1713 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pumpkinphilly.com/
- Phone: 2155454448x
- Hours of Operation:
(last seating at 10:00pm)
Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban's
"Top 5 favorite New American BYOB's".
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ian Moroney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Join us for your next event! Intimate setting, wonderful food and caring staff. Can accommodate up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Hillary Bor 2155454448x
- Special Events: Join us EVERY Sunday for our $40 five course prix fixe menu.
A word from Pumpkin BYOB
Celebrating our 10th year! Hillary & Ian welcome you to their intimate 26 seat BYOB featuring a daily changing seasonal menu. Our Sunday $40 five course prix fixe menu is available all year long. Awarded 3 bells from Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Pumpkin BYOB - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Pumpkin BYOB reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)neighborhood gem (83)romantic (56)special occasion (49)hot spot (8)good for groups (5)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fantastic time at Pumpkin!jmau307Dined on 3/14/2014The food was great - very flavorful and fresh - and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodPeterDined on 3/13/2014I have dined at Pumpkin several times both early and late. The food is always innovative, fresh and interesting. Excellent value, good service, you never feel rushed even if you suddenly realize you are the only table there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pumpkin has been around foreatoutVIPDined on 3/9/2014Pumpkin has been around for years - all well deserved. Menu is diverse and interesting; food is attractively presented and excellent. A definite keeper.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youDonatoDined on 3/6/2014We had an issue about a year ago with a reservation and we never rescheduled. When our bill came yesterday they took something off the bill because of what happened then. I couldn't belive they remembered, it made my night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CozyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/6/2014This place is very good for small groups (2-4 people; would be a bit too crowded for larger groups); I went with a friend to celebrate getting a job offer. Love the garlic oil (that has an actual piece of garlic in it) that goes with the bread before the meal - the bread could have been warmed up before being served though. Scallops for appetizer; steak and bass for entree. We'll definitely remember to bring our own bottle of wine next time!Special Features:
- AAAAzeeeVIPDined on 3/5/2014A really wonderful dining experience: delicious food, beautifully presented in an inviting room with impeccable service. 'Nuf said?Special Features:
- Outstanding !leo30thVIPDined on 3/1/2014What an amazing dinner experience, from start to finish! The food was outstanding, the service impeccable and friendly, and the ambience wonderful! It was our first time at this restaurant but it is now one of our favorites!!Special Features:
- super inventive food and warm welcoTobaVIPDined on 3/1/2014Uusually they have a raw fish appetizer, but this time, there was none. Instead, had to order the "fall back," perfectly cooked scallops with tiny pickled vegetables. Main course as a seafood stew in a butternut squash romescu sauce, elegant and delectable. Same for the dessert, a perfect financiere with lemon curd and fruit sauce. Perfect meal in a restaurant with a cozy ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BYOPhillyeaterDined on 2/28/2014I had the scallops appetizer and the butternut squash romesco stew. Both were very good, especially the stew. Not many vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pumpkin shines in all categories.RexDVIPDined on 2/27/2014Pumpkin shines in all categories. The tasting menu is way to go. Every course is presented with utmost care and attention to detail. When each dish hits the table you feast eyes first. The presentation is perfect. You then notice the wonderful aromas tickling your nose. It's hard to not eat the dish quickly as first taste delivers so well. Lots more can be said but best to go to experience it yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menu-great serviceJonWVIPDined on 2/27/2014Because Pumpkin is small, the service is superb and well-balanced. The staff is not listening to your conversations but is always ready when you want something. The chef is quite accessible.Special Features:
- Amazing food & atmosphereChipDined on 2/26/2014Great for a date or a group of friends. Great atmosphere and amazing food. Always get a great and interesting meal whenever I go and guests are always impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best chef in PhiladelphianewyorkrayVIPDined on 2/22/2014We've been to Pumpkin numerous times and Ian's food continues to astound. His use of fresh herbs where one might least expect it, his creativity with soups, and his mastery of all fish make this a must-eat restaurant for anyone who craves creative, delicious food. The service is always friendly and does a great job of presenting Ian's food. If you're traveling to Philadelphia, I urge you to make this your dinner destination. You won't regret it. We were there this weekend and the Garganelli pasta is a dish I will remember for many meals to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, healthy and fun!BeegeVIPDined on 2/22/2014Party of 4 First time dining here. Service was patient with us. Food was very good and we had a nice time.Special Features:
- Fantastic Sunday Tasting MenuKristenVIPDined on 2/16/2014This is the second time that we've tried Pumpkin's Sunday tasting and it didn't disappoint. Every course was terrific...with a choice of appetizer, main entree and dessert...and additional soup and cheese courses added to the mix. The service was attentive without feeling rushed and the restaurant is intimate, but doesn't feel crowded. It was so good, we're going back in a couple of weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BYO, Tasting Menu, and Fab Decorjav206Dined on 2/16/2014My husband and I went to Pumpkin for the Sunday Tasting Menu for a delayed Valentine's meal. What a GREAT choice! Pumpkin is a very small, but beautifully decorated BYO. Reservations are highly recommended, especially for the Sunday tasting menu. This is the best deal around for the quality and amount of food that you receive. The food was full of flavors and cooked to perfection. We were so very happy to have found this place and highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just GreatDessertFirstVIPDined on 2/14/2014Excellent Meal and fantastic service. Wondeful BYOB Would highly recommend PumpkizSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/13/2014First time dining at Pumpkin and it was very good. Very small place but very charming. Perfect for a couple. Dinner portions are not very big. On the smaller side but very fresh and high quality. The only complaint we had was the expense of dessert-ESPECIALLY for how TINY it was. Other than that, we will return again but will hold off on dessert unless price goes down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of Town Guests Wowed By PumpkinREBTDoctorVIPDined on 2/8/2014Good friends visited from out of town recently and I brought them to Pumpkin in order to show them just how good the food can be in Philadelphia. I wanted a SURE thing. Ian Moroney pulled out all the stops as the appetizers, entrees, and desserts were exquisitely prepared. We enjoyed the parsnip soup, beet salad, scallop crudo, garganelli, and grilled pork terrine for appetizers. Each appetizer was fresh and memorable. For entrees we ordered the culotte steak, cousselet, and monk fish with mussels. Everyone in our party was thoroughly satisfied by the meal. My friends marveled at the quality of the meal in such a small BYOB. If you too wish to leave an impression with your friends then I strongly suggest you make a reservation at Pumpkin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfect!DCfoodieDined on 2/8/2014I had a wonderful experience at Pumpkin- delicious food and excellent service. I was visiting from the DC area and I am rarely disappointed in Philly restaurants! We had the grilled bread with goat cheese spread, butternut squash stew with scallops and fish and mussels and finished with the malted chocolate dessert- heaven!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A South Street GemprixfixefanDined on 2/7/2014Great romantic little spot. We loved the intimacy of the dining space. The food is fresh and peppered with classics. Prices are incredibly reasonable (under a $100 and we got 4 courses). Well worth a return trip. Need to know: BYOB, Cash only. Need to eat: Menu changes, but never ignore the chef's additions to the menu for the day. Pot de creme on the dessert menu is to die for. This place has been open for 10 years, and I can't believe I've only just found out about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitorOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 2/5/2014Small intimate dining room with attentive yet not overbearing staff who were knowledgeable about the menu, spot on with silver service, and perfect with our (BYO) wine. We paid $55 per head for appetizer/salad, entrée and dessert and coffee. I have to say that the service and food was worth every penny if not more. The attention to local and in season was evident, and the chef and staff did a great job presenting it. The ingredients were front and center, which is the great when the ingredients were as good as these. I look forward to returning as the season changes. Parking is easy in the lot across the street if you're coming from the burbs as we did.Special Features:
- awesome!!!!!phillyDined on 2/2/2014We had never been there before but went during restaurant week. My husband loved it soooo much that we went again the following night. He only wanted to repeat his experience. I on the other hand ordered different dishes and still had an amazing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014I never expect much when it comes to restaurant week and actually booked this reservation not knowing they were participating. But the food was absolutely amazing - far beyond my expectations. Will definitely go back when it's not restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, again!Sufjan89VIPDined on 2/1/2014This place is my go-to spot for special occasions with my girlfriend. Anniversary, Christmas, date night... We love how creative and delicious the food is, plus it's BYOB. The hardest part about going here is snagging a reservation.Special Features:
- Excellent little spotPhillyJZDined on 1/31/2014My girl and I went for restaurant week and the food was outstanding. The dishes were unique, fresh and seasonal. The restaurant week selections catered towards traditional to slightly adventurous taste buds. The staff was attentive and on point, and the restaurant itself is small and rustic. We really enjoyed ourselves and would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint Environment, Good FoodVanntasticVIPDined on 1/31/2014My sister and I dined here for Restaurant Week. It is a quaint, welcoming environment. Service is attentive but not intrusive. My favorite dish of the night was the Garganelli. It was out of this world!! The Lamb Ragout and Pecorino were a surprisingly tasty combination. I also enjoyed my Culotte Steak and Almond Financier. My sister enjoyed all of her courses as well, especially the Rainbow Trout. I will surely return!Special Features:
- Great FoodPartyof2Dined on 1/31/2014I dined at pumpkin with my boyfriend. The place is very small and intimate. That being said, you are going to be very close to the table next to you but then again it is Philly so a lot of restaurants are like that. Though we went for restaurant week, the food was top notch quality. I had the cauliflower soup and my partner had the lamb ragout. Both were very good. Then we had the pork three ways and the steak. Again both very good. The portions are modest but that is almost kind of nice. I didn't leave feeling horribly stuffed like usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitLuvgoodfoodDined on 1/28/2014A real Restaurant Week surprise. Great food and a new gem to add to my list of favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!camuro123Dined on 1/26/2014One of the highlights of our weekend visit to Philadelphia was our delicious dinner at Pumpkin. We had read about what a bargain their Sunday night prix fixe dinner was and they were right. Our food was interesting without being pretentious and everything was perfectly cooked and delicious. My only problem is that they aren't located in my home state!Special Features:
- Food was excellent and theJRocks888VIPDined on 1/26/2014Food was excellent and the service was fantastic. The only down fault is that it was really tiny inside. But seems like everything we ordered was just great.Special Features:
- Excellent againOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/22/2014My wife and I went to Pumpkin for Restaurant Week, and it was excellent as always. We have been there a few times and have never been disappointed. Our meal started with the cauliflower soup and the garganelli with lamb ragout. Both were delicious. For entrees, we had the rainbow trout and culotte steak. Both were perfectly cooked and seasoned. Dessert was the almond financier (cake) and the malted milk pot de creme. Both were great, but the pot de creme stole the show. The service was very professional, and the small restaurant never made us feel like we were crammed into the space. We will definitely be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pumpkin was a HitLeelaDined on 1/18/2014Pumpkin was delicious - though the restaurant is small, it gave it a great, personalized ambiance, and the food was fresh, yet simple, and really well prepared. The service was great too. I would definitely go back, and I found myself telling people about the experience as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Pre-Fixe MenuTDiddyDined on 1/12/2014I went for the Sunday pre-fixe dinner with a date. BYOB makes it a bit more affordable. The portions here are pretty small, but 5 courses for 40 bucks is hard to beat. After the 5 courses you are at the perfect level of satisfaction. Standout dishes: short rib ravioli, celery root soup, butterscotch/bourbon raisin dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is the starmeatballDined on 1/12/2014This is a small place which executes very well. I tried the Sunday prix fixe menu for $40. Each diner chose an appetizer, main, and desesert from two options each. In addition, each diner was served a soup course and cheese course. Every dish was fresh, tasty and well-presented. The menu options included fish and meat selections. I would return again and I know I will get a different meal based on available ingredients. I like this concept. Make sure to bring cash and your favorite bottle as this place is cash only and BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing food, quaint setting - BYOBpartyof4Dined on 1/12/2014The Sunday 5 course prix fee menu for $40 is an amazing deal considering you can bring your own wine. The attention spent on the quality and presentation of the food is enough to keep us coming back. Service has always been attentive and friendly but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerTheNewObserverDined on 1/11/2014My wife's been wanting to go back for ages, so we used her birthday as the excuse. It's BYO, so bring the best wine you can afford, because you'll have to in order to keep up with the food...it is simply superb. Not cheap, but not overpriced. You need to book early for weekends as it's a small place. It's cozy bordering on cramped, and the group of 6 near us were pretty boisterous, but every dish we had was amazing. Polenta with mushrooms unlike any I've had...light and creamy and so much flavor. A cream of celery root soup that was liquid heaven. Just go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/11/2014The food is great and everyone works in the restaurant has great attitude and will definitely go back for more good food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too little for too much...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2014a decent scene. good looking restaurant, but maybe i'm a bit old school when i say there needed to be a bit more food! well-prepared and nice presentation though.
- Blown Away... AgainSarckVIPDined on 12/31/2013This was our second time at Pumpkin and it was just as good (if not better) than the first. We reserved for New Year's, which can be an iffy night full of mediocre food and rushed service. But not here. The food was stellar, plentiful, and reasonably priced. Service was great, menu options were all appealing, and we stayed as long as we needed. It's small and can be loud but so worth it. Try the Sunday night prix-fixe for a little taste of heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.