The Farm and Fisherman
1120 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Farm and Fisherman
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefarmandfisherman.com/
- Phone: 2676871555
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Lawler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Personal wines welcome
A word from The Farm and Fisherman
The Farm and Fisherman is a 30-seat white tablecloth BYOB featuring regional produce, meat and fish prepared by owner and Executive Chef Joshua Lawler, a former chef de cuisine at the quintessential farm-to-table restaurant Blue Hill at Stone Barns. At The Farm and Fisherman, Chef Lawler serves what he calls "snapshots of the seasons here in the Delaware Valley," incorporating interesting and unusual ingredients produced by area farmers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Farm and Fisherman - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
The Farm and Fisherman reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (168)neighborhood gem (139)special occasion (109)romantic (80)hot spot (18)good for groups (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DinnerLinzbarsDined on 8/15/2014The first and second course were great. I recommend the pasta and pork dish...I was fabulous. The main course was not too bad. The fish was a little dry. Overall it was a great restaurant. The waiters were very friendly and the ambience was terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificChaptorDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I went for an anniversary dinner and everything was outstanding. I've recommended the restaurant to several friends already and hope to book another meal.Special Features:
- Farm to table done rightreallyruthDined on 8/12/2014Wow. This was one of the best restaurants we've been to and easily the best farm to table ever. Not surprising since one of the owners was a sous chef at Piccholine in NYC which is a big favorite of ours. The vegetables and herbs were fresh fresh fresh. The bloody beet steak was just brilliant. But there's plenty of indulgence to go along with the healthy--deserts are really strong here. Could not have been happier and we will go back again. Soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemfoodiedudieVIPDined on 8/12/2014I love Farm and Fisherman. Always a pleasure dining in this cozy room. Loved the summer salads!Special Features:
- Fabulous, innovative dinnerAEP26Dined on 8/10/2014We enjoyed a wonderful, fresh, inventive dinner this past weekend at the intimate Farm and Fisherman. Service was prompt, friendly, very knowledgable, attentive but not intrustive. The food was excellent - extremely fresh, locally sourced vegetables, fruit and fish prepared with utter care and creativity. The setting is spare and calm - just the right amount of decoration for the space and lovely stemware/silverware/plain plates to showcase the food. We will defintley return and will recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!MAKELLDined on 8/8/2014This place was absolutely awesome! I knew it was good, and had heard excellent reviews, it did not dissapoint and I had the absolute best dinner! Will most definitely be going back!Special Features:
- DickVIPDined on 8/7/2014We had the perfect dining experience - quiet ambience, friendly waiter, excellent food. The Rigatoni with spicy sausage was wonderful and the lamb was exceptional! Don't miss it.Special Features:
- A definite do overAdelcasaleDined on 8/6/2014A wonderful farm to table restaurant. The flavors were fresh and layered exquisitely. Service was attentive without being intrusive. The chef visits each table to make certain everything is perfect which is a very nice touch. The small but inviting space allows great dinner conversation with your dinner guests. I love that it is BYOB. This will definitely be a do-over for us.Special Features:
- Hiccups & service woesMGJ1Dined on 8/5/2014While Philly has made great strides in terms of culinary sophistication, and the aspirations of this charming small restaurant attest to them. Yet, aspirations and delivery aren't the same thing. It's a charming place (with awful acoustics, though, if you're unlucky enough to have a loud table close to you). And some of the food is very good- occasionally, great. But make no mistakes, this ain't no Blue Hill/Blue Farm. Forget amuse-bouche, forget seriously good bread, forget interesting spreads but mostly- forget even half-way competent service. We had to beg for the attention of servers. We had to request plates be cleared when the cheese was taken off. And the food was hit and miss- some courses downright bland.In sum: great concept but..Special Features:
- Great food,; wrong occasion.LansdinerVIPDined on 8/3/2014The overall experience was mixed- it really is a restaurant for "foodies". The food itself was as excellent- inventive and portions were larger than I expected; only one dish didn't deliver. And love that it is a BYOB. The service was also excellent- the young waitress had a great smile and laugh and almost made up for the cramped quarters and loudness. Unfortunately it was a wedding anniversary dinner and we had hoped for something a little more romantic; too crowded and noisy to deliver on that account. Too bad because the food was exceptional.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodPhillyFoodyDined on 8/2/2014As one that enjoys good a good culinary adventure that has me saying something is fantastic, Farm and Fisherman may not have an extensive menu, but everything was popping with flavors that you will not find in many places. Being a BYO makes it easy into a place that I can't wait to get back to. The service was a tad slow, so we had to take an Uber to make our show. I don't review many places, so take this as a testament that you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful and deliciousBeckyfromLouisianaDined on 8/2/2014I went with 2 friends when we were in town for a convention. We each enjoyed two courses and it was beautifully plated, lovely ambiance, non-intrusive but attentive service. oh, and it was delicious! I highly recommend the warm beet salad! Note: they serve wine here, somewhat unusual for Philly.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, but...LgleglVIPDined on 8/1/2014Cucumber gazpacho was creamy, seasoned perfectly and nicely presented. The lamb was succulent and had fabulous sides. The napeleon filled with ganache could make an angel weep. The service was weird. The waiter set a dirty fork at my place and when I handed it back to him it was as if he didn't understand what my problem was. No apology. My dining companion specifically asked the crab garnish be omitted but it wasn't. Thank goodness she didn't gave a shellfish allergy but just a preference. A second course unordered arrived instead of the correct entree and, since my friend ate it, the correct entree arrived in mini size. Come on folks, it's a small space it wouldn't be that hard to get it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MinkygVIPDined on 7/31/2014Only issue was AC was really blowing so pretty cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/31/2014Food may be the best in the city, but experience was greatly diminished by inattentive and disengaged service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- eating a gardenDominickDined on 7/31/2014From a fresh food perspective – it doesn’t get any better than eating at the Farm and Fisherman! The garden is in full swing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Herbivores & OmnivoresVeganSisterDined on 7/30/2014Vedge didn't have a reservation available until 9 PM so I tried The Farm and Fisherman and got the 6:30 PM reservation I wanted. Sorry Vedge, I just found a new restaurant where I'll be spending my money for the forseeable future! The Beet salad was exquisite and worthy of a return trip just by itself. What a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BYO in the CityPeteVIPDined on 7/27/2014I have been to the Farm and the Fisherman a number of times and each time am amazed and utterly satisfied. I love Philadelphia's byos and this one is the best. From the cucumber soup (full bodied and flavorful) to the spaghetti (an utterly refined dish with a wonderful kick) to the salmon, the preparations are artful and just delicious. Don't miss the beefsteak beets and the sunny side up farm egg (simply fun). We really enjoyed ourselves at this special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- returning diner...BasilDined on 7/27/2014Reserving early on a Sunday gets diners the best ambiance. By 7:30 the noise was such we skipped dessert. Service was extraordinarily prompt, efficient and warmly personable. Starters challenged the palate with surprising combo of ingredients. The main courses, however, belonged to a colder season. The excellent seared tuna was seasoned more for beer or tequila than wine. Pork was tender. Both entrees suffered from an accompanying grain heavily seasoned.Special Features:
- OutstandingRichVIPDined on 7/26/2014This place just keeps getting better. The service is great. The food is divine. We started with the cucumber gazpacho and beet steak. Both were just incredible dishes. We savored every bite. Then we had the shrimp spaghetti and lamb loin. Again, both were excellent dishes. Flavors, presentation, texture... they really nail it all here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely flavors and ambienceDCarl1Dined on 7/25/2014This is a fantastic restaurant with fresh, original flavors on its small menu. It is a BYOB so you do have to bring your own wine as needed, but that's no problem.Special Features:
- Solid dinner choicePhillyfamilyDined on 7/25/2014We came in here with high expectations and were not disappointed. The food was fresh, interesting, and excellent. The staff is great at timing the food so that even though I ordered only a first and second course and my husband ordered three courses the pacing worked out well. I am not usually big on desserts but the ricotta doughnuts with dark chocolate and raspberry dipping sauces were incredible (and worth every calorie). We were also impressed by the owner coming out at the end of our meal and asking us if everything was satisfactory. We will certainly be coming back!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/24/2014We've been wanting to try Farm and Fisherman for a long time, and boy are we glad we finally did! It was outstanding. Highly recommend the beet steak app, but really everything was delicious. This has moved up to one of our top two or three restaurants in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VEry Enjoyable dinnerloves2exploreDined on 7/24/2014This was our first visit to The Farm & Fisherman. At our server's suggestion, we had their famous beet salad as our starter. It did not disappoint. I had the hen as my main entree and my husband had the red snapper. Both dishes were very tasty, albeit small in portion size. One thing that I'd like the restaurant to change, is to arrange for the wine the guests bring ( since this is a BYOB) to remain on your table as you are dining. Our server kept our white wine chilled in another place, and he re-filled our glasses when he noticed it was time. I think the wine should remain at the table, so guests do not have to wait for a refill from their server. This small inconvenience would not deter me from highly recommending The Farm & Fisherman.Special Features:
- First time and I will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/22/2014I had dinner with my niece here and was very impressed with the food. It was great. My beet sale was a revelation, unexpected and delicious. Had some fish for the entree which was excellent. Will go back again soon.ThanksSpecial Features:
- Best meal I've had in awhileJustineDined on 7/18/2014Everything we had was delicious. Flavors were fresh & vibrant. Will definitely be back in fall and winter to try the other seasonal menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent special treatgrazie2VIPDined on 7/18/2014This BYOB special restaurant seats 30 very fortunate diners at a time with first rate service, outstandingly prepared locally grown special dinners prepared by someone who truly knows how to plan menus and cook them to perfection. We hope to return to Philadelphia from our home in Baltimore many times sothat we can dine here.Special Features:
- Best Meal EverVitaminDDined on 7/18/2014No exaggeration. I thought it was the best meal I've ever had and my wife agreed. We will go back and we have been recommending it to anyone who will listen.Special Features:
- crazy goodMikeVIPDined on 7/17/2014After dining here about 4 times I still get blown away by the food, like the first time. The bloody beet steak is a must for ordering. It's SO good. I loved everything we all shared at my table. Service was impeccable too. Great food memories every visit.Special Features:
- The Farm and FishermanBobG430Dined on 7/17/2014We were there with friends on a week night and everyone had a wonderful time. The owner/hostess came out and we had a delightful conversation. The food was delicious and presented beautifully. All the food is fresh from the farm. There is a varied menu with something for everyone. The beet salad is definitely a highlight, as are the doughnuts for dessert. Reservations are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly good!FoodieDined on 7/15/2014The food was outstanding! The staff was attentive and very knowledgable about the menu.Special Features:
- continues to be greatcn71VIPDined on 7/13/2014Excellent food prepared with great imagination. Beet steak superb. Spaghetti unusual; lobster broth sauce rich and tasty. Chef's skill with fresh,local ingredients is amazing.Special Features:
- Very nice placeRayRVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was a very nice place for a quiet dinner. The service was very good and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014One of the best meals I've had in Philly...True gourmet restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!DanRVIPDined on 7/5/2014We go every time we visit Philly, and it never disappoints. The food is excellent, great seasonal ingredients, creatively and expertly prepared. This is our favorite restaurant right now, and we have been to many great places. It is BYOB, so don't forget to pick up some wine suitable to the occasion.Special Features:
- Delicious DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014I've been here plenty of times and of course, as always, this time did not disappoint. The food is always amazing, the service is outstanding. The bloody beet steak is my favorite and each time I come here I HAVE TO order it. It literally melts in your mouth. So good!Special Features:
- Fantastic Farm-to-Table RestaurantAMHessDined on 6/28/2014F&F is a small eatery with a seasonal menu; they get much of their produce from small farms within Philadelphia. The quality of the food is top-notch; everything is fresh and bursting with flavor and most of the menu items are quite creative. The staff are very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions and discuss the menu at length, which we appreciated. Portions and prices are moderate; I had three courses for about $40 and was comfortably full. The only odd bit was that as soon as we finished our food, they asked us to go outside to finish our wine because there were people waiting for our table (there were several empty tables). Aside from that, the experience was terrific, but it ended on a strange note.Special Features:
- Different and interestingM4REELDined on 6/27/2014Probably the most innovative, interesting meal we've had in recent years in Philadelphia. Great care to each dish of each course, handsomely presented, with refined service. A small gem.Special Features:
- Great ambience, service & foodBarbZDined on 6/24/2014The four of us all enjoyed our food. The bloody beet steak is outstanding! The service was professional, knowledgeable and very friendly. Being a BYOB restaurant is a great plus. We would definitely go back to The Farm and Fisherman.Special Features:
- BirthdayDined on 6/22/2014Having reviewed the 6/12 menu online, my husband was looking forward to a beef dinner - as usual. To his surprise, the 6/22 menu offered lamb, duck, tilefish, and fluke, none of which he ever eats. He went with the duck and would order it again. "It was delicious." Our appetizers of warm soup of greens and my smoked sturgeon were wonderful blends of complementary flavors. Everything was a success. Our personable server was helpful giving specific descriptions of dishes. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.