1713 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pumpkinphilly.com/
- Phone: 2155454448x
- Hours of Operation:
(last seating at 10:00pm)
Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban's
"Top 5 favorite New American BYOB's".
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ian Moroney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Join us for your next event! Intimate setting, wonderful food and caring staff. Can accommodate up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Hillary Bor 2155454448x
- Special Events: Join us EVERY Sunday for our $40 five course prix fixe menu.
A word from Pumpkin BYOB
Celebrating our 10th year! Hillary & Ian welcome you to their intimate 26 seat BYOB featuring a daily changing seasonal menu. Our Sunday $40 five course prix fixe menu is available all year long. Awarded 3 bells from Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Pumpkin BYOB - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Pumpkin BYOB reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)neighborhood gem (74)romantic (52)special occasion (45)good for groups (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Outstanding foodSmeeDined on 5/28/2014Flavors excellent and not mundane. Everything was well-prepared and served. Menu a bit limited, but still enjoyed the meal very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 706 reviews are from the Pumpkin BYOB reviews archive.
- Wonderful!MaggieMay25VIPDined on 5/24/2014We ordered the 'snack' of sheep's milk with salsa verde served with grilled bread. It was tangy and tasty! Then had seared scallops as app. Seared to perfection! We both had the Berkshire pork rib."Berkshire pork is a heritage breed of pig, which was discovered over 300 years ago in Berkshire County in the United Kingdom. Berkshire pork is renowned for its richness, texture, marbling, juiciness, tenderness and overall depth of flavor." Amazing! It was served over polenta. For dessert, the goat's milk cheesecake and the melted pot de creme, both delicious. Menu changes monthly, and created using seasonal and local finds. A true gem! Service was outstanding as well! It's a byob, cash only. Quaint and moderate noise level.Special Features:
- Delightfulhappy2eathereVIPDined on 5/22/2014First time back in a million years. Exceeded all expectations. Food was amazing from start to finish. Our server felt like an old friend by the end of the night. Super experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KINDrJoeyDined on 5/20/2014Always enjoy the menu. Since it changes daily it is always a pleasant surprise to see what I will be selecting for dinner.Special Features:
- A Perfect MealREBTDoctorVIPDined on 5/18/2014I brought my wife to Pumpkin to celebrate her birthday. It was Sunday so we had the five course Prix Fixe menu. We trully had a perfect meal. Each course was exquisitely prepared. In the interest of space I will limit my comments to the Berkshire Pork Rib course. This piece of pork was outstanding. I savored the flavor of the dish and can assure anyone who enjoys pork that you are in for sheer delight when you go to Pumpkin to have their pork! Philadelphian foodies are lucky to have this neighborhood gem. I can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Always wonderfulTyroneDined on 5/14/2014We have been to Pumpkin twice. Both times have been a memorable evening. Food, wait staff, ambiance, etc. always spot on. One of my Philly faves. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite tastesgregmDined on 5/10/2014I shared three appetizers and a side. They were a delight both for the eye and the palate - ample but not overwhelming in size. Desert was equally impressive. When we arrived we were sitting next to a loud group of six - soon to leave. After they left we could again converse. The very small size of Pumpkin (< 30 seats) leaves one open to the possibility of guests at nearby tables who haven't learned how to converse at socially tolerable levels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfying experineceRoseBudDined on 5/10/2014From start to finish, this restaurant did not disappoint. Service was excellent. It is small inside but quaint. The food was outstanding. Can't wait to try it again and sample more of the offerings. Everyhting was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining delightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/8/2014One of the best dinners ever! I'm a foodie and love in dallas where superb restaurants are in excess... But PUMPKIN could beat them all. Beyond delicious and such amazing service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodBlueXVIPDined on 5/7/2014Pumpkin has a great reputation. I thought the food was very good, but there's a lot of competition in Philly. I didn't think they really stood out in this crowd. It was a cute little restaurant, but the tables are so close that you might just eat with your neighbors...
- Pump-kind of nightMoreTHANfoodieDined on 5/4/2014It was my first time trying the sunday night tasting menu and it was a delight! The perfect amount of food with a spectrum of seasonal wonders. Its an energetic, romantic and relaxed space with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a stylish environmentMarcelDined on 5/3/2014Small stylish place with friendly service and great food. On top of it you can bring your own bottle of wine. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- MikeCDined on 5/2/2014On a recommendation from a friend we dined here while visiting Philadelphia on Friday May 2nd. Love that it was BYOB. Restaurant is small and there is limited waiting area so it might be an issue in bad weather. Our food was delicious (I had the duck, my wife the pork) and the service was excellent. The menu changes which is great. Only drawback was not having a steak on the menu, we had brought a nice Cab for the dinner. It paired well with our dishes, but would have been outstanding with a filet. Regardless we'd highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- foodiedudieVIPDined on 4/29/2014A wonderful meal…fresh and seasonal with careful, thoughtful preparation. Small menu, but love the daily produce specials. I haven't been to Pumpkin in a couple of years and like the updated room, but still tiny, quirky and cozy and chef still has it (might be a new one, if I remember correctly??)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome. Fresh farm to tableFoodiephillyDined on 4/27/2014We did the tasting menu and it was a great way to try everything. All if the vegetables were fresh and creatively cooked. Lots of food for $40.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastebud TreatneighborVIPDined on 4/25/2014Everything was so flavorful and a total treat to the tastebuds. Service was wonderful as well. Just wish they took credit cards...Special Features:
- Still Very CreativeJgsjrVIPDined on 4/20/2014Our Pumpkin Dining Experience for Easter Sunday was a real treat. The 5 courses were delicious and very creative it what was offered and how it was prepared. The foks servicing us were Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a tryCPRNDined on 4/16/2014Both the staff and food were delightful! I could not think of a thing to change, everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting menu with creativeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014interesting menu with creative ingredients. Except for the soup, the flavors did not work well together...the food looked good on paper....but did not deliver the satisfaction.
- Top 5 in Philly - Love itBWPhillyVIPDined on 4/12/2014Pumpkin is a wonderful 'little' restaurant. It is the perfect representation of everything right about the BYO scene in Philadelphia. A beautiful small restaurant with exceptional food. The menu us "limited" (4x main course dishes), but my wife and I were disappointed we couldn't order all 4. they do a terrific job with their food. This is my 3rd time there and each time has been very special. One of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth you time and money. Yummy!EstroVIPDined on 4/9/2014I've heard good recommendation about Pumpkin. I have no idea why I've waited so long until today to go there. It's such a waste I haven't tried this place till now. The food is VERY good. Classic but original. Every bite you take is an experience for you senses. The service was professional, warm and attentive. They always made sure nothing is missing but it didn't feel they're hovering over us. The place is designed beautifully and it contributed to the lovely experience we had thanks to the great service and food. My only recommendation is that the bread (which was tasty on its own but especially tasty with the garlic oil) will be served warm. But that's a small thing to the great flavors we've enjoyed there. I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food tasting menu wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2014The food tasting menu was delicious. We were a party of six and everyone enjoyed it. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Exceptional Farm-to-Table CuisineAndrewVIPDined on 4/3/2014Highly recommended. Quaint and rustic ambience with delicious American fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a little tightCannDined on 3/29/2014You will literally feel like you are having dinner with all the people surrounding you as you will be THAT packed in. But if you know this going in, the food will amaze you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening at this restaurantTRobesDined on 3/28/2014Nice evening at this restaurant but was not wowed by anything!! Menu is too small and selections few (....and I didn't expect a diner menu!!). Service was too business-like and not people friendly. Dessert was great!! Best thing about Pumpkin is that it is a BYOB. Wish more good restaurants in Phila. were BYOB.
- BYOBSeriousFoodieVIPDined on 3/27/2014A very small space and way to loud to have much conversation. The food was goid but some of the parings I thought were odd and just siddent work.Special Features:
- Side vegs a work of artOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014The striped bass and scallops were also perfectly prepared, but the accompanying vegetables were a collage of marvelous favors and colors: raw and pickled morsels of carrot, nasturtium and sorrel leaves, delicately grilled cauliflower. A culinary work of art. This is the most impressive place I've been in a long time. Exquisite attention to detail without pretension.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningRitaDined on 3/26/2014I loved this restaurant. I had an excellent vegetarian meal. One of the best I've had.Special Features:
- A tiny gemMDFoodiesVIPDined on 3/20/2014We absolutely loved out dinner at Pumpkin. My husband loved the dinner bread special, grilled Italian bread and with a rich ricotta spread and an entre that was a take off on cassoulet with baked beans, a duck leg, sausage, and meaty pork rib, with some king of bacon topping. He was in heaven. I enjoyed the mushroom salad special and the Butternut squash Romesco seafood stew. Both were excellent. While I thought the mushrooms were tasty and beautifully prepared, I question whether they were crimini as described. They seemed like regular button mushrooms. They were quite tasty none-the-less. Service was very good. We would go back to Pumpkin without question.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another outstanding mealcuffthisVIPDined on 3/18/2014This was my 2nd time dining at Pumpkin and it was excellent again. I brought my chef/sommelier friend with me and we both commented on the quality of everything. The dishes were beautifully plated and the flavors were complex. The pricing was very fair. Our server was very friendly and knew the menu incredibly well. I highly recommend Pumpkin. It is a gem.Special Features:
- Best in Classdavek50Dined on 3/15/2014An outstanding place, exquisite food. The very best scallops and pork chops I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectMauriceDined on 3/14/2014As always, very creative menu. Never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shhh... Keep this place OUR secret!epicurasVIPDined on 3/14/2014What a wonderful little gem that needs to be kept just as it is: Wonderfully unassuming ~ and pure scrumpdeliociousness! Admittedly a tiny restaurant with a limited menu ~ but who cares if every bite is pure delight... As a BYOB restaurant, the chef and staff have more time to focus on what's important, the food. While many restaurants have to rely on the 200% booze mark-ups to get by, Pumpkin succeeds by being authentic with the quality of food and impeccable service to shine. Stand-outs? The pork terrine was to die for; the cassoulet's duck confit and smokey ribs ~ OMG. You'll want to roll in the desserts after you taste them. Just be sure to bring two (or three...) of your BEST bottles of wine. This food will stand up to it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic time at Pumpkin!jmau307Dined on 3/14/2014The food was great - very flavorful and fresh - and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodPeterDined on 3/13/2014I have dined at Pumpkin several times both early and late. The food is always innovative, fresh and interesting. Excellent value, good service, you never feel rushed even if you suddenly realize you are the only table there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pumpkin has been around foreatoutVIPDined on 3/9/2014Pumpkin has been around for years - all well deserved. Menu is diverse and interesting; food is attractively presented and excellent. A definite keeper.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youDonatoDined on 3/6/2014We had an issue about a year ago with a reservation and we never rescheduled. When our bill came yesterday they took something off the bill because of what happened then. I couldn't belive they remembered, it made my night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CozyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/6/2014This place is very good for small groups (2-4 people; would be a bit too crowded for larger groups); I went with a friend to celebrate getting a job offer. Love the garlic oil (that has an actual piece of garlic in it) that goes with the bread before the meal - the bread could have been warmed up before being served though. Scallops for appetizer; steak and bass for entree. We'll definitely remember to bring our own bottle of wine next time!Special Features:
- AAAAzeeeVIPDined on 3/5/2014A really wonderful dining experience: delicious food, beautifully presented in an inviting room with impeccable service. 'Nuf said?Special Features:
- Outstanding !leo30thVIPDined on 3/1/2014What an amazing dinner experience, from start to finish! The food was outstanding, the service impeccable and friendly, and the ambience wonderful! It was our first time at this restaurant but it is now one of our favorites!!Special Features: