227 S. 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.castadivabyob.com/
- Phone: 2154969677
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Stephen Vassalluzzo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly to discuss and schedule.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Vassalluzzo 2154969677
A word from Casta Diva
Located just steps away from the Rittenhouse Square Park, Caffe Casta Diva brings to the table simple yet perfectly executed authentic Italian dishes, always using the finest locally and seasonally available ingredients. Bring your favorite bottle of wine to this elegant and sophisticated tratoria and enjoy beautifully prepared seafood and meat dishes, as well as pasta, desserts and bread made in the house. One of the "best kept secrets in Philadelphia" according to the Zagat review.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Casta Diva - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Casta Diva reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)neighborhood gem (46)romantic (26)special occasion (20)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- I felt that each item hadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/28/2011I felt that each item had been carefully prepared to meet and exceed each of my parties individual expectations. Attentive, but not intrusive staff. A fantastic local place!Special Features:
- Fine dining where the portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2011Fine dining where the portions are just right. The service from the staff is both friendly and professional. Casta Diva has that inviting ambiance that makes a diner comfortable and willing to return.Special Features:
- The pastas were terrific,MichaelFVIPDined on 12/27/2011The pastas were terrific, and the waitstaff was perfect -- attentive and pleasant but not obtrusive.Special Features:
- Casta Diva is our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/23/2011Casta Diva is our favorite BYOB in all of Philadelphia The food is excellent and the service is equally good.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/20/2011Wonderful neighborhood experience. Terrific food,quieter ambiance.Special Features:
- Everytime I come here I amLawrenceVIPDined on 12/10/2011Everytime I come here I am delighted with the place. I always recommend it!Special Features:
- We went to Casta Diva expectingwantsitallVIPDined on 12/8/2011We went to Casta Diva expecting a wonderful meal as it got a 26 point rating in Zagat. It was fine, food was prepared well, but it wasn't tasty. Two people loved their salads, crunchy and fresh. My mussels were boring; partner's calamari was pitifully boring. Two pastas , fine but bland. Pork chop was nothing special and it was the special. We won't return.
- ....another one of our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2011....another one of our favorite places in center city!Special Features:
- Great food, cash BYOB. ServersVegetarianVIPDined on 12/2/2011Great food, cash BYOB. Servers are good--but could use a more continental flair to match the food.Special Features:
- Very attentive, well informedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/1/2011Very attentive, well informed service staff and delicious meal prepared with fresh, locally-sourced ingredients; chef/owner Steve also made the rounds in the dining room to thank diners for their patronage -- a nice touch!Special Features:
- A Cash only BYO near RittenhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/26/2011A Cash only BYO near Rittenhouse that's quiet with GREAT FOOD and attentive service- what could be better?Special Features:
- Had a wonderful time. EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2011Had a wonderful time. Everything was incredible. The service was outstanding. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great pre show place. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2011Great pre show place. Very accomodating to a large group (7 in the party). The service was attentive without being intrusiveSpecial Features:
- We had been many times beforeCCresieDined on 11/11/2011We had been many times before and had good meals This time disappointing
- To avoid the crowd, we wentglbltvlrVIPDined on 11/11/2011To avoid the crowd, we went for an early dinner (5:30pm) so it was quiet and the service was good. We liked everything we ordered, roast beet salad, fish and pasta with meat sauce, and desert. Will be back again.Special Features:
- Casta Diva has great food.VegetarianVIPDined on 11/3/2011Casta Diva has great food. On this occasion, I had a pumpkin risotto with scallops. (It was nice to get a seasonal vege, I've never understood why restaurants seem to think they should serve asparagus and sugar-snap peas year around.) Casta Diva has long had the best scallops in the city--these were no exception. We had concert tickets and told them so when we arrived. They did a marvelous job pacing our dinner so that it was leisurely and we still had plenty of time to get to the Kimmel. Perfect everything.Special Features:
- Solid Italian food but nothingLorenzoDined on 11/3/2011Solid Italian food but nothing special. Worthwhile because it's BYO.Special Features:
- I have been there severalOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/22/2011I have been there several times and have always had a great meal with great service. Always a great place to eat.Special Features:
- My husband, son, and I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/22/2011My husband, son, and I had a wonderful time at Casta Diva! Every dish was nicely presented and delicious - each with its own distinctive flavor. Service was attentive without being intrusive. We rated the food up with Babbo in NYC!Special Features:
- Just bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/20/2011We really wanted this to be a great dinning experience because we live in the neighborhood. The food was great but the service was unwelcoming. I would not recommend this restaurant becouse of it. There are too many places like this to dine at not to have good service.
- Fabulous food, BYOB, cashVegetarianVIPDined on 10/19/2011Fabulous food, BYOB, cash only. Dishes not to miss include wild boar pappardelle, seafood risotto, and the artichoke appetizer. A recent special of pork loin got a "best pork I've ever eaten" comment. Service is intentionally leisurely. If you have 8 PM theatre tickets, make a reservation for 5:45.Special Features:
- This restaurant has greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/15/2011This restaurant has great reviews from friends and Zagat but we did not have a great experience. It was way too busy and crowded to have just 1 server and 2 bus people. No ambiance at all. There are much better Italian places in the city.
- This restaurant is a hiddenOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/12/2011This restaurant is a hidden gem, great food prepared to perfection. It calls itself an Italian restaurant, but the menu is actually continental. One of my party had a steak, it was better than most steak houses. I had a wonderful pork tenderloin that any french restaurant would be proud to serve. Naturally, the Italian food, i.e. the pasta, is home made and wonderful. I will go back many many times.Special Features:
- food was excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/8/2011food was excellent as always -- all four diners enjoyed each course -- nice glasses for red wines -- service attentive but not overbearing -- hostess remembered my nameSpecial Features:
- Casta Diva is an outstandingChubbyBubbyVIPDined on 10/4/2011Casta Diva is an outstanding dining experience. There is no greater veal chop in the city. The homemade pasta is perfect and the flourless chocolate cake is to die for! We cannot wait to go back. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Good food slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/23/2011This is one of the few Italian places that make their own pasta...food is very good, however on this recent trip the service was terrible. The restaurant was not crowded and yet it took us at least 10 minutes to be seated, and then the same amount of time for someone to even open our wine and bring us menus. It didn't seem like they were understaffed but everything took too long throughout the night.Special Features:
- When we entered to find thatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2011When we entered to find that the restaurant is both a BYO and cash-only, we were stymied. We ended up walking separately in different directions for a number of blocks (the Wawa ATM wasn't working). Open Table lists the BYO, which I missed, but not the cash only. That information should be provided. I thought we'd get a sympathetic "Oh dear, so sorry" from the restaurant, but the waitress just walked away. Later, when we complimented the food, again there was no response. It wasn't the best experience but it wouldn't have taken much to make it better. More training needed for the wait staff. These comments are for Open Table and the restaurant, but there isn't enough space in section 4.Special Features:
- This is a great spot. I hopeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2011This is a great spot. I hope it retains it's current atmosphere. It is small and cozy without being noisy. It's relaxing. The appetizers and main course and desserts were creative, well prepared and were delicious. The waitresses were very pleasant and helpful in recommending entrees - service was excellent. Everything is fresh and made to order. We did not feel rushed or hassled. We celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary with very good friends who were celebrating their 40th. Second time at Casta Diva with similar results.Special Features:
- Food and service was excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/16/2011Food and service was excellent! Truly a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- A small venue that you wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2011A small venue that you would miss if you weren't looking for it. However, it is well worth the discovery. A small staff provides excellent service. The menu offerings are nicely priced and delicious!Special Features:
- Caffe Casta Diva has beenOctoberdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2011Caffe Casta Diva has been one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants for a long time. This last visit, however, the food was definitely sub-par. Between my husband and me, we sampled 5 different items -- none were bad, but none were notable. All seemed rather pedestrian, which is not what we expect from this former "gem." Not sure if this was an "off" night, or if there has been a change in the kitchen. We will reserve judgement, pending our next meal there.Special Features:
- We have been dining regularyLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/12/2011We have been dining regulary at Casta Diva for many years. We have never been disappointed. The quality of the food is excellent and consistent. Steve has the best veal chop in the city and his steaks are better than any steakhouses. The service is very good, a small staff that is friendly and makes you feel comfortable and welcome. There is aways a special or something new on the menu worth trying. We will keep returning.Special Features:
- Won't be going back.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2011It was a very disappointing meal made even more so by the fact that I had enjoyed several very good meals there in the past. So much so, that we opted to go to a different nearby restaurant to enjoy a fabulous dessert rather than chance yet another disappointing course.
- We had a wonderful dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2011We had a wonderful dinner. Everyone in our group loved the food. I had salmon, the daily special. It was delicious. The salmon was fresh and perfectly cooked. The pickled accoutrement enhanced but didn't overwhelm the flavor of the fish.Special Features:
- Casta Diva is a very fineWimmieVIPDined on 8/5/2011Casta Diva is a very fine restaurant with great food and excellent ambiance.
- Food was excellent and staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2011Food was excellent and staff was nice. It was a shame we were the only ones there. Too good not to be busier.
- Delicious Italian BYO. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/29/2011Delicious Italian BYO. Service is great. Prices are just fine. Overall nice, romantic scene...Made over to look more modern and sleek, but place has a friendly feelSpecial Features:
- Casta Diva is "good" but noteatoutVIPDined on 7/28/2011Casta Diva is "good" but not "outstanding" basic Italian food. Never disappointing and never overwhelmingly fantastic. Service is generally excellent. Cash only is annoying.