Max Brenner - Boston
745 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 617-274-1741x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 10:00am - 11:00pm
Fri - 10:00am - 1:00am
Sat - 9:00am - 1:00am (Brunch served from 10:00am - 3:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - 11:00pm (Brunch served from 10:00am - 3:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music play list.
- Cross Street: Between Fairfield and Exeter
- Public Transit: Take the MBTA towards Government Center. Our restaurant is located closest to the Copley Station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Meter street parking and garage parking at the Prudential Center across the street are available.
A word from Max Brenner - Boston
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Max Brenner - Boston - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Max Brenner - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (49)good for groups (49)kid-friendly (48)fit for foodies (46)hot spot (42)great for brunch (38)romantic (34)great for lunch (30)late-night find (22)great for outdoor dining (20)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Max Brenner's is a theme kindTamborineManDined on 4/21/2011Max Brenner's is a theme kind of place that kids will love. The novelty of the desserts and drinks is a unique dinning experience that will attract guests a few times. The waiters and management is very young - very new at this kind of work - very into each other and consequently very inattentive. The food is well conceived and presented. I'd go again to show the place to out of towners or youngsters who haven't been.Special Features:
- Good food & funOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2011Very good quality food; fun chocolate desserts for the entire family to share.Special Features:
- We went here for dinner andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/16/2011We went here for dinner and dessert to celebrate a friend's birthday. Definitely make reservations! We did and were seated right away, but groups without reservations had an hour wait. Dinner - large menu, food was good, but way overpriced. Dessert - we got the sampler platter and it was delicious. The menu says it's for two, but there were four of us and we still didn't finish everything. The service wasn't great and the tables were small and crowded together. I might consider going back just for dessert, but definitely not on a weekend night.Special Features:
- Non Friendly HostessOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/16/2011Very good food, great menu. Waiter was helpful and attentive.Special Features:
- If you like chocolate, thisOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/15/2011If you like chocolate, this is the place to go. As soon as you enter, you can smell the chocolate in the air. amazing.Special Features:
- I'm not sure why I would goFoodDined on 4/15/2011I'm not sure why I would go anywhere in back bay on the Friday before the marathon!!! I must be crazy. My reservation was for 8:30 and we were seated at 9:15. The place was WAY too crowded and noisy. The menu is amazing. I wanted everything! I got the tostones and friend got jambalya. mine was ok but a little over cooked, dry and Bland. My friends was really good and the desert ( fried banana with Carmel and chocolate) great. We loved our waitress and the bubbly girl in the chocolate shop up front who entertained us for 45 min while we waited for the table. So it's been open less than a month and needs 2 work some kinks out but overall love it!Special Features:
- Amazing Dinner and dessertRachelVIPDined on 4/15/2011Amazing Dinner and dessert menu! Overall great restaurant!Special Features:
- Just don't understand thisOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/15/2011Just don't understand this place. Go at your own risk.
- Service was horrid. ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/15/2011Service was horrid. Server was trying to rush service to flip the table. Avoid Nick as your server at all cost. After he got the hint that we weren't rushing through our meal, we were ignored until we flagged him down.
- Loud music/salty food/great dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/15/2011Dessert was great. Dinner food too salty. Music much too loud, especially for kids.Special Features:
- I was very happy with theOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/15/2011I was very happy with the steak panini I got. The ciabatta was crusty but not too hard at all. BUT the diet coke I got was just terrible..... I will return for the rich chocolate drink.
- Loved everything about theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2011Loved everything about the restaurant, except the noise level. It was hard to hear ourselves talk. Our waiter turned the music down, but at some point the system is programmed to come on full force when the lights are dimmed. Kevin, the bartender, was outstanding!!! Love the menu, love the choc, love the gift store. I'm definately going back and have been telling everyone I see to try Max Brenner's!!Special Features:
- We ate on a Sunday afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/10/2011We ate on a Sunday afternoon on a nice spring day and the restaurant was jammed! Luckily, we had a reservation and we were seated right away. The server was cute and friendly. She gave us plenty of time to peruse the menu, especially since this was our first visit. We tried the pizza, cobb salad and asparagus crepe. All good, portions very decent. Of course, we had to try dessert! The sampler seemed like a good opportunity to try a bit of everything and my 10yr old ordered the "max-wich" which was enormous. The only problem was, it may have been sitting awhile for pick up because the ice cream was melted by the time it reached our table. Must try at least once, but not sure if the food was good enough to be a regular stop.Special Features:
- It's a chocolate place. WhyCantabrigianVIPDined on 4/10/2011It's a chocolate place. Why it needed two hundred decibel music and third-rate sandwiches I don't know. As many on other forums have remarked- it will probably do okay with the first-time-only-time tourist but will probably not develop a following. And chocolate deserves better than this.
- The whole experience was justRedSoxFanVIPDined on 4/10/2011The whole experience was just OK, food is presented very well, but tasted just OK. Service is sparatic and too many mis-steps to be taken seriously for brunch. It felt like a Cheesecake Factory. Too many other great spots for brunch and coffee in the area.
- Incredible place. So gladOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/9/2011Incredible place. So glad it is finally in Boston!!!!Special Features:
- Was opening week, but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/9/2011Was opening week, but service was some of the worst I've ever received. Seated 45 mins past reservation, waiter put in the wrong order and generally was extremely slow. Food was fine but a tad expensive for portion size.
- Give it a month, or maybe a yearOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/9/2011Bad all around. was not seated for 30 mins from reservation time. no reason or timetable given. rude. service inexperienced. food overcooked. fish tacos soggy. Amateur.
- Bring a flashlight...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/9/2011The food and desserts were seriously delicious, but the drinks left much to be desired. The waiter was very solicitous and immediately offered to have the drinks made again, but the second go round was not an improvement. Not sure if this is a bar issue or a communication issue, but we were left with the impression that if you were planning to order drinks, stick with either an "and" drink, i.e. "gin and tonic" or "rum and coke," or the sweet concoctions from their menu that you must be 21 to order and no one over 22 should order. As to the flashlight comment, the lighting is dim dim dim. It gives a nice ambiance, especially for a cocktail lounge, but when you are trying to decipher a menu and wishing you still carried a lighter...Special Features:
- Great place to take a girlOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/9/2011Great place to take a girl out on a lunch date. Not only is the food there surprisingly good, but the chocolate menu is literally one of a kind.Special Features:
- It was interesting to seeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2011It was interesting to see the array of goodies as soon as one enters the place. as well as the smell of chocolate that greats you. If your crazy about chocolate as I am this is an amazing place to be, to calm you sweet cravings. I came here especially for the chocolate delights. Was an amazing experience.Special Features:
- While the food here is great,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/8/2011While the food here is great, the dessert - and especially the chocolate - is the star of the whole scene. From their "chocolate bar" (their alcoholic bar) to the Willy Wonka decor, this place screams Disney World for adults. The noise level was high, but the dessert distracted me from making any complaints.Special Features:
- go for the chocolateOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/8/2011our meal was average but the desserts blew it away. go for the chocolate and skip the rest. noise level was too high for us and it busy bar scene early on. the tables are very close together.
- Chocolate desserts were overkillpumpkinVIPDined on 4/8/2011Chocolate desserts were overkill - way too big and too much chocolate!
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2011I go out to dinner and drinks several times a week and this was hands down the worst experience I have had at any place in the city. We were a party of 4. It took 25 minutes to get our first round, 2 of the drinks were wrong and the wine pours were insulting. It took another 20 minutes to get our appetizer, which were the croquettes. They were delightful. 25 minutes after placing our dinner order our server mumbled that our order was never put in and they were out of the salmon dish I ordered. We didn't ask for a manager, but the server said one would come over - that never happened. We never had any water refills, despite several requests. After our desert came, we waiting 10 minutes for silverware. There were also issues with our bill.
- We knew the chocolate wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/8/2011We knew the chocolate would be fantastic, but the regular food was actually really, really good as well! We were pleasantly surprised, and can't wait to go back and try other things on the menu. And the dessert portions were huge, definitely enough to share!Special Features:
- Aside from the irritatingJessDined on 4/8/2011Aside from the irritating protestors outside, my group of friends had a perfect lunch at Max Brenner. The food was terrific, the hot chocolate was beyond good, and our waitress was awesome. We can't wait to go back and try out everything else on the menu!Special Features:
- chocolate paradiseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2011The best food i think i have ever put in my mouth. literally with every bite the chocolate would melt. the service was constant. they made sure our food was out and even though one of our drinks failed to come out on time with the other drinks, they gave it to us on the house, when we didn't even notice its delay. spectacular, def. recommending it to everyone i knowSpecial Features:
- I was meeting a friend forOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/6/2011I was meeting a friend for dinner in Back Bay and decided to try Max Brenner, which had just opened the week before (Early April). Overall the food was good, but there were some things to be ironed out with the service (there was almost one employee per diner, which was a little odd having that many people standing around and watching you eat). I would consider going back in a month or two again
- LOVED IT!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/5/2011Loved it from the moment I smelled the chocolate in the vestibule entering! And I did not even have any chocolate for dessert. Too full from the scrumptious man and cheese! Next time. :-)Special Features:
- Fair food...Finale is still on topOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/5/2011I was so excited for Max Brenner's to open in Boston! The atmosphere was great...very lively...waitstaff was very attentive. But, the food just wasn't that great. The waffle with berries/ice cream/chocolate was kind of hard and stale. I wished it was warm and gooey, like a Belgium waffle right off the waffle iron. The ice cream sticks were better, but nothing to write home about. I'd go back to taste a few other items, but if I'm looking for great, decadent dessert, I'm going to stick with Finale.Special Features:
- Save room for dessert!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2011The smell of chocolate as you entered was delightful. The staff was very welcoming, friendly and helpful. The sweets menu was very extensive and it was hard to chose. We had sliders (philly and brenner burgers) so we could leave room for dessert. The sliders and waffle fries were delicious and perfect portions. For dessert we shared the fondue sampler for two. It was more than enough for two. We roasted marshmallows, dipped fruits and brownies, and enjoyed the carmelized bananas on the waffle. Everything was great.Special Features:
- The appetizer and dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/4/2011The appetizer and dessert was great, the entree was ok. Extremely loud - you had to shout to be heard. Wine glass portions was disappointing, yet the Mohito was delicious. The manager tried hard to make up for the fair service.
- Fun atmosphere and great customerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/4/2011Fun atmosphere and great customer service. A wave of chocolate will hit you themoment you step through the door! Don't miss out on the dark chocolate Swiss hot cocoa...heaven!!!Special Features: