Cafe La Haye
140 E Napa St
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Cafe La Haye
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafelahaye.com/
- Phone: 7079355994
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey H. Lloyd
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Farm to Table, Wine
A word from Cafe La Haye
Located just off the square in the town of Sonoma "Cafe La Haye is one of those rare restaurants in which you know the moment you walk in the door you're going to have a good time...Simple food prepared to perfection... excellent service". -Michael Bauer San Francisco Chronicle!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Cafe La Haye - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Cafe La Haye reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (97)neighborhood gem (78)special occasion (67)romantic (45)notable wine list (44)hot spot (17)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2014Foods was amazing. Host was gracious. Our waitress needed a little more skill in the area of customer satisfaction. We paid for two coekages fees and she only poured our wine twice throughout dinner. Had some attitude at times. Enduring customers that they are important is the key to the overall experience.Special Features:
- Exceptional ManagementSouthernaccentDined on 5/16/2014The manager/owner dealt beautifully with a loud and drunk guest by comping his wine and getting him out of the restaurant. He was very protective of his other guests and our fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableMichaelDined on 5/15/2014It was our 31st Anniversary so we were looking for special, but not over the top. Cafe La Haye in Sonoma is consistently excellent. I gave it only 4 stars because my wife's Ahi, which she request rare, came medium. Saul, the owner, immediately picked up that she was not happy, came over and offered to replace the dish. (Her Ahi was the last portion of the night) My wife didn't want anything else and accepted her fate... Saul comped the dessert to make amends. The service was excellent, it was a beautiful night and we had a good time.Special Features:
- Great!Jgb8080VIPDined on 5/14/2014Dinner was perfect everything was very fresh and well seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute AwesomenesswineanddineDined on 5/10/2014Loved this quaint neighborhood spot. Plenty of local ingredients and wines! Great find in a somewhat touristy town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014Food was delicious! The mushroom soup was outstanding! Pork chops were tender and flavorful. Excellent!!Special Features:
- A Pennsylvania Perspectivekdjd1Dined on 5/10/2014Definitely a must for anyone visiting Sonoma looking for a quaint romantic and inviting atmosphere.menu was one of the better ones we've had in a awhile. Reservations a must. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fine diningCorkieKDined on 5/10/2014We came here 15 years ago and loved our first dinner at Cafe La Haye. We have come here ever since. The food is well prepared, the plates are attractively presented, it has good service and a friendly atmosphere. The restaurant always ranks high in popularity in the Sonoma Valley and that is because it is a wonderful restaurant. We recommend it to visitors and take our family here as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014I WE HAD HEARD THE LA HAYE WAS THE BEST RESTAURANT IN SONOMA AND WE LOOKED FORWARD TO IT WITH GREAT ANTICIPATION. THE APPETIZERS AND DESSERT WHERE THE BEST THING. ENTREES WERE MEDIOCRE, ESPECIALLY FOR THE PRICE. QUAIL WAS ENOUGH FOR A VERY SMALL PERSON. PASTA SPECIAL PRETTY BUT BLAND. SERVICE WAS OK BUT NOTHING SPECIAL. HAD TO ASK SEVERAL TIMES FOR WATER.Special Features:
- Dinner-a perfect Sonoma experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Our hotel recc Cafe La Haye. We were seated immediately, the food was simple but so full of flavor. Reasonable wine list with great choices. I think our bottle was $42 and amazing. The service was impeccable. Oh! The dessert. It was a dark chocolate with hazelnut crust, insane. I had the pork chop and my husband had the filet. Both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/2/2014One member in our party did not like their dish, & told the server. The server kept insisting that a reason be given as to why the party did not like the dish. The reason did not sit well with another member of the staff, but in the end a requested replacement was served.
- Great little placePaczkiDined on 5/1/2014Intimate space with a great local wine list. Just off the square. Had a lavender creme brûlée for dessert that was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemRhyleeDined on 5/1/2014This place just keeps getting better and better. A more modernized version of the past menu. Their trout appetizer was just superb and the pork chop tender and flavorful. A perfect dinner where you can run I to lots of locals. We loved it.Special Features:
- Comfortable and CoolLaurenVIPDined on 4/30/2014Great place! Sophisticated and laid-back environment. They accommodated my plant-based diet very well. Excellent wine, needless to say!Special Features:
- Everything Very Well DoneCliomanDined on 4/30/2014Went for Anniversary Dinner and we weren't disappointed. Outstanding salad and entrees. Service was attentive but not over bearing. Wine selection was well balanced and reasonable. Nice ambiance and wonderful abstract painting everywhere. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- PROFESSIONALclaytVIPDined on 4/29/2014I AM A LOCAL AND SOMEWHAT OF A ''FOODIE". CAFE LA HAYE IS A LITTLE EXPENSIVE - AS ARE ALL RESTAURANTS IN SONOMA - BUT IT REPRESENTS VALUE. THE FOOD, SERVICE, AMBIENCE ARE ALWAYS VERY GOOD, YEAR AFTER YEAR. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2014Cafe La Haye is really, really food-driven; we had a stellar meal. I plan to make it my regular place for dinner on all future visits to Sonoma.Special Features:
- Ah-maze-ing!Mflanne1Dined on 4/25/2014We went here because the amazing girl at Charles Creek Winery recommended the place. We had a delicious crab cake, an incredibly fresh beets salad, and the most tender and delicious filet mignon I've ever tasted. The atmosphere was casual chic, and the menu seemed to be crafted around whatever was fresh and available. We had a fabulous time and will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!FogRiderDined on 4/22/2014We have returned to Cafe La Haye over the past several years while visiting Sonoma wine country. The chef and staff provide consistent high quality service and well prepared meals that keep us (and many others) coming back!Special Features:
- Group dinnerJuneDined on 4/19/2014We had a delightful pre-Easter dinner. We all thoroughly enjoyed the food, wine, and in particular, the service. Our group ranged from age 27-86, so varied tastes to say the least. We were able to converse, as the noise level was low, and we had a round table. The menu is limited, and everything is cooked to perfection. Our only suggestion would be to offer some vegetables ala carte. We look forward to dining there again...soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in show..EvaJVIPDined on 4/19/2014Cafe la Haye is hands down the best dining experience in Sonoma if not in the whole of the Sonoma/Napa Valley in my opinion. They always have a wonderful food and wine menu with very interesting choices that are very reasonably priced. The owner, Saul, always goes above and beyond to make the experience special and always personally greets you when you come in. Most restaurants lack that level of service and intimacy that make the evening so much more enjoyable. Cafe la Haye is our go to restaurant when we want to treat ourselves. Make sure you book in advance especially for Fridays or Saturdays as it books up fast and for good reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!!greatfood77Dined on 4/16/2014Really good food. Ok service. Expect a little bit better service for this type of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmedmy2lincolnsDined on 4/12/2014Tasty but not exceptional. Seated and check paid in 50 minutes. Rushed
- badnitedine2Dined on 4/9/2014Might have been an off night. We are from out of state, but from the reviews we were expecting a little more. The prices are high enough to expect excellence, but was disappointed for this booking. Very tight quarters and hard not to listen to other conversations.
- recommended by localsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2014short menu that changes; interesting, complex foods which were quite good. Small, comfortable restaurant just off Sonoma's main square. Despite eating rather early on a weeknight, we were glad to have used Open Table for reservations as it got rather full quckly.Special Features:
- They stuck us at a table facingUnhappy1Dined on 3/25/2014They stuck us at a table facing a wall. Another couple that came in behind us was seated at a nice table. They appeared to be locals. Convinced it was because it was an open table reservation. That couple and another that came in behind us were both served cocktails and wine before we were spoken to. One had our same wait person. As for the food, mine was good. My wife's was not. She had a special tagliatelle with oxtail. There was no oxtail. Just mushy pasta in a brown sauce. Much Better places in Sonoma.
- Always terrifichalfdomeVIPDined on 3/22/2014Great meal and excellent service once again! All courses were five stars. We frequent Café La Haye and have never been disappointed. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hometown GemBELLCAPTDined on 3/21/2014No need to leave Sonoma for world class food and service. It's right here in Slonoma! Saul Gropmann and his team produce excellence year after from a pocket sized kitchen, and have never disappointed us since they have opened years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible tableSonomaCountyDinersDined on 3/15/2014Never accept table 11 unless you want to look at a wall all nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice, but crampedSonomaJDined on 3/14/2014While the food at Cafe La Haye is delicious and the staff is very warm and pleasant, the environment is a bit too cramped to be highly romantic. Every word at the tables next to you can be heard. Light music might help cover the conversations and street noise and some flowers on the tables would help set a more romantic scene. Also, the tables are a bit too cramped for larger groups, so I would be unlikely to schedule an event with several couples there.Special Features:
- Lovely white tablecloth restaurentSonoma51VIPDined on 3/13/2014Cafe Le Haye is a lovely white tablecloth restaurant near Sonoma Square, but it is not stuffy. The service is friendly but correct. The food is prepared with great care. We chose to try is out during restaurant week and we are so glad we did. We will be back and will be bringing our foodie friends with us.Special Features:
- Great food in SonomaEdBgDined on 3/12/2014There are many great places to eat in the town of Sonoma, but this is one of the best. Small restaurant on two levels allows comfortable conversation. The Food is creative and unfailingly well prepared and presented. Service attentive, but not overly assertive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014Good service, Great food, excellent wine. Made our anniversary very special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014When I take my husband out for dinner, I like to take him to someplace special and Cafe Le Haye did a wonderful job! The atmosphere was very classic, the food delicious and the service impeccable. I loved the fact that there were quite a few locals there and that everyone was greeted warmly by the owner/manager. Would definitely go there again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MarilynVIPDined on 3/1/2014Our dinner was absolutely scrumptious. Reservations are promptly honored. Staff couldn't be nicer or more knowledgable. Our favorite place to have dinner in Sonoma.Special Features:
- First time visitKenwoodDined on 3/1/2014Friends had suggested Cafe La Haye and on our first opportunity to visit, the atmosphere was pleasant, staff attentive but not hovering and the food was tasty.Special Features:
- Nice but tight fitMNO1VIPDined on 2/28/2014Very nice place with excellent foot but given all the great choices I would only go once. It was not bad but nothing specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodbirthdayDined on 2/28/2014Found this by searching restaurants in Sonoma. It was very highly rated and I see why. Food was delicious, nice wine list and excellent service. Will definitely return on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe La Yay !Rustymom64VIPDined on 2/28/2014We dined here with another couple on Friday. None of us had been here in over a year. Food was excellent, service was great. this is a wonderful small cafe in Sonoma. We will be back again soonSpecial Features:
- lovely placeMargoiVIPDined on 2/27/2014outstanding food and service--very small and quaint--wine and beer only! couldn't have been happierSpecial Features: