The Black Sheep Restaurant At The Kendall Hotel
350 Main Street
Cambridge, MA 02142Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Black Sheep Restaurant At The Kendall Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kendallhotel.com/dining-events
- Phone: 6175771300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Black Sheep Restaurant At The Kendall Hotel
Situated in the lobby of the historic Kendall Hotel, the Black Sheep Restaurant is dedicated to the building’s past as a Victorian firehouse and to fine dining in Cambridge, Mass. The firefighters of Engine 7 considered themselves the “black sheep” of the Cambridge Fire Department, and the Kendall honors their memory with our restaurant. The menu offers daily selections created by our chef using organic and locally grown produce. Our cozy dining room creates a welcoming atmosphere, with a menu offering both classic and innovative American home-style cooking. Our philosophy is simple: purchase the finest and freshest ingredients and let the food absorb them. We offer a full bar and specialize in a selection of locally brewed beers and selected wines from wineries around the United States.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Black Sheep Restaurant At The Kendall Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (16)great for outdoor dining (15)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (4)special occasion (3)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Very Special Valentine's Day LunchemberDined on 2/14/2014Food, service and atmosphere were excellent. Not our first, nor will it be our last meal at The Black Sheep!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findGr8FoodDined on 2/11/2014Had business meeting for 5 over lunch. They seated us in nice back room that has two group-sized tables. Place is a former Fire House with all the memorabilia fully in tact. Service was top-notch and food was delectable! Chopped Kale with fresh salmon was superb. Great find. Will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service but good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/7/2014The service was very slow, but once the food and drinks came they were very good. If you have time, this could be a good alternative to your usual restaurants.Special Features:
- Scrumptious scallops, super servicesmileyDined on 2/4/2014Had a fine experience on first visit, went back about a month later. Comfortable seating, warm surroundings. Only about 8 tables. Started with the cheese plate, nice selection accompanied by fresh grapes, crackers, and jam. I opted for scallops, large, perfectly done, expertly seasoned, wild rice on the side. Friend had the rice bowl with blackened salmon, she said it was yummy. Wine selection limited but reasonably priced. Service attentive and pleasant on both occasions. Right next to Kendall T. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is quite small, only aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/29/2014It is quite small, only about 10 tables and it is in the lobby of the hotel. The service was very good and the food was tasty. They were very accommodating with my picky child. We were all very happy at the end of the meal (even the picky eater).Special Features:
- Good for soup and salads at lunchAngeDined on 1/21/2014You can request a half salad also, and they are still enormous. Nice service, full of MIT types.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long waitBMcCDined on 1/16/2014Second time at this restaurant. First time - dinner, - looooooong wait for the food Lunch - looooooong wait for the foodI would recommend this to a friend.
- A great Kendall Square standbytownieDined on 1/16/2014I'm a regular at Black Sheep. They have great salads, will customize to your needs/wants, and make you feel at home. It's such a lovely contrast to the chain lunch places without being pompous or over the top like some of the fancier places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve DelightNoReviewVIPDined on 12/31/2013We had a fantastic meal on New Years Eve and went home full and happySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good taste of CambridgeCambridgeEaterDined on 12/21/2013I took out of town guests here because they were staying at the Kendall Hotel, and it definitely left them with a good impression of Cambridge. The service was very good, but there was only one waitress so a busier night might have been a problem. The food was delicious, particularly with their inclusion of wild rice as a side dish, and we very much enjoyed their cocktail menu.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodBailenoDined on 12/20/2013Great location in Kendall Square, quiet spot for a great night out with good food, attentive service at reasonable prices. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak is superb! ...MinXVIPDined on 11/23/2013When prepared correctly, the steaks at Black Sheep are tasty and succulent. Goat cheese-cake appetizer is also a winner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and good service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/22/2013This place is very vibrant during lunch hours. It gets busy but they have a good menu and service. During dinner time, it becomes quaint. Dinner dishes are great too and service as usual fantastic. Definitely recommend this place! It's a cute little place in the kendal sq area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so service. A bit over-priced.MarieVIPDined on 11/22/2013This is the second time I've eaten here. I liked my kale salad last time better than the spinach salad this time. But it was the service that was a turn-off. The waiter tried to take our order as soon as we sat down and when we asked for a minute (stressing, JUST a minute), we had a difficult time luring him back to take our order. In the meantime, they had run out of the soup of the day that he told us about and which we both planned to order. After the meal, we had a tough time getting our check even though it was late and the restaurant was not busy. But it's a cute restaurant in a good convenient location. Nice lunch menu if a bit overpriced. Not overly large lunch salads are $14.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night let down by the serviceboyoDined on 11/16/2013First time at the much vaunted Black Sheep got off to a shaky start when a couple of G&T's came to our party with a little gin and mainly regular water !! Starters were very nice, but then it went pear shaped when 1 entree was delayed so long that the rest of us ate to avoid stone cold food. The missing entree finally showed up as we were finishing up. The rating was rescued to 2 stars with some complimentary desserts, but it was a little too late to salvage the whole experience up to where it should have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Good service.MarieVIPDined on 10/31/2013I had the kale chop salad with Cajon salmon but requested salmon to not be cooked Cajon. They accommodated and I enjoyed my salad. The place was very busy, so having reservations made the difference, I think. I'd go back.Special Features:
- Very NiceTaraDined on 10/25/2013A nice neighborhood gem. Quaint. New England. Good food.Special Features:
- Intimate SettingSaturdaybrunchDined on 10/8/2013I liked this small neighborhood setting. I was able to really connect with my friend in a nice quiet setting but without feeling like I was drowning in a romcom. KudosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunch - Kendall SqCAandMAVIPDined on 10/1/2013Consistently excellend "home cooked" sandwiches and salads with friendly, attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet before 12:30ErinDined on 9/30/2013With a lunch menu of salads and sandwiches, you'd think there would be no surprises. Instead, the delicious house-made chips and the creative salad combinations will have me back. The restaurant was quiet before about 12:30 when the tables were a little more populated; I think people must think of the restaurant as more of a dinner location, but it's totally worth it, even with the price tag.Special Features:
- Scrumptious Filet MignonMinXVIPDined on 9/24/2013The Black Sheep offers a cute and cozy dining experience, complete with delicious food and wine, and decadent desserts. The filet mignon, cooked medium rare, was cooked to perfection and presented with tasty mashed potatoes and veggies. The cabernet went perfectly with the meal, and the dessert, the molten cake w vanilla ice cream, was the perfect finishing touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spot.ErollinsDined on 8/9/2013Primary reason I don't give a 5 star rating is that the menu is rather small. Given that I avoid wheat, there were no real choices other than a salad. 4 stars is set as "very good" and that feels right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They make you feel like a regularOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2013I don't go to the Black Sheep very often, but every time I go, they make me feel like they are happy to see me. The summer salads are fabulous and the outdoor dining is really nice. They can't help the traffic on Main St, but they do what they can to make the outdoor dining feel like an oasis. If you need a break from the more bustly places in Kendall Square, this is it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute little spot near the MarriottOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2013There is a cute outdoor patio and the inside pays homage to the Kendall's history. The menu had tried and true fare - a filet, salmon, sea bass, etc - nothing particularly unique or modern. The wine list is short, but you would find something you'd like on it. I ordered a filet mignon RARE, but it came out somewhere between medium-rare and medium. The waitress tried to convince me to keep it briefly, but I sent it back and got a filet that was cool in the center (which was what I wanted). It was under-seasoned but the meat was good. The manager/owner(?) and waitress both apologized for the overcooked steak. The mashed potatoes were really good, and I really enjoyed the cheese board. I had a nice time, and the waitress was very attentive.Special Features:
- Great FoodSilentshotDined on 7/19/2013The Black Sheep has great Soups and Sandwich's. I have not eaten their dessert but I am sure they are as good as the rest. Their specials are worth it. The place is quite small but they have places out of the way that you would not expect. I have not had a bad meal and when ever I am in town I must at least stop by for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good. The food was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2013Very good. The food was very good and the servers were attentive.
- its okaytwimcVIPDined on 7/10/2013the menu wasn't impressive but the presentation was. the overall experience was below expectation though the service was very customer focused. a place you go to have an intimate conversation without the expectation to have many choices for your meal.
- Overall we enjoy the BlackPriceChopperVIPDined on 7/9/2013Overall we enjoy the Black Sheep. Our favorite menu items are the Filet Mignon and the Penne pasta... recently we were disappointed to see the Pasta jump 40% in price. Not sure if we will still order it. To avoid sticker shock, it might help if the restaurant would update the prices here on Open Table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why no AC?FgbfgbVIPDined on 7/4/2013Temp was 90+ but they had all the doors open and no AC. Huh? Killed our appetites and made us not want to linger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal/service/ambiance!NightowlbrandyVIPDined on 6/15/2013My husband & I discovered this place via Open Table & we are quite delighted that we did as it is not far from our Somerville base. It was a delightful night to sit outside watching Kendall Sq. street life, & our dinner was excellent from start to finish. We recommend the crab cakes, salmon & sea scallops, plus the desserts of tiramisu, & custard w. berries.The wine list is certainly adequate, with helpful samplings if like before ordering, My sangria turned out to be quite large and refreshing. The only disappointment was the ordinary quality of the dipping oil for the bread choices, and that's certainly easily remedied. Its mother Kendall Hotel looks to be quite charming, & restoration of the old Firehouse into the restaurant is splendid!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in Kendall areaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2013Booked the Black Sheep for a business diner. Staff were very accommodating and were happy for us to change to an outside table. Food was great. Nice, quiet area. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait timeBMcCDined on 6/12/2013The food was great when it finally came. My reservation was for 5:30 pm, we were seated at 5:45 pm. We didn't get our food until 6:45 pm. I had to run out twice to feed the meter. They were definitely not prepared for the first guests. Much better spot for lunch than for dinner.Special Features:
- I would have said the foodfancierDined on 6/11/2013I would have said the food was excellent but for the too-salty Oysters Rockefeller which I did not order but which I tasted. My dinner was excellent as was that of the other three. Only two who shared the O.,R. had the too-salty meal. Black Sheep is terrific and I would recommend it to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our 6th visit, andOpTabVIPVIPDined on 6/6/2013This was our 6th visit, and the service lagged greatly. 4 servers, all but Beverly were off the mark. The eatery was not full. Hope it goes better again next time.
- Dinner at Black SheepGrazerVIPDined on 5/24/2013We were a party of three for dinner. We all started with home made soup. We all really enjoyed it. 2 of us had chicken vegetable and one had corn and sweet potato chowder. For entrees two of us had the chicken breast. One really liked it. One thought the sauce was too much. Another had the vegetarian pasta dish. She thought it was too cheesy. But all in all a decent meal at a decent price. Good wine and good beer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy place with attentiveandkayVIPDined on 5/24/2013Cozy place with attentive service and locally sourced food. Great hotel tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was decent but servicePolicyWonkVIPDined on 5/22/2013Food was decent but service worst ever. Very poor communication; e.g., we ordered the prix fixe menu at $35 and when we got our check, we were billed $39 each. When we asked about, we were told then and only then that the price on the printed menus was an error.
- ....historic buildingFirechief41Dined on 5/17/2013We love the history of this building. We were given a gift certificate and stayed at the historic Kendall Hotel last year and enjoyed our time there. This time we returned to the Black Sheep Restaurant with the balance of the gift certificate and to enjoy dinner. My husband ordered the Baked Cod entree and I ordered the Kendall end chicken entree - both were delicious. We paired our entrees with Cabernet Sauvignon and our waiter suggested with enjoy a piece of Boston cream pie (which we split and was just the right ending to our dining experience. We will definitely return to the Kendall Hotel and Black Sheep Restaurant in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.bostondinerVIPDined on 5/11/2013We decided last-minute we wanted to go out to eat on a Saturday night and The Black Sheep had an opening at the time we needed. When you read it's the restaurant attached to the Kendall Hotel, it's really more like a dining area. It's right off the lobby and is very small, with a limited menu. The food was mediocre, the service middling. And if you're going to bring your kids here, you should request that their meals be brought out first--for both entrees and desserts, the waiter brought the adult food out first and then went back for my kid's plate. And while patience is a wonderful thing to instill in a child, not at a restaurant when they're really hungry.
- Good Lunch PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2013It could use some more bread choices for sandwiches: it's sliced wheat or white, period. Maybe there was a wrap alternative. How about a ciabatta? The chips seemed home made and were very good, and the sandwiches themselves tasty. The only hamburger seemed to be a veggie burger. Still, I really have no complaint. It was fine for lunch, and sitting outside was pleasant despite the noise of buses on Main Street.Special Features: