The Cottage Chestnut Hill
47 Boylston Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Cottage Chestnut Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cottagechestnuthill.com/
- Phone: 6179165413
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Kiley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Cottage Chestnut Hill
The Cottage Chestnut Hill has it’s origin in two different lifestyles. John grew up surfing the beaches of Southern California. Laura grew up in Wellesley and is the third generation in her family to have a business in town. Our decor, service and food reflect the casualness and familiarity of So Calif and the sophistication and warmth of New England. Please take a moment to say hello on your next visit. Welcome to the Cottage! — John + LauraContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Cottage Chestnut Hill - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
The Cottage Chestnut Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (74)neighborhood gem (67)great for brunch (55)good for groups (51)kid-friendly (35)fit for foodies (32)special occasion (28)great for outdoor dining (17)romantic (11)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2014We have been to the Cottage a few times. Typically we enjoy the ambience. Frankly, the food is never great -- kind of a solid B. This time we met friends for Sunday brunch to celebrate my wife's birthday. Our waiter was excellent. Very accomodating and helpful with suggestions. The food took forever to come out. I think there was a wedding party in the private side room which perhaps overwhelmed the kitchen staff. We will come back for the convenience, location, and the "buzz". However, we will expect only average food.
- RSquareVIPDined on 4/26/2014Too expensive for the quality level. Food is a little bland.Special Features:
- DisappointingLorraineDined on 4/26/2014This was a very disappointing dining experience. Our table was too small for our party of 4, the food was mediocre and the service indifferent and not very attentive. The dining room lacks ambience. It is unlikely I will return, particularly given the number of other dining options now available in the area.
- Great timeRowebirdDined on 4/26/2014It was my first time being at the cottage but I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants an overall nice night. The wait staff was good food was delicious and the feel of the restaurant was warm. The noise level was a bit loud but easy to get past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just MehFoodaholicVIPDined on 4/26/2014The turkey burger is my go-to dish here because many other dishes are just ok (and hardly worth the price). It was good on this visit (the cranberry mayo is really nice but for some reason they baked it on this time with the cheese..a little weird) but the presentation stunk. Why do they need to cram the burger onto a small plate? Because its an inexpensive dish? Because it's noticeably on the small side? Because they chintz on the fries? Maybe all of the above. This is a place I go to for convenience only and with all the new options in CH I am going less and less.Special Features:
- Fun in a warm, sunny spot!SudidoDined on 4/24/2014Good food, great service, lovely decor and a friendly, upbeat environment overall. Classy, but not stuffy. Great and very accessible menu with lots of appealing choices. Staff was attentive and right on top of it. Wld go again in a heartbeat and will happily refer friends - in fact, i already have! 😍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Okay.boathouseVIPDined on 4/23/2014There is nothing memorable about The Cottage. Salad was okay -- about what you'd expect from Panera at three times the price. Lobster Roll ws okay. Pieces of lobster are minced -- not what you'd find in Kennebunkport. Candidly, it is over-rated.
- Great food, definitely will be backSilentDogoodVIPDined on 4/19/2014Really enjoyed this place... It's hard to find fried eggplant strips in Boston, and they did a pretty good job with them. Steak Frites were good, the homemade BBQ sauce was phenomenal.Special Features:
- jdempsDined on 4/19/2014Saturday evening dinner was like running a road race. The servers were so rushed in the entire dining room. It made for a chaotic scene. Four adults in our party, one dinner totally forgotten and a chicken dinner that served raw chicken so some of us ate our dinner while the others waited and watched. On another occasion we had previously dined in the bar late afternoon and it was delightful so we came back....not sure we will return to the Cottage. So many other great restaurants that provided a welcoming atmosphere with servers who are happy to have you as their customers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014We have been to the cottage several times and the service was always good. However each time we go we find the food less appealing and the menu choices difficult. This last visit, my food was cold and I sent it back and it was still cold. I ended up taking it home to heat up for another meal. Your coffee was great, nice and hot and fresh and your rib apptizer was also a very nice presentation.Special Features:
- Not as reliably good as in the pastWauzoVIPDined on 4/18/2014I've enjoyed numerous great meals at the Cottage. Of late, wrong orders appear, the food is ok, but not great. In the past the food was consistently great. Alas, no longer.
- Chelsea is the best!PIPERVIPDined on 4/17/2014Love going to eat at the Cottage when Chelsea working the bar!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same name, same experience.NeighborDined on 4/12/2014I had never been to the Cottage restaurant in Chestnut Hill, before this weekend. I have been to The Cottage in Wellesley, several times. My experience was exactly the same. Great food, great service, fun night out with friends. We arrived on time for our reservation, and we were seated right away. Our waiter (Andrew) picked up that we all had a sense of humor, and played along with us. He was great. The restaurant in Wellesley seemed a little noisier, due to the high ceilings, so we will definitely go back to Chestnut Hill.Special Features:
- Good food, good service; aOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2014Good food, good service; a reasonable value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchJessyeDined on 4/6/2014The brunch was really great. All the egg choices were outstanding. I wish they had brunch on Saturday too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice get togetherTrapperVIPDined on 4/5/2014We met friends whom we hadn't seen for a while. The service was well paced so we could catch up leisurely and were not rushed at all when we lingered over desert. The food was very well prepared.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two Good CottagesFjk3Dined on 4/5/2014We have enjoyed several nice meals at the Cottage in Wellesley so we thought we'd give their newer Chestnut Hill location a try on Saturday night. We were not disappointed. Both restaurants offer solid food in a fresh, fun atmosphere with good service. The young woman running the bar Saturday evening was a particular high point. She made our 15 minutes waiting for our entire party to arrive a real pleasure.Special Features:
- loved the cocktail offerings-OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014loved the cocktail offerings- great lobster cobb salad- good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect family dinnerBassriverfoodieDined on 4/1/2014Dining here is always consistently good. Fresh food, good service. Nice place for a family dinner, not too pricey but not pub food, either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm spot for a birthdayEndless88SummerDined on 3/30/2014We celebrated a good friend's birthday on a rainy, cold early Spring evening. The waiter was attentive without being smothering, the food was delicious, esp. liked the option of a small or big salad and the yummy, gooey chocolate mousse cake. Loved the warm 'Cape Cod' like ambience with water and boat scene oil paintings throughout. the roaring fire in the fireplace added to the cozy feeling. Would certainly recommend to anyone who wants good food, at a relatively good price, and a warm 'cottage'-like atmosphere.Special Features:
- brunchDooneDined on 3/30/2014My friend and I had Sunday Brunch. We each had daily specials. Mine was a lobster eggs benedict. The eggs were perfectly poached; the lobsters was done to the right level of doneness. Put them together and it was somewhat bland. Homefries were a little over done but not greasy. the service was really excellent. the ambiance was very pleasant and suitable for our intentions: two old friends catching up over a meal. So while the food was nothing to write home about, it was acceptable and we had a lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and lookStevesmith53Dined on 3/29/2014Second time back to this restaurant, both times great food, service and fun atmosphere Parking has not been an issueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True gritsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014I had a short rib and grits dinner that was among the most tender and flavorful found anywhere in the country ( yes, including celebrity chef locations). Delicious!Special Features:
- "Classic" Burger? Yes, but no more.BurgerHunterDined on 3/29/2014We came for the burger due to its place on Boston Globe's list of the 25 best. With Shake Shack next door, it's tough to justify spending twice as much here. Simply put, the burger is well executed, but very plain, and it takes a lot more for a burger with only the standard toppings to stand out in the flavor category. The eggplant fries were a tasty curiosity, though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchpammyDined on 3/23/2014The food was tasty but the ambiance was a little loud. Service was great .I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKBostalianDined on 3/22/2014The food was just OK. I asked for no salt on my food and it was so salty that I had a headache that night. Also my husband's fish was undercooked. It was cooked on top and raw on the bottom so he sent it back. When they brought it back to him they said" here is it better to your liking". Implying that the fish was cooked fine and my husband just wanted it cooked more. However it was inedible before he sent it back. Also a little pricy for what you get. Want to mention that the waitress was great throughout.
- Birthday dinnerMikeDined on 3/22/2014We like to eat at Cottage. We chose the Newton locale b/c our daughter goes to school nearby. The food was good and we enjoyed ourselves. However, I still cannot get over the fact that for 4 people the price to serve a small birthday cake cost more than the cake costs. I understand that by bringing a cake takes away from revenue but $12 to serves 4 slices? Regardless, we had a very nice time!Special Features:
- GreatJvd10001Dined on 3/22/2014Food was awesome! We got the Calamari appetizer and the Sweet Potato Crusted Cod! Also the white peach sangria was tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing from past diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/21/2014Food was fair. We were seated near the entry and front desk. Very noisy, and we kept hearing the phones ringing, which were not promptly answer, during the entire meal We chose The Cottage to celebrate my wife's birthday, based on previous positive visits. We told them it was my wife's birthday when reserved, and again when we arrived. The waitress acknowledged this when she came over - and then it became forgotten and ignored. The waitress, Chelsea, also forgot the cheese on a cheeseburger. And Chelsea never cleaned the table between courses nor after dinner. There must have been a water shortage in Newton that night, because the water glasses were never refilled, We loved this restaurant in the past, but can not recommend this restaurant.
- A group of 4 old friends gatheredMimiDined on 3/21/2014A group of 4 old friends gathered and The Cottage was the perfect location. We were there on a Friday with an early dinner reservation. Although we spent a long time at the table the server was always positive and friendly, never annoyed that we weren't turning over the table. The restaurant was full, but the tables are far enough apart that you can have privacy. I love the peach wine cooler cocktail. Everyone enjoyed their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, creative food.luvthelambburgerDined on 3/15/2014Excellent, creative food. Loved the ahi tuna nachos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIG disappointment!! I orderednotgoodVIPDined on 3/15/2014BIG disappointment!! I ordered the special egg salad sandwich. It looked so unappealing that there was no way I could even eat it. You would never know it was "egg salad". It looked like a mush that they poured over a roll! You could never pick it up & it just spilled all over the plate (due to the liquid state). My girlfriend and I have not seen each other in a while and wanted to catch up. As we were eating and talking you could tell they were setting up for a party (moving tables, someone brought in presents). It became obvious we were in their way, they needed our table and were decorating all the tables around us! Then we were told "unless you have a present for the bride, the shower starts in 15 minutes - you will need to leave"!
- Loved The CottageOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/12/2014Lunch with a long lost friend and was a great place to sit and talk over lunch. The interior is just beautiful and lives up to the cottage name. So relaxing. A wonderful menu - the Chicken MIlanese was delicious and the salad/dressing on top the same. Would come here again without doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedtuliDined on 3/9/2014Was looking for an upscale brunch spot to meet with some friends. This one had good reviews and the menu sounded great. The restaurant was beautifully decorated. After being seated we waited 20 minutes and weren't approached by any wait staff. We hunted down the hostess who had someone take our drink order. One of us ordered coffee. It was brought out in a mug with pink lipstick on the mug. It took another 25 minutes for us to receive our meals - all of which were Salads. The food was not nearly as good as it sounded. The mixture of flavors just didn't work. It was very pricy, poor service and so-so food. It was very pretty though:-/
- Delicious food and drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/7/2014Cocktails and appetizers were all appealingly presented and tasty. Bar area spacious and friendly. Gets busy so reserve a table to be safe!Special Features:
- Wonderful lunch!SallyVIPDined on 3/6/2014The Cottage has never disappointed me and my most recent visit to meet a friend who drove up from Rhode Island met my expectations. The luncheon menu has many choices to suit all tastes. Our lunch--lobster sandwiches for both of us was promptly served and delicious. We will return again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLoveditDined on 3/1/2014First of all I am not one to write reviews but this definitely warrants an exception. I am new to the area and wanted to take my visiting parents out for a nice dinner. We definitely chose right! Just a fantastic experience. The food was all delicious, perfectly cooked, and well timed. Our waitress Chelsea was great; personable without being overbearing and full of suggestions. Even though it was a busy saturday night we were not rushed at all and even encouraged to stay and enjoy the evening longer. Definitely will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday was a busy nightdocentDined on 3/1/2014Saturday was a busy night at the restaurant. We were seated within 15 minutes of our reservation time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salmon overcooked in spiteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/28/2014Salmon overcooked in spite of requesting it to be medium rare. They did offer to replace but were told it would take 20 minutes, which is probably why it was overcooked, and would not have worked with the rest of the diners. They did give a free dessert. Sirloin steak was thin and overcooked although not as overcooked as the salmon. Probably better for more casual food, mussels and salad were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely for lunchFrankophileVIPDined on 2/25/2014The Cottage continues to be my go-to lunch place on work days. Service is professional and efficient, and we were in and out within an hour -- a rarity among most local places in Chestnut Hill, as the newish ones still experience service glitches, while the "slow food" ones seem to emphasize the "slow" as much as the food. The Cottage manages to get both the food and the service right. Although I usually get the quiche special -- always excellent -- on this cold day, soup was appealing, so I tried a lunch combo with half a chicken salad sandwich and the chicken tortilla soup (I was expecting a cup of soup -- be aware it's a full bowl, and very filling!). Both were terrific. And I appreciate the conversation-friendly ambience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.