700 Post St.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
IndonesianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.borobudursf.com/
- Phone: 4157751512
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30AM - 5:00PM
Sunday: 1:00PM - 5:00PM
Dinner: Sunday- Thursday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indonesian, Vegetarian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Yunita Gouw
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies)
- Catering: We will gladly cater you office lunch, birthday party or wedding.
A word from Borobudur
Borobudur is an award winning Indonesian Restaurant. The television show “Check Please” regarded Borobudur as the Best Indonesian Restaurant in the Bay Area. The restaurant was founded by a husband and wife, Soe Bin Ang and Yunita Gouw. Having more than twenty years of experience as Chef of Indonesian cuisine, they have created contemporary authentic Indonesian foods. Through creativity, they transform traditional Indonesian spices to create Indonesian foods that are perfect for our modern taste bud, but still maintain the tradition. Up to this day, they continue to mix their own Indonesian spices to maintain quality and truly deliver an award winning Indonesian cuisine.Continued
Please be advised that we DO NOT accept any vouchers or discount coupons.
Please be advised that we DO NOT accept any vouchers or discount coupons.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Borobudur reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (10)great for lunch (4)special occasion (3)romantic (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Always Good and ConsistentLuv2eatDined on 11/16/2013If you like, are curious or even interested in Indonesian food this is the go to place in downtown San Francisco. I had a friend visiting from San Diego and thought he would enjoy the experience of Borobudur's rijsttafel which is their rice-table dinner. It was a good way to sample their many traditional dishes. Reasonably priced for 2 at around $27.00 each which included a choice of appetizer, soup and then a selection of 6 generous dishes and then a choice of dessert. My friend enjoyed his rijsttafel experience and thought the food delicious. I have been going to Borobudur on and off since the mid 1990's and never had a bad meal no matter what I chose to eat. Their Gado Gado salad is one of the best of have had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Indonesian!JayceVIPDined on 11/8/2013I’ve been here more than 5x and I live in the East Coast. Being an Indonesian, I can assure you that Borobudur serves authentic Indonesian delicacies!Special Features:
- Good food, pleasant placelive2eatDined on 10/25/2013We always enjoy our meals at Borobudur. The service was again friendly, efficient, and helpful without being intrusive. I went on a Friday and by the time I left the place was (deservedly) full, so be sure to reserve on weekend nights.Special Features:
- Authentic!Sleepless989Dined on 9/7/2013I've first tasted Indonesian food in the Netherlands and I love it! My Dutch friend recommended this restaurant in SF. And I'm impressed! Celebrated my birthday with good food! I now know where to bring my friends and family....It was worth the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodritusmartVIPDined on 9/6/2013We are regulars here, and we always get recognized immediately. Food is awesome, we come here especially for Roti Prata. We tried most of the items, and everything is good.Special Features:
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2013After all the raves, we were quite excited to attend but were surprised by the 'monotone' and, especially, excessive sweetness in the dishes. We were hoping for more spicy and 'clean' tastes.
- Food was so so. Food was likeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2013Food was so so. Food was like underspiced Yhai food. I have had better Indonesiam food at any Indonesian restaurant in Holland
- Authentic Indonesian foodBrunchtimeDined on 8/4/2013No need to dress up, just walk on in. A bit worn down looking. Typical cheap art on the walls, plasticy plants, etc. But you simply go for the food, that's it. Generous portions of authentic Indonesian fare. Roti prata was a great starter. Pleasant wait staff, but limited. Two people servicing a whole restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerAboubenadhemDined on 7/27/2013Nice atmosphere, uneven service at a quiet time, food very good. Good value, will return.Special Features:
- Tasty!MomoDined on 7/19/2013I was underwhelmed by the decor but the food was fresh and fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco Indonesian GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2013Found this restaurant doing a web search for something affordable but tasty for our out of town nephew. It was a quick walk, just a few blocks from the Grand Hyatt on Stockton street. Service was a tad bit slow but we were not in a hurry so no problem. Food was excellent and you don't have to worry about the double chili spice designations on the menu... those dishes were not too hot. Generous portions of tasty inexpensive food. What more could you want in the city?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a twistNickVIPDined on 7/4/2013If taste is all that matters then this restaurant is definitely the place for you. Each entree is prepared fresh, with authentic Indonesian flavors but a small twist on each plate. The presentation of each plate is unique and along with your tummy your hunger for sight will also leave satisfied. They don't have a bar and a very small wine list, but it's BYOB so you are surely welcome to bring in your favorite bubbly. The only place where it lacks is the ambiance, it's a small wall in the whole kinda place but they could definitely doll it up a little bit. But overall I had a fun time with my family and this was the second time I had donned there. Surely will come back for a third and the third time might be a charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodritusmartVIPDined on 6/23/2013Best place to get great Indonesian food, especially Roti Parata is awesome. Other entrees are tasty as well.Special Features:
- Delicious foodMadeleinetpVIPDined on 6/22/2013We can't wait to go back. Truly tasty food and charming service.
- Great FoodritusmartVIPDined on 6/7/2013Delicious Indonesian Food guaranteed, great price!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below averageCookerVIPDined on 5/26/2013We ordered the rice table; highlights for me were the soup and spring rolls. Otherwise everything else was average to below average. Service was friendly but slow. If you order the rice table, be prepared to eat a lot of dishes with peanut butter in them.
- The grilled trout and beefOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/26/2013The grilled trout and beef rendang were the standouts. For the uninitiated, not to worry, nothing here is too spicy, not even the items marked with 2 chili peppers. We also ordered the roti pratha manis for dessert, mostly out of curiosity - how could chocolate+peanuts+cheese work in a pancake?? Well, they made it work. The nutella overwhelms all the other flavors and the sprinkles of cheese mostly offers some texture rather than taste.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceLocalDinerDined on 5/18/2013We were late for our reservation, but because the restaurant was quiet, we were seated immediately. The server suggested that we either share one large bowl of soup or order smaller ones. The smaller bowl, plus shared spring rolls was just perfect for a pre-theater lunch. The staff were all very friendly and responded quickly to our requests. We were shocked when the bill came to under $20! So much for so little! We will be returning next visit to the theater district!Special Features:
- Food is good, service can be betterritusmartVIPDined on 5/17/2013Food is awesome as usual. I wish they recognize loyal patrons, I ordered extra curry for my parata, the hostess didn't seem to note it down, and I haven't got the extra curry. Lucky that, someone else cared for us, and got extra curry on request.Special Features:
- I don't believe they actuallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2013I don't believe they actually use the OpenTable reservation system. We got there at our reservation time and we still waited about 20 minutes for a table. There was no indication that they actually manage off of a reservation list. We sat for another 20 minutes before we even had water. Stomach was a bit sour by the end of the meal. I would consider trying again because my wife loves Indonesian food, but overall was not impressed.
- The food is good and veryEenieADined on 4/18/2013The food is good and very plentiful, especially the rijsttafel, its Indonesian tasting menu. Second time we've been there.
- Food awesome, service not!!!ritusmartVIPDined on 4/12/2013This is not my first time coming here. And, as I always say, food is awesome and delicious. As usual, service has some glitches. I had an open table reservation, but I had to wait for 10mins before someone looked at us, and were seated at a table. We looked into the menu for 5mins, and it took them good 15-20mins to get back to us take our order. We were hungry, and just hoped rest of the dinner would go fine, and it was fine. After we are done with our food, we waited again around 15mins for someone to get to us. Luckily, we were attended, got check and our leftover food was packed. We had to wait 10mins again for someone to take our credit card, and bring back the final bill. It should have been 1hr dinner, instead took 2hrs. Just saying!Special Features:
- Service here was on the poorerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2013Service here was on the poorer side. We had a reservation set for 7:45pm on a Saturday night, but were not seated until almost 8:00pm. Once we were seated, our server left us with no menus to browse through. We had to flag down a different server to get menus, and then we were rushed to give our drink orders. For food, we ordered their Rotti Prata appetizer. It was delicious! Hands down the best dish we had that night. We also ordered a spicy chicken in chili sauce. The chicken fell off the bones and the chili was just the right amount of spicy. We also had their garlic spinach dish and specially requested them to make it spicy. That was pretty good. We also had a beef dish that was made with coconut milk. OK in flavor but a bit chewy.Special Features:
- Go Somewhere Else...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/6/2013It was okay. I'm Indonesian and the food I had... it felt like I ordered it in a Chinese restaurant. All the food was good, but it didn't have the Indonesian seasonings or taste. The only thing that tasted Indo was the Gado-Gado. I won't be back to this "Indonesian" restaurant!
- The food was very fresh andLunchgoerVIPDined on 3/30/2013The food was very fresh and some of it was excellent. The overall palate was somewhat more limited than I had expected, but I ordered only vegetarian dishes. The service was absolutely fine for this sort of place, and the price was great. We had a wonderful time.
- As usual, Great!!!ritusmartVIPDined on 3/22/2013Great food like always!!! Lovely Roti Parata, and great entrees. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Some dishes were good. Others,OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/11/2013Some dishes were good. Others, like the gado gado and fish cakes need improvement. Or, maybe the fish cakes just shouldn't be on the menu. I could see this being a good place to bring a group. Then, you'd get to try more dishes. Rendang was good. So were the noodles.Special Features:
- As usualritusmartVIPDined on 2/22/2013Food is great, as usual. Roti parata is awesome, as usual. I needed refill for the curry, as usual, but the refill was not the same, totally different taste. Also, I had to wait 10-15 mins for the check after I am done with the food. Whenever I request my food for to-go when I order excess food, restaurant does the packing, this time we were given the box and waiter was like: pack it yourself. Bottomline, service can be improved, as usual.Special Features:
- The restaurant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013The restaurant experience fell a little flat for us this time. We ordered the roti prata, chicken satay, otak-otak, grilled trout with spicy sauce, beef rendang and vegetable curry. The roti was more doughy than falky, the otak-otak not spicy enough, the beef rendang not robust enough and the watery vegetable curry was the most disappointing. The grilled trout was the best dish for the evening. I have had better luck with the rice platters (eg. Nasi Padang). But there are still a lot of options in the future, so yes, I would return again.Special Features:
- excellent food! every dishOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/15/2013excellent food! every dish we ordered was delicious.Special Features:
- Yes2Rendeng,blackstickyrice,&rotiJimmy415Dined on 2/9/2013I attended this place for my birthday. Thanks to my reservation we were sat right away because there was a line and many others were coming in. We also got the table with the most window view. As recommended by others, the Rendeng was amazing. The other dishes we ordered were good but not exceptional. Also, one dish didn't arrive until much later :(. We ordered three desserts - black sticky rice with coconut milk, fried banana and ice-cream, and the roti. The sticky rice and roti are absolutely recommendable. I'm not sure if it's because the restaurant was exceptionally busy that night (i doubt this) or short-staffed, but service was quite slow and not much available. The waiter/waitresses, though nice, checked-in very very infrequentlySpecial Features:
- "Chicken" used in some dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/9/2013Although the gado-gado was absolutely delicious, I cannot recommend any restaurant that uses "flaked-and-formed" chicken and passes it off as the real deal. This was the case with the "chicken" skewers (with fake "grill" marks) and the other two dishes we had (shrimp and "chicken" fried rice and "chicken" curry). Moreover, these dishes weren't any less expensive because they use ersatz chicken--I can get the same thing at Costco. Too bad because otherwise this would have been a nice dining experience.
- Disappointing Food & EnvironmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2013With the reviews before mine speaking highly of Borobudur, I was very disappointed in this restaurant. Its a VERY casual restaurant, with low end tables, silverware and place settings. The food selections were okay, and the vegetarian selections were good, but the wine list is terrible, especially as they are situated in San Francisco. Two of the members of our table did the tasting menu, but it was a disappointment too, not only in taste, but because 6 different foods arrive at the same time, which means the last three get cold before you are able to get to them. I was entertaining a client at this restaurant and it was a big disappointment.
- The Padang (West Sumatran)OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013The Padang (West Sumatran) food was the best. Well worth a visit just for that. The gado-gado and nasi goreng I found unremarkable though. In my experience, gado-gado should have lontong in it... maybe a little time consuming to make, but I think worth it if they decided to do it. It also seems like one could easily sub artichoke hearts in for jack fruit too - but I'm not an expert on gado-gado. Maybe I'm used to one region and they're serving the style of another region. Man, their Padang food is good though. I ate Padang food in other places in Indonesia, but the only place I ever tasted food as good as Borobudur's was actually in Padang. I'm so happy there's a restaurant in SF that serves it.Special Features:
- All of the food was excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/15/2013All of the food was excellent, except for the overly "dressed" salad. The salad was swimming in peanut dressing which overwhelmed the vegetables.Special Features:
- I made reservations on OpenOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/1/2013I made reservations on Open Table. When I got there they had no recollection of that and had to wait over a 1/2 hour for a table. Food came out cold.
- Go only for the Beef Rendang!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 1/1/2013Here's what we had: Roti Prata - Good. Unfortunately, it wasn't as crispy as other pictures posted on Yelp. Fried Tofu - The coating on the outside has a weird texture and not palatable. The peanut sauce was very blend. Can't understand all the rave reviews on Yelp. Deep Fried Chicken Dumplings - Not good. The stuffing tasted like processed meat; hotdog. Chicken and Beef Satay - Beef was good, but chicken was very dry. Peanut sauce was too sweet. Beef Rendang - The best dish of the day. Tender beef and explodes with aromatic spices. Lamb Curry - Lamb cubes were terribly dry. Could not eat it. Mie Tek Tek - Good flavor, but the noodles were overcooked. Fried Honey Chicken - The leg was tasty and moist, but the breast was extremely
- Great ethnic eatery. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012Great ethnic eatery. Very reasonable prices and close to Union Square.Special Features:
- Great find Food is deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2012Great find Food is delicious , fresh and authentic
- Good indonesian food is hardOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/17/2012Good indonesian food is hard to find. Borobudur has it.