50 West 77th St.
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.scalettaristorante.com/
- Phone: 2127699191x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm-10:30pm, Sunday 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Omer Grgurev
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Upon request only
A word from Scaletta Restaurant
Located on the west side across from Central Park and the Museum of Natural History. Tasty Northern Italian specialties and on-site pastry chef's masterpieces. Scaletta Ristorante is a "must eat" for anyone who enjoys fine dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scaletta Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)special occasion (26)good for groups (21)romantic (16)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Lovely eveningbethscDined on 4/25/2014We celebrated my husbands 64 th birthday here. Spent the day at the museum of natural history and wanted a restaurant that was nice and also close to the museum. Well we got both. There were 7 of us and everyone enjoyed their entire meal. It was not loud, there was space between tables, the service was not intrusive and pleasant. We have definitely placed this restaurant on our listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodbinkman3Dined on 4/21/2014Reliably excellent local restaurant. My book club meets there once a month as we value the low noise level, the spacious surroundings, the quality of the food, and the courteous service by professional waiters as opposed to ambitious young actors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, relaxed, comfortableVeterandinerDined on 4/18/2014My family and I have been going to Scaletta's for almost as long as the restaurant has been in business. The owners and staff are friendly, and the décor is quietly elegant. We have never had a poorly prepared dish, and everything is served promptly and hot. The wine list can be pricey, but there are many bottles in the mid-range that are really fine selections. We recently brought friends from Indiana to the restaurant for dinner and they loved the seafood pasta. The rack of lamb was cooked to perfection, as was my veal sorrentina. All in all, an excellent, relaxing and quiet place to dine.Special Features:
- Big apple dinning.SonnyDined on 4/18/2014An enjoyable dinner, clean, quite, service and food was excellent.Special Features:
- Disappointing service wasRSwsDined on 4/5/2014Disappointing service was poor. Was told it was because they had a big party in the back. Would not go back
- Nothing about this restaurant2nickelsVIPDined on 4/4/2014Nothing about this restaurant makes you feel like you are having a New York City experience. I think my husband and I were the youngest customers and we're mid 50s. We live in the neighborhood an have for over a decade and thought we should try it. We won't again.
- We love ScalettaNickyDined on 4/3/2014Consistently, a great place! We have been eating here for years on many occasions. It is fairly consistent. The food is always good. Sometimes, they can get a bit overloaded and the service is a bit backed up but they more than make up for it with their charm and good will.Special Features:
- Great Classic and Classy DiningFoodEDined on 3/26/2014We had the most wonderful dining experience here. The service, the ambiance, the choices and the food was absolutely superb. I can't wait to go back. It is one of those restaurants you cherish and are hard to find today since every new restaurant seems to have to be servicing eclectic/nouveau cuisine. I highly recommend Scaletta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Past into presentCaroleVIPDined on 3/26/2014I really like the ambience, warm feelings, and comfort of great food, relatively quiet time, a sense you are welcome, and all around a memory of past into present sense at Scaletta. The food was excellent and plentiful. Prices are a little high, and could be more moderate for people on fixed incomes, but I enjoyed the whole experience again. I had a big birthday party here 13 years ago and felt it was "old world" comfort all around. Keep it up but lower your prices a little.Special Features:
- Great restaurantEaterDined on 3/20/2014Excellent food,. Huge wine selection and you can get glasses instead of bottles. Great atmosphere; can be romantic or a group. There were several groups there when we arrived and it was lovely. You'll probably have about 10+ servers but they're all good, just good luck getting any names and knowing which one will serve what.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely place to dine and converseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014We have enjoyed many evenings with friends at Scaletta's where the food is excellent and the ambience quiet and inviting for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been going there forTiggerVIPDined on 3/16/2014I have been going there for more years than I can remember. It is always perfection. The only negative is that there are stairs to go down to the entrance, but they are always very kind about having someone bring my walker down and take it up afterward. Once there, the bathroom is on the same floor. Wonderful place for conversation, no rush, quiet, impeccable service, food is unfailingly good, they cater to fussy eaters (for me, no garlic or onions in an Italian restaurant!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/15/2014I went with my daughter and her boyfriend about 2 weeks ago and we had a wonderful meal with lovely service. I wanted to bring my husband back and so we went this past Saturday evening. It began well enough, but went downhill...our server forgot to put in one order, then after apologizing profusely for his error, he then only came back once to check on our meal, never poured our wine or water, and we waited for nearly 20 minutes for them ( bus boys) to clear our dinner plates, and then another 10 before asking ( again bus boys) if we wanted dessert, which by that time we declined. My husband was not impressed, and I wondered how in the span of 2 weeks a restaurant could be so different.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to meet.RemitaturVIPDined on 3/14/2014Nice place to meet. Ambiance good and people friendlySpecial Features:
- For Diners Wishing to ConverseNPinBerkshiresDined on 3/8/2014I love Scaletta because people of a certain age can go there with every expectation to hear and be heard at the dinner table. I was tasked with finding a place to meet for dinner with some friends who were in town from Israel and Chicago for our 50th high school reunion and Scaletta seemed like the right choice for a group of people who wanted both to reminisce and to catch up. As always, the service was attentive but not oppressive, and the food was nicely prepared, even if the menu never seems to change. Despite the fact that restaurant week was officially over, the management extended the three-course offer into the weekend, and we were therefore able to have more food for less money than we had expected, which was a bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night groupJLIPP3Dined on 3/7/2014Nine of us had great meals and a wonderful time. Food was excellent, portions right, .Special Features:
- Excellent valuebuildermelDined on 3/5/2014restaurant week choice. good menu with many choices, decent size portions, excellent food, attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- Restaurant WeekLindaVIPDined on 3/5/2014When I made reservations for this restaurant, it was to have easier access to the Beacon Theatre. The bonus was the menu for Restaurant Week, reasonable wine and drinks and the most amazing desserts ever.Special Features:
- Very nice selection for RestaurantnysuDined on 3/5/2014Very nice selection for Restaurant Week. Convenient location to Museum of Natural History, Beacon Theater & Lincoln Center. Great for lunch after exploring Central Park in the spring. Great food ,ambience & service. Don't miss the Deserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dining delightdibbyDined on 2/26/2014Scalettas is as usual a lovely place to dine on good, well prepared food and actually be able to talk to one's table mates. A wonderful NY restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serene and SublimenativenooyorkahVIPDined on 2/26/2014Many dishes plus a good number of specials, and excellent service; and though the place was busy, it was remarkably quiet; this is a great place to relax and enjoy a wonderful dinner. My companion ordered the mixed salad and veal with prosciutto and cheese, and I had the Caprese salad (with excellent mozzarella) and red snapper, with several accompaniments. The dessert trolly had a nice array of choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Restaurant!addictedtofoodDined on 2/25/2014Food was excellent! The salmon, the penne pasta, the desserts, all fabulous! Recommend it all!Special Features:
- The food was excellent, greatENJOYVIPDined on 2/21/2014The food was excellent, great choices for restaurant week. What makes Scaletta so unique is the size of the dining space. Tables are not on top of each other, you can have a private conversation, and also have a fabulous meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian LoveMaineDined on 2/15/2014Scaletta is like the TV show Cheers if you go there often everybody knows your name. The food was delicious and the service was attentive to my needs. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs help from Robert IrvineBlitzerBlitzerVIPDined on 2/14/2014Went here for valentines day with my boo :-) Upon arrival we were told 3 of the 7 entrees were no longer available, and it was only 9:30 on Friday night. My first wine selection, turned out to be unavailable too , upon further inspection. Despite this, the food items that were available tasted really good. Although it was a good restaurant and appeared clean and well spaced out, the decor was reminiscent of a cruise ship dining room. They could probably use a little help redesigning the place and making it a bit more up-to-date. Overall a solid and dependable neighborhood meal, however nothing amazing when compared all of the high caliber NYC restaurants we have to choose from.Special Features:
- Good food, reasonably pricedRenoirVIPDined on 2/14/2014Good food, reasonably priced and a charming manager. Things could improve a bit at the bar though. My wife's choice of drink clearly wasn't available and was substituted for a lower quality brand - which was noticed by her, but denied by the barman. The very charming manager dealt with the matter very well, but not a great start to the Valentine night! We very much enjoyed the food and the table service was good. This is clearly a more formal / traditional restaurant as perhaps befits Central Park West, and next time I may go straight to the table!
- We love Scalettaeric38Dined on 2/14/2014It's our favorite elegant restaurant within a few blocks of our house on W 78 St. Usually quiet; food often somewhat better than Zagat thinks; personable waiters. On this occasion they were offering a special Valentine's Day menu and the dining room was more crowded and noisier than usual, but still less noisy than most other restaurants. The special menu was indeed a cut above their usually quite respectable quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sumptuous ScalettaDocdodgerDined on 2/14/2014Great neighborhood Italian restaurant. Food really good....try the snapper in a light tomato sauce. Great clams, pasta dishes. Service fine....never rushed thru dinner. Large room, noise level extremely tolerable!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molto Benne!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The Italian food at Scaletta's is one of the best, if not the best, on the West Side. And the the home-made rice pudding cake is heavenly! Bravo to all concerned!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good italian foodUWSResidentDined on 2/14/2014Went there for valentine's day dinner and the Vday menu was really good. We had soup and pasta and everything was delicious and very flavory which is the least you could ask for at a restaurant but it's rarely the case in NYC. Desert was a total miss though as the fruit tarte and rice pudding both had a peculiar taste. Service and staff was very attentive, professional and well-dressed. Pricing was very fair and slightly above average. It's more of a neighborhood restaurant for special occasions. It's an old fashion place, with a somewhat dated architecture and interior design that adds to its charm. The crowed was well over 60+. I would recommend Scaletta for special occasions to have a low key and quiet time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- different on weekendsAudreyVIPDined on 2/8/2014we have eaten here many times but always on a weekday. service has always been very good in the past. on our first Sat night as patrons, we were surprised at the poor service we received. the dining room was full and the staff seemed unable to deal with all the tables. the service was VERY slow. however, the food was good and we will return, though probably not on a weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood findmzb1Dined on 2/8/2014This is a wonderful restaurant to enjoy a relaxed, quiet and very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesNanceDined on 2/7/2014This is not our first dining experience at Scaletta. We lived in the city during the 70-80's and have been going back ever since. The food is always wonderfully delicious and they always have specials which makes choosing off the menu very difficult. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I did have their house Chianti and it paired beautifully with my dinner. My husband and I make this a "must eat" location every time we go back into the city. If you have't tried it you should... NancySpecial Features:
- attentive to food allergiesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/1/2014the waitstaff and chef were very helpful to my friend with food allergies. however, my manicotti was gluey and tasteless; my husband's duck was better. The house red wine was excellent and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open spaceTheConstantDinerVIPDined on 1/31/2014It is so delightful to find a good restaurant in NY that is also reasonably priced where there is actually space between tables and you don't have to listen to anyone's dinner conversation other than the conversation at your own table. The wait staff was extremely attentive and overall, the dining experience was wonderful. The restaurant seems to get a more mature crowd and is slightly dated in appearance but it was a nice change not to be slammed up against the city's young and hip generation. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Great variety of classic disheseduardo7VIPDined on 1/20/2014Great variety of classic dishes and interesting variations, too. Fresh and bright flavors. Easy and elegant.Special Features:
- Good foodPMAHADined on 1/18/2014The crab cakes and rack of lamb were on special and were marvelous. Roast duck special was too salty. Rigatoni and broccoli rabe delicious. Wait service, though, not the best. Cold, stale bread was a turn-off. It's better not to serve bread if it is going to be awful like that.Special Features:
- An Old FriendThemusicmavenDined on 1/18/2014I have been going to Scaletta for the past twenty years. It is always a pleasure to be there. The staff is warm and welcoming.The ambience since the renovation is lovely and has a restful feeling. The lighting is just right, NOT too dark. The wait staff is attentive and always available to assist you with anything you need. The quality of the food has gotten better and the portions are ample. While this is not haut cuisine, it is always tasty, well seasoned and nicely presented on the plate. Desserts are always a treat. I recommend this restaurant to anyone that enjoys good food at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An oasis of calmherbieplewsDined on 1/18/2014Yes, there is an alternative to the noisy restaurants that try to pass themselves off as lively. How wonderful to find ourselves in an adult setting where we could actually have a conversation, while enjoying superb cuisine. Waiters were extremely attentive without being intrusive. Great for a special occasion without cashing a CD, although this is certainly not an inexpensive night out. I haven't been to Scaletta in about 20 years but you can be certain that I will be going back there int e near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to museum of naturalOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/18/2014Went to museum of natural history and this was a convenient nearby place for an early dinner. Decor is very dated and most of the customers were also. Food was ok, nothing to write home about. Many better options a few blocks south of here.