Hill Country Barbecue Market
410 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Hill Country Barbecue Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hillcountrywdc.com/
- Phone: 2025562050
- Hours of Operation:
Our kitchen is open 11:30am - 11:00pm daily. We serve a late night menu from 11pm - 1am Wednesday through Saturday. Our bar is open until 1am Sunday - Wednesday and 2am Thursday - Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout
- Entertainment: Hill Country offers free live music in our Boot Bar Tuesday through Saturday. Join us for our LIVE BAND karaoke every Wednesday starting at 8:30pm and feel like a rock star!
- Special Events: We would be proud to host your special event. Please contact our Catering and Events Manager, Sylva Lin.
A word from Hill Country Barbecue Market
Hill Country is proud to have opened in DC! Named "Best Barbecue in NY" by both New York Magazine and Time Out New York, "Top 10 Barbecue in the U.S." by the Wall Street Journal and "Best New Restaurants of the Year" by New York Magazine, Hill Country takes its "cue" from legendary Texas barbecue joint Kreuz Market and its distinctive dry-rub style. Hill Country's brisket, sausage, ribs and other meats are smoked low and slow over Texas post oak. The barbecue is served in butcher paper, counter-style by the pound, with traditional trimmings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hill Country Barbecue Market reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (74)great for lunch (36)kid-friendly (30)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (27)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (23)special occasion (13)late-night find (6)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)romantic (1)Show More
- A truly American experienceeatouterVIPDined on 5/11/2014We came to dinner with a visitor from Germany. She was delighted to have a truly American experience. Ribs, slaw, greens, the works!!! We've been to Hill Country several times (we're big Texas B-B-Q fans).Special Features:
- Texas brisketJohnDined on 5/10/2014Similar to authentic Texas barbecue places I've been to. They really play up the Texas theme with the decor and ordering method. But, you can really customize your meal and the brisket was tasty. I only saw one type of barbecue sauce, it would be nice if they had several choices.Special Features:
- Love the FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/8/2014The Food Was amazing and the atmosphere was also outstanding!! We had gone there for their concert series in the downstairs area and were blown away again about the amount of food you receive and the great taste!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good--ButHankDined on 5/7/2014I do not understand all the praise for Hill Country. I had the pork ribs, sausage and brisket. They were good, but I've had better at a lot cheaper price.Special Features:
- Disappointed by dry meatck2020Dined on 5/5/2014Went there for All-You-Can-Eat Mondays. All the meat except for the pork ribs were dry. Was disappointed. I have been there before and thought it had better meat than what I tasted that night. Must have been an off day.Special Features:
- Good food and funDCdinerVIPDined on 4/26/2014The barbecue options are tasty and you get plenty to eat. It's a fun place to go but noisy, so hard to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Loud Cattle MarketJackVIPDined on 4/25/2014With the vaulted ceilings, attached bar, and music blaring through the speakers, it was hard to hear the person sitting across from you at the table. The way the restaurant is set up, with going to the lunch counter to order felt like we were cattle being herded into a pen. The food was decent, but I don't plan to go back. There are too many other great restaurants in the area.
- Excellenta BBQ and conceptpmrthirdVIPDined on 4/21/2014The concept of going up and ordering your meats by weight and then they are brought to you truly caters to your likes. I was surprised to find out that Monday was All You Can Eat Night for $25 which included pork ribs, brisket and chicken and all the sides; exactly what I was in the mood for. Well, I was encouraged to order sides but instead went with 4 small sides based on the waiter's recommendation. He pushed for 5 but I insisted 3 was enough and I was going for with 5 (collard greens, chili, chipotle deviled eggs, and smash bourbon sweet potatoes). All were fantastic. I could barely finish what was in front of me so despite being asked several times what else can I get you, I was more than satisfied with the meal and portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/21/2014I've been to Hill Country a number of times, and this was my first negative experience. The brisket was dry, and the chicken was slightly over-cooked. I was there for an early (5:30) dinner last Monday, and it was as if the meat had been prepared for lunch and was left in the oven or under a heat lamp for a few extra hours. This is the first time that I've been dissatisfied with the food here, and any restaurant can have an off-night, so I will be back. But if this experience is repeated, I will have to re-evaluate my continued patronage of this place, especially since, for a barbecue joint, it is pretty expensive.
- Good BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2014It was a unique setting but had great food. They were able to accommodate a larger group but it is best for smaller groups (4 people or so).Special Features:
- Hill Country BBQ brings theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014Hill Country BBQ brings the flavors of Kansas City to Washington DC. The BBQ was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/7/2014The food at Hill Country was really good! I'll be back for more!I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ in DCFirsttimerDined on 4/6/2014This was our first time at this restaurant and we loved it. The staff was wonderful and patient. The ribs were cold and tough to eat. I like my ribs to fall off the bone and the rub was to peppery for me. They had barbeque sauce on the tables but it wasn't to my taste and some of the sides weren't good at all.( i.e. sweet potato mash and baked beans) But all in all, I’m looking forward to stopping by again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BBQ in DCFortinbraDined on 4/5/2014My family is from the Midwest, and we're keen on our BBQ. This place simply smelled delicious as my family and I were leaving the garage underneath the restaurant, unknowing that it was even there. We simply followed our noses, and found the best BBQ we've had in years.Special Features:
- best bbq fm tx to nation's capital!franDined on 4/5/2014amazing bbq, ice cream, peanut butter and jelly cupcakes and birch beer!! highly recommended for those from the south and need a really good southern bbq meal!!Special Features:
- I'm back homeamazingVIPDined on 3/25/2014I walk in and from food to ambiance to service its like being back in San Antonio. Thank you!!!Special Features:
- Good food but complicated processValentineDined on 3/25/2014My wife and I visited for lunch on a weekday. We both chose the lunch special. She had a 1/4 chicken with mac 'n cheese. I had the lean brisket with the corn pudding. We also received cornbread muffins with our order. Overall, we both enjoyed the food a lot. Meats needed little to no extra sauce at all. The sides were both well done too, and the cornbread was nice and moist. We were happy we visited on a snowy/rainy weekday because the place wasn't too busy shortly after opening. Our server explained the complicated process of using our "meal ticket" card to take to the meat station, where the server placed a sticker on each of our cards, and then we went to the sides station where another employee checked off boxes. Strange.Special Features:
- worth itAnnieDined on 3/22/2014Being from the south, I love a good bbq place. The sides were AWESOME. The bbq was "okay" -- kind of dry, not lots of flavor. I guess this might be authentic "hill country" about which I am unfamiliar. That said, I will go back in a heartbeat for the side. Corn pudding, collard greens, coleslaw, mashed potatoes were to die for. Service was also great. It's noisy, but expected.Special Features:
- Fun place with great food and drinkjusteatitVIPDined on 3/15/2014Fabulous BBQ, great live music, fun atmosphere, great service. Was a bit hard to have a conversation because of the noise level, but that's not why you go here! And remember: order beer here, not wine. It's BBQ after all.Special Features:
- entertainment venueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014my reason for dining here was to enhance my chance of having a good seat for the night's entertaiment, Blackie and the Rodeo Kings [aka BARK]; the food was tasty, not wonderful; the price was reasonable given the prime real estate that HCB occupies; as it turns out, the house for BARK was not much over two dozen: unfortunately there were many good seats [all at tables] unfilled; I'm not a great fan of barbecue, but found little to fault; most important: I enjoyedI would recommend this to a friend.
- Shallow representationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014The management and staff seem immune to understanding the simple standard they are trying to replicate. The meat is barely smoked. They ran out of two key entrees at the beginning of the dinner period on a Saturday. It is a decent place to remind yourself that it has been too long since you've been back in Austin. The guy behind the meat counter emphasized the slices of bread are "complimentary." I actually like that they serve some fresh green stuff, as I've grown soft, but no one in THE Hill Country charges extra for onions and pickle. Go learn about your business.
- Fantastic BBQ!DCFoodieVIPDined on 3/8/2014If you want really excellent BBQ, visit here. The menu and concept is easy to follow, and their lunch specials are a great deal! Very family friendly, good for groups (call ahead), but not recommended for a first-date (it's a bit messy!).Special Features:
- Concert mixupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014While the food was once again delicious, it was frustrating to find out when I got there that Hill Country's website had the wrong information for the show on 3/1. The website indicated the show started at 10:30, when in fact the show actually started at 10pm. I made my group's reservation based on the show's start time, so we had to rush through our meal so we could finish before the earlier start time. Also, the two women at the front door seating people could not have been less interested in their jobs. A smile goes a long way sometimes and these ladies didn't even have that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not the Washington templatelarrybellDined on 3/1/2014It was fun, informal and serious food for the BarbesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good, but atmamjoDined on 3/1/2014The food was good, but at 6:15 on a Saturday night they were already out of several meats. I find this completely unacceptable, especially for all the hype surrounding this restaurant. I also did not like that we were placed at a table in the basement and had to carry our food down the steps. We made a reservation two months ahead of time so this was a very disappointing experience. Again the food was good, but nothing great or exciting about the food or dining experience.
- Good BBQ option near Verizon CenterKochersDined on 2/24/2014This restaurant is extremely convenient to the Verizon Center. Make a reservation. It's crowded before weeknight shows. I tried the pork loin and shared bites of a friends beef brisket, both meats were very tasty! Cornbread muffins were yummy and moist. Ordering here is a little confusing. You get a card that you carry back to the "market". Everything is ala carte and the items you order are marked on the card. Difficult to keep track of your total expenses and it can get high. It does make it very easy to have separate checks with a large party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second time,RobinsonsDined on 2/17/2014and we still love it. We came the first time with a Groupon discount and loved the food. I wanted to come back and since the weather for Valentine's Day was awful we decided to come on all you can eat Monday. The food was absolutely delicious. My fiancé and I love eating at Hill Barbecue and I'm sure you'll love it as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 step for 4!Monkey2goDined on 2/14/2014This place is great for groups and sharing family style. We ordered the 2 step for the table and added a large side, cornbread and 2 desserts which left 4 of us stuffed. Out of the sampling of BBQ the moist brisket was the favorite of the table. It is certainly worth the $4 upcharge for the two step combo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BBQCTDCDined on 2/14/2014We have lots of family and friends in Texas and make several trips a year eating tons of barbecue. Hill Country brings in Kreuz sausages which are amazing and hail from the sausage capital of Lockhart, TX. Their brisket and pork ribs are perfectly smoked and juicy. I was very impressed to find out that this is a chain restaurant in DC & NY. The sides are all fresh and made from scratch which shows. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- OutstandingMarkDined on 2/8/2014Great BBQ in the city is hard to find. I had two friends with me who are from Texas and they both were very impressed. I already have plans to go back in a few weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BBQ in DCbriaaDined on 2/7/2014An energetic and fun place to get great BBQ. The space is large and the lower level area with live music is also a great experience. Highly recommend it for a fun night with fabulous BBQ, sides and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is what it isAirfowlerDined on 1/30/2014Read many mixed reviews about this place. The positive are from those who appreciate a barbecue market atmosphere. Put me in that category. Loved that I was able to sample all the meats before choosing and then selecting varying amounts based on appetite. The sides were excellent, the sweet tea was sweet, and the pecan pie was better than I can make. This is not a fancy restaurant, it's a meat market so expect to see slabs of brisket, ribs, or chicken being devoured by those who enjoy good food. Our waitress was very attentive and friendly. My recommendation - the moist brisket as your main meat, with a rib on the side!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat Always WinsCraigVIPDined on 1/27/2014Went (again) for the all-you-can eat Monday special. Filled up on meat and sides. Always delicious - and in the words of our waitress "meat always wins." Yes it does.
- Fun placeJuderflyDined on 1/26/2014The barbecue was excellent - I really liked the turkey. The sides were good too - cole slaw, corn bread & Mac & cheese - all excellent! My partner got the beef rib which had an excellent flavor. The brisket was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic barbecue!TopFun66VIPDined on 1/25/2014The manner in which you order is interesting and part of the experience. The food was incredibly good! We will be back!Special Features:
- Great Casual Option in Penn QuarterOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 1/24/2014Very family friendly. Good value for kids meal. Although they did not offer apple juice, they did offer every other juice. Set up is conducive to dining at your own pace. Dessert display was fantastic. Service was very attentive. Kids had a great time. Perfect dinner before an event at the Verizon Center.Special Features:
- down to earth & excellentJeffHDined on 1/23/2014You can get your food pretty quickly -- good for lunch -- and the space is very cool. The food itself? Really, really strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy, yummy, yummyfoodlover218Dined on 1/13/2014The best barbecue place around. We go for the all you can eat mondays to get the variety. Since we don't eat pork, it can be hard to find good barbecue places with great sides, but Hills offers plenty of pork-free sides and I love the BBQ chicken and the brisket. Despite being really busy, the service has always been excellent and the food is a delicious indulgence...Special Features:
- I can't get enough!Shavonn98Dined on 1/11/2014Generous portions, great set-up and above all GREAT food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BBQ, Strange Set UptawlDined on 1/3/2014Food was delicious, but I wish the way of getting the bbq wasn't so convoluted. I was very confusing having to get everything in portions related to a pound. I just wanted a brisket sandwich, but I had to figure out how much brisket I wanted, and they gave me two slices of white bread. I guess I kind of figured there would be a little better service instead of this cafeteria style deal.I would recommend this to a friend.