Hi-Life Bar & Grill
477 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hi-Life Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hi-life.com/
- Phone: 2127877199
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:30am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 4:30pm - 2:00am, Saturday: 4:00pm -2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers
- Executive Chef: Paco Pinzon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: One of NYC's more popular and long standing neighborhood restaurants offers their favorites as buffet or a la carte to business and home locations.
- Entertainment: Hi-Life presents "iPOD Lounge" - interactive music nights (Thurs, Fri & Sat from 10-late) that allow patrons to make song requests and/or submit a short iPOD playlist to our DJ.
A word from Hi-Life Bar & Grill
Hi-Life Bar & Grill is one of the Upper Westside’s most popular and longstanding neighborhood restaurants (est. 1991). Hi-Life's 1930's decor is the backdrop for bar & grill classics like flame-grilled steaks and hamburgers, broiled and seared fresh fish specials, bountiful "Big Bowls" of pasta and entree salads, and last but not least a Sushi/Raw bar. (Hi-Life was the first NYC restaurant to install a traditional sushi bar in a non-Japanese restaurant setting in 1993. Expertly prepared sushi & sashimi at Hi-Life is a natural extension of the classic Raw Bar one might expect in our 1930's environment.) Hi-Life also serves a "traditional Westside" brunch that features fresh squeezed juices, complimentary blueberry muffins & cinnamon toast as well as a 2.95 brunch cocktail deal. In the warmer months Hi-Life outdoor seating includes 28 seats along Amsterdam Ave and another 18 seats on our 83rd St side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Hi-Life Bar & Grill - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Hi-Life Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)late-night find (11)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)fit for foodies (8)great for outdoor dining (8)good for groups (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (5)special occasion (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- My go-to neighborhood place.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/28/2012My go-to neighborhood place. Everything on the menu is good!Special Features:
- Huge disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012I've always had a great experience at Hi-Life. The food is great and the staff is friendly. That is why I made reservations for 5 when a group of out-of-towners visited the city. We had reservations for the group at 8pm and when we arrived at that time, a table was not ready. We waited for 20 minutes and the hostess pointed to a table that would be ours once the current diners finished. It was a small four person booth. We left disappointed that we had wasted our time and I felt foolish in front of our visitors. I'm weary to return with a group over four, if I return at all.
- OK but not greatWesnileDined on 12/15/2012Hi-Life was good for what it is, a neighborhood "bar" food restaurant. They have everything from nacho's to pasta on the menu. Burgers were good and the apps were OK. Nothing to really rave about.Special Features:
- A great local place reasonablyshopsterDined on 11/24/2012A great local place reasonably priced for NYC with specials on drinks for happy hour. Wide variety on menu. Fast friendly service. I loved it.Special Features:
- My hubby and I came here forOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/21/2012My hubby and I came here for brunch. Delicous huevos rancheros! Loved the $2.95 mimosa. We want to return for dinner sometime.Special Features:
- Low-Life RestaurantDouglasUWSVIPDined on 10/20/2012The tuna in the salad nicoise was over-cooked and inedible. It was not a pleasant dining experience and I will not return--there are so many better options on that stretch of Amsterdam.
- Brunch is very busy so youOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2012Brunch is very busy so you definitely want a reservation. The host and the waiter were both attentive and respectful and the food was really good. They have crayons and a kid's meal as well.Special Features:
- Reliably and even surprisinglydeegieDined on 7/10/2012Reliably and even surprisingly good food for a friendly neighborhood hangout.
- I always have a great experieceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2012I always have a great experiece at Hi-Life. I love the sweet girly drinks, the diversified menu and the specials (i.e.: 50% sushi).Special Features:
- We have been coming to Hi-LifeHarperDined on 6/8/2012We have been coming to Hi-Life for years, but this was by far our worst experience there. We were a party of 5, celebrating my niece's 18th birthday (and notified the restaurant of that fact in advance). Four of the meals (3 of which were Hi-Life's standard Friday night printed-menu special) arrived after about 25 minutes. However, the fifth item (a thin-crust standard pizza) didn't arrive until we had checked on its status twice more - at least 20 minutes after everyone else was served. And when it got there, half of it was burnt. There were no apologies, etc, offered. This was NOT the way to spend a celebratory evening with out-of-town family!
- Not a bad place for a quickOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/19/2012Not a bad place for a quick bite on a last minute. Lots of outdoor seating and great daily specials.Special Features:
- We had a big group for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/13/2012We had a big group for brunch and they served us well.Special Features:
- The waiter was fairly attentive.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012The waiter was fairly attentive. The food was good, not great. The only complaint I have was that the tables were too close together making it difficult to get away from our table.Special Features:
- In town for the 1/2 marathon,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2012In town for the 1/2 marathon, my two daughters ran it, needed a cozy place for brunch after the race and you provided it. Great place, food and a table for 8! Thanks.
- A very comfortable neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/3/2012A very comfortable neighborhood restaurant with an ecclectic menu. Food is excellent and well prepared.Special Features:
- After our dinner at Hi-Life,LGParsonDined on 3/30/2012After our dinner at Hi-Life, my husband declared that it is his new favorite place. One small quibble which I will offer is that we had to work harder than we should have to extracate our oysters from their half-shell beds. But, they were good oysters, and our drinks and entrees were also very good.Special Features:
- Nice bar scene for sushi fans.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/31/2012Nice bar scene for sushi fans. Half-Priced sushi Mon and Tues is great for a quick bite.Special Features:
- Brunch which is always deliciousL8DinerVIPDined on 1/29/2012Brunch which is always delicious and a good value.
- Overall a very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/23/2011Overall a very good experience and worth a visit. The menu has everything from sushi to steak so something for everyone. Service was excellent and be sure to check out their daily specials.Special Features:
- Way too loud; good food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/10/2011The music here was WAY too loud - there's no dance floor, so there was no need to have the music pumping so loud that it was impossible to hear the person across the table from you. The music mix and selection were fabulous, though. Great dj. Good food and service late at night. Just don't go if you actually want to talk to the people you're dining with.Special Features:
- Our go-to place. EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/28/2011Our go-to place. Everything from salads and burgers to salmon, skirt steak and sushi. Covers all the bases!Special Features:
- Great spot, great food. veryAgentVIPDined on 10/8/2011Great spot, great food. very nice casual atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2011We happened upon this restaurant during a late night walk and had a wonderful time. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu, and was honest in his opinions about the food in relation to our preferences and he ended up suggesting the perfect entrees for us. We were seated at a private outdoor table (as private as a NYC city street can get) and felt well taken care of and at home. This isn't five star dining, but it's a five star neighborhood gem experience. We live over 1,000 miles from this restaurant but we felt immediately at home the second we walked in the door. (food is great, too!)Special Features:
- Rulebreaking SuccessSprowtVIPDined on 8/12/2011What is there to say about Hi Life? It violates my primary rule of restaurants: the more cuisines you serve, the worse the quality of any of them. Generally, if I see Italian, burgers and sushi on the same menu, I'm walking away. But Hi Life continues to confound, so I, in turn, must celebrate their success.Special Features:
- Great burgers, sushi, andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2011Great burgers, sushi, and umbrella drinks! This is a hip neighborhood bar that is great for after work or brunch. They always have specials and lots of different menu items to choose from.Special Features:
- Warm and friendly wait staff,L8DinerVIPDined on 6/26/2011Warm and friendly wait staff, perfectly poached eggs, and an outdoor table with perfect weather made for a perfect brunch.
- Better without steakEricEatsEverythingVIPDined on 6/18/2011My first visit to Hi-Life was great! I ordered the Bamboo-steamed Sea Bass and it was out of this world! I should have ordered that again. This time around I got the Steak Au Poivre and it was fatty and over-seasoned. Friends ordered the steak with chimichurri sauce, not great either. If you're going here I'd recommend getting Fish, Sushi (surprise!), or the Pasta special. Those seem to be the winners!
- The food is good but theymissionmomVIPDined on 5/8/2011The food is good but they can't get their service together.
- Don't be late, because theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/7/2011Don't be late, because the hostess will make you wait even when your table is ready for you.
- Sushi is good and the saladsveggiechicagoVIPDined on 4/23/2011Sushi is good and the salads were very fresh. A little pricey for comfort food but the seafood was fresh. A little divey - but still the food and service was good.Special Features:
- Sushi special was misrepresentedMPDWDined on 4/12/2011Sushi special was misrepresented by waitress, then reneged by manager. Half off deal not honored made for a terrible experience. Buyer beware.
- Good food on the West as wellfoodiefindsVIPDined on 2/20/2011Good food on the West as well as the East side...Always an easy place to order from with the choices on their menu....!Special Features:
- Our waitress was very friendlyManhattanPatriciaVIPDined on 2/14/2011Our waitress was very friendly and helpful; the value at Hi-Life is excellent.Special Features: