J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
Overland Park, KS 66212Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jgilberts.com/Home.aspx?825
- Phone: 9136428070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4PM-10PM | Friday & Saturday 4PM-10:30PM | Sunday 4PM-9PM.
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ruben Rosales
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Friday - Saturday: Live Music in the lounge from 6:00 - 9:00pm
- Special Events: Happy hour food and drink specials: SUNDAY – FRIDAY | 4pm - 6:30pm | BAR ONLY.
A word from J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park
J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week and lunch banquets. Reservations are recommendedContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park - Best Restaurants in Overland Park ›
J. Gilbert’s – Wood Fired Steaks & Seafood - Overland Park reviews from OpenTable diners
289 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (216)romantic (173)notable wine list (108)neighborhood gem (91)fit for foodies (86)good for groups (65)vibrant bar scene (19)great for lunch (15)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- My favorite in KCNeat1986VIPDined on 8/8/2014Best steaks around!!! Filet is my favorite. Service is the best as ALWAYS!!Special Features:
- nonicknameVIPDined on 8/8/2014We ate here on a Friday night. Started with the Maytag blue chips, our favorite indulgence. My companion had the swordfish special and i had steak. We shared coconut cake for dessert. Everything was delicious and well-prepared. They have a lot of great wine options, and if you are having a glass of wine, they offer two different pour sizes. Atmosphere in the main dining room is quiet, it's a little more energetic in the bar due to the live music. Parking is easy. Service is excellent. It may not be "cutting edge," but it is reliably excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantgorillaDined on 8/5/2014Our group of seven went for dinner and both the food and service were excellent. No complaints from anyone in the group everything was cooked perfectly and was delicious including the desserts.Special Features:
- Great experiencefoodforthoughtDined on 8/4/2014I made reservations for my boyfriend's birthday and we were seated right away when we arrived. We had excellent service and our courses were spaced perfectly so we did not feel rushed. Great drinks and cocktails and an expansive wine list. My only complaint is that the ribeye was cooked more medium well rather than the medium rare we ordered. However, we didn't say anything because it was still tender, juicy, and very flavorful. The filet and mashed potatoes were to die for. This was our first time at JGilbert's and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Their Best DayNorthriverguyDined on 8/4/2014J Gilberts is usually a great go to business spot. They missed the mark on Monday. Out of town guests wanted Blvd. After we ordered stated taps were all broken. Waiter kept interrupting conversation vs waiting for breaks. Wine (red) came to cold to enjoy. Steaks were fair not up par. Potatoes tasted like they were reheated in a microwave. Room was noisy and not very clean. Management should get out in to the restaurant and see and taste the decline.
- J Gilbert's is a gem!NettBill1Dined on 8/4/2014Special occasion? Dine at J Gilbert's for the whole experience! Excellent food, including appetizers, seafood, cut with a fork beef filets were all "10" selections. Don't leave without trying the coconut cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingwesotVIPDined on 8/3/2014First time here in 2013 was a wonderful experience. Not so this time.Each of us had surf and turf. Our steaks were great but 1/3 of my lobster tail was under cooked and my friend´s shrimp was old, smelly and chewy. We were comped $25 but I think we should not have had to pay for the food.
- Somewhat disappontingkansaskids50Dined on 8/3/2014This was our first visit to the restauraant and we had high hopes for a truely excellent meal. Instead we got typical chain restaurant food which was rather tasteless and bland. Server did not seem knowlegable. There are scores of restaurants with better tasting food for better prices in Overland Park.Special Features:
- service and foodSpecialoccasionDined on 8/2/2014Everything was great. Jill thanks for the awesome service. We Will Come back. The experience made for a great 40 birthday dinner for my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night at Gilbert'sWingcruiserDined on 8/1/2014We had a great meal at this restaurant. I made an on-line reservation about 7:30 for five at for 8 PM on August 1st.. However, I make a mistake and made the reservation for Saturday, August 2nd. The young lady at the entrance looked at the computer, said she didn't show my reservation, clicked a few times and pointed out my error. Then she grinned and said she could make it happen anyway. We were seated within a few minutes but not without a friendly admonition from the young to not let "that" happen again. Jimmy was our server and he was outstanding. He was knowledgeable, extremely friendly, happy to be working, apparently, and put up with my brother-in-law. That in and of itself was worthy of some kind of award. Excellent. Go there.Special Features:
- Best in KCMeghugsDined on 7/31/2014There are a lot of great steakhouses in KC but this is always our favorite. Amazing food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J. Gilbert's is my FavdeedeeDined on 7/31/2014J. Gilbert's has the best steak in the Kansas City area! They start with a loaf of sour dough bread, which is so good, their salads are delicious (Baby Greens is my favorite salad).Their Poblano Au Gratins are amazing... I could go on and on, but JG is my go to restaurant for special occasions, visitors from out of town, etc.Special Features:
- ExcellentgrumpyangelDined on 7/31/2014It had been many years since we dined at J. Gilberts. Forgot how great the food was. Our server was excellent and made the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great evening...JennyDined on 7/31/2014We had the home made chips with melted blue cheese appetizer (yum). The waitress was lovely and spent a lot of time answering our questions. My friend had the fixed price 3 course of a wedge salad, steak/mashed potatoes/and green beans with pecans, and crème brulee. She raved about her foodl. I had the spring salad with cranberries, and pine nuts and a balsamic vinaigrette followed by the Cajun steak with poblano scalloped potatoes. They forgot our steak knives and brought them (apologetically) when we were both a few bites in. The steaks were so tender you really didn't need them. The staff was attentive and we really felt pampered and well taken care of; it was a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!1stTimeDinerDined on 7/26/2014I have had steak at many restraunts and can truly say this was by far the best! They also have good Italian/Seafood selections. The price was $85 dollars for 2 people, but well worth it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014The 6 oz. filet was excellent. Our server was a bit pushy.Special Features:
- Things were ok. Except my steak!BirthdaygonebadDined on 7/25/2014It was over cooked.Celebrating, had to wait for steak to be re-fired doesn't make for an enjoyable night. Was never offered to be compensated in anyway. Very odd. The plates looked good, the hostess were friendly, the drinks were good. Just had to wait to eat my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014Had a table for 12 for a business dinner and could not have picked a better place. Ample bar area to gather our group before sitting down. Table was ready to go on time. Good selection of food. Outstanding service. Unique cocktails and good wine list. Draft beer list was a little lite, but they had plenty of bottled beer to select from. Would definitely consider returning for our next dinner meeting in the KC area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeLenexaNurseDined on 7/23/2014We always come to J. Gilbert's for birthdays and anniversaries for an intimate night out as a couple. Service and food was exceptional as always!Special Features:
- Jayhawk1945Dined on 7/22/2014Very good Service. Our reservation was handled promptly.. Our party of four was very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysJakeDined on 7/20/2014Took my wife here for our anniversary. Everything was perfect. Server was great, food was spot on, and they even bought us a dessert for later. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food were excellentDennisDined on 7/20/2014We had 6 adults with two small children. We were set apart from the main seating area, which for us was preferable. Our children were served first as we requested, our server was very attentive, but not hovering, food was very good, and the wine was half priced as it was a Sunday if it was less than $100 per bottle. They had my favorite, so we had two. Overall it was a very good experience, food was very good, priced a little high, but it is a high end restaurant. I would go again and would recommend this restaurant to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphere!Norm4meDined on 7/19/2014J. Gilbert's is my favorite place for a great steak dinner and to celebrate my birthday. Their servers are always knowledgeable and friendly and the food is magnificent. The maytag potato chips are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Was OK...pv59Dined on 7/19/2014Allegedly one of the top steakhouses in KC...I had the cowboy cut bone-in rib eye which was only OK...I've had better at other places...maybe a little over-rated...given the price-range I'll probably keep searching the best in KC...this isn't it...
- Something Has ChangedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014We'll add our voices to those who say something has changed at this restaurant -- and not for the better. We've eaten here many times over the years and were always pleased but have noticed a decline in food quality over the last 18 months or so. Our last three visits have been disappointing. The decline has all the earmarks of corporate corner cutting to increase the profit margin. We're done for now. Might check back in a couple of years and see if they're back on track. Too bad, it was a great place.
- Fantastic find!mmw3350Dined on 7/17/2014Traveling through Overland Park and found this GREAT steak restaurant; service was perfect and staff is friendly and helpful. The steaks were perfection.Special Features:
- Food qualityJohnnieDined on 7/17/2014I have lived in the Kansas City area for twenty years and this is my first visit to J Gilberts the cowboy ribeye is the best steak I have ever eaten in Kansas City area. Don't be like me me and wait because I will not wait so long for my second visit. Thank you for the great time it was our fifteenth wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent birthday dinnerHowieDined on 7/16/2014We both had the Grouper special and enjoyed it very much. It was not over cooked and had a delightful sauce that went well with the potatoes and asparagus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodmegpieDined on 7/15/2014I have been to J. Gilbert's several times. I love that it's been around for a long time. The location isn't anywhere exciting, and the menu is pretty traditional, but the food is always delicious, exceptional service and nice atmosphere. The portion sizes are pretty generous. They do a decent happy hour too. Try the Maytag potato chips (so addicting!) or the sliders with beef tenderloin. Mmmmmm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014We were a little uneasy about our visit when waiting to be seated we heard the host tell people they were understaffed. Even though service was notably slower than we would like, everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatkccultureDined on 7/13/2014Great Food and Drink ---- Service was Exceptional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a Great Place to Dinelovefreshfish1Dined on 7/12/2014We hadn't been to J. Gilbert's in over a year and realized how much we missed the consistent food and service. New menu was great and all 4 dinners were excellent!!!Special Features:
- Fair FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014The food was fair and the restaurant was very noisy. They tried to fix the problem but the steak was over done and the table was very noisy
- OUTSTANDINGjaysgirl02Dined on 7/11/2014Great Food, Great Service, Great Atmosphere, everything was outstanding. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Happy "Rush" HourKSdinerVIPDined on 7/11/2014We were meeting friends and usually hang out 2 or 3 hours. Our conversation and meal were constantly interrupted by having water glasses filled, asked if we wanted more to drink, more to eat, when we clearly had plenty. When we didn't quickly order more, multiple servers surrounded our table of 8 asking if they could remove our glasses and plates while simultaneously reaching over to take them away. Many of which were still being enjoyed. One member of our party had her order "lost" and while it was taken care of, she got her food around the time the rest of us were done. The food was delicious but the ill-timed service had us running out after just one hour feeling rushed and not very happy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakloverDined on 7/10/2014Great food. We had a very nice dinner for 4, including full meal, wine and dessert.Special Features:
- Out of the park great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/8/2014We totally forget about this wonderful restaurant! Special occassion and everyone on staff was cordial and acknowledging -- Gabe a wonderful, just right attentive server. Food could not have been better!Special Features:
- Great meal had hereJAFromNJDined on 7/8/2014Dined here on Tuesday night. Our server and the service was outstanding. The food was excellent especially the lobster risotto. Our group had a great time and everyone enjoyed their meals. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Best steak house in townofcgilVIPDined on 7/6/2014This is just the best steak house in town.service is impeccable and a great wine list.Special Features:
- magneVIPDined on 7/4/2014it was July 5th, this is why is was so quiet, otherwise it be very loud