The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
41 Mary Street
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vanderbiltgrace.com/conservatory.php
- Phone: 4018466200x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm ; Dinner: Monday - Sunday 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Cartwright
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
PERFECT FOR INFORMAL DINING is the Conservatory restaurant at the Vanderbilt Grace in Newport, Rhode Island - a transformation of the former Vanderbilt Hall by Grace Hotels. The bright and airy Conservatory offers lighter meals in lovely informal surroundings and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Conservatory"s picture windows offer lovely views of Newport town historic Trinity Church, built in 1725 based on designs by Sir Christopher Wren. The Conservatory also serves cocktails and food in the Vanderbilt Grace's garden terrace. This oasis of calm is just minutes from the town center yet transports you into another world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (15)romantic (12)special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (8)great for lunch (6)scenic view (6)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- LimitedSheilaVIPDined on 11/10/2013/During Newport Restaurant week we lunched at The Conservatory at Vanderbilt Grace. It is a beautiful sun room in an old luxury hotel. The surrounds/ambience is just wonderful, the service was excellent but the menu selection was extremely limited and not a good value for my dollars.
- Great.NYNY1Dined on 11/9/2013The food was very good, service was very good, courses were paced nicely and wine pairings were excellent. On a 3 night stay in Newport, this place was tied for favorite meal experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport Restaurant WeekSteveDined on 11/8/2013The menu for Newport Restaurant Week was one of the better offerings in town. The food was prepared well, presentations was wonderful and flavor and in my case, the steak, cooked perfectly. It was a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gorgeous placeappletartDined on 11/7/2013We have been wanting to try this place for years and were not disappointed. Food is good, service great,, atmosphere is relaxed but elegant and the staff is there to serve the customer...did not see a cell phone in the hand of any of them, unlike so many establishments. Check out a room if you have the time. We were told some go for $1500 a night and are full in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2013When we arrived at Vanderbilt Grace, the Conservatory was full so we were seated in the main dining room (Muse) in front of the fire. It was the perfect setting on a rainy day! Our server, Michael, was informative, attentive and had perfect timing. He also really knew the wines that we decided to pair with our meals. For our first course we chose the mussels and the butternut squash soup. The mussels literally melted in your mouth and the broth was subtly sweet and not too creamy. Same for the soup-delicious! We both chose the crab cake for an entree. Somehow, the outside of the cake was very crispy (lightly fried) but the inside was very moist & flaky and full of crab! The sauce was a bit spicy but not too. Desserts were perfectly sized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gemtriguy9969Dined on 11/4/2013I've been living in the local area for 10 years and never knew this restaurant existed. It's a hidden gem...part of a larger hotel operation in downtown Newport. The buildling is beautiful, and the service was excellent. It's pricey...but we visited during Restaurant Week for a deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekLive2EatDined on 11/3/2013We already love The Muse so we were interested to try The Conservatory. We enjoyed the experience. The first course was quite generous. The entrees were very good. We especially enjoyed the dessert. The best part was the excellent service by Fleur, Alex and especially Kodi. We definitely will return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had lunch in the attractiveSatisfiedCustomerDined on 11/3/2013We had lunch in the attractive conservatory at the rear. This was second time we came to this restaurant and were pleased it provided the same good level of food, service and value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunch datetothemoonDined on 11/2/2013My husband and I went here for a late lunch. You pull right up to the front door where there is a valet service. There is a nice seating area where you wait for your table. You have your meal in an adorable greenhouse like setting. The waitstaff was professional and friendly. The food was excellent and we also had the wine pairing which was perfect with our meal. Pumpkin soup was so delicious! Burger was tasty and so was the pumpkin goat cheese cheesecake. Will definitely be back to try their dinner menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- attention to detailwilltravel4foodDined on 11/1/2013Wonderful food reasonably priced with excellent wine list and polite servers who paid attention to detail made this a new favorite placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to details!CMacVIPDined on 10/28/2013A wonderful experience, for any occasion! I plan to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grace With ClassCapeTomDined on 10/21/2013When my wife and I arrived at Vanderbilt Grace's Conservatory for lunch, we were immediately greeted by our server, Ariel. She found us a great table, and provided outstanding service. We knew the hotel was 5-star and expected lunch to be expensive. To our surprise and elation, it was reasonable and the prix fixe menu even included a glass of champagne...a good one! Ariel was very knowledgable about the courses, and she was right on the mark. The food was excellent and cooked to order. We cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Changesoldgolfer27Dined on 10/11/2013We looked at the online menu before booking, as we were unfamiliar with the restaurant. The menu the night we dined had been significantly changed. While we both found something that was very good, the lack of options was not good.
- The Conservatory is a well-keptilovefinediningVIPDined on 8/30/2013The Conservatory is a well-kept secret that needs to be shared. We have enjoyed their Friday night grill special twice now and both times were excellent. The first night we sat outside around the pool area - which added to ambience, but it was just as cozy inside the conservatory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special day at ConservatorymaestraDined on 8/29/2013Looking for a special lunceon with the girls or with your mate? Try the Conservatory at Vanderbilt Grace on St Mary's St in Newport RI. A little pricey- $44 each for a light lunch- but a nice thing to do for yourselves once in a while. Service is impeccable; food is delicious and cooked to your request. We had gluten free and lactose g free requests and the hotel restaurant fulfilled both easily.Special Features:
- Very nice dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2013My husband and I had a wonderful, romantic 2 1/2 hour dinner here for their Friday night seafood grill. The firepit gave off a wonderful warm glow, we were attended to just the right amount by a friendly waitress, drinks were great, food was plentiful & pleasantly served. We were treated to gluten free bread to our surprise after notifying our waitress of our gluten free requirement. We had a great dinner, we were able to have great conversation. We will surely re-visit this restaurant the next time we are in Newport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dining in secret little garden?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2013From the moment you arrive at the hotel front, from the valet parking service to dining in the courtyard, all staffs were extremely pleasant and attentive. Clam chowder was one of the best I've had. Quiet little garden to enjoy summer outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Beautiful Space for DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2013The Conservatory is situated in a beautiful space with fabulous outdoor seating. The food is prepared by the same restaurant, Muse, that is in the front of the mansion. Very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuietOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/17/2013Quiet and out the hustle and bustle of the wharf area. Menu is small but adequate. Cocktails are pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting but......OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/16/2013Service was lacking and food was not at the quality for the prices being charged. You also got the impression that everyone was either new to the job and/or short staffed.Special Features:
- not up to parLovestoeatDined on 8/16/2013This restaurant was fantastic the last time I went on Seafood Bar-B-Q Friday, but this time the food was no where near as good and neither was the service. Big Disappointment! Especially since we traveled from a far just to have this meal. Maybe it was because we sat inside instead of outside; maybe it was becasue they had too many diners there to accomodate.
- Great and quiet outdoor diningFoodloverVIPDined on 8/11/2013Beautiful location and reasonable menu. Fill like casual dining with the Great Gatsby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Dining SpotlkinflDined on 7/25/2013The Conservatory is my hidden gem. I want to keep it a secret. I bring people here for special occaisions, or just got to lunch with friends and family. You can dine indoors or out by the pool. There is a formal dining area that looks lovely as does the bar area. I have always gone for lunch. The food is wonderful. Do go to the rooftop for drinks and the view. I return over and over again. You will too.Special Features:
- an oasispenelopeVIPDined on 7/22/2013Lunch at the Conservatory was a lovely break from the bustling summer scene in Newport. No hassle parking, garden-like setting and excellent food made for a perfect oasis on a hot summer day.Special Features:
- Food and ambiance were great,jlbhVIPDined on 7/21/2013Food and ambiance were great, but the service was really slow and not very responsive or intuitive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightCricketVIPDined on 7/21/2013Took two hours to get dinner ! Seemed short staffed
- Newport - Off the WaterAjH1VIPDined on 7/20/2013This restaurant, within walking distance from the waterfront, is in a beautiful and quiet neighborhood. We were late for our reservation, but called first to advise. That turned out to be a bonus because we had the outside dining area to ourselves. Very romantic! Our server, Udon (not sure of the spelling), was so engaging and informative. The food was delicious and I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2013Absolutely wonderful food, top-notch service and surprisingly reasonable prices in a beautiful, private environment. The perfect spot to take a hot date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/13/2013We discovered this Gem last year during the week we spent going to Tennis Hall of Fame events. We have been back many times and tell people about it if they say they are heading to Newport. The Rooftop bar and view are wonderful also. Recommend for a romantic date night!Special Features:
- very nicedaveVIPDined on 7/6/2013quiet, great ambiance, food and service was perfect.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location, but only acceptableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2013Quiet location for lunch with a friend and the service was terrific. The food was disappointing in general. The menu had interesting options, but we found the execution only so-so. Crab cakes were very full of filling, not much crab. The mini flatbread pizza was the best option ordered.
- Nice restaurantCampDined on 6/27/2013We dined here recently for the first time. It's in a great location-just up the street from Brick Market. The flat bread pizza was great. The lobster mac & cheese was also very good. The service was great-very attentive. We will definitely return-a nice little restaurant.Special Features:
- Just a short block from Newport'sSBG900VIPDined on 6/22/2013Just a short block from Newport's frantic twenty something scene --- and what a pleasure! Small restaurant in an elegant hotel, gracious staff. Lovely. We had the most wonderful cheese platter for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatJBL247VIPDined on 6/22/2013For what the Conservatory wants to be / presumes to be, it needs to improve. Our dinner was good, the outside setting very pleasant, but basics were missed. We both had Caesar salad; we both came to the conclusion that the salad was served without the dressing or at best with much to little dressing. Although the salad and drinks were served quickly, the main course, coffee, and check incurred noticeable delays. I did look at the Martini menu and was surprised to find pricing that matched or exceeded New York prices. Yes, this is Newport in the summer, but the pricing was excessive for the state of quality of the restaurant. The Conservatory may someday justify that kind of pricing, but not today.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's better than outstanding?LovestoeatDined on 6/21/2013We've been to Newport many times, but never stumbled onto this place because it's off the beaten path. I found out about the higher end restaurant, Muse and figured this more casual dining experience would suit us better and it did. The food was outstanding; the service was outstanding. We couldn't understand why it wasn't more crowded. We were there on a Friday night where they had a special grilling menu which had limited options, but all you cared to eat of what they were serving. We tried everything and loved everything! I can't wait to go back to Newport so I can eat at this place again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal at a boutique hotelOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/26/2013Conservatory at Vanderbilt Grace is one of two restaurants at a midsize European-owned hotel, half a block from main tourist thoroughfare. The other (called Muse) is by a famous TV chef and is more vibrant, but the Conservatory is a nice quiet covered terrace area serving not long but good choice of dishes. In summer, the garden next to the conservatory serves as an extension. On a late Sunday night we ended up having the later portion of our meal to ourselves in a rather romantic atmosphere. Excellent tomato soup, great mussels, exceptional crab cake. Good wine list shared with Muse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in Newport, RIlkinflDined on 5/24/2013I have been to lunch at The Conservatory before. I have dined outside by the pool. I have had drinks on the rooftop. This is a special place. Everytime I go, I feel ike it is the first time. I brought my friend to get her out of the doldrums of a rainy, grey day. Even though we had reservations for two, my daughter decided to join us and the reservation was changed to accomodate her arrival. Later, we invited another friend and the table bcame a table for four seemlessly. I had a light lunch of pizza that I enjoyed throughly. I would order it again. Without a doubt I will return to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patience neededmnoormo1VIPDined on 5/22/2013This is a quaint little restaurant set in the Vanderbilt at Grace hotel which overlooks the courtyard. Thumps up for the mussels w/pesto appetizer and the french fries. Mixed verdict on the entrees. Thumbs up for the NY Strip Steak but a neutral on the Bison Burger. The service is very slow (only one server) but the pleasantness of the server makes up for the slow service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our 2nd visit inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/22/2013This was our 2nd visit in 3 days. Yes, that good. The food is very good and priced affordable. The atmosphere is relaxed with beautiful glassed in surroundings adjacent to a courtyard both behind the elegant Vanderbilt Grace hotel. Service was excellent our first visit (thank you Justin!). Our 2nd visit service lacked service except when Justin stepped in to offer a greeting and enhance the experience. The menu is limited but everything we ordered please each of the 4 members of our party. We visit Newport every year and the Conservatory will be on the top of our list to revisit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is everybody?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/21/2013We had the conservatory to ourselves. I know it isn't high season yet but I hoped there would be other people dining. We were a party of four and were all alone until just before we left. We ordered Belvedere vodka martini's and they had no Belvedere so we received Chopin vodka. They also had NO OLIVES for our martini. Geesh. How hard would it have been to send someone to the store for a jar of olives in the afternoon. The valet was nowhere to be found so we locked our car and went inside to find the valet which was just coming out. Thank goodness the food was fantastic. The gnocchi were outstanding as well as the steak. Thank you chef Babs was a great waitress and we thank her for being pleasant and efficient.Special Features: