Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
645 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southernhospitalitybbq.com/
- Phone: 2122651000
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed:
12:00 pm - 12:00 am
Thu - Fri:
12:00 pm - 1:00 am
Sat - Sun:
11:30 am - 1:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Frank Debons
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We have three separate private dining areas, that can accommodate groups from 20-300 people. Our event planners will be happy to develop a menu and beverage package to suit you needs.
- Cross Street: 45th Street
- Public Transit: We are a few blocks away from Times Square and the Port Authority.
The following subways lines stop nearby: A, C, E, 1, 2, 3 N, R, M, S
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are numerous parking lots nearby. The closest is right around the corner on 45th street between 9th and 10 Avenues.
A word from Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY is an authentic Memphis-Style BBQ restaurant and bar. We boast some of the finest southern food found this side of the Mason Dixon Line. We feature traditional specialties including Dry Rubbed BBQ Ribs, Sweet and Sticky Baby Back Ribs, Crispy Southern Fried Chicken, Fried Pickles, and Mac & Cheese that you'll never forget. Our Southern fare is complimented by juicy corn fed Steaks, grilled jumbo Gulf Shrimp with Rosemary Grits, and lighter fare like our Watercress and Praline Salad, and Grilled Salmon with Black Eyed Peas. In addition to our fine cuisine, we offer a full line of draft beers, an extensive list of sipping tequilas, and over 50 of the Country's finest Bourbons. World renown wine expert, Gary Vaynerchuk, has hand selected an eclectic wine list that pairs beautifully with our diverse menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Hell's Kitchen ›
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (61)neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (47)great for brunch (42)fit for foodies (37)vibrant bar scene (29)hot spot (28)kid-friendly (27)late-night find (20)special occasion (17)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Doesn't try hard enoughjeffuflVIPDined on 7/20/2014I'm a NYer who has lived in the south for 20+ years. Maybe I've been around too much BBQ down south, but this place just isn't good. Brisket was dry. The 1/2 fried chicken was not a half chicken. Don't give me 4 pieces of chicken and call it 1/2 chicken. Cutting the breast in half and serving me half of it means I didn't get 1/2 chicken. And don't get me started on the fact that simple tortilla chips were stale. We asked for a new batch - the new batch was stale. If they're stale, fine. Go next door and buy a bag of Tostitos!
- Every was delicioussuzduellDined on 7/19/2014We had an early dinner prior to a show, and the food was amazing. We had a great time, and hope to get back to NYC soon to go again!Special Features:
- southern styleohenryVIPDined on 7/12/2014The mac and cheese was good and so was the chicken fingers and I was happy the manager only charged me for the chicken fingers only and took off the soda and the mac and cheese and I thank him for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Dining ExperienceCanadianDinerDined on 7/11/2014Is the food good? Absolutely. Is the service friendly? Not at all. This is without question the worst service I've ever received. We were a large group from Canada away on a conference to NYC. I guess it's customary in the United States but our waitress refused to split our bill so that we could each pay individually. Instead of explaining to us why she could not split the bill, she got very short with us, left the room frequently without telling us anything and just continued to insist we hand over our credit cards. She treated us like we were dumb. Needless to say, I do not plan on returning.Special Features:
- Solid BBQ choiceNYCGalVIPDined on 7/10/2014If you are looking for BBQ, this is a solid choice. Service is very good and you can chose between the front "happening" room, and the quieter one in the back. I was only disappointed because their menu did not include some of the choices that are still in the Open Table menu. They said they had changed menu a few weeks ago. Whoever has to do it, please update it SOON on Open Table.
- Very average BBQMarkESackettVIPDined on 7/10/2014Good try but just not great...Brisket was way too fatty, Bacon crisp and salty on the outside mushy inside, baked beans had a very unusual flavor. Cornbread and Ribs were good! I'm from Kansas City so on a scale of 1-10 10 being the best I would give this a 3. NYC is not known for it's Q but even here there is much better to be had!Special Features:
- vibrant restaurantohenryVIPDined on 7/6/2014The place was good the mac and cheese a little burnt but the chicken fingers was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceEhaussDined on 7/4/2014Very good food, lively atmosphere, good service. Ribs were great, pulled pork sandwich very good. Great location.Special Features:
- Great experience.Diner124Dined on 7/3/2014The atmosphere of Southern Hospitality was awesome. We were looking for something unique in New York City to dine at. We ordered and got our food not soon after that. It was delicious. My boyfriend and I split a combo meal and were full after. If you like barbeque, I would definitely recommend checking it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good comfortSavagedeeDined on 6/28/2014Very good food and nice mix of tourist and New Yorkers. The drinks were good also and really hit home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Convenient to TheatahMarkNYC64Dined on 6/27/2014As a Southerner I typically hang out at Cowgirl Hall of Fame in the West Village when I'm in town. However, if meeting friends pre-theater, going down yonder isn't always convenient. That's where SoHosp steps in. Great drinks (despite a minor mishap with the first mint julep I ordered; it was rectified), great food and great service...depending on who your server is. Demetri, a young gentlemen with cool glasses and a great smile was awesome; the young lady my group had the day before? Pretty terrible, as in indifferent to the fact people other than her existed. You can't go wrong with any of the ribs dishes. They are all fantastic. The French fries are really good and you'd be surprised at how often I get terrible French fries in NYC!Special Features:
- Southern Hospitality not hospitablemiss11Dined on 6/22/2014I reserved a table for 5 and received a confirmation from opentable. When my party and I arrived, the hostess could not find my name and I had to pull out my phone to prove that I had reservations. According to the hostess, the restaurant did not accept reservations made less than 24 hours in advance. She was not very friendly initially, but she warmed up to me and eventually got the manager to help find a table -after a 20 minute wait. The back of the restaurant where we were finally seated was empty save for one or two tables. Opentable should make sure to clarify when restaurants have special policies. I was with relatives from out of town that I had not seen in a decade, and this was a stressful situation.
- Bumped into this gem on the netEmikoDined on 6/22/2014This restaurant is dope! Has that home, southern feeling to it. I love the presentation of the food. The food is EXCELLENT! Mimosas are pretty awesome too. Our waitress was the best! I celebrated my moms bday here & she loved it! P.s the moonshine is wooooohooooooo gooooddd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGskdhaliDined on 6/22/2014Food was absolutely killer. Atmosphere was great and trendy. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong restaurantlandmDined on 6/21/2014I thought I was making reservations for another restaurant so I was disappointed from the start. The food was mediocre (my ribs were dry and the cole slaw was hardly seasoned). The bartender was friendly, though, and the drinks were generous.
- DisappointedAuskitty85Dined on 6/5/2014This restaurant came highly recommended to us, it's a cool set up and ambience is great. We got ribs why would you go there and get anything else, they were over cooked dry and served Luke warm..the service was great drinks good variety but I wouldn't go back!
- Down Home Comfort a FoodFood4thoughtDined on 6/1/2014I had a delicious salad with tasty grilled chicken, but everything I saw come out of the kitchen looked amazing...nachos, Mac and cheese, BBQ, fried pickles!! I would definitely go back and men will love this place because of the food and bar with sports on tv! Good hangover brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your timeFoodie4lyfeDined on 5/25/2014What a disappointment. The food was blah brisket was cold Mac and Cheese was bland which I find impossible since it had so much cheese on top. My daughter had the pulled pork which she said was good but her mashed potatoes were in her words "Disgusting" so I asked for a another side which took twice as long as the original food order. But that's not the worse part. Our server Lori was the worse she sauntered past or table more times than I can count without checking on us. Needless to say she didn't hesitant to check herself out in the mirror every time she passed it. And as I type this I have been waiting at least 20 mins for our check. So I went up to the bar to get someone to bring our check. So sad. Am I leaving a tip HELL NO.
- 10 year wedding anniversary.RowlfDined on 5/23/2014My wife and I like comfort food so I knew this would be a great place from the description. We showed up a bit early of our reservation and they had no problem seating us. When we sat down and looked at the menu we had a hard time deciding what we wanted because we wanted pretty much everything. We settled on the pulled pork sandwich and brisket combo. It was amazing! The drinks we got were sweet tea because we are from the south and we approved of them. Very good food and service. We talked and enjoyed ourself without feeling rushed for our seats as business picked up after 9pm. We would definitely go again and we will definetely recommend to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KristineVIPDined on 5/23/2014everything was average as expected. the staff was very friendly but not the most attentive. The ribs and brisket were a little dry, the collard greens and fried chicken need to be completely re done, the mac n bacon and grits were excellent.Special Features:
- The following 707 reviews are from the Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen reviews archive.
- Absolutely wonderfulHankyDined on 5/18/2014The food was amazing and our service was wonderful. She helped make the night so much fun. I highly recommend thos place and will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious bbq food in the cityItgetsaroundDined on 5/18/2014Went in for brunch and was glad I decided to come here. Reservation was a big help, kind of noisy but it was crowded. Food was amazing! Bottomless mimosas are a huge plus. Great for a sunday afternoon, will definitely be back.Special Features:
- DEELISHES!!chekmayteDined on 5/11/2014Took my wife for Mother's day and she love it. Mac n cheese, pulled pork and bbq ribs are so good. For those that say it's a little pricey, try going to these really fancy restaurants and see how much food you get. Only negative is the decor; don't quite get it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was expecting moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Booked for Mother's Day Brunch based on the promise of live bluegrass. We were seated in the back and when we arrived there were no musicians at all. They were playing on our way out but we couldn't have heard them over the contemporary indie pop playing in the back. Food was "meh" service was "meh" and overall I wouldn't bother coming here again unless I was right outside and literally couldn't make it another step without sustenance.
- second visitMissAvaDined on 5/10/2014The food was outstanding, just as it was the first time I ate there. However, the reason for my return visit was for an item on the drink menu. The Electric Lemonade was something I had talked about since my first visit. I was so upset to learn it was no longer on the menu! Also, the first time I dined, we had ordered shots of 901 and it came in a LARGE shot glass; so large we had to take sips of it instead of just taking the shot. My friend ordered this shot again, only to be disappointed that the shot came in a below-average size shot glass. Not quite sure what happened there... but otherwise, a good experience and I will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OFF DAY FOR THE KITCHENOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014Food was a let down. Service was okay. The Mac-N-Cheese was too starchy. The mash potatoes bland. The brisket solid but the ribs were on the dry side. Good atmosphere and friendly staff.Special Features:
- Awesome!CarlosRegulleDined on 5/3/2014If you want to try a real southern bbq, you must visit them! All the meats (pork, beaf and chicken) are so tender and full of flavor, that you can say: it´s a party in my mouth! Strongly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchSweets652Dined on 5/3/2014I have heard a lot of great things about Southern Hospitality so I decided to take my Fiancee there for a birthday brunch to start the day. We both enjoyed the food. The food was delicious and the mimosas were tasty. Our server Riley made sure our glasses were never empty. He asked for some substitutes for in his meal and Riley made sure it was taken care of. It wasn't too crowded and we had great seats by the big window. The live blue grass music was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Solid Place to EatNY73Dined on 5/2/2014The food was good but nothing special. The noise level was quite high so it was somewhat difficult to have a quiet conversation. The margaritas were quite good as was the service. A decent value and better than the real touristy places closer to the theater district.Special Features:
- Justin would be disappointedRedPhoenix322Dined on 4/27/2014One word description is "overrated". We made reservations and was quickly seated a Sunday afternoon. The waiter we was OK but inattentive at times. The food was nothing special. Fried chicken tacos were less equivalent to McDonald's McWraps. Who serves tacos without cheese, salsa, or avocado? The fried chicken platter was not crispy and not marinated enough to be considered southern cooking. The disco tots did not enough cheese and gravy was bland. The coleslaw was also bland. The lemonade could have caused diabetes. The good thing was the live band, the ambiance, and the appetizers. The fried green tomatoes and bacon mac and cheese rolls were really good. The nutella sundae was delish. I'd go here for appetizers, dessert, and drinks.Special Features:
- A hot spot in the City with Soul!MarinaJDined on 4/25/2014My friends and I finally found a great hot spot in the city that has soul!!!! The wait staff is friendly and very helpful. Looking forward to goin back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was just okayMaelyseDined on 4/23/2014The service was great. The staff was attentive. The food was just barely ok. My husbands fried chicken was taseless. He said KFC has more flavor. My brisket was tender, but they just drizzled a little bbq sauce on the top piece. The rest was naked. The greens were so salty I couldn't eat them. We were in the backroom so it seemed less busy and we were able to hold a conversation. We are Long Islanders. We like to try differenct restaurants when we come into the the city. If we like it, we add to our list of "Must do Again". Don't think we'll be going back.
- Easter BrunchTravelGirlDined on 4/20/2014Had Easter brunch there. Male host was extremely nice and accommodating when I said we'd be late for our reservation. Nice little restaurant. Food came out quick. Bacon was great, Dad loved his French Toast. Biscuits and gravy your typical average, like everywhere else. Mom didn't like the coffee. Our waitress was very impersonal. Definitely didn't seem to want to be there. Busboys were much more attentive. Overall I think it's an average place. I've heard they have great Mac & Cheese. Maybe I'll try the lunch or dinner menu next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing & PriceyYumYum24Dined on 4/19/2014a kids mac n cheese could fit in the palm of my hand so we got the adult portion, which is double the kids portion. Could not believe how little food for over $16! Didn't even come with ANY side! Kids did not like as is very heavy and very cheesy. Cobb salad boring - nothing special philly cheese appetizer was best of the 4 meals
- ohenryohenryVIPDined on 4/17/2014The food was good but they should have had the utensils, the sauces on the table before they sat me down. The server was very friendly to me and I am greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchjanetfromLouisianaDined on 4/13/2014Had a lovely brunch with my son and bottomless Mimosas! Bracket, our waiter, did an excellent job of checking on us regularly and refilling our drinks. Food was delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreAmandaDined on 4/12/2014We went purely because JT created this restaurant. The bartender in the downstairs lounge was HORRIFIC. She was so rude and couldn't handle being at the bar alone. The rest of the downstairs is cozy and nice place to wait for your reservation to get called. You definitely need a reservation here though. The food was just ok, the mashed potatoes were definitely fake and I could taste Teflon in them. The cornbread is to die for though! I would come back here just for the cornbread with honey butter. YUM! Overall, I felt super rushed. Our food was out within 10 minutes of ordering which I always find suspect and our dining experience came to a close after about 35 minutes. Won't be coming back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!!Chocolat1derDined on 4/11/2014We had a great time at southern hospitality once again!! OSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BBQMelly83Dined on 4/10/2014Southern Hospitality is fun and the food is great. The drinks are even better! This place is great for groups and the prices are pretty decent for what you're getting.Special Features:
- friendlyrickDined on 4/9/2014The most memorable experience was our waitress. She could not have been sweeter, accomodating, suggestive, friendly, and attentive. Her name does not come to mind but she was blonde and was our waitress for lunch that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.