1555 Camino Del Mar Suite 201
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shimbashiizakaya.com/
- Phone: 8585230479x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri:11:30am-2:00pm, Sat&Sun:12:00pm-3:00pm
Dinner: Mon-Fri:4:00pm-10:00pm, Sat&Sun:3:00pm-10:00pm
Happy Hour: Mon - Fri:4:00pm-6:00pm, Sat&Sun:12:00pm-6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Shabu-shabu, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Shimbashi Be Your Chef - Fresh sushi made right in front of you!
If you're looking for a unique way to cater your next event, let us come to you. Shimbashi offers delicious, elegant party trays and on-site catering for business functions and private parties. Shimbashi’s chef will prepare fresh, high-quality sushi in front of your guests, bringing a unique flair of entertainment to your occasion.
To start planning your event menu, please contact us at 858-523-0479.
- Special Events: SHIMBASHI Izakaya is available for your special occasion, business meetings or private parties. We can tailor make a menu to fit your budget; relax and enjoy fresh sushi and sake, inside or on our ocean-view patio.
Please call Hideko Edwards at 858-523-0479 to discuss your needs.
A word from Shimbashi Izakaya
Shimbashi's theme is based on the Izakaya, a Japanese tapas restaurant. We offer a multi-faceted menu that can be used as a pairing with sake for the light eater or sophisticated dinner entrées served in the Japanese tradition. Our menu changes with the season making each dining experience a new adventure.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Shimbashi Izakaya - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Shimbashi Izakaya reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (28)scenic view (22)fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (11)special occasion (9)romantic (9)good for groups (7)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- We were in San Diego for theMuncherVIPDined on 9/22/2012We were in San Diego for the weekend & was fortunate to be able to try this gem of a restaurant in Del Mar. The food was great, ambience extremely nice & service was excellent. Only snag though was the confusion getting to the restaurant as there were many exits which leads only to certain areas & we'd to walk around for a bit before finding it.
- The food was good, but tooalisongDined on 9/11/2012The food was good, but too pricey for me. I've had better sushi for less.Special Features:
- Fresh Fish, Beautiful View!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2012This was one of the first restaurants we went to after moving to San Diego. We watched the sunset from our table on the outdoor patio overlooking the coast of Del Mar. The fish is absolutely incredible, freshly caught. The menu is huge and great for vegetarians and carnivores. My favorite: the rainbow roll, philly roll, and salmon/tuna nigiri. Also, the cucumber/seaweed salad is a must-have. We went again on our anniversary and were treated to an amazing complimentary dessert, which was a combination of various mochi and pastry options. The pear cake was the chef's own recipe and mouth-watering. We will be frequenting this place. Not cheap, but worth every penny. The staff is friendly, but you might have to call them over sometimes.Special Features:
- It took fifteen minutes forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2012It took fifteen minutes for anyone to come to our table, despite there being few other patrons. A waitress only came by once during our meal, and we ran out of water. The food was ok, but the bones in the fish were a bit unappetizing.
- Delicious food complimentedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/1/2012Delicious food complimented by fabulous service and an awesome view. And even option for our non-sushi friends. Doesn't get much better.Special Features:
- Very pleasant surprise; bestguyzzDined on 8/31/2012Very pleasant surprise; best sushi in the area in terms of interesting menu including sake selection, outstanding quality and presentation. Great service. This will definitely be a regular place for us.Special Features:
- Sushi in a great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2012Outstanding sushi in a great location, but waitresses were not exceptionally kind and accommodating. It's quite pricey but that's not surprising given the location.Special Features:
- Great food and sake selection. OBillyfromPhillyDined on 8/25/2012Great food and sake selection. Outdoor seating has very little privacy.Special Features:
- Food used to be great. Expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2012Food used to be great. Expensive. Did not mind paying the price when the food was excellent, but no anymore. We were disappointed with the quality of food. Or should I say "lack of" quality...Special Features:
- I think this just may be theGRIZZLYVIPDined on 8/7/2012I think this just may be the finest jaapanese eatery in all of San Diego. Serving staff is very, very authentic. Food is perfect. The menu is a piece of art. A little pricy, but worth it. Gold stars for everyone!Special Features:
- The food was very fresh andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2012The food was very fresh and the service was excellent. The restaurant has an open feel. Looking at the ocean while sitting at the sushi bar is pretty romantic.Special Features:
- Great food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2012Great food, great service, great location! But it's a little bit pricey.Special Features:
- Fresh, innovative, and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2012Fresh, innovative, and delicious sushi tucked away in the Del Mar Plaza. Most definitely a gem of a restaurant I'll return to.Special Features:
- Great view, average appetizers/sushPick6KBDined on 7/13/2012Great view, average appetizers/sushi, especially considering how expensive the meal is. Much better food at Sushi Ota in Mission Bay or Harney's in Old Town for a slightly lower price.Special Features:
- Great sushi. On the spendyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2012Great sushi. On the spendy side. A very small ocean view.Special Features:
- Nice variety of Japanese smallHappyguyVIPDined on 6/23/2012Nice variety of Japanese small plates, friendly service and fun patio with views. Great drink list too, including a variety of Japanese beers, saki and shochu.Special Features:
- great interesting food withSausalitoVIPDined on 6/18/2012great interesting food with friendly service. try the octopus with wasabi sause and the salmon skin salad.Special Features:
- We ordered washyu beef whichTheFoodieVIPDined on 6/13/2012We ordered washyu beef which was well done so it was not like the melt-in-your mouth beef like we tasted in Japan. We also ordered beef shabu shabu which was only good for one but the taste is fine. It was a nice experience as you don't see these menu in most Japanese restaurants.Special Features:
- Always beautiful presentationscatitaVIPDined on 6/9/2012Always beautiful presentations and delicious. We are not regulars, but have dined here 3 times before and always at the sushi bar. This time, the sushi chefs did not make any conversation with us and barely acknowledged our presence. Al ordering happened through our waitress. Disappointed with their lack of interacting with us.Special Features:
- Shimbashi never disappoints!SuzeDined on 6/6/2012Fantastic as always. Shimbashi never disappoints. I think I have tried just about all of their specialty sushi rolls. I will keep coming back.Special Features:
- Came here with my boyfriend'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2012Came here with my boyfriend's family and relatives from Japan for his graduation celebration. Food was great and Hideko, the owner, was so sweet. We've been here multiple times before and always had excellent food and service, but had never come with a group before - we were not disappointed. There is a beautiful scenic view, the food is excellent, and the service is excellent. A great place all around.Special Features:
- We sat at the sushi bar. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012We sat at the sushi bar. The sushi chefs never greeted us, never smiled, never said anything to us, even when asked for more ginger. Even though we watched them being made, the rolls tasted like they were 3 days old and were cut so thin (1/4 inch) you couldn't pick it up in one piece . Nothing was fresh. And it was excessively overpriced, even for Del Mar.
- A Real Japanese Inn in Del MarOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/5/2012Friendly and welcoming staff, unpretentious service, authentic Japanese cuisine and a nice view of the ocean and sunset...a real izakaya in Del Mar!Special Features:
- Total YUM!SuzeDined on 4/28/2012Outstanding as always. Had the Silverio roll, La Fresca roll and plain udon. Total YUM. I was glad we had an Open Table reservation for 6:45 on a Saturday. The group in front of us had to wait 30-45 mins.Special Features:
- It's a quaint venue with GREATAHW1174VIPDined on 4/4/2012It's a quaint venue with GREAT sushi! They have other options if you are not into raw fish, which are great as well. The servers are super friendly and always attentive to your table!Special Features:
- Sushi w/a ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/1/2012What a lovely sushi bar at the Del Mar Plaza. The servers and the sushi chefs were all very attentive, quick, and energetic during Happy Hour. We'll be back again with friends. We celebrated our 18th anniversary and enjoyed a tiramisu (OK, it's not mochi/Japanese dessert) at the end of our meal. The edamame was super fresh and the rolls were excellent.Special Features:
- The food was overpriced forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012The food was overpriced for the quality and small portions. The view is great, but that's about it. There Is definitely much better sushi places in San Diego.Special Features:
- Lucky finddeekayVIPDined on 2/2/2012Stumbled upon Shimbashi while on a business trip with 5 other colleagues. We ordered many dishes to share, which were all very solid. However, the ramen was not.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/17/2012This restraunt was very nice. The food was great, lost of different sushi to try. The service was very great and the atmosphere was great! Good experience and would go back!Special Features:
- I have been there for theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/15/2012I have been there for the special event "motchisuki".it was very good, food, music, service and animation.very good moment with friends.Special Features:
- Tasty but rich for my bloodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/14/2012Excellent quality sushi, though a bit pricey for my taste. I likely would not have gone if I hadn't bought a Living Social coupon. The ambiance was tasteful and chic without being pretentious. The drink list was extensive, including a number of handmade cocktails featuring sake and shoju. I liked their unique take on salads and appetizers, and the sushi was delicious. If price were no object, I would definitely go there more regularly.Special Features:
- I love Japanese food, andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/6/2012I love Japanese food, and I really enjoyed all of the selections. Toro sashimi...*drool*. Just keep in mind it IS in Del Mar, so it's a little pricey, but on the whole, it was an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Great place to go, great menu,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2011Great place to go, great menu, great food........Too cold in the winter inside......Special Features:
- They were packed. We hadOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/26/2011They were packed. We had to eat on the patio where there were few functional heaters. It was very cold and not a pleasant experience.
- The quality of the food hasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/26/2011The quality of the food has been a pleasure in this Del Mar Plaza restaurant with a "family run" ambiance. We always return.Special Features:
- This place is awesome! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2011This place is awesome! The view of the Ocean is gorgeous. Free parking available with validation. The food was fantastic. Try the eel!Special Features:
- cute, pricey sushi placeinanoysterDined on 12/23/2011Sushi rolls were good and food was fresh. But note, prices are pretty high for the amount of sushi that you get (some of the rolls consisted of 5 pieces that were a very small, bite-size each...which probably wouldn't do much for filling you up if you and a friend only order two rolls).Special Features:
- You can have real tasty JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/16/2011You can have real tasty Japanese dish as well as Americanized Japanese dish here. Sashimi and oyster are really fresh. There was no fishy smell. That means fresh.Special Features:
- Excellent Japanese izakaya-styleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/10/2011Excellent Japanese izakaya-style food, very fresh fish, very high quality ingredients, nice cozy well-appointed atmosphere, creative menu, big sake list. I'd definitely return. My wife, who's from Tokyo, really enjoyed it. Would have excellent ocean view from patio during daylight/sunset. Prices are a bit high, but typical for this area of Del Mar.Special Features:
- Overall the food here is good.JasmineDined on 11/7/2011Overall the food here is good. The Del Mar Roll was missing something so I'd give that a miss. The ceviche though was amazing! We were seated inside but they had the doors to outside open so it was freezing inside the restaurant which took away from the experience.