The Cottage Chestnut Hill
47 Boylston Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Cottage Chestnut Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cottagechestnuthill.com/
- Phone: 6179165413
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Kiley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Cottage Chestnut Hill
The Cottage Chestnut Hill has it’s origin in two different lifestyles. John grew up surfing the beaches of Southern California. Laura grew up in Wellesley and is the third generation in her family to have a business in town. Our decor, service and food reflect the casualness and familiarity of So Calif and the sophistication and warmth of New England. Please take a moment to say hello on your next visit. Welcome to the Cottage! — John + LauraContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Cottage Chestnut Hill - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
The Cottage Chestnut Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (77)neighborhood gem (70)good for groups (56)great for brunch (55)kid-friendly (40)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (27)great for outdoor dining (19)romantic (10)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (7)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Dinning & Shopping ExperiencewhiteflowerDined on 6/21/2014The Cottage at Chestnut Hill is conveniently located in a vibrant shopping area, and great place to stop for a bite while shopping or before a movie. Have been to the Cottage on several occasions and each time I have been slightly disappointed, as the description in the menu is often a bit different than what shows up at the table. For example, I ordered Chicken Piccata with the expectation that it would be prepared in traditional Italian style. Instead, chicken breast was not cut in half and did not appear to have been browned in olive oil. The flavoring was lemony and good, so overall I was happy. After our meal, our waiter presented the check without asking if we would like coffee or dessert. We were looking forward to both!Special Features:
- Nice Night to Celebrate.DesigngirlDined on 6/20/2014We celebrated a birthday with girlfriends. The food was great and everyone got something different. They had summer sangria which was tasty as well. We sat for a long while after dinner and no one asked for the table. Very enjoyable night out.Special Features:
- Cottage sounds beachyJunkMailDined on 6/18/2014Great spot! Food was excellent! Service was superb. Soda was lame-unfortunately. Places around CNH should always serve soda from a bottle or can (they charge enough not sure why they don't the fountain soda is NEVER good unless you go to Cheese Cake Factory!) the food at the Cottage was very fresh (there were 2 of us) we each had different fish. Very different flavors, served differently, perfectly cooked, presention was clean, specific&served with a smile. They even asked if we'd like bread 'n butter. Once seated there was no delay, no rush&everything was completely comfortable from start to finish! No complaints...except for the soda-which I don't take lightly...maybe keeping a few cans on hand would be good? Great spot for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch options!OllieGDined on 6/15/2014Went to The Cottage for Father's Day brunch. They had a vast menu with options for everyone. The peach mimosas were to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatButtons209VIPDined on 6/15/2014Great place for dinning my family had a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner out at a restaurant!RickDined on 6/14/2014Title says it all. It was dinner out, nothing bad, nothing exceptional. I would go again, I would recommend it, but, just a decent, run of the mill experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsSuncactusDined on 6/14/2014User error...booked Chestnut Hill and went to Wellesley. The hostess couldn't have been more gracious and understanding and we were seated in a short time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing - A Frequent DinerGeorgeDVIPDined on 6/14/2014The Chestnut Hill location is a far cry from the standard of excellence typified by the Wellesley location. For starters the eggplant fries, the calamari, and the veggie burger were "exceptionally" greasy. An unfortunate distinction that strayed from the standard fare we had come to expect when dinning at the Wellesley location. The server agreed with our disappointment but indicated he had to defer to the chef who felt his fare set the standard. I cannot recommend this location and will not return but I can recommend the Wellesley location.
- Would not recommendreviewerDined on 6/13/2014The waiter was attentive and friendly. We started with blood orange margaritas and we both thought they were way too salty. The chicken piccata had chunks of chicken in it instead of a nice cut of fattened chicken, and it had artichokes in it which I really didn't care for. The spaghetti in it was also overdone. We ordered the raspberry bread pudding for dessert to share and it was terrible. It was cold and dry, not at all what bread pudding should ever look like or taste like. we did not complain at the time, but we will not be back.
- tiilaDined on 6/8/2014Went there for a brunch on a late Sunday morning. Loved it!Special Features:
- Great bloody MariatasjtimeDined on 6/8/2014I've been to the cottage in La Jolla and loved it. This one was good, but lacked the charm of being literally in a cottage. That said, the décor is wonderful, the food is quite good, and substantial, and the bloody maria was just as I'd remembered it. I would recommend this for brunch, a day time event (like a shower) and for getting together with a group of friends.Special Features:
- ShoshyDined on 6/6/2014Overpriced,food was okay,service good,wine overpriced for the quality
- free kids soda! milk is extraMisterPicoDined on 6/5/2014Why should a nearly ten-dollar kids meal charge extra for milk? Otherwise, the comfort food is always great here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group lunchGradlunchDined on 6/5/2014Great afternoon celebrating a high school graduation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AJSatisfiedDined on 6/4/2014This restaurant has a crisp feel to it with a great little bar area as well. The servers are attentive and helpful and the food was delicious. We both had the red snapper, which was cooked to perfection, and it had a lovely, delicately flavored lentil side to go with it. We shared a roasted vegetable salad that was just the right amount of crunchy and tasty. They have a very good sized room which was catering to a small group of people but the noise from that was not loud or offensive. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- Surprisingly good!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/4/2014After reading reviews I was a bit reluctant. But went anyway and was glad I did not listen to reviews about slow service or mediocre food and especially portion size. We could not finish our meals took them home. Our group had a great dinner everyone in our party was very happy with our meals and full. Great service too. Give it a try for yourselfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ducksterDined on 6/3/2014What a nice find in a mall! Beautiful room, excellent apps, entrees were well presented and delicious. Will be sure to return.Special Features:
- good food!nicoleDined on 6/3/2014i do have a soft spot for the cottage because of the memories over the past 2 years. however, they always try to get a little too creative with their menu....i wish they would have more appetizer options and simple dishes/salads. service is always great and the restaurant is very pretty!Special Features:
- Too big to be called a "Cottage"nickVIPDined on 6/3/2014The front of the house is too big a room to be a "cottage" even though the furnishings make it look like one. We like this neighborhood restaurant for the convenience of its location and parking as well as the quality of its food and service.Special Features:
- The following 881 reviews are from the The Cottage Chestnut Hill reviews archive.
- Good place for lunchchchickenDined on 6/2/2014This place is a a good one for lunch with lots of options for salads, sandwiches and lighter fare. They also had some combo options like soup and salad. Their dessert list could use some lighter options as well. The ambience is nice - large and airy, and the tables are far enough apart so you aren't bothered by conversations around you. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014Unlike previous visits, both the food and service were disappointing. We were embarrassed, as we had brought guests and had given a high recommendation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014I am happy to give this restaurant a good review. After I had made my reservation, I checked out the reviews (obviously the wrong way round!). Many of them were negative, however our experience was perfectly fine. We were greeted in a friendly manner, when we asked to be seated at a different table from the one suggested, it was no problem. Service was speedy and pleasant and we all enjoyed our meal a great deal. Thank you!Special Features:
- great for lunchsmithie65Dined on 5/28/2014good food, fresh ingredients, tastefully prepared, presented and serve, reasonably pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and reliablelarryjVIPDined on 5/25/2014We always order the chicken tortilla soup, which is a wonderful combination of flavors and textures. the lamb burger also includes a delightful sauted onion and spice combination. The kitchen forgot to include sweet potato fries with the burger and the staff brought them out right away. Very attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service not up to parjenniferhDined on 5/24/2014i have been to the Cottage a few times over the last couple of years. The food is good, but the wait staff is not as attentive as they should be. If this inattentiveness had only happened once, I would not comment, but I have noticed this deficit most times I have dined there.
- Good food, ruined by awful serviceSilentDogoodVIPDined on 5/23/2014This was our 2nd visit to The Cottage. Our first experience was "okay"... good food, but slow service. We returned in the hope it would be better. Couldn't be more wrong. We were sat our reserved time, but after 20 minutes, not a single person had greeted us. It took getting up to go to the reception to finally get someone over to our table. Shocker, you'd think the 5 times our waitress stopped at their tables during those 20 minutes, she could have at least said "Hello, I'll be right with you." But, I digress... for the rest of dinner, she was incredibly perturbed. Like, it's our fault we waited 20 minutes for your non-service. Fish plate = good. "Chef's Special" Steak = mediocre at best. Thanks, but we won't be back.
- So much potential, unfulfilled...Likes2eatVIPDined on 5/23/2014We made a reservation for a recent Friday evening. In the past, we've enjoyed the food/drinks and the California vibe. This time it felt like a very mediocre experience for a lot of money. There are lots of places in the area with mediocre experiences for less $$$. When I greeted the reception desk with a friendly "Hi! How are you?", she responded to us like she thought I was trying to sell her something. Our rez request for a booth was ignored, but I get it, busy night. Our server seemed overloaded and unable to hear any exceptions to the standard. Requests for the soup without cheese on top (I'm dairy-intolerant), a drink refill, etc. - forget it. We weren't offered dessert and we paid and left. VERY disappointing for the $$$.
- Great disk and serviceSouthernfoodieDined on 5/19/2014Went to the cottage with a group of 6 to celebrate a graduation. It was a great atmosphere, great food and service at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing from start to finishunhappycamperDined on 5/17/2014We arrived on time for our reservation, but still waited 30 minutes for our table. The waitress was in such a hurry to take our orders. She brought the wrong drink. And then, everyone got and finished their salad, but my salad was never ordered and arrived. Eventually, I re-ordered and received my salad after everyone already finished their a salad. Anyway, the Caesar salad was poorly prepared and was not worth $10.00. Our main courses needed a lot of improvement as well. The brick chicken was tasteless, and the green bean was not cooked. The salmon was bland and overcooked, and the side vegetable was such a mess. Overall, this dinning experience was unsatisfactory and a big disappointment.Special Features:
- Always good, every time.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/16/2014Always good, every time. We were seated promptly. Our server was attentive but not obtrusive. The food was prepared as requested.Special Features:
- Very Pretty RestaurantPanky4321VIPDined on 5/14/2014I wished that the overall dining experience was better. We got there early - a little after 5pm. Waiters were busy walking around figuring which sections they were assigned to. Our waiter was non-existent even though we were the only ones in his section in an empty restaurant. Had to flag him down for my salad. The eggplant fries were absolutely horrible ... nothing that I have ever experienced before anywhere else. They were dipped in this awful tasting unappealing looking white coating. It's hard to describe ... coating was eggshell-like. They were neither french fry-like nor were they mozzarella stick-like.
- Dissapointing dessertGIgiVIPDined on 5/14/2014We come to the Cottage for its chocolate souffle. Unfortunately it was very dissappointing. Souffle was dry. Usually served in presentation with 3 souffle cups of ice cream, home made whipped cream and hot fudge sauce, the whipped cream was missing, fudge sauce was a spoonful dribbled next to souffle. When we requested whipped cream, it was not the delicious homemade variety but from an aerosol, mostly air. Not worth the trip from Boston.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2014We had a lovely time at the Cottage except for our reception. The manager , who was greeting and seating everyone was unbelievably rude and obnoxious. When we were seated, we asked to talk to the manager as we wanted to discuss this incredibly rude welcome. We were told that the manager was the welcomer, and so didn't speak to anyone. Her behavior was totally unacceptable and she should be straightened up or fired.Special Features:
- Perfectly nice4SquareFamilyDined on 5/12/2014The food was good, but nothing "wow-ed" us. Go for a casual bite to eat; not a foodie place. Lovely decor. Much, much better than a chain.Special Features:
- diningoutDined on 5/11/2014Delicious and consistently delicious food ,beautifully presented, and healthy options available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful AmbienceBennyTheChocolateLabDined on 5/11/2014I've always had a great meal and wonderful service. Our waiter was awesome - and props to him for keeping up a smile on busy Mother's Day. Food is delicious and the atmosphere and decor make you think you're, well, at a cottage by the beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchEOEODined on 5/11/2014The Lobster Benedict we had at brunch over Mother's Day was excellent! In spite of being very busy, the staff and service was great. We'll plan to go back.Special Features:
- Mother's DayemroseDined on 5/11/2014Took our moms here for Mother's Day brunch. Book in advance! We snagged a reservation for 5 a week in advance, but there weren't many left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014I made a 6:00 reservation on a Saturday night, and was running a few minutes late, they wouldn't let our friends sit until we got there, and we had to wait a bit. Also, it is a small menu and we ordered an appetizer and they were already out of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBostonloverDined on 5/8/2014Loved this place . Extensive gluten-free menu, which was a necessity for one person in our party. The food was fresh, innovative and reasonably priced. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.