Greystone The Steakhouse
658 5th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Greystone The Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.greystonesteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6192320225x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music every Friday & Saturday Night starting at 9:00pm
- Special Events: LIVE MUSIC FRIDAYS & SATURDAYS AT 9pm
A word from Greystone The Steakhouse
Greystone is an independently owned and operated steakhouse located in the heart of downtown San Diego's historic Gaslamp Quarter. We feature aged meat, seafood and pasta with influences from the culinary traditions of Europe, America and the Pacific Rim. To complement our cuisine, Greystone also features an award-winning wine list. Our spacious, multi-level floor plan features a classic yet contemporary decor and a relaxed, cosmopolitan ambiance perfect for entertaining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Greystone The Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (17)notable wine list (15)good for groups (11)fit for foodies (10)romantic (10)great for outdoor dining (7)hot spot (7)neighborhood gem (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Steakhouse?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/7/2013Not quite! If you are looking for a good steak, go to a true steakhouse. Regular choice steaks are served here instead of the usual prime, aged steaks. My NY strip was tough and tasteless. Other salads and sides were good however.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and DinnerLD333Dined on 12/6/2013We went to Greystone for a birthday dinner and it was a perfect time. The service was great and the food was delicious. They made my mom feel special for her birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Thanksgiving DinnerMichaelDined on 11/28/2013I am currently in San Diego and went to Greystone for dinner. I chose the Thanksgiving Dinner. Quality was good. The kitchen was stressed beyond believe with lots of customers. The waiting time between courses was pretty long; however, for I was not in a hurry and staff always was very polite while obviously being stressed out as well as there were quite a view customers not being happy with waiting times. On a regular day, I would probably have rated service only 2 stars, but for this "crazy" evening, I found it still good. Food tasted very good (the Turkey was great) and was hot. So nothing to complain here. I will visit the restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter provided very poorPacedgeDined on 11/28/2013Waiter provided very poor service , made it a very disappointing experience.
- GreystoneDanielDined on 11/23/2013The food is very good, they cooked my NY steak perfectly. The fried calamari are also a must. I would, however, ask for a table outside next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overall ExperienceJimbobDined on 11/23/2013Everything was top shelf. The food was great and the staff was very attentive. We thoroughly enjoyed our romantic birtyhday dinner. We did not expect (or have room for) the birthday dessert the surprised us with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A slice of the good life!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013This restaurant we found by reading reviews since we had not been to the Gaslamp district before. We were very happy with our choice! The fillet minnon was amazing! Everyone working there was very nice! Fun area to walk around and shop too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have eaten their beforetomcarlDined on 11/21/2013We have eaten their before and thought the food was worth the price. Not anymore.
- The food was very good, itsylvetteDined on 11/17/2013The food was very good, it arrived on time, the service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!alexDined on 11/5/2013This place is great! The service was impeccable and food was remarkable. I already booked another reservation and cant wait. . I have been craving the ribeye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is nothing more thanbeckDined on 11/2/2013There is nothing more than I can say that the food,service, and ambiance was amazing! I definitely recommend this place to anyone and everyone. They have a phenomenal wine selection, they accommodate special requests, and my server was personable as well as knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST Steakhouse!victoriaDined on 11/2/2013Came here for dinner on saturday night. I had a wonderful experience. It was very busy but i was seated right away and given the option of the patio or inside. The patio seemed nice for people watching and had heat lamps but the restaurants ambiance was so beautiful I decided to dine inside. They have live music on the weekends. The band that was playing was amazing! It was nice to have live music with dinner. I forget her name but my server was excellent. She was very friendly and helped me choose a great wine that paired nice with my bone in filet. The steak was the best it was extremely tender as a filet should be but also had soo much flavor! Server and busser were both very attentive. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Every Time!pamjbubDined on 10/26/2013When we want an excellent dinner we head to Greystone the Steakhouse ... we are never disappointed! Delightful service/server ... wonderful wine recommendations, too! Meal was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bright spot of the gaslampRedRunnerDined on 10/12/2013This energetic bar, restaurant, live music venue was the place to be Saturday night in the Gaslamp district. The crowd was buzzing and the guitars were strumming. The bar was vibrant with beautiful women and choice libations. The menu was exotic with choices far more than steak: lamb, rabbit, beef, chicken, pasta. My date and I sat romantically side by side in a booth overlooking the chic crowd. The service was excellent and attentive without being intrusive. I will definitely go back when I am in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greystone falls shortWontBeBackDined on 9/28/2013Based on it's "reputation," we deviated from our normal SD steakhouses and gave Greystone a shot. Sadly, it did not live up to its billing. The service was underwhelming for a fast food establishment, let alone this storied steakhouse we heard we simply must try. The busser was twice asked to please not have us lift our arms to remove crumbs from the table, and when our entrees showed up, the appetizer dishes still had not been removed from the table. The final straw came when a friend joined us with a nice bottle of wine he asked be decanted prior to serving. The waiter opened the bottle and immediately poured the wine into our glasses. According to him, Greystones doesn't have a decanter. Manager confirmed only 3 decanters in house
- the service was impeccablesdrose555Dined on 9/27/2013the service was impeccable . Everyone was very friendly All the food was delicious. My pork chop was so juicy and flavorful. My desserts were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Kitchen is OpenChitownRikVIPDined on 9/23/2013This past Monday night our group of 8 got out late from a work function and headed to Greystone around 9:45pm in hopes that they were still serving dinner. We picked them because they are a local and not a franchise. Long story short, they happily accommodated us even though there were only 2 other people in the restaurant at this time on a Monday night and they were beginning to shutdown for the evening. The chef came out and made some recommendations which I latched onto and ordered the bone-in ribeye. All of my colleagues remarked on the great food and service. We will definitely return for dinner the next time we come to San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Client Appreciation Dinnereplanner998Dined on 9/16/2013I took some clients here for a nice steak (they have hefty portions) and the meat is outstanding! This restaurant used to have a tradition where they bring the meat cart out and you can pick which piece of meat you want... they no longer do that and it was rather disappointing. Nonetheless, the food and service was pheonominal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaruantVreoDined on 9/13/2013It is very nice and in the core center of San Diego, pretty nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner in the gaslamp districtBenihanaVIPDined on 9/11/2013My wife and I really liked this restaurant. great location and great service.Special Features:
- I've been to greystone a fewSFGiantsDined on 8/9/2013I've been to greystone a few times and every time the food is delicious. The steak is always cooked to perfection and I've always had good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2013The meal was incredible, but the bill for 4 adults was around $420 (after tip), which includes soup and salad for all, entrees (one surf and turf = $85), desserts for all, and one glass of wine...so the majority of the bill was for food. Everyone loved their food though, so as long as you can afford such a meal, I HIGHLY recommend it!! We had reservations for 5 pm and there was hardly anyone there for the duration of our meal, so hopefully the restaurant survives because we'd love to go back again. The lobster was an entire lobster and it was huge! Recommend the filet with the crab meat...so delicious. Chocolate lava cake is a great way to top it all off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPalmfanDined on 8/7/2013The restaurant is on 5th in the gas lamp. I should've known that's it'd be loud. What was worse is the customer profile. T-shirts, baseball hats. The wines by the glass didn't offer much variety. I recall 8 of 12 being Cabs. This restaurant advertises as a high-end restaurant. The only thing high end about it is the price. The service was the best part of the experience.Special Features:
- Long Time Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2013Great place for a special occasion or just for a great meal. They were great for our Anniversary celebration and we have enjoyed eating there for many years...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fantastic Dining ExperienceComicConBobDined on 7/19/2013The food at Greystone is impeccable. Everything there is cooked perfectly, of the highest quality, and incredibly delicious. The menu is extensive and filled with unusual selections. The servers are very professional. The hostesses are among the most beautiful women in the world--and are happy to be helpful in any way they can--and they pay attention to and remember the customers. I walked in after not being in San Diego for two years--and as soon as I arrived the astounding hostess named Victoria pointed out that she remembered me right off the bat and remembered exactly what she and i had spoken of two years before when I had last been at this restaurant. This was a near-perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden dinner among downtown barsJmendesDined on 7/18/2013I was surprised to find this place as easily as I did. It is literally next to bars I venture to frequently. Little did I know, a yummy steak was hiding inside waiting for me. The food was good, nothing stopped me in my tracks. My friends pasta did just that for her. I was much happier with the capable bar tender. Not the best for people watching angles, but still a nice patio. It's as if they expect you to be interested in the people with you at the table.. weird.Special Features:
- Great seafoodBeachPartyDined on 7/7/2013This was my 2nd visit. Really like the seared tuna, ciopini, and mix seafood appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful gaslight district mealBertDined on 6/15/2013We went to Greystone for our anniversary and it was a wonderful choice. The food was very good, we received very attentive service, and its a very pleasant atmosphere. Most of the gaslight district is very noisy and caters to college age kids, but Greystone is more for a celebration or business meal. The only downside is the valet is a block away which wasn't obvious. We stumbled upon it after pass the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food--Helps if you're Deaf!calbudgieVIPDined on 6/12/2013This place is way too noisy. The music is loud and the tables are close so there is no escaping the noise or hearing your dinner companion. There are hard surfaces everywhere and I even walked around to find if there was someplace that one could escape--there wasn't. The noise level needs to come down and then I will give this place an excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend GetawayWeekenderDined on 6/9/2013Showed up at Happy Hour.... sat outside, couldn't get Happy Hour discounts outside :( Had to sit at bar. Adapted and just left menus on table, went in ordered and sat at bar for a bit (but they put bar bill on dinner tab?-so why have to go inside?) But waiter was very attentive and we ordered our meal while at the bar.... he gave us a notification when about ready and we returned to seats outside. Hostess and bartender very cordial. We left content.... we also left wife's sweater. So thanks to 'Open Table" reservations- they contacted us within 2 blocks, so we were able to retrieve without any real hassle. Very conscientious personnel.Special Features:
- As always we were not disappointed,ThomDined on 6/1/2013As always we were not disappointed, Greystone's was an excellent dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & service.WorkdinDined on 5/29/2013This restaurant was an excellent choice for dinner. Food selections were great and service and food were outstanding. The only drawback was we were seated by two large parties of 10 or more and our group of five found it hard to carry on a conversation as the noise level between tables was not good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The 24oz rib eye steak wasDaddiohDined on 5/26/2013The 24oz rib eye steak was fabulous. I've eaten many quality steaks before but the rib eye was one of the best ever. The service was great and the atmosphere was romantic. Perfect to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Restaurant FailOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2013I consider myself quite a foodie. Greystone is located in the Gaslamp quarters of San Diego, one of the greatest restaurant locations. If it is location you want, Greystone has it. However, our waitress was very rude, lacked people skills, and was very abrasive. It was obvious it annoyed her when we decided not to have any wine with our dinner. When it comes to the food, it really was not that great. There are many other great steak restaurants in San Diego that are less expensive and far superior. If you dont mind traveling to North County, Argyle steak house at the Aviara Resort is amazing. The food is far superior to Greystone, better pricing and far better service. AT GREYSTONE, you pay for LOCATION, not what really matters.Special Features:
- Elk was deliciousDaveDined on 5/18/2013Went there with a party of three before the Saturday night rush. Had the oysters Rockefeller, which were very good. Two ordered Elk and the other the a bone-in filet (special for the night); Elk was delicious, filet was pretty good. Had the Greystone famous fries and asparagus as sides, both were OK. I would go back for the Elk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- comfortable atmosphereCFandTFDined on 5/17/2013The atmosphere was very comfortable and nice with a fireplace on the top floor. Food was very good, however a bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and winewwpnolaDined on 5/5/2013Very friendly and attentive staff - including wait staff and hostesses. the steaks are consistently excellent. the wine list is A-1. a very active restaurant. ask for th 2 top at the end of the bar and you have a great view of the entire restaurant - great for people watching. The Greystone is on my list for a regular stop when I travel to SD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DamedashDined on 5/4/2013The filet mignon was amazing and so flavorful. The best filet I've ever had. Overall, our experience was exceptionl! We will definitly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been here several timesFoodieGagaDined on 4/19/2013We've been here several times and they do a wonderful job with steaks and chops. We had a beef filet and an elk chop, both done just the way we ordered them, and both so large we took lots home for another meal. Good service, nice wine list. But two entrees and a bottle of wine, no appetizers or cocktails, and it will still run you well over $100. You gets what you pays for.Special Features:
- Will be back!!!!!Princess1Dined on 4/13/2013Took my husband to Greystone because some of our Dr's frequent there (our anniversary as well)....Now I know why. Delicious. Everyone was attentive, professional, warm & great!!!! Will definately return!!!! Food was great :)Special Features: