Medium Rare - Cleveland Park
3500 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Medium Rare - Cleveland Park
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mediumrarerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2022371432
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30 pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Saturday 5:00 - 10:30, Sunday: 2:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Medium Rare - Cleveland Park
Reservations are not required. Contact us for large parties or special events. Feel free to contact us regarding our seating policy. Yes, we do serve brunch/lunch on Sunday with a great prix fixe including French Toast, Steak and Eggs, Eggs Benedict and bottomless bloody Marys, mimosas and screwdrivers. During the evenings, Medium Rare offers a unique, prix fixe dinning experience of artisan bread; a mixed green salad; prime, dry-aged steak; and hand-cut fries in a relaxed, fun, neighborhood environment. As we do only one thing, we do our best to make the food and experience exceptional and also a good value. There are only a few wine, spirits, and draft beer choices, but each were selected specifically to accompany your meal. We offer an off-the-menu vegetarian option. Please contact us to inquire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Medium Rare - Cleveland Park reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)great for outdoor dining (56)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (24)great for brunch (23)special occasion (18)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (13)romantic (9)notable wine list (5)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Best $20 steak dinner in DC.....Arruss1VIPDined on 12/26/2013Yum!! Not complicated- the only choices you'll have to make are beverage and dessert. Dinner consists exclusively of bread, salad, steak, & fries. Wouldn't necessarily think it's all that until you taste it......they have perfected those four articles of eating. Steak cooked to your liking and slathered in a special sauce that tastes just as great on the fries. Desserts are sizable, eye candle, and tongue candy.....chances are you'll be full long before a dessert is offered. Have eaten here several times and consistently 1) the music too loud and 2) the restaurant is busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple and goodToniMarshDined on 12/24/2013We went to Medium Rare on Christmas Eve and it was perfect - a dark and cozy space full of light and warmth. The simplicity of the menu brought me there - I was intrigued - and it lived up to my expectations. The food was really good and exactly what it was supposed to be. I love that they bring it in halves so that it stays hot and there's never too much food on the plate. We sat right next to the open kitchen and it was great fun to watch the wonderful chefs at work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bang for your buck!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/23/2013I continue to dine at Medium Rare because they always deliver a quality meal for a reasonable price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice.CaptanneDined on 12/23/2013The gimmick is almost identical to a restaurant we used to have in Georgetown, for those who remember Le Steak. However, since they only do steak here -- I give it four stars overall because the steak just isn't that brilliant. It's fine. It's steak. The desserts we had (key lime pie and fudge sundae) were so slathered in tinned whipped cream that they got lost. The service was great! The bar is fine -- wines and a hard liquor selection that was described as "whiskey, vodka and scotch." Just like that. So I think it's probably all cheap. I don't drink myself so I didn't have any. The restaurant is a tight fit and dark but the ambiance is very warm and snug. I like it a lot and I recommend having dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSteveDined on 12/18/2013This was a great place to eat. Menu is set, but as long as you like fries and beef you shouldnt have a problem. The food is wonderful, especially with the gravy that they use.Special Features:
- The restaurant only servesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/12/2013The restaurant only serves a fixed menu. The food is fine. But it's a one-trick pony and after going once, just to see if the steak was any good - I don't have to go back.Special Features:
- Brunch was a great dealRFHHHHHHHDined on 12/8/2013The food was very good, as always, but you only get one serving of steak and fries. The parfait was terrific. They weren't stingy with the bottomless mimosas, but they could have been quicker on the draw.Special Features:
- Good food, but negative directionJakeFoodieVIPDined on 12/4/2013I have generally enjoyed my meals at Medium Rare, but this last time, they had the recorded music turned up so loudly that my fellow diner and I had to practically shout. What is it with restaurants believing that 100 decibels of sound will make their eatery seem "hop and happenin'." This doesn't make me want to hurry back.
- Just Love itJessicaDined on 12/2/2013I love the whole concept of this restaurant, it's so simple, so efficient and the food is amazing. Dying to know what's in the special sauce. Always a favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick and DeliciousMaryVIPDined on 11/21/2013We needed a place for a nice, but quick birthday dinner before going to a lecture at Hillwood and Medium Rare was the perfect choice. Arriving early, we had the wait staff's full attention and our request to turn down the music just a bit was met with an "absolutely", which made conversation much easier. The salad is light and tasty, the bread was warm. And I still love the fact that you get a hot second serving just at the right time. I will go there again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One perfect menuktstritzDined on 11/20/2013This fixed menu is superb. This steak house does an amazing job, and I think by having one menu they are able to get amazingly high quality steak. The sauce was divine, and my plate was never empty for long. Not good for vegetarians/vegans, but I really enjoyed it. I brought my friend for his birthday and it was a great meal for a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!FromRaleighDined on 11/20/2013Found this restaurant on Open Table simply by looking in a neighborhood close to my conference hotel. I meet my colleague for a steak dinner on the first night of every conference. Easy to get to; right by a Metro stop. The fixed menu is steak, frites, salad, and the most wonderful bread! Modeled after a restaurant in France, I loved this restaurant. Great value. Wonderful food. Friendly staff. Would definitely go back when I'm in the area.Special Features:
- nice for a dinner datejulieDined on 11/11/2013went here Monday night for a nice romantic dinner date. the food was great and the ambiance was nice. it's a clean cut simple menu, which helps fickle minded people like me. all in all a great experience, except for the end when it took us forever to get our check. that made it difficult to catch the MNF kick off in time. but really, no complaints and we would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner, less so for bruchnsrokaDined on 11/10/2013While the food has been great both times I've been to Medium Rare, the service at Brunch left a lot to be desired. While we had no time getting drinks refilled at dinner, it was a chore to get my coffee freshened at brunch -- and skim milk was randomly subbed for half-and-half. I'll definitely recommend this place for dinner, but, brunch, not so much.Special Features:
- too noiseyLindaVIPDined on 11/7/2013This was my second visit in less than 2 months and I will likely not return due to the NEW noise level. I was told by the hostess that there was no place quieter to sit and that the noise level was here to stay. It was very difficult to carry on a conversation with my dinner partner.
- Great food at a great priceGPM88Dined on 11/4/2013The $20 price fixe can't be beat for value. All the dishes came out quickly, and they split the meat into two servings so the steak you eat is always warm. The wine list could use some improving (not too many choices), but I will definitely be coming back again soon.Special Features:
- Maybe give some variationsdgrovesDined on 11/3/2013Maybe give some variations with the potato. Like mashed or baked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the evening with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/3/2013Enjoyed the evening with friends from the neighborhood. Thank you.Special Features:
- medium rare is a great spotPickypickyVIPDined on 10/27/2013medium rare is a great spot for a predictable but great meal that the whole family loves.Special Features:
- Steak Night OutFoodie4everDined on 10/23/2013I had always been curious about this Cleveland Park restaurant and had a "hankering" for meat so made a reservation. I was surprised to get the fixed price steak only menu but it turned out to be perfect. The steak was amazing and the fries crispy and light. The wine list is very good and reasonably priced. Since there are no choices to make other than how you want your meat cooked, it is perfect for a group and you can share a bottle (or two) of wine! The deserts are extra but absolutely work it - especially the carrot cake. It's not a restaurant I would go to often but when you want a good steak and fries dinner you can't do much better for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went to Medium Rare forJasmineVIPDined on 10/22/2013I went to Medium Rare for the first time this week with three women friends. It is conveniently located near the Uptown Theater in Cleveland Park. I asked for a quiet table and was accommodated with a great window table in a corner. We were there at an early, hour, but and the noise level was moderate. However, as the restaurant filled up the noise level increased to energetic. The menu is simple and the food is delicious and so plentiful that we each took home leftover steak and fries. We shared an enormous hot fudge sundae for dessert. We all enjoyed the meal and we'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What they do, they do wellKathDined on 10/20/2013If you want steak frites, this is the place. If you want anything else; so somewhere else.Special Features:
- Great SteaksDCdinerDined on 10/17/2013My wife and I dined at Medium Rare on aThursday night to celebrate her birthday. From the time we stepped in the staff was friendly and accomodating. The environment was full of energy and service was speedy and accurate. Food tasted amazing and they even provide you with seconds. For dessert we recommend the triple chocolate layer cake. Perfect for your chocolate fix. If you haven't dined hear yet and you're in the DC area, you have to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak and Frieszlie17Dined on 10/15/2013A pre fixe menu with just salad, steak and fries means it better be done really well. and it really isn't a disappointment. Even something as simple as the salad is full of flavor, and the steak with the sauce, oh the sauce is what makes it! I want to know what's in it but then I don't want to know! We love coming here! and really want to make it over there for brunch one of these days!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak...made anewScholar123Dined on 10/14/2013Medium Rare is a succulent offering of modern meets rustic ambiance and perfect steak. Go once and you're a fan for life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchRKSEaterVIPDined on 10/13/2013Steak and eggs are solid. Bread, salad, poached egg, steak and all you can drink. You can't go wrong!Special Features:
- Seems like portions have beendcdinerDined on 9/29/2013Seems like portions have been cut down. Asked for sauce on the side, but order came with sauce on the steak.
- Great food; Great place; Easy MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/22/2013This is a great place to take a date, or a large group. The fixed menu and price is so easy, AND the food is so good. I've been here many times: always consistently great. Plus, since they serve your meal in a two stage process, it's always hot. If you still have room, the desserts are amazing.Special Features:
- Great Bottomless BrunchHaley2013Dined on 9/22/2013Their fixed brunch menu is fairly limited, but delicious! Pair great food with bottomless mimosas, screwdrivers, and bloody marys, and you have a very solid Sunday morning/afternoon. My only complaint is with the loud 80s music coming from the speaker just above our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Hit The Jackpot with Medium Rare!BVIWMNDined on 9/17/2013I was hosting five college freshmen wanting steak. I couldn't have done better than Medium Rare! Easy to get to, with the food and ambiance we were looking for at an amazing price. I was so happy I found it and I'm sure we'll return often.Special Features:
- Date NightKMM4Dined on 9/16/2013This restaurant provided a great and affordable place to have a date night. It was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UndecidedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2013The vanilla yogurt parfait with dried fruit was a tasty surprise for brunch. The bread was crusty and delicious with butter. The Bloody Mary was bland, and the Eggs Benedict was a soggy piece of bread (toast?) with a mushroom and steak hash topped by eggs. Can't say I would go back for the food, but the restaurant was very accommodating when we made a reservation and needed to increase the size of our party at the last minute. It has its plusses. The younger people in our group came with us because they had been here for dinner and thought it was great.
- Good food, ambiance just okayKateVIPDined on 9/8/2013The food was excellent, as it is expected for a fixed menu. The bread is outstanding. It would be greatly improved with much better music (ultra loud 90s alternative rock does not quite fit with steak frites) and they would do well with simple, new plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to Cleveland ParkMarinuchaVIPDined on 9/1/2013For those of you familiar with France's "L'Entrecote", "Rare Medium" offers the same reasonably fixed priced model for steak frites. Though the food is not bottomless, "Medium Rare"'s fix price includes rustic bread with soft butter, followed by a fresh salad, and 2 helpings of steak cooked at your desired temperature, accompanied with frites and a delicious special sauce for $19.95. Compliment your meal with a nice bottle of Bordeaux for under $40 and you got yourself a lovely French meal. Not too complex, but correctly executed. Service is friendly, and there is plenty of outdoor space, if the inside is too noisy. Will definitely return next time my craving for steak frites kicks in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doing the basics well.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2013The steak and frites are good here, but so are the bread and the salad. The "secret sauce" that comes with the main course is absolutely addictive, and heavenly in combination with the frites. The steak is good, but sliced almost too thin. Regardless, an enjoyable meal, and most importantly, an affordable one if you want steak frites.Special Features:
- Great Brunch - Good DinnerTravelerDined on 9/1/2013We've been twice for brunch and once for dinner. Brunch is delicious, generous and fun. Dinner salad is very good, frites are outstanding and steak was good. Service is very good - a little hurried since the atmosphere is always a bit hectic. And the tables close together. Desserts have been wonderful and large enough to easily share. Definitely a family neighborhood spot - always a good number of children there but also lots of young singles groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperiencePassinThruDined on 9/1/2013We randomly found Medium Rare while searching online for a Brunch spot to hit while on our way back to Delaware. It was right off the Metro and we were seated right away. Brunch was very tasty, and the bottomless Momosas just kept coming. The staff was very attentive and friendly. I haven't had that good of a dining experience without a suit and tie. I will return to Medium Rare the next time back in the DC area. Make sure to try the French Toast and Artisinal Sausage.Special Features:
- Worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2013In a city full of over-priced restaurants Medium Rare is a good deal. If you like steak with salad and french fries. That is the only thing they serve (plus dessert). They do it well. It's no nonsense and it's worth the price.
- Almost like Paris!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2013Their menu is like Entrecote in Paris! All you have to do is tell them how you would like your steak cooked. I have been to Entrecote several times, and was anxious to try Medium Rare. I have to say, it is almost as good! Great atmosphere and great food. The sauce is different than in Paris, but is quite good. And, just like Entrecote, they offer you seconds. Will definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing BrunchkevrardDined on 8/25/2013A friend recommended this restaurant for brunch. The waiter didn't explain how the pricing works for brunch and anything on the menu. The food was okay. I ordered the french toast which was heavily fried and had to be picked around. My friend ordered a second entree which never arrived. The ambiance was loud, busy, and crowded.Special Features: