Cafe La Haye
140 E Napa St
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Cafe La Haye
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafelahaye.com/
- Phone: 7079355994
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey H. Lloyd
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Farm to Table, Wine
A word from Cafe La Haye
Located just off the square in the town of Sonoma "Cafe La Haye is one of those rare restaurants in which you know the moment you walk in the door you're going to have a good time...Simple food prepared to perfection... excellent service". -Michael Bauer San Francisco Chronicle!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Cafe La Haye - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Cafe La Haye reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (77)special occasion (69)romantic (45)notable wine list (43)hot spot (15)great for lunch (5)late-night find (5)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Nice, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/2/2014One member in our party did not like their dish, & told the server. The server kept insisting that a reason be given as to why the party did not like the dish. The reason did not sit well with another member of the staff, but in the end a requested replacement was served.
- Great little placePaczkiDined on 5/1/2014Intimate space with a great local wine list. Just off the square. Had a lavender creme brûlée for dessert that was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemRhyleeDined on 5/1/2014This place just keeps getting better and better. A more modernized version of the past menu. Their trout appetizer was just superb and the pork chop tender and flavorful. A perfect dinner where you can run I to lots of locals. We loved it.Special Features:
- Comfortable and CoolLaurenVIPDined on 4/30/2014Great place! Sophisticated and laid-back environment. They accommodated my plant-based diet very well. Excellent wine, needless to say!Special Features:
- Everything Very Well DoneCliomanDined on 4/30/2014Went for Anniversary Dinner and we weren't disappointed. Outstanding salad and entrees. Service was attentive but not over bearing. Wine selection was well balanced and reasonable. Nice ambiance and wonderful abstract painting everywhere. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- PROFESSIONALclaytVIPDined on 4/29/2014I AM A LOCAL AND SOMEWHAT OF A ''FOODIE". CAFE LA HAYE IS A LITTLE EXPENSIVE - AS ARE ALL RESTAURANTS IN SONOMA - BUT IT REPRESENTS VALUE. THE FOOD, SERVICE, AMBIENCE ARE ALWAYS VERY GOOD, YEAR AFTER YEAR. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2014Cafe La Haye is really, really food-driven; we had a stellar meal. I plan to make it my regular place for dinner on all future visits to Sonoma.Special Features:
- Ah-maze-ing!Mflanne1Dined on 4/25/2014We went here because the amazing girl at Charles Creek Winery recommended the place. We had a delicious crab cake, an incredibly fresh beets salad, and the most tender and delicious filet mignon I've ever tasted. The atmosphere was casual chic, and the menu seemed to be crafted around whatever was fresh and available. We had a fabulous time and will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!FogRiderDined on 4/22/2014We have returned to Cafe La Haye over the past several years while visiting Sonoma wine country. The chef and staff provide consistent high quality service and well prepared meals that keep us (and many others) coming back!Special Features:
- Group dinnerJuneDined on 4/19/2014We had a delightful pre-Easter dinner. We all thoroughly enjoyed the food, wine, and in particular, the service. Our group ranged from age 27-86, so varied tastes to say the least. We were able to converse, as the noise level was low, and we had a round table. The menu is limited, and everything is cooked to perfection. Our only suggestion would be to offer some vegetables ala carte. We look forward to dining there again...soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in show..EvaJVIPDined on 4/19/2014Cafe la Haye is hands down the best dining experience in Sonoma if not in the whole of the Sonoma/Napa Valley in my opinion. They always have a wonderful food and wine menu with very interesting choices that are very reasonably priced. The owner, Saul, always goes above and beyond to make the experience special and always personally greets you when you come in. Most restaurants lack that level of service and intimacy that make the evening so much more enjoyable. Cafe la Haye is our go to restaurant when we want to treat ourselves. Make sure you book in advance especially for Fridays or Saturdays as it books up fast and for good reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!!greatfood77Dined on 4/16/2014Really good food. Ok service. Expect a little bit better service for this type of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmedmy2lincolnsDined on 4/12/2014Tasty but not exceptional. Seated and check paid in 50 minutes. Rushed
- badnitedine2Dined on 4/9/2014Might have been an off night. We are from out of state, but from the reviews we were expecting a little more. The prices are high enough to expect excellence, but was disappointed for this booking. Very tight quarters and hard not to listen to other conversations.
- recommended by localsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2014short menu that changes; interesting, complex foods which were quite good. Small, comfortable restaurant just off Sonoma's main square. Despite eating rather early on a weeknight, we were glad to have used Open Table for reservations as it got rather full quckly.Special Features:
- They stuck us at a table facingUnhappy1Dined on 3/25/2014They stuck us at a table facing a wall. Another couple that came in behind us was seated at a nice table. They appeared to be locals. Convinced it was because it was an open table reservation. That couple and another that came in behind us were both served cocktails and wine before we were spoken to. One had our same wait person. As for the food, mine was good. My wife's was not. She had a special tagliatelle with oxtail. There was no oxtail. Just mushy pasta in a brown sauce. Much Better places in Sonoma.
- Always terrifichalfdomeVIPDined on 3/22/2014Great meal and excellent service once again! All courses were five stars. We frequent Café La Haye and have never been disappointed. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hometown GemBELLCAPTDined on 3/21/2014No need to leave Sonoma for world class food and service. It's right here in Slonoma! Saul Gropmann and his team produce excellence year after from a pocket sized kitchen, and have never disappointed us since they have opened years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible tableSonomaCountyDinersDined on 3/15/2014Never accept table 11 unless you want to look at a wall all nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice, but crampedSonomaJDined on 3/14/2014While the food at Cafe La Haye is delicious and the staff is very warm and pleasant, the environment is a bit too cramped to be highly romantic. Every word at the tables next to you can be heard. Light music might help cover the conversations and street noise and some flowers on the tables would help set a more romantic scene. Also, the tables are a bit too cramped for larger groups, so I would be unlikely to schedule an event with several couples there.Special Features:
- Lovely white tablecloth restaurentSonoma51VIPDined on 3/13/2014Cafe Le Haye is a lovely white tablecloth restaurant near Sonoma Square, but it is not stuffy. The service is friendly but correct. The food is prepared with great care. We chose to try is out during restaurant week and we are so glad we did. We will be back and will be bringing our foodie friends with us.Special Features:
- Great food in SonomaEdBgDined on 3/12/2014There are many great places to eat in the town of Sonoma, but this is one of the best. Small restaurant on two levels allows comfortable conversation. The Food is creative and unfailingly well prepared and presented. Service attentive, but not overly assertive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014Good service, Great food, excellent wine. Made our anniversary very special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014When I take my husband out for dinner, I like to take him to someplace special and Cafe Le Haye did a wonderful job! The atmosphere was very classic, the food delicious and the service impeccable. I loved the fact that there were quite a few locals there and that everyone was greeted warmly by the owner/manager. Would definitely go there again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MarilynVIPDined on 3/1/2014Our dinner was absolutely scrumptious. Reservations are promptly honored. Staff couldn't be nicer or more knowledgable. Our favorite place to have dinner in Sonoma.Special Features:
- First time visitKenwoodDined on 3/1/2014Friends had suggested Cafe La Haye and on our first opportunity to visit, the atmosphere was pleasant, staff attentive but not hovering and the food was tasty.Special Features:
- Nice but tight fitMNO1VIPDined on 2/28/2014Very nice place with excellent foot but given all the great choices I would only go once. It was not bad but nothing specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodbirthdayDined on 2/28/2014Found this by searching restaurants in Sonoma. It was very highly rated and I see why. Food was delicious, nice wine list and excellent service. Will definitely return on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe La Yay !Rustymom64VIPDined on 2/28/2014We dined here with another couple on Friday. None of us had been here in over a year. Food was excellent, service was great. this is a wonderful small cafe in Sonoma. We will be back again soonSpecial Features:
- lovely placeMargoiVIPDined on 2/27/2014outstanding food and service--very small and quaint--wine and beer only! couldn't have been happierSpecial Features:
- One of the best in Sonoma CountyJoelVIPDined on 2/25/2014Menu is innovative with flavors that complement each other and are finely balanced, ingredients are fresh, food is cooked to perfection and is delicious, service is both professional and friendly. Some very good wines on the wine list.Special Features:
- Compliments to the chef!JuliejetDined on 2/18/2014Went to Cafe La Haye for our 25th anniversary. Food was excellent! Had the ravioli's and beet salad for starters, then we both had the pork chop dinner. Very tasty. Good atmosphere and would recommend this to couples for a special dinner!Special Features:
- I Love This Placelisn4meDined on 2/15/2014I absolutely love Cafe la Haye. I discovered it through the recommendation of the Chronicle's Michael Bauer two years ago, fell in love with it when my wife and I visited during a weekend in Sonoma shortly thereafter, and have been back twice since then, most recently last Friday night. It's a small restaurant, very intimate and inviting, with fabulous food and service, and an owner who makes the rounds in a very friendly fashion to make sure every customer is being well cared for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placeBrianDined on 2/14/2014This restaurant had wonderful food and made our day very special. The food was very high quality including oysters, lobster risotto, and creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local restaurantGabbyDined on 2/12/2014Cafe La Haye was recommended to us by Silver Oak Winery staff in Healdsburg. We decided to give it a try, although we noted it had a limited dinner menu, but ample nightly specials on the board. The food was very good, maybe not huge portions (my husband loves to eat!) but ample. The potato au gratin that accompanied my roasted chicken dish was overcooked/burnt on the top, but below the top was flavorful, yet a bit dry. The soup of the day (celery root and Gabbiano ham) was amazing! We brought our own wine, but their list is extensive! We shared the granny smith apple crisp which was amazingly good and very plentiful to top off the evening. We'd recommend this restaurant and would likely return. Great servers also!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband took me to La HayeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/11/2014My husband took me to La Haye to celebrate my birthday. It was wonderful!! The ambience, food and service could not have been better!!! We had a fantastic time!Special Features:
- My favorite spot in SonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2014Love the food, the look, the service. The wine list is a perfect range of price points, types, and vintages. Much more eclectic and interesting than the typical wine list. You don't want to bring your own wine here; there's too many interesting wines offered. This is a superb restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it~LisaVIPDined on 2/1/2014Great food, very wine country.....lovely atmosphere, small and quaint. Always loved this place!Special Features:
- Outstanding specialsGregVIPDined on 1/31/2014The regular menu was enhanced with several enticing evening specials. Three of us enjoyed the sole which was served with mashed potatoes and kale and was cooked to perfection while the other person in our party had the quail, which was stuffed and prepared to perfection. We enjoyed the Apple/Oatmeal Crisp that was the special dessert of the evening. The food preparation and presentation was outstanding. It is a smaller restaurant and a reservation is highly recommended. We will definitely dine at this restaurant again before we leave Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Very Best!ArtayVIPDined on 1/31/2014The best run restaurant we have been to, and we've been coming here for over 11 years! The food, service and overall experience is worth the effort to drive to Sonoma. Specials are always SPECIAL and the wine list is exceptional.Special Features: