Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
645 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southernhospitalitybbq.com/
- Phone: 2122651000
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed:
12:00 pm - 12:00 am
Thu - Fri:
12:00 pm - 1:00 am
Sat - Sun:
11:30 am - 1:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Frank Debons
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We have three separate private dining areas, that can accommodate groups from 20-300 people. Our event planners will be happy to develop a menu and beverage package to suit you needs.
- Cross Street: 45th Street
- Public Transit: We are a few blocks away from Times Square and the Port Authority.
The following subways lines stop nearby: A, C, E, 1, 2, 3 N, R, M, S
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are numerous parking lots nearby. The closest is right around the corner on 45th street between 9th and 10 Avenues.
A word from Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY is an authentic Memphis-Style BBQ restaurant and bar. We boast some of the finest southern food found this side of the Mason Dixon Line. We feature traditional specialties including Dry Rubbed BBQ Ribs, Sweet and Sticky Baby Back Ribs, Crispy Southern Fried Chicken, Fried Pickles, and Mac & Cheese that you'll never forget. Our Southern fare is complimented by juicy corn fed Steaks, grilled jumbo Gulf Shrimp with Rosemary Grits, and lighter fare like our Watercress and Praline Salad, and Grilled Salmon with Black Eyed Peas. In addition to our fine cuisine, we offer a full line of draft beers, an extensive list of sipping tequilas, and over 50 of the Country's finest Bourbons. World renown wine expert, Gary Vaynerchuk, has hand selected an eclectic wine list that pairs beautifully with our diverse menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Hell's Kitchen ›
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (61)neighborhood gem (49)great for lunch (45)fit for foodies (38)great for brunch (38)vibrant bar scene (29)hot spot (27)kid-friendly (26)late-night find (21)special occasion (12)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (5)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Justin would be disappointedRedPhoenix322Dined on 4/27/2014One word description is "overrated". We made reservations and was quickly seated a Sunday afternoon. The waiter we was OK but inattentive at times. The food was nothing special. Fried chicken tacos were less equivalent to McDonald's McWraps. Who serves tacos without cheese, salsa, or avocado? The fried chicken platter was not crispy and not marinated enough to be considered southern cooking. The disco tots did not enough cheese and gravy was bland. The coleslaw was also bland. The lemonade could have caused diabetes. The good thing was the live band, the ambiance, and the appetizers. The fried green tomatoes and bacon mac and cheese rolls were really good. The nutella sundae was delish. I'd go here for appetizers, dessert, and drinks.Special Features:
- A hot spot in the City with Soul!MarinaJDined on 4/25/2014My friends and I finally found a great hot spot in the city that has soul!!!! The wait staff is friendly and very helpful. Looking forward to goin back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was just okayMaelyseDined on 4/23/2014The service was great. The staff was attentive. The food was just barely ok. My husbands fried chicken was taseless. He said KFC has more flavor. My brisket was tender, but they just drizzled a little bbq sauce on the top piece. The rest was naked. The greens were so salty I couldn't eat them. We were in the backroom so it seemed less busy and we were able to hold a conversation. We are Long Islanders. We like to try differenct restaurants when we come into the the city. If we like it, we add to our list of "Must do Again". Don't think we'll be going back.
- Easter BrunchTravelGirlDined on 4/20/2014Had Easter brunch there. Male host was extremely nice and accommodating when I said we'd be late for our reservation. Nice little restaurant. Food came out quick. Bacon was great, Dad loved his French Toast. Biscuits and gravy your typical average, like everywhere else. Mom didn't like the coffee. Our waitress was very impersonal. Definitely didn't seem to want to be there. Busboys were much more attentive. Overall I think it's an average place. I've heard they have great Mac & Cheese. Maybe I'll try the lunch or dinner menu next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing & PriceyYumYum24Dined on 4/19/2014a kids mac n cheese could fit in the palm of my hand so we got the adult portion, which is double the kids portion. Could not believe how little food for over $16! Didn't even come with ANY side! Kids did not like as is very heavy and very cheesy. Cobb salad boring - nothing special philly cheese appetizer was best of the 4 meals
- ohenryohenryVIPDined on 4/17/2014The food was good but they should have had the utensils, the sauces on the table before they sat me down. The server was very friendly to me and I am greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchjanetfromLouisianaDined on 4/13/2014Had a lovely brunch with my son and bottomless Mimosas! Bracket, our waiter, did an excellent job of checking on us regularly and refilling our drinks. Food was delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreAmandaDined on 4/12/2014We went purely because JT created this restaurant. The bartender in the downstairs lounge was HORRIFIC. She was so rude and couldn't handle being at the bar alone. The rest of the downstairs is cozy and nice place to wait for your reservation to get called. You definitely need a reservation here though. The food was just ok, the mashed potatoes were definitely fake and I could taste Teflon in them. The cornbread is to die for though! I would come back here just for the cornbread with honey butter. YUM! Overall, I felt super rushed. Our food was out within 10 minutes of ordering which I always find suspect and our dining experience came to a close after about 35 minutes. Won't be coming back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!!Chocolat1derDined on 4/11/2014We had a great time at southern hospitality once again!! OSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BBQMelly83Dined on 4/10/2014Southern Hospitality is fun and the food is great. The drinks are even better! This place is great for groups and the prices are pretty decent for what you're getting.Special Features:
- friendlyrickDined on 4/9/2014The most memorable experience was our waitress. She could not have been sweeter, accomodating, suggestive, friendly, and attentive. Her name does not come to mind but she was blonde and was our waitress for lunch that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/8/2014Took a group of co workers here for dinner and we all enjoyed the meal and experience.Special Features:
- Great service. But the ribsJMTRVIPDined on 4/7/2014Great service. But the ribs just don't live up to what they should be: savory and tender. I added BBQ sauce to my dry rub ribs to eat them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the experience wasMI85VIPDined on 4/6/2014Overall the experience was ok. We waited for our table about a half hour despite having a reservation, however, the staff was very communicative & nice about it. The food was not bad but nothing to write home about. Philly egg rolls were the best thing we ate. Otherwise ribs were dry & collard greens were beyond salty. That said bottomless mimosas for $15 during brunch hours is nothing to complain about. The scene was energetic & fun- good for big groups who aren't looking for anything too high quality.
- This is my third time diningohenryVIPDined on 4/3/2014This is my third time dining here and I will keep coming here to dine because the food is always good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I didn't like the fish tacos.AlisonDined on 3/30/2014I didn't like the fish tacos. My daughter didn't care for her barbeque pulled chicken. Nacho appetizer was ok. The server never came back to ask us how our food was. I had to flag her down to get a refill on my soda. The guys clearing the plates provided much better service than the waitress.
- New favorite restaurantGirlsWeekendDined on 3/29/2014As 4 girls in our early 20's, we picked the restaurant originally because of the connection to Justin Timberlake, but it quickly became our favorite restaurant. We made a reservation and were seated the second we walked in. Our waitress was personable and quick with our orders. The atmosphere is great for a dinner experience. The decor and music make it feel almost home-y. The food and drinks were delicious. The restaurant itself is small, (at least the front room is), so the tables are pretty close together. But I never looked at it as an issue. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were so siked for greatQueen1967Dined on 3/29/2014We were so siked for great BBQ on our trip to the city, I think in mind I made it perfect and disappointed myself just a little. The food was all good except for the fried chicken, it had a odd flavor to it. But all in all we enjoyed it!!!Special Features:
- GoodNYCGUYVIPDined on 3/29/2014Touristy place, but overall good food and great serviceSpecial Features:
- PerfectoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014The food and service were great. One of the best rack of ribs i 've had in a while and the price was very fair on top of thatSpecial Features:
- Great Food Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2014I'm always weary when celebs open restaurants of how the food will be. However, I have to say that the food here was really good. I had the pulled pork, mac and cheese and cornbread. The meat was good. The cornbread ws delicious! The staff was subpar. The watiress was not very attentive and I don't think checked on us more then once. We all had emptry water glasses and I had to ask for mine to be refilled. I waitress, so I know good staff when I see it, this wasn't it.Special Features:
- Great food and quiet!1foodluvrDined on 3/27/2014This was my second trip to Southern Hospitality, and I really enjoyed it! It is very quiet, everyone was friendly and the service is excellent! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great southern BBQ in the cityLuvGoodSteaksVIPDined on 3/26/2014Really good bbq, and huge portions. Be prepared to take some home if you order apps and a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGKimmyDined on 3/26/2014First time going to the restaurant and fell in love. The food was all fantastic. We ordered Chicken and Waffles, Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese, and an appetizer of BBQ chicken. Everything was seasoned well and cooked to perfection! The chicken itself was not dry and very juicy and the mac & cheese was no overwhelming with flavor. The food here is great and the service is amazing. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the visitIndyadrienneDined on 3/23/2014I was looking for a Soul food place near Times Square so I stopped here. When I arrived and realized it was Justin Timberlake's restaurant I got a little excited. However, shortly after my food arrived I was immediately disappointed. I would never eat here again and I wouldn't recommend it unless you like dry chicken and chewy macaroni and cheese.
- AmazingLmarie125Dined on 3/22/2014My fiancé and I were pleasantly surprised. The good, drinks, and service exceeded our expectations. We will definetly go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downhome Dining in the Big CityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2014We decided to try out Justin Timberlake's restaurant out of curiousity and were somewhat concerned because the reviews were mixed. We had reservations and we were promptly seated in the very cramped back room at a 4-top; I get that it's NYC and rents are high, but is it too much to ask for a little wiggle room? Our waitress introduced herself quickly and took our drink order. My sister and I both ordered the Best of Both Worlds combo and my niece ordered the pulled pork platter; the chosen sides were fries, tater tots, mac and cheese and cornbread. We were impressed with how quickly the food came out and the generous serving sizes, we even had left-overs. The ribs were quite tender and flavorful and the mac and cheese was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much food!FrankittDined on 3/22/2014I don't understand the previous reviews complaining about the prices here -- the portion sizes are enormous and prices very reasonable, in our opinion. We had brunch here on a Saturday, and a reservation was definitely needed. By the time we left, there was a long wait for a table. I've never seen restaurant staff (food runners and bussers especially) work so hard. Our waitress was spread a little too thin because of a very large group, but she kept up. I ordered the "bottomless bellini" and was pleasantly surprised at how strong they were. I've found at other restaurants that the unlimited mimosa or bellini option tends to be a much weaker version -- not the case here. Food was all delicious and plentiful. Glad we tried it!Special Features:
- southern hospitality at its bestNYCChasDined on 3/21/2014I've brought friends and family here. I celebrated my birthday here once and the most recent visit was to celebrate my significant other's birthday. Food is fantastic as are the drinks. I just wish the fritters were on the menu year round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatAwesomeScottVIPDined on 3/19/2014Food here is always consistent not the best but acceptable. Sides need some work seem like they are from KFC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimesTomTomDined on 3/16/2014The food was good. The place was very busy, but comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't know about this place!JFrenchieDined on 3/15/2014My sister and I went because she knows how much I love Justin Timberlake, but also to try something new. It's not everyday that we get some Southern cooking. My fave was definitely the Mac&Cheese. We had the buffalo shrimp which was also really good. The pulled chicken was just alright and the mash potatoes were good. We both had the 901derful and it was really tasty. All in all I found the food to be just good. I really liked the ambiance and the place is pretty big. I would go back to try other things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Diner2013Dined on 3/12/2014We went to Southern Hospitality expecting an average meal but it far exceeded our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaitressJordy31387Dined on 3/9/2014Food was great! Atmosphere awesome ! Waitress was awful, she literally came to our table twice. First to take drink and dinner order, then to bring us the bill. We didn't get refills on anything or get checked on at all thru out our meal. Thank god the food was good otherwise it would have ruined the night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good this timeMarkDined on 3/9/2014Second time there, this time the service and food was not as good. Food runners and hostess were very good. food was no the dry side.Special Features:
- pretty goodbearDined on 3/9/2014First time here, was walking distance from Javits Center. Very busy, but there were still able to accommodate us after I called to move our reservation up an hour. They ran out of biscuits which was too bad because our entrée selection had to be changed, but they paid for our drinks to apologize which was fair. The food was good, service good, location good.Special Features:
- What Was I Thinking?SlightlyCrabbyVIPDined on 3/7/2014I wanted a pre MSG meal so I chose Southern Hospitality. Big mistake. The ribs were so drenched in salt (pretty much the only flavor) that I was still feeling off a day later. If I found out they were microwaving year old ribs from some kind of government surplus beef, it wouldn't surprise me. Be warned.
- Great dinning experienceExcellentDined on 3/4/2014The restaurant is very vibrant with energy, and the food is okay, great service from the staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and vibeNycdinerDined on 3/2/2014We went on Oscar night and the atmosphere along with the food and service was great. They had the screens showing all the Oscar happenings and everyone was involved. We had a great time there and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very cool vibe..SmllDined on 3/2/2014But...the food was just OK. We went because it has Justin Timberlake's name attached to this place. A bbq place..a tad overpriced. The Fried Green Tomatoes were sort of bland. Pulled Pork sandwich had good flavor.