2028 Fairmount Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://farerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2676393063
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday, 11 am to 3 pm
Dinner: Sunday through Thursday, 3 pm to 10 pm
Friday and Saturday, 3 pm to 11 pm
Happy Hour: Monday through Friday, 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday, 9 am to 3:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Perry Katsapis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off site catering for groups of any size.
A word from Fare Restaurant
Fare is a restaurant and wine bar located in the heart of the Art Museum area on Fairmount Avenue across from historic Eastern State Penitentiary and only a few blocks away from the Philadelphia Art Museum. Our cuisine can be described as clean, focusing on sustainable, local, organic, artisan ingredients with many seafood options. We also serve 20+ wines by the glass, as well as sustainable wines, 50+ craft beers and a novel cocktail menu. This restaurant was built with eco-friendly materials throughout.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fare Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)fit for foodies (36)great for outdoor dining (34)great for brunch (24)great for lunch (17)special occasion (12)notable wine list (10)good for groups (10)romantic (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- great spot for gatheringsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2013Food was great! I had scallops. They were done to perfection over a bed of pesto linguini! Menu varied and had something for all. A get together with a few friends. Was the perfect place.Special Features:
- consistently greatgeedubVIPDined on 11/16/2013I've been to Fare many times and once again had a great meal and service in a friendly atmosphere, so lucky to have them in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Fries, Rest Of Meal GoodSuzanneDined on 11/13/2013Good, inventive food, but the only stellar point was the hand cut fries. The rest of the meal was merely good. They were exceptional. Service seemed slow for the number of diners the night we went. Good selection of wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/10/2013Very good selection of vegetarian options. Reasonably priced. Bar made it a little noisy. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent !Miggz10Dined on 11/9/2013Heated patio /outdoor great for autumn evening. Danielle was brilliant. Menu was diverse & delectable ! Street parking free & active for a night stroll after dinner. Eastern Penn is across street for entertainment. Great place! Eco-friendly & farm fresh!Special Features:
- Good EverythingsaraDined on 11/4/2013It was a good choice; food was excellent and service was great. Place has a very nice sort of crisp, clean look that's very modern, but homey. I would recommend it to everyone. Price was good too.Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/2/2013Brunch at Fare was simply delicious. Everyone enjoyed their meals and the freshness was apparent in each. All were flavored well and though it took some time for the meal to come to our table, the waitress reflected this in the bill without even being asked which was pretty awesome! The potatoe pancake, eggs benedict, and apple & ricotta pancakes were all hits with my group. I would recommend Fare for dinner or brunch. With its cool grey atmosphere and farm to table food, you really can't go wrong. Plus, the music selection on Saturday morning was fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were each impressed withDeLoveDined on 11/1/2013We were each impressed with the service, someone offered us extra pitas for our hummus, which never happens. the truffle fries were amazing, as was the tuna tartareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair prices at FareamuseboucheDined on 10/25/2013The service at FARE is rather abysmal. The staff are unwelcoming, unpleasant, and unwilling to please their customers. The food was decent, albeit there was a clear imbalance of flavors. Too much vinegar and too many roasted peppers on the caprese turned what is supposed to be a light salad into a heavy vegetable medley. The amount of yogurt herb sauce dolloped on the bison open burger again, overpowered the delicate flavoring of the meat. Lastly, the music is far too loud--it is nearly impossible to hear those at your table.
- Out of ChickenFairmountBrittDined on 10/20/2013While there for a late brunch, the restaurant ran out of chicken. In my group at Fare, three out of the five people wanted the chicken on the brunch menu. Needless to say we were very disappointed. The waiter we had was short and not very warm. However, I did notice that another waitress at Fare was very kind and warm, so maybe he was having a bad day. The food was good--but not was three people wanted. Overall, nice atmosphere--probably won't come back though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fare was well, fairK2escottVIPDined on 10/16/2013I'd been meaning to try Fare for a year as I work close enough to walk. I have heard good things. Maybe we didn't order well but overall the food was very bland. We had to ask for salt and pepper and then even asked for a lemon to squeeze on the kale salad. It as well as the leek/fennel dish were missing flavor. The fries were just basic. The tuna tartare had flavor but wasn't as fresh tasting as I expected. The beer and cider selection was Good. The server realized we weren't enjoying our food and comped our dessert which was very nice. It too was just basic.
- We were there on a vey quietLesTVIPDined on 10/14/2013We were there on a vey quiet early evening. A Monday holiday! The restaurant was nearly empty. The service was, perhaps as a result, excellent. The food was very good, but did not reach the level of outstanding. The choice of drinks was very interesting. There aren't many places that offer a choice of hard ciders as well as Belgian beers. Fare does. The wine list was interesting as well. We tried the hard cider and the Belgian beer. I had the trout for the main course. It was very good and, mercifully, quite light on salt. I would come back here any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, underwhelming foodVegetarianDined on 10/13/2013While Fare presented a cozy atmosphere with a comfortable noise level, the food's quality didn't quite match up with the somewhat-high prices. I appreciated that much of the food was local and organic, but the preparation left a lot to be desired and as a result the experience as a whole was somewhat mediocre. However, the cocktail selection seemed to be pretty extensive and creative, so those who enjoy such things might find compensation for the food in the libations.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantLocal1Dined on 10/12/2013Dinner at Fare was everything I hoped for. We are from out of town, and found Fare by looking for restaurants near where we were staying. What attracted us was their menu focus on fresh, locally sourced ingredients and nice, well priced wine selection. We enjoyed all our dishes, especially scallops with whole wheat pasta, which we were a little wary of because whole wheat pasta often does not have as nice a texture; in this case it was great. The dining room was energetic, but my daughter and I had a table in a corner where we were able to hear each other without raising our voices. Our dinner turned out to be part of a great Philly experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fantastic. TheOutandAboutDined on 10/11/2013The food was fantastic. The server tried exceptionally hard to upsell us in every course and in the bottle of wine we ordered, it ruined the mood in the beginning. But a nice ambiance, delicious food and great company over shadowed the annoyance of a server. The rest of the serving/hosting staff was delightful and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place adds to the selectionTkapVIPDined on 10/7/2013This place adds to the selection in the neighborhood. I have been there several times and find the food above average, but service is off. A little more customer attention would bring this spot up the a gem.
- Sloooooooow Monday nightkekeVIPDined on 10/7/2013I made a reservation, but didn't need one. We were seated by the window, which was nice. There was only 1 other table of people and by the time we left, 2 more parties were present. It took way too long to receive our meals and my water glass was empty for at least 10 minutes x 2. Our server was not busy and didn't come to check on us. I liked my salmon, but the others left disappointed. I tried the bison burger (so-sooverprice cumin, overpriced), the short rib flat bread (too dry), and the butternut squash soup (spicy and not sweet). We had to offer our "bored faces" to finally get the check from someone- not our server whom said nothing to me as I walked by her and out of the restaurant.
- Each time I eat at this restaurantLauraVIPDined on 9/29/2013Each time I eat at this restaurant the food is very good but the service is very slow.
- A Gem!MarieBrownDined on 9/25/2013Food was amazing, with service to match. I reccommmend the mushroom flatbread to start with. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the menu choices. This restaurant even made beets enjoyable! Imagine that!Special Features:
- Food is consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/22/2013Food is consistently good at Fare, and the wait-staff pleasant and attentive. One of our favorite Fairmount places.Special Features:
- right idea-not stellarkindofafoodsnobDined on 9/21/2013I like the focus of this restaurant, but the food was just OK- not memorable.
- Good food, slow servicefairmountgirl123Dined on 9/7/2013This was my third time dining at this restaurant. Overall, the food is pretty great (flat bread pizza for the appetizer and avocado crab cakes for main course are especially good). I love the outside seating area, which is intimate and provides a great view of the historic Penitentiary across the street and people watching. Pretty thorough drink list, including wines and special cocktails such as the cucumber martini. My only complaint is the extremely slow service. Two of the three times I dined at this restaurant, it seemed to be significantly understaffed, although all of the waiters and waitresses were very pleasant. Also, the one time I sat inside, I was by the kitchen/bar area, which was crowded and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2013Waiter was thoughtful and knowledgeable. Outdoor area is nicely decorated with a vertical garden. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ample and Great Fare!!QualityFirstVIPDined on 8/28/2013Our first time was a charm at Fare. From the table location at the window, our server, Lisa, to the food, we simply had a delightful lunch. The arrugula and watermelon salad was huge and very good; the spicy tuna roll with fries could not have been better. The cappucino was superb. We look forward to a dinner there soon.Special Features:
- enjoyed brunchsassygirlDined on 8/25/2013We had a very nice brunch. The menu appeals to a variety of palettes including vegetarians and meat eaters. They offer a lovely cocktail menu and have a decent wine list. It is a little pricey but not extreme. I would return.Special Features:
- Fresh foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2013I liked Fare. The ambience, however, felt like a cafeteria. Could be a little more cozy. Food was fresh and tasty. Will go again.Special Features:
- Ladies BrunchJCP720Dined on 8/18/2013Great place to sit out side on a Sunday and have cocktails. Food was fantastic. This was my second visit and both times everyone thoroughly enjoyed their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FareDebB1Dined on 8/15/2013We really enjoyed our experience at Fare. We'd been wanting to go and finally got there. The place is very nice. Kind of a mod diner with really amazing menu choices. The beer selection is very nice as is the wine. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2013This is the 3rd time at Fare with different people and we have all enjoyed it. The menu is interesting and the food delicious. The staff is accommodating and helpful.Special Features:
- Wonderful PlaceChazDined on 8/10/2013There is nothing just Fare about this place, it is an amazing and wonderful restaurant that I am telling everyone about. Took my wife there for her birthday, and had the most fantastic food and drink. Great, Great, Great place!,,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fairmount GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2013My wife and I decided to try Fare one night after hearing a friend talk about it. It was an incredible dining experience. Upon entering we were seated promptly at one of their outdoor table in the front of the restaurant. Our server, I believe his name was Chuck, was a wealth of information. He noticed we had trouble deciding on what to drink and asked us what we planned on eating. We said we were planning on getting the whole Branzino for two and he suggested an excellent bottle of wine to accompany our fish. The service was excellent, not only was our waiter very attentive, so was the other staff. All in all it was a wonderful evening and we will definitely be back and this time we will bring friends. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fare needs more consistencyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2013It's very uneven. One main dish was cooked perfectly--meat was rare as requested. But the flounder was far to cooked and dried out. This is our experience in the past two. Uneven.
- the food missed the spotThatguyDined on 8/3/2013Reading over the menu I got a good feeling about this place. Thinking ok these dishes look fresh non-greasy and delicious? No they weren't unfortunately I really wanted to love this place but was let down by the food. We had fantastic service, drinks, and sat outside which was wonderful. Just when the food was served it didn't meet the rest of the place. I'd be happy not coming back here again. However if in the area I would stop in at the bar and order a drink.Special Features:
- Loved the cocktails! FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/2/2013Loved the cocktails! Food hit or miss. With regard to service, bartender and hostess excellent and very friendly. Waiter on the other hand was painfully slow along with the kitchen. May try again bf I recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- Great Experience!ElliotDined on 7/23/2013This was my first time at Fare. The menu had a lot of options. I had the seafood pasta which was recommended by the waiter and it was excellent. My girlfriend had the whole branzino which she loved. Our waiter seemed very knowledgeable and made two great wine recommendations. The restaurant was small and simple but very hip. I will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT DINING EXPERIENCEJennMDined on 7/23/2013My sister and I heard a lot of great things about this restaurant so we decided to try it out. It exceeded both of our expectations. The atmosphere was very welcoming when we arrived at the restaurant. They had a great beer/ wine selection along with cocktail specials. The servers were very attentive and friendly which is very important to me. We started out with a crispy tuna roll which was very tasty. For dinner, I had the seared scallops with fetticini in a pesto sauce which was excellent. The dessert was very good as well. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone and can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots to be desired...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2013My girlfriend and I were excited to try out Fare on Friday night. Unfortunately, the experience was not what we were hoping for. The first 3 drinks we ordered were out. 2 of which were draft beers which - as someone with direct knowledge & experience on this side of the food & beverage industry - is unacceptable. Service was slow as well in our opinion. Upon ordering our meals, we found that a side dish to accompany the NY Strip entree was also out. Then after waiting for our food, my steak arrived and my girlfriend's entree was nowhere to be found. After asking when it would be out, our server informed us that "we did not order it," which is completely false. He explained that a "large party" came in and wiped them out. Hard to believe.
- A bit DissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2013I have eaten at Fare for lunch several times and it was excellent. Me and my wife recently went for dinner. The service was awful. The waiter messed up our order, never listened lied about trying food he didn't. The Food was extremely fair at Fare. The only plate that stood out was the octopus salad. I would try Fare again, but the service really needs to be addressed. At first when we walked in I thought the waiter was one of the patrons. He was attentive in the very beginning, but then we could barely find him during the meal, as well as the other issues mentioned earlier in this review. A bit of thumbs down for Fare. :(I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great dining experiencescarlettlbDined on 7/16/2013I am never disappointed by Fare! It was wonderful... as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2013The food was fresh, delicious and exciting. We were a party of 4 and we had no complaints, only rave reviews. I ordered the tuna burger as my main and it was outstanding. Great options for vegetarians as well. Prices are reasonable and the service was also wonderful. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.