39 Stanhope Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redlanternboston.com/
- Phone: 6172623900x
- Hours of Operation:
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Sunday thru Wednesday:
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 1:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Friday & Saturday:
Bar and Lounge: 4:30pm - 2:00am
Dining Room: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Kevin Long
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Red Lantern
A sophisticated, sensual Asian Restaurant and Lounge, Red Lantern features the award-winning cuisine of Chef Kevin Long (Tosca, Stars, Shrine, GEM and Empire). A diverse Asian menu includes appetizers like Wood Fired Skewers, Spicy Lettuce Wraps, Peking Raviolis and Lobster Rangoons. An extensive dinner menu includes Wood Grilled Steaks, Seafood and Chicken Specialties, Wok and Noodle Dishes. Specialty Sushi Rolls and Traditional Sushi is prepared fresh to order. With a capacity of 300, Red Lantern features an open kitchen, sushi counter, wok station, oversized tables, a community table and private dining room for up to 40 guests. Stunning decor and exceptional cuisine come together to bring you on a culinary journey like no other.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Red Lantern - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Red Lantern reviews from OpenTable diners
226 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (120)vibrant bar scene (102)special occasion (92)hot spot (91)fit for foodies (82)late-night find (55)neighborhood gem (51)romantic (44)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (7)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great foodBerkerycVIPDined on 5/18/2014food was great. service was good. overall great spot.Special Features:
- GREAT ROLLSTMNDDined on 5/16/2014This was my second time at Red Lantern. With each occasion the food was outstanding however as many have stated before the service was just a little bit lacking. Our waiter was very nice but with such a large customer base its hard to stay ontop of every order. All in all I would highly suggest the Red Lantern it has great Chinese food and the rolls are delicious. Also I highly recommend the Lobster Ravioli it is one of the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- Outstanding food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2014The lobster and bacon fried rice was excellent. We received a complimentary dish, skewers, and they were awesome. Overall, it was a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster RangoondiningoutoftenVIPDined on 5/14/2014Food here is fresh and inventive. Great sushi and prepared main courses. Staff can be flighty - but all in all solidsSpecial Features:
- Good, but too funky for familyJimfromBostonDined on 5/11/2014Had attended and enjoyed a couple of corporate events at this venue, so thought it would be fun for a Mother's Day lunch. My mistake, just doesn't have the same of feel in vibe mid afternoon with the family. Food was good, but not great. Service was just okay. Cute new playground across the street for the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool venue, near Theater DistrictjdcarVIPDined on 5/10/2014Great little spot -- I've never been here before but I've heard a lot about it... has the feeling of one of those tucked away but cool hot spots b/c it is located at the end of a narrow, twisty street you'd probably never walk down but inside there is a spacious, very cool decor. Food/service were great... we'd definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceKDBalVIPDined on 5/9/2014This is our third time to Red Lantern and it never fails. The food is innovative in its presentation and delicious. We especially love the duck buns and the whole roasted duck. The sushi is fabulous as is the fried rice! We had a large group and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the evening!Special Features:
- DisappointedHazelDined on 5/6/2014I'm happy to pay for an expensive, great meal, but this food quality and atmosphere of restaurant does not reflect the pricing. On some entrees, more like Capitol Grill pricing with PJ Changs feel, actually PJ Changs food is better. $33 for Sea Bass? $25-30 for noodles (which none sounded appealing.) How can you kill lettuce wraps? I have heard the Sushi is very good.Special Features:
- Great AmbienceFirstTimeVisitDined on 5/3/2014Overall great dining experience. Food was excellent and wait staff very attentive. Was a busy night but we didn't feel rushed through dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm hungry just thinking about it!AMP21Dined on 5/3/2014Red Lantern had been recommended by a friend many months ago and I am so glad I finally had the chance to check it out myself. I went with a group of four, plus a stroller. It's a tough place to get a reservation - and now I know first hand why it's so popular - so we were lucky and scored a last minute early dinner (before 6:00pm) day-of on a Saturday. I hear the night life scene is energetic, so a little bummed I didn't get to experience it, but will go back. The sushi was fresh, the martinis were delicious, the appetizers were amazing, and the dessert was great! Five stars for the food and drinks all around! I am craving the lobster rangoons and a Red Dragon roll just writing this!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!RBNYCVIPDined on 5/2/2014At Copley and someone recommended this restaurant since it was close. It was amazing the first time and even better the second. Nothing negative to say! Only comment would be if you want an intimate quiet place - this is not for you!Special Features:
- The food was so sorandiDined on 4/26/2014Nice atmosphere and service was good. I appreciate that they didn't rush us out. Not impressed by the food, the sauces were heavy and not especially tasty.
- Lacking in Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/22/2014The food: good and the restaurant: attractive. Beyond that the experience was disappointing. First time dining at Red Lantern and our Hostess initially attempted to seat us between two parties in a half empty restaurant. I requested a different table. This was an issue for her. We were seated at a table other than the one I requested. The table that I requested was "reserved for another party". After 2 hours no one was seated at the table that I had requested. I spoke with the General Manager: Travis Newman and shared my concerns with him. He offered his business card and several excuses. I emailed Mr. Newman yesterday morning with the intention of giving Red Lantern a second shot. I did not receive a reply and cancelled the reservation.
- Nice restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2014I like the restaurant. I was impressed with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKellyVIPDined on 4/13/2014I love the food here but the service was a little slow on this occasion.Special Features:
- Chicken rice bowl!!! The foodKimmiecupcake70Dined on 4/11/2014Chicken rice bowl!!! The food is awesome!!!! Hot rock was good but it stuck to the rock really bad and was hard to eat but it tasted great!! Had a special chicken and green bean dish that I would order every time I go there and it went well with the rice. We went the week before And had the chicken lettuce wraps which were very good. Lettuce was crisp and the sauces they have are yummy and not too salty like some Asian places. Also had the tuna tempura. Some pieces tasted so wonderful and others were fishy which I hated. It is one of the best Asian places for food And the music is the bomb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- panasian fantasticalninjamanDined on 4/10/2014I've been to the Lantern a half dozen times now and I've never been disappointed...neither have my guests - love this place for drinks, food and fun...sexy fun!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!KellyVIPDined on 4/9/2014We all got different things on the menu and no one was disappointed. Big servings, excellent flavors, and fun drinks (flaming shots anyone?). Big open restaurant, fun lounge area by bar, and great bar seating by cooks (separate from regular bar). Make a reservation though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty, good foodMott07Dined on 4/2/2014White red lantern doesn't reinvent the wheel, the space is lovely and the food was good-pretty straightforward dining, but we did like everything we ordered. I wish they had a few more cheaper bottles of wine but what can you do. We liked the place, but did not love. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there again but if someone recommended it for a night out I wouldn't veto. Did go mid-week so might be louder on the weekend, but was fine for us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Job Kevin Long!!!!DaveVIPDined on 4/1/2014We have been to Red Lantern and enjoy the entire experience time and again. Chef Kevin Long keeps the kitchen humming along with terrific food which the servers love to sell - great execution on both ends. Recently we took advantage of Boston restaurant week at Red Lantern and were very impressed. YUM!!! Lemon grass wonton soup was to die for. We love the location and vibe and it is now our Asian go to restaurant. Specials are always well thought out- one stand out was the Spring Fried Rice with peas,chives and asparagus. EXCELLENT. Perfectly prepared food is made to look very casual here but don't be fooled - there is plenty of expertise behind every dish. Great music over an excellent sound system is just an added bonus.Special Features:
- Looks great, and that's about it.JackVIPDined on 4/1/2014We waited 20 minutes even with a reservation, and when they finally sat us it was at this makeshift coffee like table, maybe 2 and a half feet off the ground, we couldn't even put our feet under it. We squeezed on to a couch because the chairs they gave us were hard and flat, unlike all the nice cushioned chairs that surrounded us. Our waitress was unfriendly and inattentive. We all order sushi and she didn't bring soy sauce, even after we asked, (a runner finally brought it.) The only time she smiled was when we asked for the check. Easily my worst dining experience in Boston yet. The sushi was average, but the decor is great. Everyone else seemed to be having a great time, maybe we just caught them on a bad night.
- Best server everVinnyDined on 4/1/2014Anile(I think this is how you spell her name) the Brazilian server was amazing! Helpful with the menu and specials list and then the dessert menu. Everything she said was perfect and the pineapple bread pudding was the best bread pudding I have ever tried and I would not have ordered it had it not been for her. 10 out of 10 for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for Sunday night dinnerLongtimeOTVIPVIPDined on 3/30/2014Highly varied menu with many choices! Excellent specialty cocktails and wines by the glass.Special Features:
- Great spot for a fun night outLauralgcDined on 3/29/2014Big restaurant space with many large tables to accommodate big groups. Clearly a popular destination on Saturday night. Good Asian food and interesting drinks.Special Features:
- Fun night outCreoleseekerDined on 3/29/2014Was looking for a restaurant with my good friend and we had a blast. Great environment for a Saturday night out between two girlsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MoneyGiantPinkElephants69Dined on 3/28/2014Wicked Expensive! Dinner for 2.. Expect it to be around $100+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, outstanding decor,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/26/2014Great place, outstanding decor, delicious food! Everything was perfect! Will go back for sure!!Special Features:
- We went for all-you-can-eatemondDined on 3/18/2014We went for all-you-can-eat sushi on Tuesday. Food was excellent, as were the cocktails (Elisha(sp?) is an incredible bartender--got my gimlet right which is not the easiest of tasks.) Our one gripe was that our server took a long time to come over in between our "rounds" so we weren't able to get the food as fast as we would like. Great value for Red Lantern, as all the other dishes are extremely pricey.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2014more like a 3.5- our server was pretty inept, forgot an bottle of sake we ordered, and acted like he could have cared less. Food was decent. Some sushi rolls were pretty tasty, and others were a miss. decent appetizers, but maybe not worth the price. Overall a pretty good spot, and fun decor.Special Features:
- food ok / slow servicestiacsDined on 3/18/2014like the title says, we had 2 hrs for dinner (6-7:30pm, as we had an call with Asia starting at 8) figured it would be early enough not to cause an issue), and I stated that after they called to confirm my reservation. Couldn't find my open table reservation and took 15-20 mins to seat us despite numerous open tables (figure out the reservation stuff after we've been seated). Then, as I said, service was fine, just quite slow. Had to run ahead of the team to get back to the office to start the call. Def not the place to go for dinner on a weeknight if you're in a hurry. Though I thought 90 minutes and a heads up about would have sufficed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place - very coolxinaruthVIPDined on 3/17/2014The food was delightful, the decor is inspired and somehow intimate and yet inclusive of large groups. Service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekmellanaDined on 3/16/2014Our experience at Red Lantern was pretty mediocre. The food was very good, but it took way too long for the food to actually come out to us. We waited about an hour for the entrees to come out and the waitress who was serving us did not bother to check in with us.Special Features:
- Great experienceJamieDined on 3/14/2014We had a great experience at Red Lantern! Our server was wonderful. Tuna tartar and steak noodles were our favorites!
- Very disappointing food! DishesBarneygingerDined on 3/10/2014Very disappointing food! Dishes were oversauced and others flavorless. 2 dishes came cold and it almost felt like food was pre cooked and then reheated! Nothing seemed fresh!
- The food was basically tastelessOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/7/2014The food was basically tasteless and overpriced. Sorry to day I wouldn't go back.
- Good Food, Lacking Customer ServiceCN8993Dined on 3/7/2014The pro's: We had a reservation and were seated immediately, the waitress was friendly and very helpful for the first half of the meal. They have a good selection, creative drinks, and a gluten-free menu. The con's: The waitress disappeared as soon as our food arrived (she may have been overextended), and then an arrogant and clearly annoyed manager stopped by to ask if we wanted to see a dessert menu, acting as if the task of interacting with us was beneath him. There was no sincerity, not even a smile, and then he disappeared and we were left waiting for our check for nearly 20 minutes.Special Features:
- Fabulous!JoyeuxNoelDined on 3/1/2014Everything abut the Red Lantern was fabulous ... from the ease of making a reservation at Open Table to receiving our check in a timely manner at the end of our evening. Okay ... so the music seems loud. But miraculously we were able to carry on a conversation without the need to shout. Food ... Fabulous! Drinks ... Fabulous! Service from seating to leaving ... Fabulous! We will definitely dine at the Red Lantern again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A definite go to!KL24VIPDined on 3/1/2014As always our visit to Red Lantern was phenomenal ! Our server was personable and attentive even on a busy Saturday night. Food was outstanding. Highly suggest any noodle dish, you won't be disappointed and will have plenty to take home or share. Only complaint is always the size of the cocktails for the price, but it's Boston.Special Features:
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/25/2014Nice bar. Some standout dishes. Duck Buns are so good, I will be going back for them. The boneless spareribs were delicious as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!LoriDined on 2/22/2014Service and food were really good!! If you're coming here to dine on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday I'd definitely recommend reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.