The House of William & Merry
1336 Old Lancaster Pike
Hockessin, DE 19707Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The House of William & Merry
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.williamandmerry.com/
- Phone: 3022342255
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday, Lunch and Dinner: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm; Sunday Dinner: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Hoffman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The House of William & Merry
The House of William and Merry serves contemporary American cuisine prepared from the freshest seasonal ingredients procured from local farms, providing casual fine dining at a reasonable price. Chef-owned by the husband and wife team, Merry Catanuto and William Hoffman, who live on the property, the restaurant is a remodeled farmhouse on the edge of central Hockessin. Dine in a comfortable home atmosphere in one of the two dining rooms, the porch, or the bar. When you arrive, you can see right into the all new, modern kitchen. Full bar service is available including wines by the glass, microbrews on tap, and specialty drinks. Or, take a walk around back to see the herb and vegetable gardens. Tuesday through Saturday we serve lunch and dinner. On Sunday, we serve brunch followed by a prix fix supper in the evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The House of William & Merry - Best Restaurants in Hockessin ›
The House of William & Merry reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)special occasion (65)neighborhood gem (56)romantic (36)great for outdoor dining (25)great for brunch (19)great for lunch (14)notable wine list (12)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- wonderful food and servicedoublebirthdayDined on 3/7/2014first time visiting and parking took us by surprise... thankfully it was valet parking! we came at the busiest time and it was SO loud in there, but as customers dwindle, noise level was much better. music was not loud, the enclose space and proximity to other customers were the source of the noise. I can't say enough good things for the food and service... it was so excellent we are definitely coming back to our new favorite restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014This place is my absolute favorite! Food is wonderful, staff is terrific, I love to sit in the front, have drinks and either just starters or full dinner - all at the bar. Tables are cozy and intimate, but the bar is a great place to dine. The open kitchen makes you feel part of the action! With the seasonal menus and in the moment specials, the Chef keeps you wanting to try everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2014Overall, an excellent restaurant! Prices are a little high for the area, but then again, it is Hockessin.Special Features:
- Perfect Sunday NightMaryDined on 2/23/2014There is rarely anything on their prix fixe menu that you couldn't do at home but all three courses were polished..the salad with a hint of citrus, the steak resting on a bed of silky mashed potato, surrounded by a mound of baby, crunchy Brussels sprouts and dessert two kind of citrus cake garnished. Wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all around perfectvickiDined on 2/23/2014We have only been to the House of William and Merry for Sunday brunch. The food is beautiful and amazing. The breakfast burrito is huge, and filled with a delicious mix of things i would not have imagined, but which are perfect together. It changes weekly. My friend had the bananas foster french toast which was … my mouth is watering as i type this … sweet and not too sweet and delicious - crusty on the outside and perfect on the inside. The ambience of this place is soft and casual, yet upscale. It's like being welcomed into a home for a delicious meal. it's our favorite place for sunday brunch, and worth the drive from Fair Hill, MD.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerBarbDined on 2/22/2014We were able to get a last minute reservation through Open Table. The only uncomfortable part of the evening was having to wait about 10 minutes for the table, there was little waiting room with so many people coming and going. After being seated, we ordered 2 fabulous martinis and the chef's tasting which was an arrangement of sausages, duck and a tuna pate, an excellent choice. The restaurant has its own charcutier. Our entrees, trout crusted with hazelnuts served with haricot verts and a light cream sauce, the second a declan beef cut served rare with jalapeño mashed potatoes both were excellent choices. We also had chocolate crème brulee which was creamy chocolate goodness! Excellent knowledgeable service, worth the cost!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!gjeatsDined on 2/20/2014Aside from the parking difficulty (a staff member finally came out and parked my car, thank goodness), the evening was a very nice dining experience. My salmon was absolutely the best I've ever had, my friend's duck was super. The only downside was a pork chop that, though presented attractively, was quite tough and fatty full of gristle/fat. I'll definitely return for some more of the menu items. The chef's imaginative and very attractive offerings were much appreciated. It is a bit pricey, but well worth it for a special occasion or special romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming- Great Staff,Food,Spirtstoula5Dined on 2/16/2014Very welcoming and great food. Enjoy the ambiance of eating downstairs especially for Dinner. Brunch is great, also enjoy eating downstairs or outside if the weather permits. We celebrated different occasions here and everything was outstanding. We will highly recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Everything couldn't have been any better. It was truly a special experience. Amazing food, service & ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gemgmiddlteon18Dined on 2/14/2014Have been by this location many times not realizing this was a dining experience waiting to happen. We arrived early for our reservation and were seated promptly. Menu offered options and the food when presented was appetizing to the eye as well as to the taste. Very pleased with all aspects of the dining experience. We intend to return and try the brunch as well.Special Features:
- First of manySlackDined on 2/12/2014We ate at William and Merry's for the first time on a Wednesday. We were very pleased and will return for another dinner. The service was exceptional, our server was attentive but not annoying, a difficult balance to achieve. The soup and meal were very good and just the right portion for both of us. The dessert was great, we had the creme brulee and were treated for the first time to a chocolate rendition. Lastly even the coffee was good which sets the restaurant apart as we have had many a good meal only to be served weak and luke warm coffee. We'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time...not the charmGrd543VIPDined on 2/12/2014This was our third visit and we found it dramatically disappointing. I opened with a fois gras appetizer special that was extraordinarily bland. My wife tried the mushroom soup "cappuccino". Unfortunately too much attention was paid to making it look like a cup of cappuccino rather than making it taste good. In the heart of mushroom country, it should have been better. My biggest disappointment was my duck entree. The chef had far too much going on in this dish. The heavy sauces completely overpowered what was likely a very nice duck breast. On the plus side, the Caesar salad was very good and the wines from the family owned winery represent an excellent value. Too bad they don't have the wines to go...I'd take a bottle to Twelves!
- Always delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/11/2014Out early Valentine dinner did not disappoint. We both devoured our mushroom cappuccino, and the Caesar salad and duck entree were wonderful. We tried the citrus dessert and loved it. We will be back for sure :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert spectacularBirthdayboyDined on 2/11/2014Starting with dessert a chocolate quadruple sample, the best in Delaware! The trout entree was good, the sauce gave it flavor. The mushroom soup capuccino was another best of Delaware.The bar looked like it would be a nice place to hang out on a snowy evening. Our waiter was excellent. Other staff were smiling young faces. We ate at 5 so we had the small downstairs dining room to ourselves. It was an altogether pleasant experience to celebrate a birthday. We decided to return to revisit our favorite tastes and try a new one next time but we wish they would ban foie gras from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a treat... service a bit laxtimskiDined on 2/8/2014We totally enjoyed our meal as the menu presents very interesting choices... our waiter was a bit lagging... it took 20 minutes to get a cocktail ordered and delivered... so long that I had to ask where were our drinks to speed things up? Sitting with just water for that long is unacceptable in my book... don't know what the problem was there... we also had to ask for bread with our salad as the server (busperson??) was surprised we didn't already have it on the table... other than that, the meal was outstanding and we will return... Pricey, but worth it... a special go to place for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulH2obapperDined on 2/7/2014We did the tasting menu and really enjoyed it. The seafood course with parsnip purée was wonderful! The house spirit was very good as was all of the cocktails. We were out to celebrate a birthday and would go again. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our current favorite restaurantBillKDined on 2/7/2014My wife and I were introduced to The House of William and Mary by friends of ours and it has become our favorite local restaurant. We have dined there several times the last few months and each experience has been excellent. The food is imaginative and expertly prepared. The wait staff is very knowledgable, friendly and helpful. This place is definitely worth a try for anyone seeking a high end dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in HockessinLloydDined on 2/7/2014For a dining treat for that special occasion, I wholeheartedly recommend William & MerrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thrilled as usualafanVIPDined on 2/1/2014now that w and m have moved into the neighborhood, at last there is somewhere to go that is both close and predictably, unpredictably fabulous. you can't know how amazing the dish will be by merely reading the menu. the presentation, subtleties of the flavors, the quality of the food can only be appreciated when your amiable server brings your appetizer, your entree, your dessert to your table. and don't forget the stunning cocktails! they always set the mood for your dining experience.Special Features:
- Nice RestaurantBrunchoSaurusDined on 1/26/2014I was impressed by the menu and service. Nice and apt for it's locationSpecial Features:
- Service excellent; very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/25/2014Service excellent; very friendly staff; goes out of their way to assure a good dining experience. Food very good. Different menu Staff very knowledgableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday BrunchcuffthisVIPDined on 1/19/2014My chef/sommelier friend of mine had a very enjoyable brunch. We met to catch up on things and The House of William and Merry was an ideal place to do so. For brunch, we both started with the mushroom soup which was rich and delicious. For main courses, I had the omelette of the day and my friend had the breakfast burrito, which was huge in size and very well seasoned. We paired all of our food with a reasonably priced bottle of Roederer Sparkling Wine. This was an excellent Sunday brunch spent with great food, great friends and friendly, efficient service.Special Features:
- Intimate Gem in Hockessin!TableforTwoDined on 1/18/2014My husband and I recently relocated to the area. We lived in NYC and Europe prior to relocating here and have a love for good food. This restaurant offers superb cuisine that compares with some of the nicer restaurants that we have enjoyed! We usually get the chef's taster's menu and have not been disappointed. The food is inventive and satisfying. The staff are knowledgeable, friendly, and efficient. The wines are very nice as well and if you are not sure what to order, you needn't worry - the waiters can make a fine recommendation. As if the food wasn't enough, the warm and genuine personal touch that Merry, the co-owner, provides by casually greeting guests at their tables will definitely win you over! Overall, we highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old house charmCallyfrogVIPDined on 1/17/2014Amazing food. Had the chef's tasting board for appetizer. Definitely enough for two & not your average offerings. The chicken liver mousse was to die for. Main course was generous portions, attractively served and again the taste was outstanding. I had the pork chop which was moist & perfectly cooked. My husband had he ribeye special which was truly "special". Can't go wrong dining here. The pear martini was exceptional. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a Word - "Wow"QualityEnablerVIPDined on 1/15/2014My wife and I went there on the recommendation of two friends (we already had reservations at another excellent Wilmington restaurant, which we cancelled), and we were very glad we took their advice. Since the chef was highly praised by our friends, we chose the the Chef's Tasting Board for appetizers and the Chef's Tasting Menu for our main course. Every course was outstanding, and the wine matches complemented the food to perfection. While our expectations were high, they still managed to exceed them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningSuperbVIPDined on 1/11/2014Eating here was a true pleasure! My boyfriend is a chef and he was very pleased with it and when I can pick a place that satisfies his taste, trust me it's a good place. The service was outstanding as well. We drove an hour to get there and had no regrets.we normally eat in the city on weekends and found this to be a great adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/11/2014charming atmosphere, warm and friendly staff. Food was outstanding. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Hockessinlove2eatoutDined on 1/7/2014Love this place! Food is always so well presented on hot plates, which I love. Staff are friendly & the service is good. Menu is different & innovative. wish I could go more often! Cheers!Special Features:
- Very GoodBudsk1Dined on 1/3/2014Very nice dinner. Creative presentation. Great martini. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A charming/cozy place to eat.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2013A charming/cozy place to eat. Owners are friendly and food always a bit off the beaten path. I had the roasted bone marrow as an appetizer. While it was good, the 1/2 bone they gave me produced about 1/4 teaspoon of marrow! For $13 I was expecting several bones. Go ahead and insert your joke here. Haha. My entre was whole black bass. While good, I didn't realize how boney the fish was. My fault. Again, fish produced maybe 4oz of edible flesh? Not worth $40. She ordered the duck entre. Was both our first time for duck. We didn't care for it much. We knew duck is rich/fatty but some sort of creamy/rich sauce that accompanied it was too rich again. Recommended- but check the limited menu beforehand to ensure you'll like something.Special Features:
- A gemMomsullyDined on 12/31/2013We love William and Merry, it's the first place we think of when we are looking for a special spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never thought of it for BrunchBrianPADined on 12/29/2013Excellent service. Thoughtful food. Never pushed us along. Good brunch spot although prior to our visit, I never thought of it for it for brunch. Many great menu items that won't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerJeffDined on 12/28/2013We decided to have dinner here over the holidays. We had previously been for brunch several times. As usual, the food was amazing - perfectly prepared, beautifully presented. The service bordered on slightly slow - i know that they are going for a relaxed, non-rushed dining experience but this one went a little too far that way. We sat upstairs so not sure how much the gong up and down the stairs had to do with it. All in all, a great dining experience - we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2013We drive 35 minutes to get there and will continue to do so. The mushroom soup was superb. So flavorful and hot. Serving the cappuccino cup made it fun and easy to finish the last sip! The duck risotto was wonderfully unique and rich. The chocolate creme brûlée was better than expected. Creamy almost like a pudding. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale restaurant in HockessinnthockeyDined on 12/27/2013There's not much in Hockessin (and we like it that way) but House of William & Mary is a treat, a good meal that doesn't break the bank. Perfect place for a quiet romantic dinner or vibrant bar scene - separated by a well insulated wall.Special Features:
- great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2013Had a great night at William and Merry. Service was friendly and informative. Food was off the charts and the owners were unbelievably friendly. This is the clear cut best restaurant in Delaware.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere is nice anddisappointedDined on 12/22/2013The atmosphere is nice and promises a good experience. We didn't expect a price-fixed menu but the selections looked good so we stayed. They moved us to a quieter table when one became open (after checking with the manager). I had the "lobster" bisque in which I couldn't find a single sliver of lobster. I had the trout which was on the dry side and couldn't identify the flavor of the very bright unappetizing red sauce on my plate which my husband remembered from the menu might be a beet sauce. The fish was tasteless. We held out hope for the desert which turned out to be the best part of the meal. I had the creme brulee and he had the devil's food cake. Both were really good. This place is unfortunately nothing special.
- Good burgersHockessinDined on 12/22/2013Had some very good burgers here before we attended at concert at the Wilmington Opera House.Special Features:
- Awesome diningmarzbagzDined on 12/21/2013We were so pleased that Merry seated us at the same table that we had the last time we dined there. This was such a nice surprise. Food was absolutely the best, service and atmosphere very nice.Special Features:
- regularsafanVIPDined on 12/19/2013as always, the food is spectacular, the cocktails and infusions inspired. good on tap selection and more in bottles.Special Features: