1394 Chain Bridge Rd
McLean, VA 22101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrovivant.com/
- Phone: 703-356-1700
- Hours of Operation:
Bistro Vivant is open for Lunch, Dinner and Weekend Brunch!
Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Friday and Saturday 4:00pm - 10:30pm;
Sunday 4:00pm - 9:30pm
HAPPY HOUR: EVERYDAY 4:00pm - 6:30pm
(available at the bar only)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact our General Manager, Shannon Paretzky, for more information.
- Special Events: Please contact our General Manager, Shannon Paretzky, for more information.
A word from Bistro Vivant
A contemporary French Bistro in the heart of McLean. We are open ALL DAY, EVERY DAY... so join us for a late Lunch, early Dinner or any Holiday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Vivant reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)fit for foodies (32)great for lunch (20)notable wine list (17)special occasion (13)great for outdoor dining (11)romantic (5)good for groups (4)great for brunch (4)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Food and service were very,mikeVIPDined on 9/3/2012Food and service were very, very good. In my opinion, a recent food critic's review was completely wrong! We'll definitely go back for another wonderful meal.
- One of our favorites.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/1/2012First rate ... wonderful food, great ingredients, wonderful service. We love it.Special Features:
- Great addition to McLeanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2012Had a terrific dinner Friday evening. We dined early so got a reservation the day before. By the time we left at 7:30, the place was packed and the hostess was offering seats at the bar. The mussels were plump and prepared in a yummy, creamy sauce that needed extra bread for dipping. The pork chop was juicy and moist (hard to do) and served with a mustard sauce. I don't care for scallops but the consensus was that they were amazing--plump and seared and sauced perfectly. The bouillabaisse was fine but overshadowed but the other food. The veal special was a hit--the attentive waiter had it sliced extra thin to accommodate one of our elderly diners. By the way,order the frites! The are traditional ones, so good you'll happily blow your diet.Special Features:
- escargot in lemon???OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/19/2012aug 19 sunday. we ordered escargot, expecting snails w/garlic and sauce. an unpleasant surprise...escargot baked in lemon. what is french about that????? service was terrible at 530p. maybe the entire staff hadnt come yet. well......dont open until 6p if you there isnt a full complement of staff!!! lamb was great, desserts outstanding, steak yummy. needs improvement on the first items.Special Features:
- Was there for dinner for theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2012Was there for dinner for the first time. Food was great!! Wine list was nice, especially because the restaurant offers the same bottle/by the glass wines in a 1/2 carafe and full carafe. While the outside looks onto a parking lot, there is little outdoor dining available in McLean and they have enclosed the area and gave it a "bistro" feel. Great addition to the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Servers had no personality--verynonnaVIPDined on 8/13/2012Servers had no personality--very flat. No welcome, just ready to take order very soon after sitting down, no expression.
- not as good as the first timebikerbob54VIPDined on 8/3/2012Some of the food here is quite good although we had the special bouillabaisse this time which had very little flavor. It was predominantly filled with a mediocre white fish. Service was particularly poor as well.
- 1910 redux..no personality or charmReynoldsDined on 8/1/2012Had the Hanger Steak and Fries...excellent! Wonderful seasoning!! The room is terrible. Like its predecessor, it is like eating in a old cafeteria. Just way too sterile and cold. Our wait person was also cold as a fish...no personality at all. Service was slow because they were busy...which is good.Special Features:
- Not enough tables allocatedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/1/2012Not enough tables allocated for reservations through Open aTable.Special Features:
- Attentive waiter and veryfoodiehooDined on 7/29/2012Attentive waiter and very good food made this a great choice for a Sunday night dinner. Most of our food choices were excellent - the seafood risotto was a bit of a miss (bland). But otherwise we loved our meal. One of our party was celebrating a birthday and they brought us each a glass of champagne - a very nice touch!Special Features:
- Food was average and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/2012Food was average and service was indifferent. So loud you can't hear your table companions.
- Good food--good time.CarolleemVIPDined on 7/28/2012This was our first time here and it will certainly not be our last. The restaurant is bright and airy and not too big. The staff is friendly and accommodating. And the food is delicious without being overpriced. The wine selection was also good and not too pricy. We had the house wine and liked it very much. we look forward to another meal there.Special Features:
- We've been several times now,outnaboutVIPDined on 7/28/2012We've been several times now, and your service seems to depend on who you get. The young gal we've gotten in the past is attentive and knowledgeable; the guy we had last weekend was never around, didn't really know what was going on at every table, and required chasing. Food this time was very different than last time. Heirloom salad was great, but the stew was inedible. Was told "we have a lot of new people come through the kitchen, I guess the guy tonight isn't as good at that as the last time you were here". Huh? There is tremendous potential here, but they need to get the kinks out. More consistency and higher standards in the kitchen, and either more waitstaff, or ones that are more aware of their surroundings and more attenti
- Great potential, but foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/27/2012Great potential, but food suffers from far to much salt!!!!!! The overall experience should have been 5 star however the food suffered from seasoning.Special Features:
- Slow kitchen - ran out ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2012Slow kitchen - ran out of many items (even though we were eating at 7:30) and server came back long after the order was made to tell us they were out of mussels, out of a fish special and "not enough bread was ordered", so there was none to be had. The waitress was pleasant and the wine list good. The beet salad was above average but overall there were too many problems with the management of the restaurant to recommend it.
- Great meal, second time there!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/25/2012Great meal, second time there! Portions can be large, but quality of the food is very good and very French. Quite a find for Northern Virginia where so many restaurants come and go. Hope this one lasts!Special Features:
- Nice spot but still findingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/23/2012Nice spot but still finding it's way. My skate wing was over fried, had no sauce and the accompanying vege of tomatoes and fennel was unremarkable. The salads were nice as were the mussels and zuccini blossoms. Wine selection nice but seemed expensive. I mentioned a birthday to the maitre di but nothing was forthcoming, we left with no acknowledgment. Service.a little slow but competent except they kept trying to clear plates that were unfinished and while others were still eating.Special Features:
- Great addition to McLean restaurantGrigioVIPDined on 7/21/2012Great addition to McLean restaurants. Wonderful vichyssoise, terrific mussels, interesting wines by the glass. We definitely will be back, again and again.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. NiceDukelVIPDined on 7/21/2012Food was excellent. Nice option in McLean. A tad noisy inside due to hard floors. Could use a little more of a French bistro feel through decorating.Special Features:
- My wife and I went for myOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2012My wife and I went for my birthday. We had been there before and had enjoyed it very much. Again, it was a great experience for both the food and service. I had the venison special which was excellent and my wife had the sea trout. We had a wonderful Pinot Noir which went perfectly with both the fish and the meat. Bistro Vivant is a true French Bistro with all the wonderful foods that encompasses plus many others that would satisfy the palate of the more traditional diner. It is a great addition for McLean and we will be going back again with friends.Special Features:
- Best over all in all catagories.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2012Best over all in all catagories. Delisious foods and loved the Colonel dessert. UM UM GOODSpecial Features:
- Great Neighborhood GemOno2ReviewVIPDined on 7/14/2012Great 'Neighborhood Gem'- a true Bistro experience - wonderful food. Thank you!Special Features:
- My husband I went for lunchDebraVIPDined on 7/13/2012My husband I went for lunch an both had the sea bass, which was pan fried. Very good! A limited lunch menu, but never-the-less, very nice experience. We plan on returning for dinner one evening.Special Features:
- Merveilleuse Nouvel EndroitOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/8/2012First visit, and very favorably impressed. Service was a bit slow, but then it's modeled after a French Bistro, so by that standard it's about right. Their offerings are very, very much like a typical small bistro, with decent carafe wines, bistro dishes and appetizers (the olives were especially good and brought back memories of France). A small but clear deference to American dining was serving the salad before the entree rather than after, but I simply put mine aside until I was ready for it. Only non-positive note was the a desert of poached peaches, which were too sweet and had a stringy texture. We will absolutely be back, and look forward to it!Special Features:
- Second time at this greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/7/2012Second time at this great new McLean resturant and it keeps getting better. Suggest strating with the mussels and advancing to the strip stake, sirloin, or the sea bass.Special Features:
- Brand new restaurant in anThePunditVIPDined on 7/4/2012Brand new restaurant in an area that needs all the help it can get. Interesting menu, we loved the mussels as well as the blanquette de veau. Everyone is trying to make your visit a pleasurable experience!Special Features:
- We have been residents ofOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/3/2012We have been residents of McLean, Va. since 1981. The lack of good restaurants in this town has been a consistent disappointment. So we were delighted to have enjoyed a very excellent meal at Bistro Vivant on July 4th. Earlier in the week my friend and I had an equally stellar lunch. I hope McLean supports this new neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- What a great surprise! HadOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/29/2012What a great surprise! Had a wonderful meal here - it's a true bistro scene - chalk board menu, open, loud, but with delicious food and a nice wine list that allows you to get a large selection of wines by the glass, half-carafe, full carafe, or bottle. Food, particularly the veal flank steak special, was very nicely prepared and portions were extremely generous. Nice service as well - you'd never know it was a new restaurant. We look forward to returning soon!Special Features:
- Would recommend this placegood4uVIPDined on 6/24/2012Would recommend this place if you are not a "foodie." It is certainly OK - nothing bad - but not very good. There were a few things on the menu that they did not have (and I wanted). They didn't run out - they just never had them. We had great service, perhaps because there were only three tables being used.
- Having read all the positiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2012Having read all the positive reviews here, we decided to try Bistro Vivant. To our greatest disappointment, the food was simply awful - my fish entree was almost inedible with a heavy sauce to mask lack of flavor and my husband's beef entree was overcooked. Appetizers were slighly better than entrees, but mediocre at best.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/11/2012Good food but more staff training would be helpful. Hostess needs to be a little more friendly and outgoing. Twice the food delivered to our table wasn't ours...once for appetizers and once for entree. It seemed strange that for a restaurant only open for three weeks the owner, who was there, didn't come over to greet us or to see how we enjoyed our first visit. We would probably go back because we like to support our local restaurants in McLean. One of the problems with the previous restaurant in that location was the noise level, but this hasn't been corrected. With only a few tables occupied, it was still very noisy.
- Somewhat limited menu (theyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2012Somewhat limited menu (they have just added lunch), but the food was very good overall and was attractively presented; service was attentive but not "hovering." Would definitely return.Special Features:
- The food was fine - not worthOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/8/2012The food was fine - not worth going out of your way for, but good enough if you live nearby. However, the service and whole operation needs a lot of tightening up. If it doesn't get more professional, the restaurant will not last. (1) The server was friendly, well intentioned, but clearly not well trained: His answer to what was in the cheese plate was simply "several cheeses, from goat to sheep" - nothing specific. (2) The girl delivering dishes was not well instructed on which table or which diner received which dish - twice. (3) It took so long to deliver our drinks (wine & rum & Coke, nothing fancy) that we had to ask where our drinks were. Etc.
- Wonderful flavors--our LoupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2012Wonderful flavors--our Loup de mer, cocquilles St Jacques, pate de campagne, lobster ravioli were all lovely. . . Hopefully delays in service will get worked out as this new venue becomes more practiced, but that was our only major complaint. . . We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- A little loud, but reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012A little loud, but really wonderful food and great service.Special Features:
- Such good choices on the menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2012Such good choices on the menu and hard to choose from. So you want to just keep on going back to try more.Special Features:
- We had an early dinner atOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/30/2012We had an early dinner at this brand new restaurant, and there were few other diners so it was very quiet. The server seemed new to the job, but he was friendly, helpful, and accommodating. He had to get answers from the kitchen about some items on the menu. We were disappointed that they were out of Tanqueray gin and classic martinis cost $12.50. The restaurant uses local produce and one meal consisted of hot fresh pea soup and an appetizer-size plate of scallops. The other was a regular entree of sea bass. The food was well prepared and delicious. They offer daily specials on a chalk board.
- New French Restaurant in McLeanAriesVIPDined on 5/28/2012Great French restaurant in McLean. Went for lunch and we enjoyed the Hanger Steak Frites and sea bass. Attentive and friendly service. Looking forward to trying dinner.
- An auspicious beginning ...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/26/2012For a new restaurant, apparently open for about a month, the food was first rate: superior pate and superior sauces, the latter, a hallmark of a first-rate French kitchen. If the restaurant can build on this auspicious start, McLean will be fortunate.Special Features:
- Excellent bistro food - freshOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/26/2012Excellent bistro food - fresh and authentic - well-priced also.Special Features: