The Cottage Chestnut Hill
47 Boylston Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Cottage Chestnut Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cottagechestnuthill.com/
- Phone: 6179165413
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Kiley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Cottage Chestnut Hill
The Cottage Chestnut Hill has it’s origin in two different lifestyles. John grew up surfing the beaches of Southern California. Laura grew up in Wellesley and is the third generation in her family to have a business in town. Our decor, service and food reflect the casualness and familiarity of So Calif and the sophistication and warmth of New England. Please take a moment to say hello on your next visit. Welcome to the Cottage! — John + LauraContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Cottage Chestnut Hill - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
The Cottage Chestnut Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (74)neighborhood gem (67)great for brunch (54)good for groups (51)kid-friendly (35)fit for foodies (32)special occasion (27)great for outdoor dining (17)romantic (11)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Perfect for family brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/31/2011We went with a family group and had a nice, relaxed brunch. Excellent french fries! Crab and shrimp salad was a generous portion but the crab meat was a little bland. Patient waitstaff, lots of coffee refills, pretty environment and a happy group.Special Features:
- Great Menu - Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2011I was very pleasantly surprised with this new restaurant. Great first impression; light airy spotlessly clean, well decorated. Staff was efficient and pleasant. Then the food came. There were 3 of us and we each thoroughly enjoyed all food. I really couldn't find anything to complain about - a first for for me! And we split a dessert that didn't just look good, it tasted it too. I often go out to eat alone too and the bar looked spacious and comfortable at which to eat so I plan to return very soon. P.S. I have no relationship to this restaurant. i just really liked it. a great addition to the neighborhood. Now if someone would open a late night ice cream / dessert place like we used to have with Bailey's I"d be happy.Special Features:
- A very good to excellent forpattiVIPDined on 7/29/2011A very good to excellent for all. Decoration is of a beach cottage- light and airy. Good is consistently very good- even small salads enough for a dinner for a light eater. Server was very helpful and enthusiastic. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- The food here is decent butjoelawyerVIPDined on 7/29/2011The food here is decent but the service was absolutely awful the one time we went. It took nearly a half hour after we ordered just to get our drinks and bread. When our entrees finally arrived one of them was no what we had ordered. Normally, we might chalk this up to a bad night, but we have heard reports from others with similar experiences. Hopefully, the restaurant will get their act together. Until then, I would advise staying away.
- The restaurant needs to workOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2011The restaurant needs to work out the kinks with the on-line reservations. We had 7:30pm reservation, but had to wait for 20mins to get our table. Otherwise, the food was very good.Special Features:
- Unfortunately this place isOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2011Unfortunately this place is so good that soon they will no longer take reservations and we will have trouble getting a table!,, steal gemSpecial Features:
- We don't have a lot of restaurantpamnessVIPDined on 7/28/2011We don't have a lot of restaurant choices in Chestnut Hill, so the opening of The Cottage was eagerly awaited. I found decor quite nice, the noise level excessive and the food mediocre. I will not be back any time soon.
- Food is very good. Like theTicketsVIPDined on 7/28/2011Food is very good. Like the "lite" aspect...refreshing. Much too noisy in most of the restaurant.
- Good Neighborhood ChoiceBetsy1224VIPDined on 7/26/2011We went to the recently opened Cottage in Chestnut Hill as it's close to our home, and I ate once at The Cottage in Wellesley and thought it was quite good. Our group of 4 adults went with modest expectations and were pleasantly surprised by the variety of menu offerings and quality of preparation. While the servers are all quite young, they're anxious to please and quite attentive. We'll definitely go back as The Cottage is conveniently located, doesn't require dressing up and the food is a good value.Special Features:
- I'm really enjoying the newOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2011I'm really enjoying the new Cottage in Chestnut Hill since it's so close to home. Came here for dinner and was very happy with both the service and the quality of the food and wine. Normally I do brunch but dinner is definitely on my list from now on.Special Features:
- Food and service was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2011Food and service was excellent. Comparing The Cottage at Chestnut to The Cottage in Wellesley, I prefer the Chestnut location
- Well it is nice to have theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2011Well it is nice to have the restaurant here since we are running out of choices. It has a very nice menu. I would think to go more for lunch/brunch than dinner though we both had drinka, full dinners, steaks, salad. The nachos's were great. Nice environment The chocolate cake desert was great. Nice clean feel. I am sure it will do well there.Special Features:
- The griddled Mahi-Mahi tacosOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/22/2011The griddled Mahi-Mahi tacos were delicious! Everyone was very happy with their meal, including my husband, who ordered the brick chicken - moist, flavorful and delicious. The server was delightful and was very attentive with refilling the iced tea on a 103 degree day. We will be back!Special Features:
- I had been to The CottageSKRKDined on 7/21/2011I had been to The Cottage in Wellesley and very much enjoyed the decor, from the beautiful wood floors to the summer-like atmosphere echoed in the lighting, wall colors and paintings. This new Cottage in Chestnut Hill is exactly the same and just as pleasant. Our server put up with our jokes and was very attentive. The food was excellent. We live and work just a few miles from this restaurant and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Disappointed.....sadly.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/20/2011I had high hopes but I was disappointed. The service was frantic and rushed. Our waitress looked terrified every time we asked for something. The staff appeared young and undertrained. 12 waiters standing around doing nothing and the next minute, service was non existent. Food was good although seemed to be just 'plonked' on the plates. My plate taken away before my two other diners had finished. Our waitress at the end of the night (when we were trying to pay) was sitting folding napkins and we had to go find her. Lovely interiors and interesting menu but doesn't make up for sloppy service.Special Features:
- Love the food; fix the noise!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2011The only issue that kept this from being a five star was the noise. The acoustics in here are really terrible and it was difficult to have conversation with my dinner date. We asked to be moved from the back room because we really couldn't hear at all. They graciously brought us into the main dining room but the noise was still at a very high level. They really need to install something that absorbs the noise better; I would recommend this place as long as you know that it is going to be a very noisy night.Special Features:
- DissapointingpjbrVIPDined on 7/19/2011Salads listed as "grilled vegetables" and "shrimp/crabmeat" were lacking quantities of both; they were mostly greens - very overpriced. The salmon special was so "fishy" it had to be returned. I understand that this being a new entity in CH, folks are eager to try it... I doubt many will return. Malbec was reasonably priced and good; the vintage however was incorrect on the menu - listed as "2009" we got 2010.
- This location is so convenientOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2011This location is so convenient its hard to pass up but still does not live up to the Wellesley location. The service was good but the food not quite up to the quality I expected though not horrible. One of our party ordered a mixed drink that she had to return, it was not at all properly mixed. The waiter asked what else she might like to drink and took the other drink back without any problem. I so hope that this location will finally get its act together.
- So glad there is two now...ScottRDined on 7/16/2011So glad there is two now... Welleseley location is great and this is almost a carbon copy.. just love the food and atmosphere, definitely a great place to have a mealSpecial Features:
- The Cottage has a relaxed,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2011The Cottage has a relaxed, beachy feeling with a cool, neutral, architecturally-savvy interior. It was full, with a talkative crowd. Both the hamburger and lobster club were large and tasty. The fries were crisp and delicious. The chicken tortilla soup had a nice flavor although I found it a bit oily. I would return here for a fun evening out.Special Features:
- Best Fish Tacos! GenerouslsullVIPDined on 7/14/2011Best Fish Tacos! Generous portions of good food, reasonable prices, good service and a nice atmosphere. Perfect for a family dinner!Special Features:
- As usual, and as experiencedRCP1VIPDined on 7/14/2011As usual, and as experienced at the Wellesley site as well, the food was great, the service great, but the front desk crew cold as ice.Special Features:
- Decided the try a new restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/13/2011Decided the try a new restaurant and was richly rewarded with The Cottage. We had a 7:30P reservation and still had to wait another 10 minutes to get it. The place was hopping! And well deserved. We loved everything we had, including the specially made cocktails. Well done! I'll be back!!!Special Features:
- Very nice dinner here. FirstOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/13/2011Very nice dinner here. First time that I've been to The Cottage. The highlight of the evening was our server. when I didn't really like my entree selection (decent, but bland) he switched it for what my partner was having--scallops (excellent!). Truly excellent customer service and we'll be back. The raspberry bread pudding was divine.Special Features:
- Local Sustainable Rest. DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/12/2011This new restaurant in a prime area offers local, sustainable, and organic food. It is unfortunate when such good product is not treated with the respect it deserves resulting in over done hamburgers, burnt "fried" artichokes, and goopy tasteless fish chowder. The LA Burger was the tipping point. The burger was ordered cooked well done. It had a tomato relish that had a bad sour taste, what seemed like a cup of goat cheese on the top, and there were no crispy shallots. Also, the bread was served with butter that looked broken and curdled. The server should have caught this mistake. I don't believe that this restaurant serves local sustainable or organic food. I would NOT recommend this to anyone.
- We loved it. Friendly, attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2011We loved it. Friendly, attentive service, great cocktails, varied menu, beautifully presented food. Lovely, fresh, open feeling decor. We enjoyed fish tacos, parmesan crusted haddock, chicken piccata, all with interesting sides, and shared a terrific chocolate dessert. We'll be going back soon!Special Features:
- worth doing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2011This is a great restaurant. I have been both to the Wellesley location and the Chestnut hill location and both were excellent.Special Features:
- Needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/10/2011This new restaurant is still working out the kinks. The food order was wrong twice - once at the appetizer course and again with a main dish. We waited an inordinate amount of time for the food. Though the waitress was pleasant and apologetic, she did not get food or drink orders correct.
- Not sure why restaurant wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/9/2011Not sure why restaurant was so noisy but difficult to hear conversation. Appreciated fresh ingredients and attempts to be creative with cuisine but missed a little.Special Features:
- It was great I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/9/2011It was great I have been to the one in Wellesley. Wish there was one in Concord or Acton I could frequent more often becasue it would be closer or even WalthamSpecial Features:
- Great food, great choices,MitchSVIPDined on 7/9/2011Great food, great choices, so muh to chose from. The only negative is the servie. Our waiter in particular was terrible. We sat and waitedf 30 minutes in a relatively open dining room for our orders to be taken. Once we ordered, neighboring tables were seated, ordered and recieved food before us. Either our waiter was having a terrible night, or he just needs serious remedial training. On the flip side, we lingered for 2 1/2 hours to complete dinner and never did we feel that we needed to hurry up and finish. We never felt that they wanted to turn our table a second time, so that was niceSpecial Features:
- The Cottage Newton has a beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/9/2011The Cottage Newton has a beautiful design. The food is uneven, the Brick Chicken was wonderful but a turkey burger and fruit tart were mediocre at best.
- Good food, good valueShaynaVIPDined on 7/8/2011This was my second visit for dinner. I appreciate the broad menu and reasonable prices. The food is well prepared, tasty, and portions are generous. The only downside is the noise - requested a quiet table, but not sure one exists.Special Features:
- initially was awesome--sameOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/8/2011initially was awesome--same dishes have already gone downhill in a very short time opened!
- service was great. food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2011service was great. food was so-so. menu descriptions are misleading. great wine listSpecial Features:
- Pleasantly surprised at howSherylVIPDined on 7/3/2011Pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- We won't be going back. EVERYTHINGDeeDeeDiVIPDined on 7/2/2011We won't be going back. EVERYTHING was poor. Enough said!
- It is a beautiful restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2011It is a beautiful restaurant, very open, airy and contemporary. The service was friendly and quick. we were not rushed and were able to sit and chat. The food was delicious We will come back again.Special Features:
- Well prepared food. GourmetOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/1/2011Well prepared food. Gourmet homestyle would be my interpretation of the menu. Well prepared food however seemed to lack the right balance of spices bordering on a bit too salty. Our server was a bit tentative and seemed less than seasoned. However service was timely and prompt with out being rushed. Cocktails were generous.Special Features:
- We love The Cottage. BeautifulWriteonVIPDined on 7/1/2011We love The Cottage. Beautiful space, good service and delicious food.Special Features: