227 S. 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.castadivabyob.com/
- Phone: 2154969677
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Stephen Vassalluzzo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly to discuss and schedule.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Vassalluzzo 2154969677
A word from Casta Diva
Located just steps away from the Rittenhouse Square Park, Caffe Casta Diva brings to the table simple yet perfectly executed authentic Italian dishes, always using the finest locally and seasonally available ingredients. Bring your favorite bottle of wine to this elegant and sophisticated tratoria and enjoy beautifully prepared seafood and meat dishes, as well as pasta, desserts and bread made in the house. One of the "best kept secrets in Philadelphia" according to the Zagat review.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Casta Diva - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Casta Diva reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (36)romantic (25)special occasion (18)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- NiceDannyDined on 1/17/2014Went here for "date night" this past Friday. It is a nice place however very small. We were seated at a small table and I must've bumped elbows with the guy at the next table at least 3 times. The food was great. We started with the best salad and the cheese plate... Both excellent. The service was friendly and accommodating. Despite the tight quarters, we would certainly venture back to try the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favoite PlaceLuv2eatVIPDined on 1/17/2014We go to Cass Diva all the time and are never disappointed. My favorite entre is Steve's veal chop. It is the best in the city! Service is always friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Casta Diva is a keeper!elveDined on 1/15/2014Every couple of months our friend from Connecticut visits and we look for a restaurant that is new to our group of five. We were not disappointed with our choice. We each selected a different entree and no one was disappointed. The scallops were divine, and the calamari appetizer as well as the beet salad were excellent! I can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood BYOBMbreakirVIPDined on 1/14/2014Four of us ordered four different entrees, three different salads, and shared the Italian sausage pasta. All dishes were excellent and beautifully presented. Service was great but not intrusive. We love the BYOB format and pricing is very reasonable given the food quality. Only drawback is it is cash only. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good BYOBCopiouseatsDined on 12/31/2013Food and service was very good. The menu could have been a bit more expansive, but the four of us certainly found wonderful choices on the menu. Great neighborhood restaurant, and we love that it is BYOBSpecial Features:
- Outstanding BYOB!RickDined on 12/27/2013The three of us all enjoyed each our courses at this charming BYOB. The food was great and the server didn't pressure us to order or to leave when we had finished our excellent meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food quality is terrificFoodiesVIPDined on 12/21/2013The food quality is terrific and the menu, though small, had a perfect variety of choices. We look forward to coming back!Special Features:
- Great BYOBSatisfiedDinerVIPDined on 12/21/2013Small but bustling - the food is delicious, the homemade pasta just "makes" every dish melt in your mouth. Went for the second time in 3 weeks and was not disappointed. The poached pears for dessert were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a really excellentDrexelProfDined on 12/14/2013This is a really excellent little BYOB in the neighborhood. My wife and I frequently just decide to grab a bottle of wine and head there for dinner during the week. The food is great and service is really nice, but do remember that it is cash only... I suspect the cash only and BYO is what keeps this place from being a mad house every evening. But I for one am glad of it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- innovatively excellent italianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013innovatively excellent italian fare. loved the sweet potato gnocchi, that was a side to my duck. excellent calamari puttenesca. the waitress could have been a bit warmer, but she was fine. and the rest of the staff was great.Special Features:
- Consistently goodKarenrVIPDined on 12/13/2013We have been coming here for a number of years and always enjoy the dining experience. Menses change with some frequency, so always something new to try. The califlower soup was excellent, as was the crispy skin branzino, and the wild boar pasta. Nice presentation as well.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/13/2013I've been going to the place for years but the latest meal I ate there was probably the best yet! The salmon had beautifully crunchy skin and was topped with vegetables cooked to perfection. I highly recommend this place but I am a little wary of doing so because if it becomes more and more popular (which it should) I won't be able to get in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food as alwaysjoysiiieDined on 12/13/2013but I really wish they would bring in some gluten free pasta and bread optionsSpecial Features:
- Great Philly restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/13/2013This restaurant has a wonderful menu, great food and excellent service.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!CenterCityFoodieDined on 12/12/2013Casta Diva never disappoints - the food is always excellent! It is one of our favorite restaurants. Sometimes the noise level is too high, if there are large parties, but fortunately, on this visit, the noise level was fine. I had the salmon and it was outstanding. Our guests had the scallops and one of the pasta dishes and were both pleased. And I loved the ginger gelato!Special Features:
- Great FindPhilly86VIPDined on 12/11/2013My wife and I ended up in the city and we looked on Open Table for a BYOB restaurant. Casta Diva had good reviews so we gave it a try. Glad we did. This little restaurant was wonderful. The chef really takes pride in his elegant presentations . . . and the food was delicious too! The servers were very attentive. We were originally seated at a table in the front with a great window view. Unfortunately in winter it was very cold and drafty. (F. Y. I.) We asked to be moved and were quickly accommodated. We were surprised by the "CASH ONLY" printed on the menu. I would have stopped at the ATM if I had realized. Not a big menu but everything we tried was terrific! Great neighborhood find!Special Features:
- Great local find off RittenhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/7/2013Good food and reasonable prices (considering neighborhood) with great service and BYOB also! Small room so if you are looking for private table for intimate conversation - you may want to try somewhere else but this will definitely on our list to return again.Special Features:
- BirthdaynancyVIPDined on 12/4/2013I had noted on my reservation that this was a birthday celebration. They did nothing to acknowledge that occasion. Why ask if you don't intend to make the occasion a bit more festive?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDanaDined on 12/3/2013I was there on a weekday evening with friends. Everyone loved their meals. I had the calamari for an appetizer. It was tender and tasty, nicely spiced. One of my friends had the mushroom soup and raved about it. The scallops entrée was absolutely wonderful -- three nice size scallops perfectly done with cauliflower and a delicious pea puree. We commented on how much space we had between tables and that we could actually have a dinner conversation without having to yell above the noise. I'd definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winter delightCuriouspalateDined on 11/23/2013This intimate, warmly furnished space was, yet again, inviting--and satisfying--for a winter supper. Its menu favors earthy, stronger flavors and textures even to its salads, but the concept is sophisticated and well executed. A particular favorite are the pappardelle with wild boar ragu. The staff is attentive and warm, and the other diners who swarm in (we could only get a 6:30 table one Saturday night) lend yet another convivial note. It's a superior spot in a neighborhood with many good small restaurants.Special Features:
- overpricedpt109Dined on 11/21/2013My date and I each had an appetizer and a main course, and the bill plus tip was over $90. How is that possible at a BYO that takes cash only!? Overrated.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013Divine salads and pasta will definitely frequent this cozy BYOB Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Lucky NeighborhoodPhilFoodDined on 11/9/2013I wish my neighborhood had a fine restaurant like Casta Diva. This BYO is a treat. From appetizers to dessert, we enjoyed our dinner. Highlights were the Beef Carpaccio and Sautéed Calamari and the Trofie pasta - if you love wild mushrooms, this dish is perfection. Rather than hunting for the mushrooms, they were plentiful and the earthiness of the dish still sings in my mind. We had two slight disappointments that prevented a five star rating; the caesar salad came without anchovies and the skin on the duck breast entree could have been crisped quite a bit more (something we asked about specifically). While the waiter brought anchovies to the table for the salad, that doesn't match having them macerated properly into the dressing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BYOB close to everythingDinerDined on 11/8/2013We dined with a group of 5 people, everyone getting something different off the menu from apps to salads to the entree. Let me tell you, we all loved the food and I would highly recommend this restaurant! And on a more personal note, if you like duck...you HAVE to try theirs off the menu...DELICIOUS!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes and NoMicheleDined on 10/26/2013The food was very good, however, they ran out of scallops for my husband and sister's plate so they shared what was left I suppose. My husband (who is a chef by trade) asked what the portion size was the waitress could not provide an answer. We found this ridiculous since there are only a handful of choices on the menu. With a small menu the servers should be able to answer simple questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really tasty foodSilverQueenVIPDined on 10/26/2013This small BYO has a limited menu - fish, pasta, meat, fowl - and all food is delicious. We were a group of 6 people, most of whom had never been here. Everyone agreed that it was outstanding and we all want to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinner, excellent.cerneDined on 10/23/2013First time dinner, excellent. Will go back many more timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent menu and executionqmodDined on 10/19/2013We shared the cheese plate to start. It was delicious. My husband had the duck. I had the pasta dish with wild mushrooms. Both dishes arrived at a perfect temperature, and were very tasty. The duck was cooked exactly as ordered. An excellent meal.Special Features:
- The food was excellent. ThelinaDined on 10/19/2013The food was excellent. The staff could have been a little nicer. They seemed overwhelmed. I would certainly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food in a BYOBPaulVIPDined on 10/19/2013Casta Diva remains one of our favorite restaurants. Great food with an unbeatable special (16 0z loin chop) cooked to perfection. The service is excellent, attentive without being annoying. Our only complaint is the noise level, requiring us to shout across the table at times. Perhaps this unavoidable given the closeness of the tables, but it is annoying. A word of caution, Casta Dive takes NO credit cards so come with cash. If you forget, there is an ATM across the streetSpecial Features:
- Great food and fun fine servicegrannyDined on 10/12/2013Great food and fun fine service really enjoyed. Will do againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently very good food.LarryVIPDined on 10/11/2013Consistently very good food. Very good small BYOB. Small but interesting menu and everything is well prepared. Interesting pasta dishes.Special Features:
- A Great FindKathyDined on 10/5/2013I have been to several BYOB's in the city and this is by far one of the best. The whole dining experience was a treat. The wait staff was very polite and knowledgeable. While the menu is small, the food is outstanding. I would defintely recommend this for either a quiet, romantic dinner for two, or for a group of friends out for the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite Italian BYOB!wsm314VIPDined on 9/28/2013My husband & I love trying all the Italian BYOB's in the city. I'm not sure why we didn't fine here before, but believe me, we will definitely be back! It is a step above most others, a bit more elegant. Service was attentive & professional. The food was amazing! The beet salads & salumi appetizer were great. I had a poached tuna dish over pasta, it tasted very fresh & authentic. My husband had the spinach tagliatelle & really enjoyed it. We ended the evening with flour less chocolate cake, which we usually don't enjoy, but we sure did this night! It was a wonderful evening out, no complaints whatsoever. Try it, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food cooked to perfectionAliEVIPDined on 9/27/2013really great food- had the Bronzino and the flavor profile was great. love this great byob.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casta Diva is a great littlePhilaFoodiesVIPDined on 9/24/2013Casta Diva is a great little restaurant located in the Rittenhouse Square area of center city Philadelphia. It is a BYOB restaurant and the food is delicious. We feel it is very authentic and the service could not be better. A definite must for your next trip to center city Philadelphia.Special Features:
- An upscale BYOBKarenVIPDined on 9/18/2013We were with another couple (who dine out frequently) and we all loved the food! Not only was it delicious, but beautifully presented as well. And the service was excellent--gracious and very prompt. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite in town restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/14/2013Just off Rittenhouse Square this little gem is my new favorite in town restaurant. Starting with great bread, a beet salad and Bronzino for dinner. Not large plates but everything done artfully and tastefully. Loved it! Only downside- we were seated next to a large group and it was very hard to hear our own conversation.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013Everything was delicious.. From the appetizer to dessert. You cannot go wrong at Casta Diva. So glad we stumbled upon this place and cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lived up to it's reputationmainerDined on 8/23/2013Great evening. Excellent food. Quiet, elegant. Beautiful presentation. Solicitous service. Good value. Remember: cash only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.