2028 Fairmount Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://farerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2676393063x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday, 11 am to 3 pm
Dinner: Sunday through Thursday, 5 pm to 10 pm
Friday and Saturday, 5 pm to 11 pm
Happy Hour: Monday through Friday, 5 pm to 7 pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday, 9 am to 3:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Perry Katsapis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off site catering for groups of any size.
A word from Fare Restaurant
Fare is a restaurant and wine bar located in the heart of the Art Museum area on Fairmount Avenue across from historic Eastern State Penitentiary and only a few blocks away from the Philadelphia Art Museum. Our cuisine can be described as clean, focusing on sustainable, local, organic, artisan ingredients with many seafood options. We also serve 10+ wines by the glass, as well as sustainable wines, 50+ craft beers and a novel cocktail menu. This restaurant was built with eco-friendly materials throughout.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fare Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (36)great for outdoor dining (31)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (15)special occasion (11)good for groups (8)notable wine list (7)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Fare is just...fair.SuburbanDinerDined on 7/9/2011Fare is a very attractive restaurant in a nice section of the city. While the intentions are admirable, the food is a work in progress. Portions are quite small, but the prices are acceptable. Some of our dishes were very tasty, but some overcooked and poorly seasoned. I think it deserves a second chance.
- good for vegetarians & carnivores!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2011We really enjoyed Fare. This was my second visit this month. The vegetarian dishes are meat-eater friendly. My husband (a carnivore) was happy to share everything (vegetarian) that I ordered.Special Features:
- the pleasantness of the GMOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2011the pleasantness of the GM was our favorite part; he made a rather standard meal very enjoyable.
- a fresh new spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2011LOVE LOVE our new restaurant Fare in Fairmount! great, healthy affordable fine dining for meat and veggie lovers alike. If you're into organic wines or cocktails, they have some fun ones. I recommend sitting indoors, as the outdoor seating is basically a parking pad between buildings, hope they'll figure out how to give it a little more fresh ambiance like inside, however being that the food is most important to me I can handle that. I think come Sept/Oct I'll appreciate that there is outdoor seating, but for now enjoy the cool bright interior. Fresh cooking, light meals leaving you full without being too full.Special Features:
- Delicious, convenient, and fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2011The food was truly great -- and creative. Portions are sized well, and still great for sharing too. Service was wonderful, their beverage list is strong, and it was a very enjoyable experience!Special Features:
- We tried this new neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/3/2011We tried this new neighborhood restaurant and were immediately startled by the flashback to the 80s: 4 Non Blondes blasting over the speakers. Not exactly the dinner ambiance we had hoped for. The service was just OK. They are definitely ironing out things as a new restaurant and may want to consider hiring one additional waitstaff for really full nights. The meal was also fine, not the most flavorful dishes, but good standard fare similar to what you could cook at home. Biggest perk was definitely the beer and wine list. We haven't written the place off, but are hoping our next visit will be a little smoother and maybe a little quieter.
- WOW this is greatProfGourmandVIPDined on 7/3/2011I would have given the service 5 stars except our food all arrived at the same time. This is a small plates (sharing) adventure and by the time we got to our third dish it was cold.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/1/2011Food was excellent. There were four of us and we each had something different . Everything was wonderfully prepared and delicious. So nice to have vegetarian offerings that were as perfectly done as the non veg options. This is a place we will definitely get back to - again and again.Special Features:
- More the "FARE" -OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/25/2011We love the look and feel of this restaurant and will return to try more dishes. The scallop appetizer was great and the watercress salad with avocado,grapefruit and blue cheese was a wonderful combination of flavors. The lamb entree was cooked perfectly and the whole roasted fish (mackerel) and sauce were delicious. The cocktails were unique and refreshing. Service was attentive and very friendly. There was a nice selection of wines by the glass and they were very affordable. This is a new neighborhood gem. We'll be back!!!Special Features:
- Great Concept!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/25/2011FARE offers a unique and special dining experience. The diner can really feel the quality of then restaurant as soon as you walk into the door. The food is ALL organic and fresh; you can really taste the quality of everything you eat. Lots of reasonable priced items on the menu too. As far as the wines, they even have some Organic Wine selections. Their wine and liquor prices are very reasonable too as they offer special cocktails at $8 and glasses of wine for $5.50. The restaurant staff goes out of their way to make sure you enjoy the experience. FARE really takes pride in what they do and it is nice to see a restaurant actually care so much about your experience there. Cheers to FARE!Special Features:
- Really tasty organic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2011Really tasty organic food with excellent variety offered. Good-portions for the price. Reasonably priced wine list. Delicious, unique desserts made on-site.Special Features:
- Fantastic Fairmount RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/23/2011Absolutely fantastic restaurant in Fairmount. It does a great job of blending a trendy bar scene with a neighborhood restaurant. Definitely a must try for, healthy cooking, great wine, and a nice selection of hard-to-find beers. The two times we've been there, we've had Jessica as our waitress and she is great. Request her if you can.Special Features:
- Restaurant has potential.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/22/2011Restaurant has potential. Visited first month open. Very eclectic beer and wine menu which I loved. Food menu was interesting but the execution was lacking. Had to send one dish back to the kitchen because it was overcooked. Manager was very apologetic and accommodating.
- Fare is Better Than Fair-It's GoodSarckVIPDined on 6/21/2011I went here with my friend who has a gluten-free diet, and she could eat almost everything on the menu! All the food was fresh, and healthy, though we put salt on everything as it lacked a bit of flavor/spice. Large, diverse, and appealing menu, as well as great wine, beer, and cocktail list. Big bar scene and comfy chairs makes it good for a drink wit ha date or dinner with family. Nice to have outdoor seating, too.
- Quality restaurant. QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2011Quality restaurant. Quality food and service. I love Fare for it's friendly staff, creative dishes and healthy ingredients. The attention to detail is consistent and across the board. It's become my go-to place for dinner whether during the week or weekends.Special Features:
- This was our second visitLadyVIPDined on 6/18/2011This was our second visit to Fare and it excellent once again.Special Features:
- One of my new favorite restaurants!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/18/2011As a vegan, the options are pretty limited in Philadelphia. Fare is doing a lot to change that. The food was amazing and creative and the staff couldn't have been more warm and welcoming. We had a fantastic night. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Great addition to Fairmount areaOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/18/2011What a great addition to the Art Museum Area. Eclectic and tasty menu with a nice wine list. Love the airy feeling and trendy decor. Will be back. Need more than 2 high chairs ... both were taken by the time we arrived with our 22 month old.Special Features:
- A neighborhood treatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2011An affordable dining experience with the very best food quality. Wonderful flavors. Vegetarians get great choices. Drink prices reasonable. Try it all. Great menu. I would feel very comfortable going in alone and having a glass of wine and meal at the bar. It is a gem.Special Features:
- Unfortunately, our experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2011Unfortunately, our experience was Fare was just that - fair. The food was fine, but bland. Just because it's organic doesn't mean it can't have flavor. When I go out to eat, I enjoy eating a meal better than I could ever cook myself at home. This was just the opposite - I could easily make the food better than was served to us. The service was also very poor. Our waitress neglected to ask us throughout our entire meal if we wanted a refill on our drinks (beer for my husband, wine for me), and when she did finally ask us, it was the end of the meal, and she never brought my glass of wine anyway. Although we had been very excited to trying a new restaurant in the neighborhood, this is not one we will head to again, or recommend.
- It's great to have a realOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2011It's great to have a real restaurant in Fairmount, as the other options are generally pretty sad (lots of "something something grille", halfhearted Thai, and a "fine dining" Italian experience that feels like a sports bar). Fare has a good wine selection and beautiful decor. The only problem is that the vegetarian options played like a bit of an afterthought. A little more attention to detail and this would be a real winner.Special Features:
- Unexpectedly delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2011The food was very unique. All organic, which normally doesn't excite me. But the flavors were delicious! Very little of the usual garlic and salt, and more of the natural flavors of the food. Manager came and talked to us; it's clear he (and everyone who works there) cares deeply about what they do.Special Features:
- Great wine & atmopshere, food mixedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2011Loved the decor. Tasteful and serene, very modern. Very much enjoyed the wines and prices -- all under $10! House rose great for $5.50. Will definitely be back for wine and atmosphere. Read on menu that food is "not overly seasoned" so taste of ingredients come through. Worrisome, considering sometimes food can be seasoned to bring out flavors, not mask them. Two dishes were stand outs. Mushroom and carrot cakes complex, interesting! Texture of hot-smoked salmon delicately melt-in-your-mouth, and pesto was lively with citrus tang. Other dishes fell flat. Artichoke stew bland, even with bacon. Scallops unmemorable. Suggestion? Add fresh herbs, wine, zest, etc. to perk up taste without overpowering freshness.Special Features:
- Fare has a great concept however,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2011Fare has a great concept however, the food left something to be desired . The appetizers were small and not all that flavorful, the salad was an odd mix of greens with very little dressing , and we had to send one of the entrees back because it was so dry and over cooked (mushroom cake) . We gave our opinion to our server and the general manager. The wine and the food seemed a bit pricey for what it is . Sadly, that neighborhood does not have any restaurants that are all that good. Maybe in 6 months I will try it again.
- Food was interesting and freshBobsiVIPDined on 6/14/2011Food was interesting and fresh and creative. Mushroom cakes a little dry.Special Features:
- the Food, food food!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/13/2011Fantastic food. I would write other things about the service, etc BUT the food is the key. Fresh ingredients prepared perfectly. Simple combintations...Love it!Special Features:
- great food and pricesBKmomVIPDined on 6/12/2011We were very impressed with Fare. The food was so fresh, ample portions, great prices, interesting combinations, and very delicious. The wait staff needs a little work- a few reminders to bring something but the overall experience was terrific. This is also a great place for gluten-free food- many choices on the menu. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Food was overcooked and bland.2fordinnerDined on 6/11/2011Food was overcooked and bland. Waitress didn't know the menu. The check was thrown on the table and no dessert was offered. She never checked to see if we needed or wanted anything. Our order was wrong.
- I very much enjoyed my mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/11/2011I very much enjoyed my meal at the recently opened restaurant. The waitress could have done a better job explaining how large the portions were before she took our order - we ordered too much food. Unusually, they only offer wine by the glass or 1/2 litres of house wine. The wine list didn't mention vintages, which I found odd. Fare focuses on organic food and I loved my avocado grapefruit salad with watercress. My entree was pork cooked with tomatoes, gin and almond milk. I couldn't detect the gin or almond milk and the flavors weren't as complex as I hoped, but it was tasty. I definitely plan on returning and seeing how this lovely Neighborhood Gem matures.Special Features:
- Good place near art museum.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/11/2011Fare is a lovely addition to the neighborhood. Service is very friendly and attentive. The design is refreshing and comfortable. The food was good, but some dishes still need some work. Mussels in carrot broth are excellent. Roasted cauliflower was tasty. A few entrees need some tweaking, but have potential. We'd like to go again in a few weeks to try other dishes and maybe brunch. We enjoyed the views of Eastern State Penitentiary.
- The food was overall quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 6/10/2011The food was overall quite good. The onion soup with fennel grilled cheese was amazing as was the scallop appetizer. The chicken meatballs and chicken thighs could use a bit more spice since chicken really doesn't carry much flavor on it's own. The space is beautifully decorated, although it could use some soundproofing. It was quite loud and it was difficult to have a conversation. Overall we really enjoyed it and we will be returning for sure! It is so nice to have a 100% organic restaurant in the area!Special Features:
- We had dinner at Fare on theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/9/2011We had dinner at Fare on the later side, and the place was still packed. Overall the food was fantastic - the roasted cauliflower salad was the only thing that was a bit disappointing (the texture just didn't seem right to me). The small plate with grilled cheese and french onion soup was FANTASTIC, and the duck was just delicious. The shortcake was a fantastic end to the meal. Great wine pairing recommendations throughout the night from our wonderfully helpful server. We'll definitely be back to taste more of the menu!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful menu. AmazinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2011Wonderful menu. Amazingly good value for excellent food and presentation. There Features organic local foods prepared in gourmet style. The dishes ran the gamut from Italian to Middle Eastern to Nouveau America depending on the ingredients. Order several plates and shareSpecial Features:
- My new favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/7/2011My new favorite restaurant in Philly. Food was fantastic. Decor lovely with almost a lounge feel later at night when they turned down the lights. Robert one of the managers was very attentive and given they have only been open a few weeks they were very interested in getting feedback on the food and whole experience. This is a fantastic addition in Fairmount and I can't wait to go back ..already made my next reservation!Special Features:
- eco and people friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2011Eclectic, creative menu. Sustainable, organic, high quality ingredients. Presented artfully, with pride and care. You can view the kitchen through a glass window. Every detail of the restaurant acknowledges sustainability. Even the eco-friendly packaged house wine! Moderately priced, great time My only concern was the ambient noise, which made conversation with my partner a little challenging. Otherwise,well done!Special Features:
- Great restaurant; great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2011Great experience with Fare. The service, food, and wine were all great with a view of the bustling neighborhood under the shadow of the historic penitentiary. My wife and I both remarked that it was the best dining experience we have had since our vacation in Europe this early spring.Special Features:
- They have their act togetherLadyVIPDined on 6/4/2011They have their act together for a new restaurant.Special Features:
- As a newly opened facilityOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/2/2011As a newly opened facility Fare was stilling finding its legs. Service was a bit slow, food could have come out a bit warmer (warmed plates may have helped). However, overall the meal was perfect in terms of portions (perfect size that left you feeling sated and not stuffed) and flavor. All in all I would highly recommend and I can only expect it to get better with time.Special Features:
- Delicious menu, prompt service,DinerVIPDined on 6/2/2011Delicious menu, prompt service, and stylish decor. Great find!Special Features: