1394 Chain Bridge Rd
McLean, VA 22101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrovivant.com/
- Phone: 703-356-1700
- Hours of Operation:
Bistro Vivant is open for Lunch, Dinner and Weekend Brunch!
Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Friday and Saturday 4:00pm - 10:30pm;
Sunday 4:00pm - 9:30pm
HAPPY HOUR: EVERYDAY 4:00pm - 6:30pm
(available at the bar only)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact our General Manager, Shannon Paretzky, for more information.
- Special Events: Please contact our General Manager, Shannon Paretzky, for more information.
A word from Bistro Vivant
A contemporary French Bistro in the heart of McLean. We are open ALL DAY, EVERY DAY... so join us for a late Lunch, early Dinner or any Holiday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Vivant reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)fit for foodies (31)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (16)special occasion (12)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (5)good for groups (4)great for brunch (4)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Hanger Steak DeliversBClarkeVaDined on 10/19/2013Wife and I have been several times for lunch and dinner and I've ordered the hanger steak and fries each time and it consistently delivers. My wife has had daily specials and they have usually been quite good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were in the mood for somePeachDined on 10/18/2013We were in the mood for some French food and we were pleasantly surprised by Bistro Vivant. Nice selection, good flavours, modern cuisine. Very pleased. Creates the atmosphere of a small bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine addition to McLeanLocalVIPDined on 10/13/2013Dinner was very good. Service was great. We will definitely return. All ingredients were fresh. Dishes were original, and very attractively presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Sunday BrunchTexasDinerVIPDined on 10/6/2013After church, my husband and I were looking for a nice, quiet place to have brunch with good food. Bistro Vivant is just wonderful. The service is outstanding, absolutely outstanding. So nice and so helpful. The food was outstanding. We both had omelets, different ones. Delicious. Great, HOT coffee. Love my coffee hot.Special Features:
- I'm a very finicky eater (pescatariRegularVIPDined on 10/3/2013I'm a very finicky eater (pescatarian), like a good wine list, atmosphere is important, and customer service is the icing on the cake... If any of these relate to you, this is your place! Its French.. but offer daily specials, nice variety on menu, and kitchen is always accommodating. Bistro Vivant is my neighborhood place seeing popular figures there often. I frequent at least once a week. Love the owner and staff - genuinely friendly! You can enjoy outdoor dining, sitting at the vibrant bar, or dining with others in restaurant making you feel like you're sitting in a bistro in Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will definately returnMikeandLoVIPDined on 10/2/2013This was our first visit and we stopped by for lunch. The hanger steak was perfectly prepared and tasty. We can't wait to come back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The greeting was warm andmommaVIPDined on 9/21/2013The greeting was warm and friendly, and our server was so helpful, enthusiastic, and professional. The cooking techniques were good, but I must have a problem with their recipes. While prepared properly, much of the food just didn't taste good. Sorry
- Great restaurant but...BigPopVIPDined on 9/1/2013Granted, the HVAC system was on the fritz on Sunday, but they didn't tell us until I asked. It was HOT. In the winter it's way too cold as the doors on each end allow for all heat to leave everytime they open and they don't turn the heat up to compensate. I guess we'll have to confine our visits to Spring and Fall, which is a pity as the food here is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous soups and saladsGardenersVIPDined on 8/20/2013We had a luscious tomato salad, a frothy creamy beet soup, a cold tomato soup, and duck fat fries- all excellent! My lamb Provençal was good over a creamy risotto .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CostOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/10/2013More expensive than expected from the star rating; would have chosen a different restaurant if had realized how expensive this restaurant would be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu somewhat limited thoughFoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2013Menu somewhat limited though not bad. Food good although portions disappointingly small. E.g. the "1 1/2 lb lobster special was little bigger than a large shrimp. Wine list adequate, not distinguished, Real problem was the perfunctory service. We had to wait while servers could be seen and heard socializing at the bar, descriptions of dishes not totally accurate. Servers pleasant enough and service improved as we became more insistent. It seemed that there was no one "running the show". And the restaurant was not particularly crowded. We will go back because of location and good food, but they need to pay more attention to the guests in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We recently made our fourthDuckSoup11VIPDined on 7/30/2013We recently made our fourth or fifth visit to Bistro Vivant - the food is always excellent and interesting. On this occasion we went especially to try the Tuesday special - rabbit. Rabbit stew was tasty and tender; the first-course offering of a rabbit liver pate and rabbit sausage also delicious. As a first course, we usually can't resist the grilled octopus. Service is very accommodating. The wine list is varied both by type and price; overall we'd prefer to see somewhat lower prices, but the restaurant does offer half-price deals on the slower days earlier in the week. Typically at BV we see more interesting-sounding dishes than we can sample in one visit. This time was no exception so we will be returning.Special Features:
- Consistently terrific!TallTalesVIPDined on 7/25/2013We live in the McLean area, and dine here once or twice a month. The menu is constantly changed and the offerings have a fresh flair with a French twist. Bistro Vivant is sitting in a little strip mall off Old Chain Bridge Road and looks deceptively "diner-ish" from the street. The increasingly busy dining room suggests people are catching on. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchCulinarianDined on 7/20/2013We had a great lunch at Bistro Vivant and will certainly return for dinner soon. I hear the bar is a lot of fun. It was quiet in the restaurant for lunch Saturday, but it is summer after all. Food was great! Nice to have another quality restaurant in McLean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic French bistroNoVaFoodieVIPDined on 7/17/2013Loved the authentic menu, extensive wine list, friendly and helpful service. Could have sworn I was in Paris not McLean Virginia. The only difference--in a good way--between bistro vivant and a champs élysées lunch spot is that American chairs are WAY more comfy!! Highly recommend the cochon de lait (suckling pig) and the apricot tart. Will definitely be going back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great McLean restodcdinerVIPDined on 7/14/2013The food here is surprisingly excellent (lamb shank with polenta was one of the best dishes in recent memory). The service, though, is consistently mediocre--slow and disorganized. Similar problems befell this restaurant's predecessor, McLean 1910, which closed quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff is very pleasant,donmakDined on 7/13/2013The staff is very pleasant, the service is responsive and helpful and the food is very good. All in all, a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Something changed at Bistro VivantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2013We have dined at Bistro Vivant at least six times in the past and always enjoyed the experience. Our visit on Saturday left all four of us disappointed in the food ( 2 Bouillabaisse, Sole, and steak au poive) which were overcooked and portioned incorrectly. Our waiter was energetic and tried to accommodate our requests but the kitchen did not help him. Bread used to be a highlight, but that was dried out. The chocolate mousse dessert was described to be in a phyllo wrap, there was a hard scone type cookie laid on top of the mousse. When we provided negative feedback on the food there were no apologies. I have recommended Bistro Vivant to many. I will not be doing so from here on out.
- Great - but needs to up its serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/10/2013Really, really a big fan of bistro vivant. Great food and wine list. A little on the pricey side. The one draw back is the service feels immature and unseasoned relative to the overall restaurant value and niche. Service is too slow and poorly timed. Service was amateurish relative to everything else in restaurant (fork and knives got reversed, felt like had to track down the waiter, ask for bread, didn't have knives for butter, etc.).Special Features:
- Wonderful FoodCarolVIPDined on 7/7/2013Bistro Vivant is a great new addition to the McLean neighborhood. The food is exciting, tastes great and is presented beautifully. Service is attentive and helpful. Don't miss the grilled octopus - it is a standout! I've been twice in recent weeks and am planning to return as often as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good bistro menu: hanger steakOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2013good bistro menu: hanger steak cooked to specifications, excellent frites, one of us had the roulade of lamb which was a big hit. Appetizers/salads a little pricey but good. It's on the end of a strip shopping center in downtown McLean so ambience is lacking (the view is of a parking lot). Service friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our fourth or fifthDuckSoup11VIPDined on 7/1/2013This was our fourth or fifth visit to Bistro Vivant for either lunch or dinner. Its location in a strip mall belies what's inside - an ambitious and masterful kitchen and chef, turning out really excellent bistro fare. On this occasion we had a first-rate hanger steak, a tender and delicious lamb shank, and the grilled octopus first course, all of which were perfect. There is a long and varied wine list to match. Service, helpful and professional.Special Features:
- Good food but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/1/2013We greatly enjoyed the food at Cafe Vivant. But I thought $100 was pretty pricey for lunch. Of course, we did have 3 courses (and not from the "special" menu). Salad with goat cheese, pea soup, grilled octopus on chickpea puree, shaved roast beef "hamburger," glass of wine, a beer, and dessert (strawberry-rhubarb tart and caffe affogato) were all delicious.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2013The food was heavily salted and it's unclear what "type" of restaurant Bistro Vivant is striving to be. We had the bouillabase and the scallops with escargot as entrees. Both were OK, but not something we would order again. It's unclear if we will return.Special Features:
- DisappointingCraigVIPDined on 6/15/2013Compared to the many good and even great places to dine in DC Vivant hardly measures up. I was a little suspicious when there were lots of empty tables when I arrived. The service was lack luster. I ordered one of the specials, a steak au puave with fritte. I ordered it medium rare. It arrived medium well. I sent it back and the next one arrived rare. I kept it as I didn't want to spend the whole night there while the chef played guess whether this meat is right. If I lived up the street we might come back from time to time. I imagine if one knew what to order the place might not be bad. But given we come from out of town, looking for something nice, we probaby won't be back.
- Outstanding lunch! I will be back!luvDCdiningVIPDined on 6/5/2013I love the fact that this restaurant is close to home and I always get amazing food... every time. This was my first lunch experience at Bistro Vivant, and I was so happy afterwards, I can't wait to return. They offered a Prix Fix menu for lunch with 2 or 3 courses. I chose the three course meal (Roasted Beet salad, Duck Confit Salade, and Chocolate Mousse). The food was outstanding -- fresh, simple, with amazing flavor combinations -- and the portions were large, especially for lunch. We stayed for a while and were not rushed. The only down side is that it was a beautiful day and there is outside seating, but it's on the parking lot. So we ate inside; after we tasted the food, this seemed like no concession at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday evening's meal fordiningoutVIPDined on 6/1/2013Saturday evening's meal for four of us showed a noticeable and surprising dip in quality. Bistro Vivant had been going strong, but the food was not nearly as good as the four or five previous times we have eaten there and something was clearly going wrong in the kitchen, because the service was extremely slow. Hopefully this was just one off night, but listening to the complaints of the diners around us, it was clear that many patrons were disappointed.
- Creative BistroLizSVIPDined on 5/28/2013Nicely done! Creative food. Good use of unusual vegetables including purple potatoes and tri- colored cauliflower. Interesting lavender creme brûlée. Prices are to be expected in McLeanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLeftHungryVIPDined on 5/27/2013Staff seem well meaning but lack focus. There are several basics to waiting tables. Bring the bread without having to be asked, check if people want their drinks refilled and get on the kitchen about all parties food coming out at same time. Every NOVA restaurant, including this one, fails these basic requirements and for no good reason. Seasoning is key and again pretty basic. This restaurant places no salt on the table. Fine, then salt in cooking. The food is bland to the point where you might as well have boiled everything. This is a strange outcome at any restaurant, but especially here where the frites are the star and salted upon the end of cooking. Too bad and unnecessary blunders that can be corrected. Try tasting your own food.
- Delicieux!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2013Excellent mussels and frites! Try the squash blossom appetizer. In a strip mall, but a great find for lunch or dinner. Lovely service, too. Nice wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and deliciousUMichFanVIPDined on 5/24/2013This was my second dinner at Bistro Vivant. Both times I have had specials of the day, and found them to be truly special. On Mother's Day I had lamb shanks in pesto sauce, and on Escargot Day I had escargots and mussels in a garlic sauce with gnocci. I am not a food critic so can't describe how wonderful they were, but they were 5 star. The bread, desserts, and wine by the glass were also excellent. My companions were equally happy with their choices. The service is very friendly; they are still ironing out a few kinks. There were a couple of long waits - between the appetizer and main course and then between dessert and the bill - and they forgot to bring us all plates for bread. But it did not detract from the experience.Special Features:
- simply fantasticsecretDined on 5/19/2013I enjoyed a lunch here on a Sunday with a friend and the food was remarkable, the menu is well designed and written, the service is attentive and well done, the grilled octopus apatizer is amazing! And the hanger steak with the duck fat fries is wonderful, a must visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2013This is a lovely little restaurant in a strip mall. Not cheap but not terribly over priced. Have been dining there a number of times. Every meal was quite delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/14/2013I hadn't been there before and didn't know what to expect. The food was good, the atmosphere pleasant, service attentive without being a distraction to enjoying lunch with a friend. I would go back again and would recommend it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal...when we got it!HomesickTexanDined on 5/12/2013Dined on the evening of Mother's Day which likely caused some of the kitchen and server slow down. The food was excellent, the service was very nice. We will definitely go back for the food!Special Features:
- A Diamond In The RoughPeteDined on 5/10/2013Bistro Vivant is simply superb...the seafood dishes are fresh, creative, well prepared and taste excellent. The salads and salad extras are unique to the Norther Virginia restaurant scene...and complement perfectly any lunch or dinner entree. The daily specials rely on local and seasonal produce, and each is prepared with a flair not often found in restaurants today. The owner strolls through the dining area to ensure that all is well, and the wait staff is attentive, but never interrupts the table conversation. The menu is straightforward without the clutter of many menus that require a ring binder. The wines are mostly French and are from smaller vintners...a needed break from the "storied wine lists" many restauranteurs promote.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinner!MCanEatDined on 5/7/2013The menu includes something for everyone, and everything was delicious. My two dinner companions had the hanger steak and the trout, and I had the duck confit. Each of us agreed that our meal was properly prepared to our specifications. Unfortunately, my preferred escargo appetizer was not available, but my second choice of oysters was not disappointing; they were firm, juicy, and briney with a touch of caviar. Our friendly server was knowlegable and attentive without hovering. And the half price bottle of wine was worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a good addition tojamesDined on 5/4/2013This is a good addition to the restaurant options in McLean. The food was fine but not spectacular. But I would go back.
- An Exceptional Experience in McLeanCraigVIPDined on 4/30/2013The good people at Bistro Vivant have transformed a location that has seen restaurants come and go. Do NOT drive by thinking you can pass up this new entrant into the McLean dining scene. Bistro Vivant has find food, a wonderful selection of French wines and a total commitment to giving us an exceptional experience. Give them your email and enjoy their special evenings. The food and wine pairings share some of the best of French cuisine and wine. This is a new place to try and return to over and over again!Special Features:
- Post- Concert DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/28/2013Other than Evans Farm, which has been long gone for many years, I had not eaten at a restaurant in McLean until this past Sunday. Our group of three We were very pleased wwith Bistro Vivant. It was just perfect for a post-concert (as a choral singer, I was the only one in the restaurant wearing a tuxedo). Our waitor was very patient while the three of us had difficulty trying to choose from a wonderful menu. The food was superb. We will return soon (although I won't be wearing a tuxedo the next time.Special Features: