Heck's at Devil's Thumb Ranch
3530 Country Road 83
Tabernash, CO 80478Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Heck's at Devil's Thumb Ranch
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.devilsthumbranch.com/
- Phone: 9707267002
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Heck's at Devil's Thumb Ranch
HECK’S - a.k.a. “Hex” - a six sided shape with equidistant lengths, relatively concentric with a center point. That’s the definition. Here’s the history.... The hexagonal room that houses Heck's is a replication of a room in one of our country’s national monuments, The Timberline Lodge located at the base of Mt. Hood, Oregon. We visited the Timberline Lodge in 1999, about the same time we contracted to purchase the Ranch. Taken by the sheer expanse and natural beauty of the hex room at Timberline, we felt there were few buildings that built today with that type of grand and inspiring craftsmanship. After that visit, including a hexagonal room as a centerpiece became the focus in planning the Lodge here at Devil’s Thumb Ranch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Heck's at Devil's Thumb Ranch - Best Restaurants in Tabernash ›
Heck's at Devil's Thumb Ranch reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (10)special occasion (7)good for groups (5)romantic (5)fit for foodies (5)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)neighborhood gem (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Smarter and pricierJulianreviewDined on 8/23/2013Great food and location. Perhaps a little self consciously special. Steak and hose red was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to the reviews.DrakeDined on 8/10/2013We had heard so many good things about Heck's and we truly disappointed in our experience. We checked in with the hostess and told her we had a reservation. This was a birthday dinner and we had requested a table with a view when we made our reservation through Open Table. We were seated at the back of the restaurant behind the fire place. Not a great summer view. When we asked to move we were told the open tables were reserved. Hmmmmm....The food was also disappointing. The ribs and the game chili were good and full of flavor but the meat loaf was under seasoned, the double pork chop was under cooked (I like a little pink but not jelly like in the middle), the grilled peaches were severely over cooked and flavorless.Special Features:
- We visited Devil's Thumb forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2013We visited Devil's Thumb for an overnight and had lunch, dinner, and breakfast at Heck's since the big restaurant was closed on Tuesday. Our salad, reuben sandwich, all the small plates, and our breakfasts were delicious! We appreciated having such a fine restaurant with such excellent service right there at the lodge. We'll eat there again when we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service & Very Long Waitcr653Dined on 8/5/2013We stayed at Devil's Thumb Ranch for 2 nights.The first night we ordered 3 kids meals to go as we were going to the Ranch House for an adult dinner. It took an hour and a half for them to get us the kids meals, and when they did, they were missing most of the sides we ordered.The next night the group of 9 ate there and had made reservations. When we arrived for our reservation, the hostess politely told us that they had just seated 2 large parties, so to expect a very long wait for our food.We tried to explain that we had kids with us and it's very difficult to wait 2 hours for food with kids. She seated us, however we sat there for 20 minutes without any server even acknowledging us, and finally we had to go ask for a server for our table.
- Overpriced and underwhelmednotafivestardinerDined on 7/27/2013Devils Thumb Resort is an impressive facility and Heck’s Restaurant is well appointed with an expansive scenic view, but I found the meal to be disappointing for the price. The staff was well trained, and the service was excellent considering our waiter was assigned to a twenty-person table shortly after we arrived. The meal was simple faire of a ½ rack of short ribs and a rendition of smoked chicken Bolognese, although carrying a more than “simple” price. The ribs had a delicious barbeque sauce, but were overcooked, and the “smoked chicken” was cubed chicken loaf, again in a delicious sauce, but with a very disappointing texture. I had hoped the scenic view would be complemented by the meal, but in this case the scenery won hands down.Special Features:
- DianeDianeDined on 7/25/2013One word "Excellent". Food and atmosphere go hand in hand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovelyCOFoodieVIPDined on 7/15/2013I have been to Heck's twice for lunch and it was wonderful both times. Cozy in the winter with the fireplace in the background and cool and breezy in the summer on the patio with amazing views. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food. Excellent service.evalDined on 7/8/2013Terrific food. Excellent service. Beautiful restaurant and views.Special Features:
- Lunch or Happy Hour HappinessmejhVIPDined on 7/1/2013Best options at happy hour - arrive early - big crowds, great music, good food. Service was slow, hint: order two at a time :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGammeeDined on 6/21/2013We, staying at the ranch, were told that our table was not ready when we arrived for a 7:00 reservation yet there were many empty tables. Once we sat down the food was disappointing. And the next day we went for lunch and were told we could not have a table as there were not enough staff to serve or provide a meal. We were very surprised that as guests at the ranch we could not get a cooked meal. The apologies were few. The ranch needs to hire more staff all around.Special Features:
- Huge DisappointmentdisappointedDined on 6/15/2013Made a reservation for my daughter's birthday dinner. Having eaten there before I looked forward to sharing the view with her. When we arrived (to a nearly empty restaurant) we were told that we would have to eat at a high top in the bar area. I asked why we couldn't have a dining table with a view (most were empty) I was told that they were all reserved. They did find us a dining table next to the door with no view. No one ever came to sit at ANY of the other tables, so I asked again on our way out why we couldn't have been seated at any of those tables and I was told that they were all reserved but everyone had called and canceled. Obviously that was a lie and we were seated for the convenience of the wait staff. Food was just okay
- pros & consOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/2/2013The dining room, patio and views are spectacular. Though, I think the restaurant probably relies too much on that. The staff was very friendly, though not very professional. We practically had to bus our own table. The dessert was served before the dinner plates had been cleared. In fact, the dinner plates were just pushed aside to make room, for the dessert dishes. They dinner and dessert dishes were not cleared until after we paid the bill. I had the empanadas which were tasty. My husband's ribs were VERY dry. Other members of our party had the sliders and the roasted chicken. Both dishes were fine, but unmemorable. We may go back to Heck's when we are in the area simply becasue of the lack of other dining options.Special Features:
- Great Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 5/12/2013Great Brunch for Mother's Day! Food was really good and the setting can't be beat. Staff was friendly and went out of their way to make the experience special.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server seemed to be inOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/4/2013Our server seemed to be in a rush to take our orders, the restaurant was far from full. Later, once the food arrived, he made himself scarce and did not come to see how things were until we had our food for quite some time. The ribs, which he recommended, were dry and tough. By the time he reappeared there was not much we could do to get a replacement, since the other person in the party had almost finished her food.
- The appetizers were greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013The appetizers were great and the drinks were good. When my entree arrives, the food was on the verge of cold so I sent it back and the waiter said they were bringing a new entree. That arrived and it was barely lukewarm but I just dealt with is since my husband was almost done with his entree. The atmosphere was great and it seemed like it was kid friendly. The firepit outside was awesome and it we weren't so full, we would have asked for a marshmallow kit to roast them for dessert. The property itself is awesome and I highly recommend it to anyone!Special Features:
- I have been coming to Heck'sOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/20/2013I have been coming to Heck's a Devil's thumb for the last 5 years. I usually make it a must when I have out of town guests due to the ambience and experience. Unfortunately, I feel the menu has become a little high priced for what it is. There used to be some $10 to $15 dollar options for younger people in the group, and unfortunately, the portions on the kids menus are very small for the $8. Offering a buffalo, or even grass feed beef burger would make it more accessible. Other than being a little slow, we had great service and enjoyed our evening. Thanks
- We made the reservation notOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013We made the reservation not knowing about the beer tasting event. However, we were pleasantly suprised that it worked out for all of us. My one idea is, for those of us who really don't drink beer, we would love a wine substitute. As it turns out, there were at least 3-4 beers left over when we were done. We are locals and love Hecks. Thanks!!Special Features:
- Lunch was great. BreakfastNatnordyVIPDined on 4/5/2013Lunch was great. Breakfast was not. Dinner was just so so.
- Disappointing experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/3/2013Disappointing experience. Food was not what we hoped for given the setting and the build-up. Trout may actually have been salmon. Bread pudding was solid and uneatable.Special Features:
- Stopped in for breakfast andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/29/2013Stopped in for breakfast and had a great experience. The food was really good as was the service. We were seated at a table with a mountain view. It made for an enjoyable morning.Special Features:
- We showed up for happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/28/2013We showed up for happy hour at 4 pm, and it was fantastic. Brandon, the bartender, did an amazing job and managed the bar well at an extremely busy time. He engaged every guest even though some had to wait for the bar to catch up on orders. He embodies the type of service that any restaurant owner would want to provide. Dinner was a different story. We arrived for our 6:45 reservation and had to wait 10 minutes to be seated. There were two of us and the entire event took two hours. The food was good and so was the wine selection. The server seemed distracted and the kitchen was slow. We watched several groups try to find a manager because they weren't being seated for their reservations. This restaurant needs a management intervention.Special Features:
- Had a delightful après skiOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/28/2013Had a delightful après ski dinner. Staff seemed overworked and short handed. Pleasant waiter compensated.Special Features:
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/28/2013Although we were looking forward to our visit to Heck's, we were incredibly disappointed with our experience. Although the restaurant was busy, we waited 5-10 minutes for a server to come to our table to greet us, and another 15 minutes to receive our drinks. The food was mediocre at best - the wagyu cheeseburger was good, although the meatloaf was dry and overcooked, as were the chicken fingers we ordered for the kids. Our server never came to refill our waters without us having to ask, and after receiving our check, they charged our card for the wrong amount! There was no manager or host to be seen in the restaurant, and after asking for the manager on duty at Devil's Thumb Ranch, he simply said, "well, we were busy."Special Features:
- Hecks is a great place toDenvergirlVIPDined on 3/25/2013Hecks is a great place to eat if you are staying at DTR or are there for a ski day. We recommend the "hog chop" and the empanadas! Be patient though, when busy, things can be slow. It is worth the time to enjoy the views and company!Special Features:
- Beautiful rustic atmosphereMarkCDined on 3/23/2013Beautiful rustic atmosphere right out of a national park lodge. Not as fancy as the upscale Ranch House, but very good and a much better value. One of the best restaurants in Grand County
- We had lunch and appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/21/2013We had lunch and appetizers and drinks as well as dinner during our 4 night stay at the ranch. The food is OK. The service was not good. Lots of people available, but nothing was prompt. After waiting for 10-20 minutes for our waiter to get back to us a couple of times, we decided to pay the tab and leave rather than wait more. The hamburger is very good. Crispy fries. They willingly substituted a salad for me. Drinks were tasty and well made. Everything was just s-l-o-w.Special Features:
- A gem in the mountainsJcottDined on 3/20/2013Love Devils Thumb Ranch and Heck's is one of 2 great restaurants on site. There is a game room for kids so adults can stay and enjoy, thus good for larger groups. Also, s'mores at outside fire pit is an awesome touch. I have now been there 3 times and each entree I have tried has been unique and very good.Special Features:
- The view and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/16/2013The view and service were fantastic. Breakfast was superb. The Wedge salad was terrific and so were the hamburgers, but that ceasar salad was so tiny as to be insulting.Special Features:
- Lots of fun, a little sloshyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2013Fantastic food, amazing beer that actually does fit the food! Could have dropped the price and given us 3 half pints. 3 full pints required sitting at the fire for 40 min just to be safe to drive, especially when the last beer was ABV 10.5! That was fun too though. Spectacular lodge and views. A real adventure!Special Features:
- We were seated at a high tableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013We were seated at a high table when there were many other "low table" options, unable to reassign us because we had reserved through Open Table and these are always the high-top tables. Our waiters were a bit confused about who was waiting on us, we had to ask for the check. The food was incredible and the ambiance unique and enjoyable. We would return to this gem in the Rockies, with hopes for better service.Special Features:
- We had a late lunch here andSusanVIPDined on 2/23/2013We had a late lunch here and it was delicious. At the recommendation of the waiter I ordered the reuben sandwich which was outstanding on rye bread. I think the difference was the carmelized onions - they added just a hint of sweetness to the sandwich. I didn't want the fries as a side and the waiter suggested a side salad. I expected the standard garden salad but this was so much more! Fresh mixed greens, yellow and purple small tomatoes, roasted beets and green beans! Yum! My husband had the smoked chicken pasta which he said was very good. Definitely recommend Heck's.Special Features:
- We have been up there twice,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2013We have been up there twice, both times for the beer pairing dinners. We have enjoyed it and plan on being back again.
- The food at Hecks is reallyABM123Dined on 2/16/2013The food at Hecks is really good with a great menu selection but unfortunately the TERRIBLE RUDE service takes away from that. May go back to the Ranch House but probably never again Hecks unless we here service has improved. This has happened 3 times in a row so no fluke!!
- My most favorite place toSunnyDined on 2/16/2013My most favorite place to dine! anytime of year! Excellent food and variety !Special Features:
- This excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2013This excellent restaurant was really busy. The bar was packed, also, with only one bartender to take care of the bar and the restaurant drink orders. Our server just had too many tables to take care of to do a good job. Took 15 minutes to get our first drink order. An extra glass of wine ordered before our entree was served came after we were finished, another 15 minutes. We still enjoyed our dinner and will be back. They just seemed to be short staffed.Special Features:
- Amazing food, as always, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2013Amazing food, as always, but service was slower than normal.Special Features:
- I had the burger (withoutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013I had the burger (without the aioli) and it was very good. It was January and even with sitting by the window, it was very comfortable. It was nice to be able to look out to see the mountains and watch the skiers. Our waitress did a great job. I liked the ice cream on the brownie more than the brownie itself, but it was still good. I would go back.Special Features:
- Not on New Years EveJfinanceVIPDined on 12/31/2012My wife and were looking forward to New Years Eve at Heck’s. We were guests at the lodge and had made reservations in November for dinner. When we arrived, we were told that it would be a twenty to thirty minute wait for a real table, or we could perch at a bar table next to the service area. No apology, no offer of a free drink for our inconvenience. Just take it or leave it. After a full day of skiing and snowshoeing, there was no way we could wait, so we took the worst table in the room. The food was mediocre and our server was enthusiastic, but clueless. I recommend going down the road to the Tabernash Tavern, if you ever need dinner in the area.
- Loved it and will definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/29/2012Loved it and will definitely be back. The only slight glitch was in the pacing of the courses. We got our entrees just as we were finishing our soup/salad. However, I suspect that had to do with the fact that the place was full of families being Christmas break and they were probably trying to keep the young ones from getting restless. If you're out this way, go!Special Features:
- OutstandingPoppyDined on 12/25/2012Superb inn every way.....a beautiful place with great foodSpecial Features: