50 West 77th St.
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.scalettaristorante.com/
- Phone: 2127699191x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm-10:30pm, Sunday 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Omer Grgurev
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Upon request only
A word from Scaletta Restaurant
Located on the west side across from Central Park and the Museum of Natural History. Tasty Northern Italian specialties and on-site pastry chef's masterpieces. Scaletta Ristorante is a "must eat" for anyone who enjoys fine dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scaletta Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (47)special occasion (27)good for groups (22)romantic (18)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Went to museum of naturalOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/18/2014Went to museum of natural history and this was a convenient nearby place for an early dinner. Decor is very dated and most of the customers were also. Food was ok, nothing to write home about. Many better options a few blocks south of here.
- Consistently rewardingCitymargotDined on 1/15/2014We have been going here for years, and it continues to maintain its attraction. The food is good, the room is comfortable and the service is always proficient. The demographic of the customer is Upper West Side mature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We go to Scaletta with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/15/2014We go to Scaletta with friends when we want good food in a place where we can have a good conversation without shouting. Tables are far apart and the noise level is civilized. It is always a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is my favorite restaurantTiggerVIPDined on 1/11/2014This is my favorite restaurant in NYC. Food is consistently good. Impeccable service. You can stay as long as you like and never feel rushed..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okaysea2questDined on 1/11/2014It was okay. Food okay, ambiance okay, service okay. Just wasn't really wowed by anything though. Food was actually a little bland. Had the Minestrone Soup, Tri-color Salad, Fish special. Dessert was really really good...Tiramisu.Special Features:
- an old favoriteMichaelVIPDined on 1/4/2014I've loved this restaurant for decades. With its large round tables, t's a wonderful place to come with a group of friends or colleagues. The staff is marvelous.Special Features:
- Very mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/31/2013The restaurant is quiet and the service was good, but the food is very mediocre and ordinary.
- NYE 2013JkbartenderDined on 12/31/2013Came for dinner before a concert at the beacon on New Year's Eve. Was unaware there was only a price fix menu but it was New Years so no problem. First course bake clams and a ravioli in brandy sauce. Both were good. Then a small Caesar salad was ok. My girlfriend had the chicken palliard which was ok. I ordered the red snapper which I believe was actually tilapia. Either way it wasn't very good. For almost $80/person the menu could have been better.
- Family FavoriteSteveDined on 12/31/2013We have scheduled many birthday parties and other celebrations here over the years. The restaurant never disappoints. A warm, friendly place with great food and fast, unobtrusive service. Everybody is a real pro.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not only is the food veryENJOYVIPDined on 12/27/2013Not only is the food very good, one can have a decent conversation without having to raise your voice. The space between tables makes this restaurant unique.Special Features:
- Step Down and into the PastpetluvDined on 12/24/2013A short flight of steps brings you into a softly lit, hushed, elegant space that recalls the days when restaurants cared about making dining a lovely experience, not a noisy free-for-all, where the food being eaten loses out to the people being seen. The cuisine--Italian/Continental--is well prepared and beautifully presented. If perhaps not the most imaginative menu you will find in the city, everything is consistently fine, which is rare in the current restaurant culture, where chefs and dishes shift on what can seem like a daily basis. Scaletta's owners have wisely resisted turning it into a trendy hot spot, which would undoubtedly mean the end of its well deserved reputation as a lovely, warm venue in which to enjoy a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence in fine dininggoodeatsDined on 12/22/2013We always enjoy the gentility of Scaletta -- fine dining in the Italian sense of excellence in customer service and delicious food. We like everything about it -- from the white table linens to the soft music to the attentive-but-not-in-your-face waiters. And the food is reliably delicious. If you are looking for a romantic and genteel place to take your favorite person or group, Scaletta is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably goodSecondvisitVIPDined on 12/20/2013We had another great meal. Prosecco to start. Shared salad-arugula with provolone,yum! Chicken special with prosciutto for me and linguine with scampi for my husband. Both were properly prepared, delicious and nice size portions. Too full for dessert. Service was comfortably solicitous. We are never disappointed at Scaletta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- save room for dessert!UrbanGladiatorDined on 12/16/2013The quiet and comfortable atmosphere makes table conversation pleasant. Food is consistently good as is the service. Desserts are always worthy of a splurge! My family loves to meet here and have a fun visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely spot with good foodc3mfDined on 12/15/2013I brought a party of 11 and was impressed with the way the service was tailored to a large group. The waiter made suggestions for appetizers and salads for the entire table and was receptive to our choices. The three pasta appetizer was especially good. It was quiet enough for us to talk across the table and hear each other without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a large group...14OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/15/2013We were a large group...14 people. They had no trouble accommodating us. The waiter suggested starting us off with a tasting plate of pastas and a salad. Excellent suggestion! They were delicious! Everyone then ordered from the menu and there were rave reviews from all. Service was quick and efficient. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. very Italian.connecticutyankeeDined on 12/13/2013great food. very Italian. service was fine. good value for a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old timey red sauce jointOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/12/2013friendly staff, below street level dining room- white tableclothes, tasty Italian American food. They allowed a guest in my party to order something not on the menu that they'd had years previously. It was appreciated. Not a slick place, but solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemMareDined on 12/11/2013It is a pleasure to find a restaurant with great food that is elegant and quiet enough to have a real discussion with people. Rarely crowded, one often finds celebraties dining there, perhaps because they know they will not be disturbed. Service is friendly and attentive without being overbearing and the wine list is appealing and affordable. Not sure if it is handicapped accessable since you go down stairs to enter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet on UWSFrogdocVIPDined on 12/4/2013Scaletta is that island of solitude that is rare in NY. Why not cutting edge cuisine, it is good, dependable and "grown up." The ability to sit and eat AND talk is so rare in NYC. Throw in excellent service and you have an UWS winner!Special Features:
- Our second visit. Solid well-doneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/30/2013Our second visit. Solid well-done old style Italian food. Not cheap but It' a decent price considering its Upper West Side, NYC. I think the average age of a diner in the place was in their 60's.Special Features:
- Over ratedStevenVIPDined on 11/28/2013Thanksgiving dinner was overpriced, poor quality and the service was rushed and unfriendly. We were rushed in and out. The entire thanksgiving meal was done in an hour and was so over priced. I felt totally ripped off. We will never go back.
- I love the old world ambianceFavoriteDined on 11/22/2013I love the old world ambiance of this place. Food is good, service attentive and you can actually have a conversation with your companions because of the carpeting, acoustic ceiling and generous spacing of the tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater StopRichDined on 11/13/2013We were going to the Beacon theater and looked for a spot nearby. The menu was intriguing so we gave it a try. We arrived at 6PM and since it was an early meal, the restaurant had few diner's and was quiet. I'm a big eater so the entree was a bit small but very tasty. My wife was extremely satisfied. I had a mousse desert that was excellent too. The only disappointment was no beer on tap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS OUTSTANDING!ScalettaDined on 11/9/2013We have been frequenting Scaletta's for many, many years. It never fails to please! THe food and the service are ALWAYS OUTSTANDING! Everything on the menu is worth mentioning but my personal favorite is the Rack of Lamb..rare! A terrific wine list that, although limited on inexpensive selections, is sure to contain something that will nicely accompany every entree and app. Scaletta's is pricy but the value is there! We now live in Massachusetts but try to get to Scaletta's for dinner every time that we visit NYC. Try it..you will be back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I found this restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2013I found this restaurant in Zagat. It was a bit out of the way for us, but it sounded like what I wanted--a neighborhood restaurant with good food and service. I was not disappointed. If I get back to the "city," this restaurant will be high on my list again. So glad to find this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Sure What we were getting intoLauraDined on 10/26/2013When we arrived early for our dinner reservation and saw a stark restaurant, we were a bit worried until we realized that it had just opened. We were warmly greeted by the owner and he made us feel very welcome. We had a cocktail & were shown to a lovely corner table. Quickly the crowd began to come in and fill all the tables. Our waiters were attentive and everything could be customized to your liking. From the appetizers, through the entrees and dessert-which we got too many of because they looked so good-the food was beautifully prepared and presented. We all had something different & were all comparing how good it was. Service remained attentive throughout the meal and we never had to ask for more water or look for someone to help! YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An adult dining experience.Bir34Dined on 10/24/2013An adult dining experience. Quiet, good food, very decent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a FavoriteFoodIssuesDined on 10/24/2013Scaletta is a marvelous choice for getting together with old friends. The food is top-notch classic Italian and the staff makes it easy to accommodate lots of different food allergies so that everyone can be accommodated. The best thing, however, is that it is easy to hear your own dinner table conversation (and not everyone else's).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLeeBVIPDined on 10/12/2013Lovely restaurant with a great staff a wonderful food! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- central ohio couple in manhattanoldbballplayerDined on 10/12/2013Lucky find for us on upper west side. 3 long blocks from our hotel but easy to walk to. You do have to ask about wines by the glass--not shown on wine list. Good team approach by restaurant crew. Great saturday night dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem!Luv2travelDined on 10/11/2013Found Scaletta Ristortante on Open Table. Our group of four was looking to dine at an Italian restaurant before a concert at the Beacon Theatre. I had made 5:00PM reservations. Unfortunately, we got tied up in Friday afternoon traffic and called Scaletta to advise that we would be 15-20 minutes late. The person who answered the phone was so polite and told us not to worry that a late arrival would be just fine. Finally, we arrived at 5:20PM. The entire Staff was extremely accomodating and quite professional from the moment we walked in the door. The wine, appetizers, dinner and dessert were WONDERFUL! The service was OUTSTANDING from start to finish! Two of us had Veal Parmesan and two enjoyed Lasagna with a Veal Sauce. A++ all around!Special Features:
- Surprisingly good!Gary11577VIPDined on 10/5/2013We made a recent visit as this is close to the Beacon theater. An old-world atmosphere, with a bit of seediness in the rest room and the coat check areas. The waiter staff was swift, numerous and helpful. Special requests were met with smiles. The food was excellent - served just the way we ordered. The veal scaloppini was generous, tender and delicious! Though we passed on the dessert cart (now that's old world!) we heard from others it was amazing, and the pastry chef was worthy of awards. A great value - we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veal is to die for...SlabbyVIPDined on 10/5/2013I rarely eat veal, maybe once every other year. I went into Scaletta's and decided, today was the day to eat veal. I am so glad I picked the Veal Parmesan because it was to die for... the best I've ever eaten. My girlfriend also ordered it and she never eats veal and she loved it too. If you go to Scaletta's, please order the veal parmesan it is the best in the city.Special Features:
- ScalettaRobertDined on 9/27/2013Excellent food and service. A bit stodgy in terms of clientele, but a great neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It doesn't get better thanRegularsVIPDined on 9/21/2013It doesn't get better than Scaletta. Fred Gurgurev runs a high caliber dining establishment.Special Features:
- On the house? Not exactly!BreadeaterDined on 9/21/2013The food here is always good, but the service is spotty sometimes. For instance, our waiter disappeared for the longest time before we were even able to ask for the check -- and no one else came over even though I was looking around and trying to flag people down. None of us wanted dessert, and didn't order any, even though it was my mother's birthday (we needed to leave). Then they came out with a piece of chocolate cake for her and sang "Happy Birthday." I thought that was a very sweet and generous touch. Until we got the bill. They charged us $9.00 for that piece of cake which no one ordered!! I've never experienced that before in any restaurant and was pretty stunned. I'll think twice before going there again.Special Features:
- A great find!CookieVIPDined on 9/17/2013Went before a concert at the Beacon....found it on Open Table and absolutely LOVED it!! Randy my server was delightful and the whole experience was great! The food was amazing, I had the salmon and it was seasoned perfectly, I also had an asparagus appetizer topped with crumbled hard boiled egg which was probably the best asparagus I've ever had! The desert cart was everything you would want in the "sweets" category...I will definitely go back~Special Features:
- Old fashionedgoodenoughtoeatVIPDined on 9/13/2013We ate last night at this rather overpriced italian restaurant. The cappricio salad at 14 dollars was way OVERPRICED using thin sliced regular tomatoes, not heirloom. 3 small pieces of mozzarella...A rip off... The main dishes were overprice but ample and good. I will have to think about coming back again
- While no outstanding in anyhostessDined on 9/11/2013While no outstanding in any particular way, except for its low noise level, we found Scaletta to offer a very pleasant experience all around. ,Special Features: