Greystone The Steakhouse
658 5th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Greystone The Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.greystonesteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6192320225x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music every Friday & Saturday Night starting at 9:00pm
- Special Events: LIVE MUSIC FRIDAYS & SATURDAYS AT 9pm
A word from Greystone The Steakhouse
Greystone is an independently owned and operated steakhouse located in the heart of downtown San Diego's historic Gaslamp Quarter. We feature aged meat, seafood and pasta with influences from the culinary traditions of Europe, America and the Pacific Rim. To complement our cuisine, Greystone also features an award-winning wine list. Our spacious, multi-level floor plan features a classic yet contemporary decor and a relaxed, cosmopolitan ambiance perfect for entertaining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Greystone The Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)notable wine list (10)romantic (9)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (7)great for outdoor dining (7)neighborhood gem (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- smilespellfireDined on 1/31/2014Although our waiter was very slow and seemed disorganized when we first for there, he got it together. The meal was great. The beer was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDavidCDined on 1/31/2014Great experience. Outstanding food (filet was delicious), wine was excellent and the service was wonderful. Spouse dinner out as a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Not GreatUSAFoodieVIPDined on 1/25/2014The food was pretty good. Little surprised at the portion size of the potatoes but we'll get over it. The location and atmosphere also great. Service was something you'd find at a quickie breakfast spot. No chit chat. No specials. No set up for a great experience. That was a shame because that would've made the whole experience rated higher.
- average at bestunderwhelmedDined on 1/24/2014The hostesses were nice. The server was competent but no personality. I don't know if it was because of all the hype, but the experience left alot to be desired. Average steak at well above average prices. The highpoint of the night was the tiramisu. With all of the restaurants downtown, I doubt this one will get a second visit.Special Features:
- One of the top Steak House'sRCisepicDined on 1/24/2014Four of us went there for restaurant week, and we LOVED it! The service was great , the food was perfectly prepared, and the environment was fantastic. We got a discounted price because of restaurant week, but we took a look at the regular menu while we were there. It had a great selection, and the wine list was huge! It cost about the same as other Steak Houses in Downtown, so be prepared to spend a bit of money for a dinner and a bottle of wine. I will definitely be going back and would gladly recommend this to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week ......BlondeeDined on 1/21/2014I was in town and it happened to be restaurant week. I had a great meal way below their normal prices. The crab cake was awesome, as well as the sea bass. Waiter was wonderful and helpful. Introduced me to my 'NEW' favorite vodka Ultima ........ it was smooth as silk. This Kettle One girl is now a Ultima girl. Sat outside on the patio which was very nice. The indoor dining was a little big loud for my ideal setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Food Find!JackieDined on 1/20/2014The food was incredible. We went during San Diego Restaurant Week and the service was a bit bogged down but well worth the wait!Special Features:
- A NIGHTMARELisaVIPDined on 1/18/2014We drove down from Orange County to take client's to a GREAT steakhouse. They first brought the wrong appetizer, overcooked one of the steaks, one dinner was cold and was re-heated and too dry to eat. I ordered the lobster bisque soup. It was DARK brown in color and looked more like gravy than soup. It had no lobster and was AWFUL. The waiter asked me if I had been to a restaurant "Blue Points" down the street and said they made it the same way! It was an embarrassing evening and I will never return. A nightmare of an experience!!!!!!
- AmazingCavidVIPDined on 1/17/2014Everything was very good!, excellent service and great food! One of the best places I've been in dtwn San Diego!,Special Features:
- Delish!beckDined on 1/11/2014I've been here many times and always come back. I am a local to San Diego and have the luxury to go to Greystone any time i please. The pork chops are my all time favorite! The mustard demi glaze and the sweet potato mash is unbelievable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Steaks & SeafoodalexDined on 1/11/2014It was pretty easy to impress my date at Greystone. Starting from the hostesses and the bar lounge for cocktails before our meal. I started with there Lobster bisque soup and my date started with there signature greystone salad. For my entree I choice the surf n turf(excellent recommendation) overall delicious food great romantic atmosphere. I highly recommend this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!victoriaDined on 1/11/2014This has become my regular spot. It never ceases to amaze me. Every thing I have ordered is wonderful. My favorite would have to be the ribeye its soo perfectly flavored. Their meats are only flavored with salt and Pepper which is the way it should be because it brings out all the natural flavors instead of putting annoverpowering around of seasons. Not bbc.co only is the food amazing but the staff is fantastic. The employees are very friendly and professional. This is definitely my favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeBrooke6mDined on 12/31/2013Nice Place! Surprised by how many children were there on New Years Eve but they were all well behaved. Food was good, service was very good!Special Features:
- Happy anaversitybigboy63Dined on 12/30/2013My wife and i love San Diego and celebrating our anniversary at Greystone the steakhouse was the topper on a great weekend.Special Features:
- Food was subpar at bestLawyerfirmDined on 12/30/2013This is the first time I have ever reviewed or complained about a restaurant. In this case it is quite obviously a high-end restaurant and you expect high and quality food. My ribeye steak was tough as a boot. The lobster bisque quite frankly is much better at red lobster and has much more lobster in the actual bisque. The service was very good. But I understand now why it was so empty on December 30th which really could be considered a Friday night for all intents and purposes. It is a steakhouse and quite frankly I was surprised that they don't pay attention more to the quality of the meatSpecial Features:
- Christmas dinnervictoriaDined on 12/25/2013I had such a great experience last time I was here I decided to come back. This time I brought my family and we had our christmas dinner here and it was amazing. The service was very attentive and the food was delicious. In down town San Diego there's so many options for restaurants and we definitely made the right choice. We will keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwsomeyweetyDined on 12/25/2013We booked for Christmas Day 2013 and it was great. We drove all the way from Los a Angeles and we're pleased with the service, the menu and the awsome staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service service serviceCharlesDined on 12/25/2013We were given a table outside. Nice since we in San Diego. But it was a chilly night and the host said she would turn the heat on. Beautiful. But no. The heater was broken and from that point Jackie took care of us. She went above and beyond the call of duty. And the manager did as well. We didn't nor were we expecting something but just wanted someone to know the host isn't telling all of the truth about the outdoor seating. We had a wonderful Christmas dinner....Thank you JackieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013We had the most fantastic meal on Christmas 2013. A little pricey, but the food and service were great! The best meal I have ever eaten at a Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out71sailDined on 12/20/2013What a great location in the middle of the gaslamp area great people watching on the patio. Beautiful restaurant not your traditional steak house. Greystone offers some wonderful game meat. I tried the buffalo which was very tender and a little richer flavor than beef great dish. Very extensive wine list with a good selection by the glass and some wonderful craft beers on tap. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. Really enjoyed our dinner will be back again.Special Features:
- Wonderful SteakhouseGreatEaterVIPDined on 12/19/2013Went to the Greystone for our 32 Anniversary. The entire staff was absolutely fantastic, but our server really should be commended for an exemplary job. Very friendly yet efficient in fulfilling all our needs. The Food here was superb. Everything we ordered was cooked perfectly and served at the proper temperature. Highly recommended when in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining experience ever!AshleyDined on 12/17/2013My husband and I had date night here and boy oh boy was it beyond my expectations! Everything blew us away from the friendly bartender to the succulent steaks!! The manager even came by to check on us mid dinner. We will absolutely return again and again!Special Features:
- Happy happy happy!!!!AmoreinvinoDined on 12/15/2013My girlfriend and I like different food I like steak she like seafood so we decided to go to Greystone, wright choice!!!! First we shared the tuna tartare very very good , for main my girlfriend had the sea bass from chile also very good and very fresh, I had the Elk chop from the suggestion of our waiter, never had elk before now I am a lover I can't stop talking about it . He also pair our meal w a fabulous Oregon Pinot noir the perfect match to our different dishes, for dessert we had the cream brûlée very silky and good .stopped at the bar for an after dinner drink and Rob the bartender made a superb espressotini . Food outstanding , service outstanding , my girlfriend very happy = my life perfect ,thanks Greystone will be back soon !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak and lobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2013We where recommended to go to greystone when looking for a fine dining restaurant in the gaslamp. We where finding a lot of corporate chain restaurants or loud watering holes . We where pleasantly surprised to see greystone was neither when we arrived! We where greated by a bubbly , friendly hostess who gave us the option to sit on the outdoor patio or inside by a fireplace. The restaurant was decorated for Christmas inside and was really wa and inviting. The service was very good, and helpful not only about ffod and wine. Wine list was very impressive and the waiter was extremely helpful in helping us narrow done a selection . We chose buffalo and lamb for dinner which where both great. Overall , s great experience. We will recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back soon!theNewlocalsDined on 12/14/2013Greystone steakhouse is our new favorite spot on the Gaslamp! Dinner was delicious, the cioppino was the best I've tasted in San Diego and my husbands bone-in filet was simply melt in my mouth amazing!! Everything cooked to perfection! The service was top notch also, very professional and courteous. Our food arrived promptly and our glasses were never left empty! And have I mentioned what an outstanding wine list they have!! Overall our experience couldn't have been better, we even got to finish it all off with after dinner drinks at the bar (the house specialty, the Greystone espresso martini is a must have!), dancing to the music of their live band! What an awesome night, can't wait to be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good! Service was PERFECT.AmandaMacDined on 12/14/2013We spent a date night out, at Greystone's. The food was so good ~ especially the meatball appetizer (per my husband). Salad was great and the entree was to die for! Great pick by us :)Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2013We are a regular at Fleming's who decided to try someplace new. Being a frugal that I am, when I know there's a coupon to Greystone I decided to give it a try. We went without any high hope, just thinking that hopefully we'll get a decent steak and nice place to sit and enjoy the craziness that is Gaslamp. The food arrived promptly, my husband's steak was cooked perfectly done and it is aged well. Mine was a "Kobe" flat-iron steak with blue cheese - it is also very good. Overall, great experience and will definitely come back again with or without coupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingluv2dineDined on 12/14/2013My fiancé took me to this fabulous restaurant last night for my birthday, and it was amazing. We were greeted by these 2 friendly hostess and got seated right away by the fire place in their mezzanine up stairs which I found so romantic. The server was very attentive and professional, the food was to die for, my steak was cooked to perfection, I loved their mac and cheese. Because it was my birthday, they surprised me with a beautiful dessert platter, I was speechless, the manager was very nice and made sure that we were happy and that we had a great experience, overall, we had an amazing dinner and a wonderful experience, we will come back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steakhouse on 5thOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013I loved everything about this restaurant. My friends and I came to celebrate her birthday, and the people at Greystone really made her feel special. From the lovely hostesses to our awesome waiter. I had the bone n rib eye, which was outstanding. I will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- felt our meal was rushed -OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/13/2013felt our meal was rushed - salad was terrible - service bad - overpriced
- Never againJohnVIPDined on 12/12/2013Nice looking place...that's where the good news stops....Wedge salad...The lettuce was brown...The head had been frozen, they knew it and decided to serve it anyway. never got to the entree because they forgot about me/it. Waited 45 minutes after I sent back my salad and the entree never came. Paid for my two glasses of wine and lefty....Want a steak in SD, there are many much better places.
- diamond in the ruffmikeDined on 12/12/2013Went to greystone and had an amazing dinner. Could not believe how great the wine list is and how knowledgeable my server was. I had the elk chop it was spectacular. The steak tartar was great too. I can't wait to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced tourist trapOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/10/2013Wife and I decided to give it a try. Steaks were $40-47 each ala carte and were not good at all. Never had a filet so tough. $10 sides, $17 apps, $13 salad...all uninspired. What a colossal waste of money. Honestly, just try a chain like Mortons or Donovans or Flemings. They're way better.
- Steakhouse?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/7/2013Not quite! If you are looking for a good steak, go to a true steakhouse. Regular choice steaks are served here instead of the usual prime, aged steaks. My NY strip was tough and tasteless. Other salads and sides were good however.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and DinnerLD333Dined on 12/6/2013We went to Greystone for a birthday dinner and it was a perfect time. The service was great and the food was delicious. They made my mom feel special for her birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Thanksgiving DinnerMichaelDined on 11/28/2013I am currently in San Diego and went to Greystone for dinner. I chose the Thanksgiving Dinner. Quality was good. The kitchen was stressed beyond believe with lots of customers. The waiting time between courses was pretty long; however, for I was not in a hurry and staff always was very polite while obviously being stressed out as well as there were quite a view customers not being happy with waiting times. On a regular day, I would probably have rated service only 2 stars, but for this "crazy" evening, I found it still good. Food tasted very good (the Turkey was great) and was hot. So nothing to complain here. I will visit the restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter provided very poorPacedgeDined on 11/28/2013Waiter provided very poor service , made it a very disappointing experience.
- GreystoneDanielDined on 11/23/2013The food is very good, they cooked my NY steak perfectly. The fried calamari are also a must. I would, however, ask for a table outside next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overall ExperienceJimbobDined on 11/23/2013Everything was top shelf. The food was great and the staff was very attentive. We thoroughly enjoyed our romantic birtyhday dinner. We did not expect (or have room for) the birthday dessert the surprised us with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A slice of the good life!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013This restaurant we found by reading reviews since we had not been to the Gaslamp district before. We were very happy with our choice! The fillet minnon was amazing! Everyone working there was very nice! Fun area to walk around and shop too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.