The Chef & The Gardener
345 North St.
Saco, ME 04072Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Chef & The Gardener
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chefandgardener.com/
- Phone: 2072829035x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Dinner: Friday,Saturday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Glidden
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service, from back yard BBQ"s to Dream Tent Weddings.
- Special Events: wine dinners offered throughout the winter, four courses, four wines.
cooking classes also available, small hands-on, paired with wines.
A word from The Chef & The Gardener
The Chef & the Gardener is a restaurant that believes dining out should be an enjoyable & exciting experience for everyone…no matter how they choose to eat. We make all of our menu items from scratch. In so doing we can assure those with allergies or dietary restrictions that they are not consuming any problem foods. Through our restaurant and our " healthy cuisine to go" We can even work with you to develop dishes that are specific to your needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Chef & The Gardener - Best Restaurants in Saco ›
The Chef & The Gardener reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (11)romantic (6)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Terrific Lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/2/2012Found this on Trip Advisor and it is well worth stopping at!! Delicious food, great specials and we all loved our lunches. Several got the special of the day, which was a meatloaf sandwich (yum) and I got the curry chicken wrap! They did the curry right!!! Very, very good lunch and I even got a side of quinoa, which was an unexpected surprise since usually I'm struggling with chips that I don't want. If you're ever around the Chef & the Gardner, stop by, it's great "clean" healthy food.Special Features:
- We took some friends to TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2012We took some friends to The Chef and The Gardener for a Sunday brunch. As usual, the food was great. The breakfast and luncheon items on the menu are traditional but Chef David often offers a "twist" to the items to make them super good. It's a small restaurant, usually quiet, although it has recently been "discovered" by a lot of locals so reservations are suggested for key times. The wine list is quite good, in part because the periodic wine tasting groups "vote" for their favorites which David then puts on the menu.Special Features:
- ajsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2012I was pleasantly surprised with this small restaurant. The building it is in should not discourage you, it is very different inside. The food and the atmosphere is worth every penny you spent there. It was worth the trip from Portland.Special Features:
- This restaurant has been aDaveVIPDined on 6/6/2012This restaurant has been a surprise for us. The quality of the food has been great and the service outstanding.Special Features:
- The specials were great andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012The specials were great and the waitstaff were all extremely helpful. Be sure to save room for dessert too!
- The food at The Chef and GardnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012The food at The Chef and Gardner was terrific. All local and organic. Much home grown by the chef. Although a tiny restaraunt with only a few tables, we made a reservation that morning, didnt wait at all. We had fresh mussles for an appetizer, crab stuffed sole for dinner (steak for my husband) amazing mashed potatos. Not a huge menu but a little something for everyone including vegan, organic, vegetarian, and us meat eaters. Highly recommmneded!Special Features:
- Dry ToastMaineManVIPDined on 5/27/2012First of all, I had the special brunch which was a lobster omelette. It was good with plenty of lobster-maybe slightly dry but ok. My wife does not like eggs that are cooked all the way through so never orders omelettes. However, she has had good success with ordering scrambles at other places as long as she specifies that they be VERY soft. She did so here, but it came out dry. She will send things back but the server argued with her and told her she was wrong-it really was cooked soft. Since she was very hungry and had little confidence that another try would be worthwhile as they did not admit that the first try was wrong-she just ate it. Main problem was the toast- served dry so you must race to butter it before it gets too cold. Why???
- I liked the interior ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/19/2012I liked the interior ambiance of this tucked away spot, the neighborhood really needs a solid dinner option and I was disappointed that this wasn't it. Food was just okay, beer and wine only at the bar which may not suit everyone. Ambiance was lovely though the outside could stand the removal of a few promotional signs. I think this place could be great, but the preparation and presentation need a bit of work. I wish them the best.Special Features:
- We went here for lunch whenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012We went here for lunch when meeting a friend who was passing through and wanted a place near Rte 95. Since the resetaurant is only a few minutes from the Saco exit of Rte 95, we decided to give it a try. Everything about Chef and Gardener was to our liking - healthy food choices that were delicious and unique, using local foods whenever possible, decadent desserts, friendly and competent service, an atomosphere that allowed conversation. We liked it so much that we went back for dinner and it is now our "Go To" restaurant!Special Features:
- We went for mothers day. HadfoodieDined on 5/13/2012We went for mothers day. Had a very pleasant man as our waiter. He was helpful and knowledgable. I like my food highly flavored so it was a little bland for me but very nice for most. I love that they feature local ingredients. I plan to attend again for a special occasian.Special Features:
- Great vegetarian options.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2012Great vegetarian options. Attentive Wait Staff and the Chef delivered our deserts. The desert was a special chocolate crepe, hazelnet cake--just phenominal.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2012Fabulous! Just perfect. Friendly, appreciative, delicious top notch food. Great wait staff.Special Features:
- Very small, about 9 tables.CorndogdadDined on 2/3/2012Very small, about 9 tables. Service was Outstanding but we were the only ones there on a Friday night. Enjoyed our meals but could have been hotter, again concidering we were the only ones there. Cream puff pastry was stale. Wife enjoyed the cream bule. A little pricy for a place with a off location.
- When my group of friends metOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/29/2012When my group of friends met last Sunday for Brunch the first thing I noticed was the noise. There were was a family with small children and all I could hear was them. Last nite I met a friend and it was nice until a book club came in and in fact my friend wanted to record the noise, she said all you could hear was people talking and not making sence. It fact today she said the food was good put the noise was awful. They should do something about the noise and maybe turn down the lights and put candles on the tables.Special Features:
- A bitter cold, windy nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/13/2012A bitter cold, windy night couldn't keep us away from this neighborhood gem. A warm and inviting ambiance was welcoming. My friend ordered the stuffed grape leaves to start which she enjoyed very much and I had a cup of tomato crab soup - a decent homemade base but it needed a healthy addition of salt and pepper. We ordered the pork - always yummy - and the Greek chicken which I found too "briney" for my taste. We shared a tasty apple tart with a caramel garnish - and the profiterole - a treat you don't find on many dessert menus - unfortunately too much chocolate sauce overpowered the pastry. Service was attentive and welcoming.
- nice ambiance; creative useOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/6/2012nice ambiance; creative use of local produce/meat/fish; interesting wine list; prompt and friendly service - a terrific addition to Saco's minimal eateries!Special Features:
- Saco's prize! We'll go back.jsandVIPDined on 1/5/2012The four of us were warmly greeted and seated immediately. The restaurant was not full when we arrived, but filed up within minutes. My husband had the onion soup, filled with rich onion broth, onions and cheese, but not excessively cheesy. I ordered the caesar salad, fresh, crispy and with a perfect caesar dressing, not overwhelmingly dressed. My husband and one of our friends ordered one of the daily specials, a pepper steak sandwich (my husaband had the soup/1/2 sandwich special which was quite reasonable and fully satisfying I ordered the crab cakes, which were hot and nicely sauteed, but with not quite enough crab. Our other friend ordered the brie/pear panini which was rich and well-prepared, a bit too crispy for her taste.Special Features:
- Best Kept SecretOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011I brought a friend to The Chef and Gardener, his first experience there. He loved it! It is my favorite local restaurant, catering to many different dietary requirements with a gourmet cuisine. Intimate setting, wonderful, friendly an efficient service. I have never had a meal there that I have not thoroughly enjoyed. As my friend said: "This is our neighborhood's best kept secret."Special Features:
- Each experience here has beenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2011Each experience here has been nothing short of amazing. The combinations of foods are stunning. I would recommend the crab cakes with mango - delicious! All food was incredible fresh. Portion sizes were larger than anticipated, which was nice for a change!Special Features:
- Felt very much like a cafeteria.reladyDined on 12/20/2011Felt very much like a cafeteria. Not what we were expecting. Food was good but not great; just okay. Reasonably priced.
- This is such a wonderful additionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/18/2011This is such a wonderful addition to the North Street area. Deserves to be more heavily advertised. They work very hard to make it a perfect experience and pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:
- Go for Breakfast or LunchSacogalDined on 12/10/2011This is a great spot for breakfast/brunch and lunch. I wouldn't recommend it for dinner because the prices and quality of the food are not inline.Special Features:
- The Chef & The Gardner Saco MaineFirstIceQueenDined on 12/6/2011We frequently try restaurants new to us in the area. Also this was for my husband's birthday. This restaurant looked to be a good choice for our neighborhood...a bit more upscale than most neighborhood selections with fresh and local options being touted. Decor was very nice. Service person was very accommodating. But the proof in the pudding always comes down to the food quality. We both ordered chicken dishes, a Marsala and a Greek dish. Prices were reasonable, portions were adequate, food prep and quality were neither. Dry chicken, over-seasoned and salted. Presentation likewise poor. Gave another chance by ordering dessert....mistake. Worse than the entrees. Unless the food quality increases dramatically, we will not be returning.
- A Wonderful DepartureyakgalVIPDined on 11/15/2011I chose this restaurant from Open Table instead of a pub recommended by my hotel. I was so very, very glad that I did. The choice of entrees was excellent, my dinner was well prepared, nicely presented and served by an exceptionally friendly staff. I will definitely return the next time I am in the area.Special Features:
- What a wonderful place, withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2011What a wonderful place, with a great menu, and exceptional personnel.Special Features:
- A real gem, we'll be back!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/5/2011"Fell into" this restaurant while out with the family. Outstanding food. I've seen some "one star" reviews and honest-to-goodness don't understand how they think -- I've travelled all over the U.S. and this is one of the best quality/value-balanced restaurants I've found. Definitely a focus on delivering value (for example, soda is dispensed from the can -- a no-frills approach in an otherwise very nice restaurant). There's only 8 tables, so be sure to reserve your spot.Special Features:
- FreshnessJunieDined on 10/22/2011Everything - food and service was perfection. You could taste the freshness in the food. If vegetarian food always tasted this good, I'd give up meat forever!!! Wonderful - can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Maureen made the day withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2011Maureen made the day with her outgoing personality and sense of fun. The food was outstanding and all six of us were enchanted with the small portions - and also the very fair prices. Kudos to everyone who works at the Chef & Gardener! We have told our friends and WE WILL BE BACK!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Skip it....dla911VIPDined on 8/26/2011Don't believe the other reviews. The chef is not very creative and the food is bland and overcooked. Wine list is terrible. You are better off going to Mia's or Buffleheads for the same prices. Plus they never credited me with my dining points.
- Excellent food at a reasonableMarkDined on 8/24/2011Excellent food at a reasonable price. Lobster cake app and parmesan encrusted flounder specials were outstanding. Service was great though we were literally the only ones there for dinner (on a Wednesday evening).
- I took my mother to dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2011I took my mother to dinner here before I headed out of town for an extended trip. It is in our neighborhood and I wish that I had tried it sooner. We will definitely eat at The Chef & The Gardener again. I am eager to try brunch or lunch sometime. Our waitress was excellent - very pleasant, knowledgeable, and accommodating. Both of us were very satisfied with our meals including a delicious ravioli appetizer and lemon cake dessert.Special Features:
- One of the best aroundRebaportDined on 7/16/2011Our meal was great! The service was over the top. We had our 7 month old grandson with us and they were very good about having a highchair for us. There is a children's menue. We will return for sure.Special Features:
- Great food and service. TheySs73VIPDined on 7/2/2011Great food and service. They accommodate all dietary requests.Special Features:
- Nice little restaurant, withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2011Nice little restaurant, with well prepared food and attentive, welcoming service.Special Features:
- While the service was trulyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2011While the service was truly outstanding-- attentive without being overbearing-- we were underwhelmed by the food. From what I had read I expected truly fresh and unique presentations. I also hoped there would be an abundance of vegetarian dishes as it's called the Chef and the GARDENER. Unfortunately there was only one vegetarian main course-- lasagna made without noodles. The squash used for the lasagna layers was hard and not particularly tasty. The cornmeal crusted chicken was better-- tender and accompanied by fresh peas. It is easy to get to-- right off the highway which is a plus.Special Features:
- Perfect eggs benedict! AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2011Perfect eggs benedict! Amazing french toast! Our waitress Sydney was great. We highly recommend the chef and the gardener to everyone.Special Features:
- Sublime experience for all ages!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/29/2011We had been wanting to get to The Chef and the Gardener for sometime and it just had not happened. We went for brunch this past weekend and we were pleasantly surprised! The atmosphere was wonderful, service was just attentive enough, but not too much, but most of all- the food was amazing! We were a group of 7 and everyone ate every crumb off of their plate, were all satisfied with the portions and all very impressed with the quality of the food, the plating and the variety. We are so pleased to have found this gem and have plans to go back next weekend. A wonderful meal and a great value.Special Features:
- You have to try this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2011The service was great, timely, and the food was excellent. I would recommend this restaurant. The wine list was great, although they had very few beers to choose from. The food was fresh, well-prepared, and delicious.Special Features:
- Went for mothers day brunch.jfj1997Dined on 5/8/2011Went for mothers day brunch. The food, although a fixed menu, was mediocre, and at times not good at all. Total disappointment.
- The meal was very good, weOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/7/2011The meal was very good, we had brunch, very tasty food however dessert was a disappointment. My chocolate mousse could have been richer and it was topped with something that tasted like cool whip. I can only hope it was not! I was going to bring it to the server's attention however my Mom did not want me to.Special Features: