. Very friendly and smiling people. Definitely a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb steakslaneylouDined on 11/14/2013Loved the quiet coziness and the feeling of intimacy. The steaks were cooked to perfection as well as the salmon. The service was terrific. She made sure we were able to get to our play on time without feeling rushed. Can not wait to return to try more dishes.Special Features:
- My wife and I went to theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013My wife and I went to the Blue Cat for our anniversary. The restaurant is small and quite, perfect for a romantic dinner. Service was great.Special Features:
- The Quality is Consistently GoodRichardDined on 11/9/2013We have been loyal patrons for about 5 years and find the Blue Cat to be the perfect place for an excellent and very pleasant dining experience. The wine list is outstanding. The number of French speaking customers from Quebec is a tribute to the excellence of this restaurant. We have never been disappointed. The service is always outstanding, and the hosts, thoroughly charming.Special Features:
- Quiet and smallNYerDined on 11/8/2013The restaurant was a little tight. You had to slip into your seat. The food was good. There were four of us and we could have a nice conversation. Waitress was attentive. I had the steak with the Foie Gras, yummy! Diner that had raviolis said they were good but not enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny little gem. White linens.CharmingVIPDined on 11/8/2013Tiny little gem. White linens. Great steak and local fare. Will dine again.Special Features:
- Food is always great here!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2013Food is always great here! We picked a wine that they didn't have and they upgraded us which was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2013We decided to try this place. Once we finally found it, it was a weird setting, a restaurant in a building and it was pretty small. None the less, large wine selection. The sound system was horrible and right behind us. The food wasn't anything special, but it was good. For the money, definitely not worth it... burlington has so many great restaurants that we won't even think about coming back.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationTimothyDined on 10/16/2013My wife and I celebrated my 70th birthday with our son and lady friend. It was the perfect venue, good food and quiet enough for conversation. We will certainly return before my 80th!Special Features:
- Horrible serviceJanCDined on 10/11/2013I went to the Blue Cat last year and had a great experience. We had a waitress that knew food and knew wine (something that really want when going to a "wine bar"). Went up to Burlington with 6 friends for a long weekend and decided we would go to dinner there because last year the food, wine and service were great. The waitress was unable to recommend wines and was horrible at service. Brought out salads before the cheese plates, never explained the cheeses. We ordered a few bottles of wine and the one we wanted with our dinner never arrived. We ate dinner with empty wine glasses, empty water glasses. Food was great, but service was terrible. Won't be back. Go to VIN if you want a good wine bar and staff who appreciates wines.Special Features:
- Great hideawaybluedogzDined on 10/11/2013Blue Cate Cafe is hidden down an alley and takes a little work to find. Fortunately, it was worth it. An important bit for me: I am somewhat hearing-impaired and cannot suffer noisy restaurants in the slightest. Blue cat was quite busy when we were there, and I could hear my wife's conversation perfectly. I would not suggest this restaurant for families with kids- it's small and quiet and the mac-and-cheese crowd is unlikely to enjoy it. On the other hand, it's perfect for date night for mom & dad. I can highly recommend the seared duck breast with maple jus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burlington's hidden treatJane1414Dined on 10/6/2013Good food and ambiance at the Blue Cat! Especially appealing is the Sunday night special of a salad and excellent steak with sides and a glass of wine of your choice for $25. Try it, you'll like it.Special Features:
- Good dining experience. WentNor1Dined on 10/4/2013Good dining experience. Went with several friends for dinner on a college reunion weekend. We were all a little apprehensive that we made a reservation without a personal recommendation however we all were pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect romantic eveningAjjesseDined on 9/29/2013We recently dined here and had a fabulous evening. Quiet table, great food and we both had steaks which were cooked and seasoned perfectly. Wine list was extensive. Service was perfect (Joselyn) and will certainly come back again. I had what they called the "Sunday night special" - salad, steak, 2 sides and glass of wine for $25. This is certainly the best deal in Burlington. We dine out in Burlington every other week and this place has made the top of the return-to list. We always ask for a quiet table when we make a reservation anywhere so we can sit and talk to each other. This is the first place that fully honored this request and sat us at a table in the corner next to the bar. Simply perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this lovely restaurantGinnyDined on 9/27/2013We loved this lovely restaurant The food was excellent. The service superb and the atmosphere Beautiful, quiet,relaxing and very charming It will be a destination annual for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More local ingredients neededLuvgoodfoodDined on 9/20/2013Pretty restaurant tucked away. Well meaning service. Disappointed that the only grass fed beef was the special and there were no local wines to complement our meal. So many VT places to source from!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.