Max Brenner - Boston
745 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 617-274-1741x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 10:00am - 11:00pm
Fri - 10:00am - 1:00am
Sat - 9:00am - 1:00am (Brunch served from 10:00am - 3:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - 11:00pm (Brunch served from 10:00am - 3:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music play list.
- Cross Street: Between Fairfield and Exeter
- Public Transit: Take the MBTA towards Government Center. Our restaurant is located closest to the Copley Station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Meter street parking and garage parking at the Prudential Center across the street are available.
A word from Max Brenner - Boston
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Max Brenner - Boston - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Max Brenner - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (61)kid-friendly (57)good for groups (54)fit for foodies (53)great for brunch (46)great for lunch (39)hot spot (39)romantic (34)great for outdoor dining (28)late-night find (27)neighborhood gem (22)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great chocolate, slow serviceKBMcDined on 7/20/2014It took us two hours to eat because of the slow service. The waiter seemed overwhelmed. However the food was good and the chocolate desserts (the fondue, in particular) were awesome. It's a neat place to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- for tourists and 20 y.o. but...OrangeDined on 7/19/2014I have been a number of times since I have teens so our visits are mainly for them. The menu recently changed and improved so it is not just a chocolate stop. Usually a tourist and 20 y.o. crowd so I won't say this place is particularly kid-friendly; it really depends on the server. We had an excellent one for once (Vitali?) which made this a pleasant time. The one consistent complaint over the years is the hosting staff. Train them better. Even with reservations, they just don't get the table right (first seated us at a dirty table) and often they make you feel as if they could care less. Fortunately, the ill-treated start was soothed by the good chocolate finale so we will forget and return.Special Features:
- small portions, poor servicemomx4Dined on 7/19/2014Food was good, pizzas was good and size acceptable. Chocolate desserts were small, amount of melted chocolate for fondues and ice cream pops was ridiculously small esp for the price!! Poor service, had to ask for utensils, plates and napkins!! Stack of menus left on our table the entire meal, even after I asked she take them! Waitress added an extra dessert on our bill that we didn't order! Thinking this is a tourist spot that does not rely on return business.Special Features:
- GREAT comfort food!ASCCARLDined on 7/18/2014We love Max Brenners for comfort food! The chocolate Ambiance is wonderful! We loved the food and desserts and can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieVIPDined on 7/16/2014Good choice only down side...Very loud, need to shout to talk.Special Features:
- Not worth the hypeBahstonDinerDined on 7/10/2014Service was absolutely terrible and the mediocre food didn't make up for that in any way. Dessert was kitschy in presentation, but definitely didn't live up to the hype.
- deliciously richEkerDined on 7/7/2014Be prepared to indulge. All the food is very rich, and every plate is beautifully presented. I ordered the margharita panini which was overflowing with mozzarella. It's good to come on an empty stomach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over-ratedlooking4yumDined on 7/6/2014The only spectacular part of our meal was the truffle covered pecans we bought at the counter. The food was underwhelming.Special Features:
- Fun and uniqueMomof3Dined on 7/6/2014Max Brenner is a fun and unique dining experience. I went with my 10 year-old son and we both enjoyed it. They not only have good food but they have an entire menu dedicated to chocolate treats! From chocolate pizza and chocolate burgers to fondu and ice cream, Max Brenner is a delicious experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All thingsChocolateBruceDined on 7/6/2014While there are many menu items that have nothing to do with chocolate, the entire experience is one not to be missed. Menu offerings from standard fare to some with unique twists. Whatever you choose from the menu, leave room for dessert, as it's all about the chocolate. A great place for a special event, or just a quick bite to eat.Special Features:
- A Chocolate Haven!PreciousRose1Dined on 7/5/2014As a chocolate lover this place was amazing. The chocolate in each dish was just right, not at all over powering. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough dinner- a lot of mistakesDinwithkidsDined on 7/4/2014First time visit, trucked through rain to get there with two kids. Got bad table with bar members sitting at high top looking down on us, plenty of other tables moved to second best table next to kitchen enterance. Used restroom, soap dispenser on the ground, no paper towels, told wait staff, " Oh I know..." Ordered second beer, were out of that, please pick another. "really" Desert time, their time to shine with chocolate specials. 30 minutes for desert. Told they had to make it, sorry. Got a frozen piece of brownie. What a joke, plus was lied too. Not trying to sound too bitter, but it was a bad experience. Maybe just come for desert next time.Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014Service took a while to service us. Wasn't packed. Greeters was very nice. Music was a bit loud.Special Features:
- Not so good experiencelindamahDined on 7/1/2014We, myself and my nieces 12 and 15 went to have some fondue. We specifically went to Boston on the way home from a couple day trip to Salem, Ma. We are from RI. The restaurant lacks in ambiance compared to the one in New York City. The girls liked the fondue and I ordered a hamburger well done with no fries or bun. My hamburger was red in the middle and I was charged $14.95 for a hamburger with no bun and no fries. We would not go back
- my birthday!birthdaygirl27Dined on 6/29/2014First time at Max Brenner's. I have always passed by this restaurant and wanted to go, and I felt by birthday was a good reason. Lovely server! She was patience with us, which means a lot. The food is good. The special happy birthday plate was charming. I love chocolate, the drinks were spectacular. The ice cream was glorious. I just wished they're was more cake in the desert menu. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. I will come back for breakfast because that look appealing! Thank you for everything! Dream fulfilled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud. Not kidding.LoudDined on 6/27/2014I've been here before and while I'll come back, just know that the music is extremely loud to the point where you have to yell to have a conversation with your table mates. We made the mistake of going with a couple that have a sight impared child who relies heavily on sound and she was overwhelmed by the noise. I'd say the same would be true for hearing impared guests. Service was good and they tried to help but it was hard based on the space... It doesn't accommodate large parties well. So enjoy the desserts, the food, the drinks.... Just be ready for the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth one visit only.BigfoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014Over-priced menu with average food and limited selection. We really liked our first experience, enjoyed our 2nd trip, tolerated our 3rd visit because my young daughter wanted to go, but was fed up by our last meal there. The magic disappeared just like the staff when you needed them, and the service continues to decline. When it comes to a restaurant based on chocolate, I think we got "milked."Special Features:
- UghWolfie88VIPDined on 6/25/2014Not a fan. The college kids like it, that's why we went. The food is mediocre and the service is dreadful. Went on a Wed. night, busy but not crazy. I arrived earlier than my kids; they sat me and I waited for 12-15 min. without anyone coming over. I was going to have a glass of wine while waiting, but no luck. So I got up and left. I came back 25 minutes later with my kids. They sat us in nearly the same table - and the same thing happened! We sat there forever. Finally got someone to come over. She said, oh, let me get you some drinks. Then disappeared. Came back later with water which she proceeded to spill all over the table. No silverware and still no drink order. So many better places in Copley Square. Really.
- Once is enoughEatthisVIPDined on 6/24/2014The food was decent, but nowhere near good enough to be worth the price tag. If I'm going to pay 15 dollars for a sandwich, it better be good, and it better come with more than four French fries. That's right, you get a tiny bowl of four lousy waffle fries. How is that worth it? The dessert was decent, the service lackluster. I would never come here again. I can't imagine this place lasting much longer with the ridiculous prices they charge and the terribly tiny servings you receive. GO ANYWHERE BUT HERE
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/24/2014Hard to know this is a good spot for lunch, as it seems to be billed as a place for sweets. However, our party of three ordered three different dishes and each was very good. The desserts were even better! Portions of meals were on the small side, especially for the price, but turned out to be perfect as the food was rich and room was left for dessert. Dessert portions appear made to be shared.Special Features:
- soggy wafflenotadieterVIPDined on 6/22/2014Went for Sunday afternoon brunch, I ordered the chicken and goat cheese salad which came with a waffle. The waffle was soggy and limp. I mentioned this to the waitress. She states "Its from the heat from the salad" But the salad was cold. She didn't offer to bring another waffle and basically stayed away until the bill needed to be paid. Maybe I should have just stuck with the chocolate which this place is known for...Special Features:
- Bad Brunch BistroSpiderscotDined on 6/22/2014My parents took me here for a birthday brunch. It was pretty empty, but our server was MIA for the vast majority of the time. Twice we had to ask another server to hunt him down for us. Our meal was ok but my father's $10 waffle was so small it barely qualified as a side. The fondue we got for dessert was tasty and fun, but then it's kind of hard to screw up a chocolate fondue. While the desserts are good, I would never go here for brunch again. The portions are small and vastly overpriced.
- Expected More from...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014a place that claims to be "Creating a New Chocolate Culture". Had the fondue, which is about what I'd expect from Melting Pot. (Which isn't a bad thing, just not life altering). In a menu with 20-25 desert options, nothing stood out as a clear must have dessert. Also, very loud and chaotic.Special Features:
- food and drinks quality went downjaor21Dined on 6/21/2014Unfortunately they changed menu with that also the quality of food and drinks deteriorated. Ordered a mojito that tasted like it was made with Sierra mist. My date ordered a waffle sandwich and the waffle was all soggy. Next time I will go only for dessert.
- good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014the staff is attentive and careful. the food was excellent. extra orders e.g. marshmallow and fruits were reasonably pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honestly - Save your $$BenKristinDined on 6/20/2014Music was raunchy, the food was mediocre, and afterwards you might find yourself in diabetic shock. The deserts, the cornerstone of a "chocolate restaurant" were average (and definitely below my expectations). I would not recommend this place to a friend, family, co-worker. Best meal we have had in a while was at Stephanie's on Newbury St.
- Good food, lousy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/19/2014Our server may have been new, but there should have been someone over-seeing her. When three of her four tables ALL were served their food, but then had to ASK for silverware -- you would think she'd catch on and start bringing silverware with the menus! How frustrating to be served enticing, hot food only to wait for five minutes to be able to eat it. It happened to us and then to two other tables. It would have been comical, if it wasn't so annoying. We even canceled a drink order, since it didn't come by the time we were ready to leave. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- What a ShameOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/18/2014Great concept.. great menu.. very poor service.. filthy table and floors.. medicocre food execution. This was our second.. and last ..visit.. Walked out thinking "what a shame" .. it always comes down to management and right now this place needs some.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Celebrating a bday; the service wasn't good. Our food came, but no silverware, plates, napkins. We had to keep asking the wait staff. By the time they arrived, the food was cold.The food wasn't great-the sandwiches were cold and soggy. I have been to the Max Brenners in NYC and the Boston location should take some pointers. Wouldn't go here again
- great for dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Food is good, but you really go to Max Brenner for the chocolate dessert. They have every kind of chocolate (including fondue) that you can imagine. Great to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great Service 4 Bridal-to-be DinnerBoston90Dined on 6/7/2014Came on a Saturday night with a couple of girlfriends for a Bachelorette Dinner. Our server, Willie, was the best server I've ever had! He was attentive & friendly. Asked me what the bride-to-be's name was while she was in the restroom, after dessert he brought out a plate with her name and congrats written in chocolate with a couple of chocolate covered strawberries!! I would definitely recommend Max Brenner's for chocolate enthusiasts or special occasions! As for the food, the Spinach Artichoke Dip appetizer & Burgers (Regular & Veggie) were great. I thought we would get cocoa powder on the waffle fries, didn't see or taste any. Guess you have to ask for this specifically. We shared a dessert pizza. Death by dessert! Drinks are good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & locationMeganDined on 6/7/2014We have been there few times, last time was for my 12 year old daughter's birthday. Everyone (kids & adults) loved the food and their yummy drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- should have been betterDrMomDined on 6/5/2014The food was fine, but not great and not worth the expense. This could be a great place. It is a great idea, but not executed well. Our waiter never stopped trying to let us know how lucky we were to be there. Wrong - A restaurant should always remember that they are lucky that we showed up. Save your money and go somewhere that knows how to give you some great food for a better price.
- Go for dessert!luvschocolateDined on 5/28/2014The Apps and Dessert steal the show. Fun for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingPickyEaterDined on 5/24/2014Everything we ordered was amazing! The omelette with spinach was great. The biscuits were amazing. The sugar waffle with ice cream and chocolate topping was unbelievable! Wish I could rewind and have it all again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 906 reviews are from the Max Brenner - Boston reviews archive.
- Don't eat the non-dessert foodAlissaVIPDined on 5/18/2014It's clear Max Brenner isn't trying to create repeat customers - their service and food was of the poorest quality of any restaurant on Boylston I've eaten at (and I've eaten at most). I had a waffle sandwich (they have a couple of them) and I was excited to try an innovative sandwich that looked delicious on others' tables. It was so bad - the prosciutto tasted over processed and old, and there was barely anything else in the sandwich. My friend and I got $13 Bloody Marys that were half of the size of regular ones (for twice the price) and they lacked all garnishments. Maybe it's good for chocolate, but definitely avoid for brunch or anything besides dessert. However I won't be trying the chocolate because our server was slow and rude.Special Features:
- Max BrennerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Max Brenner is one of my all time favorite places! It has a fun atmosphere, great location, delicious food, and a quirky menu. The fondue is to die for.Special Features:
- Awesome Place!jzfields1Dined on 5/16/2014It's always a ton of fun to have dessert here - it's loud, but I highly recommend for an end to a cool date.Special Features:
- AwesomeLauraDined on 5/15/201410 words: DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU ARE ON A DIET. Eggs are yummy!!! The chocolate dipping sauce is great! The chocolate cookie sundae is yummy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chocolate Lover's Dream!BostonDinerVIPDined on 5/13/2014If you love chocolate, this is kind of like paradise. You smell the chocolate from the moment you walk in, and the menu has everything you'd want in terms of chocolate. Chocolate martini - yum. Chocolate chunk pizza - plenty for 2 to share, and with bananas, peanut butter, marshmallow, chocolate and caramel, what's not to love? We finished up with European fondue, plenty of fruits, cookie and brownie chunks, and 3 types of chocolate. Our server was terrific, and we left feeling pleasantly stuffed. Awesome.Special Features: