Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant
7871 River Rd
Forestville, CA 95436Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.farmhouseinn.com/restaurant-0/
- Phone: 7078873300x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Dinner: Thursday - Monday: open 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Steve Litke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant
Nestled in the heart of the Russian River Valley wine region, the "country-chic" Farmhouse is a Michelin One Star (*) restaurant, a top Zagat reviewed restaurant for the entire San Francisco Bay Area and has been a San Francisco Chronicle's Top 100 Restaurant four years running. Chef Steve Litke offers "sublime" seasonal California-French cuisine showcasing local, artisan ingredients. Maitre d', Christopher Fohner ensures Farmhouse's signature "pampering", "knowledgeable" service, as well as overseeing the ever-changing array of local and international artisan cheeses, served tableside. Wine Director, Geoff Kruth has assembled a "top-notch" wine list, of world-class wines, emphasizing the finest gems of Sonoma County. The Farmhouse also offers luxury accommodations for those who feel inclined to extend the experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Forestville ›
Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (72)special occasion (65)romantic (63)notable wine list (54)neighborhood gem (9)scenic view (3)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Art as FoodFoodandWine26Dined on 6/9/2014We brought our own bottle of wine, but I suspect, given its location, that the Farmhouse has an extraordinary wine list. The service was impeccable. The ambiance was subdued, lovely and charming. The food was in modest proportion and included clever, unexpected pairings of flavors. I was particularly pleased with the variety of dairy-free and/or gluten free options which were absolutely delicious. Presentation was superb.Special Features:
- MotikVIPDined on 6/7/2014Exceptional appetizers and deserts, solid main coursesSpecial Features:
- Beautiful restaurant in lovely spotFooooDDined on 6/5/2014Took my husband here for his 40th birthday. Upon arrival they had a menu with "Happy Birthday" printed on it. Nice touch! We both had the 3 course dinner. He had the ahi tuna starter, I had the scallop crudo. Both were ok, needed a little acid in both in my opinion. Second course husband had the steak- it was perfect. I had the rabbit 3 ways. Was good but I thought the loin part was tough, still tasted good though. The tiny rabbit racks were amazing. Last course he had chocolate/cherry dessert which he enjoyed. I had the apricot soufflé- we both thought the soufflé was better. The service was impeccable and the wine suggested by sommelier for me was a nice match. No cab's by the glass for husbands steak.. He ended up having Syrah instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyMarilynDined on 6/2/2014The food was excellent, well presented, and expertly served. This was a perfect celebration of our 52 years of marriage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!BHaleDined on 6/1/2014My wife and I stayed at the Farmhouse, while touring the Russian River Valley, and fortunately, got to eat dinner there twice. The food was wonderful. Our waiters, Jen on Saturday night, and Charles on Sunday night, were phenomenal. Each enhanced the dining experience with their extensive knowledge and enjoyment of serving great food. We had the wine pairings, too, and each of the sommeliers' recommendations were spot on. We also thoroughly enjoyed their gourmet breakfasts. Again, the staff were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 769 reviews are from the Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant reviews archive.
- Excellent Food but Missing SomethinMarinEaterDined on 5/31/2014This is a hard review to write. The food was generally very good (though I have to be honest and say the cherry fiz part of the cherry dessert was very odd and should probably be taken out.) I think in general the courses felt small and it was served a bit too quickly. With Prix Fixed menus, it's important that the meal last awhile and yet, because the prix fixe option was one appetizer, one entree, and a dessert and it was small and came out quickly, the place did not lend itself to a relaxing, lingering meal. We were out in about an hour. This is a hard review to write because I don't know how they can improve except to perhaps offer more courses (even if the price has to go up) so the meal actually feels worth the experience.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/29/2014The service, delectable food, and ambiance all add up deserving a 5 star rating. Very personable servers! Michael Caine look -alike, not only knowledgeable ...but entertaining! A must for anyone visiting Sonoma County!Special Features:
- Great ImprovementGrandmaJaneDined on 5/24/2014We were regulars at Farm House until about two years ago when we had two unfortunate experiences with overcooked food and rude service. We decided to give it another try and were pleasantly surprised. The food was great and the service excellent. As always, the wine list is spectacular. We'll be dining there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceMarkieVIPDined on 5/23/2014Our second time at the Farmhouse and we were not disappointed. Fabulous cuisine and great service. The 'Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit', rabbit prepared three ways was terrific and is highly recommended. We went for the four courses with wine pairing and it was a wonderful dining experience. While not inexpensive, it is definitely worth it for a special occasion or if you have discretionary income.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fabulousFabulousDined on 5/19/2014This restaurant offers the highest level of food and service that I have ever found. The chef is imaginative, the wine pairings are well done, and the service is outstanding. What a womderful evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration678hulaDined on 5/12/2014My daughter, husband and I enjoyed the dinner we had at the Farmhouse Inn and Restaurant. This certainly a place that I will return for occasions and to bring our family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good food, bit overpricedFranDined on 5/12/2014My first course was an avocado soup with bay shrimp. It sounded good together, but didn't quite meld. My entree, a potato crusted veal with a light Bernaise sauce, roasted asparagus, and Dungeness crab was quite good, very flavorful, and not too heavy, as you might think from these ingredients. My dessert, an apricot soufflé, was good, but not particularly inventive. We did not do the wine pairings, and I think we will go back and try the wine pairings, which I understand are excellent. I would have been much happier if the price had been $50-55 per person without wine, than the $70 price per person we paid. I'm willing to try again to see if they come a little closer to a bulls-eye.Special Features:
- Outstanding Cuisine & ServicenjtulsaDined on 5/10/2014The Farmhouse Restaurant is a delight. Each dish is prepared with great attention to flavor details and asthetics. The pre fix menu with wine provides a creative fusion of locally sourced organic foods paired with wines that are perfect flavor companions and often surprising choices. Highly Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptional serviceBurghardtVIPDined on 5/5/2014The food is always fine here but the service was exceptional. We've lived in Sonoma County for over ten years after moving from San Francisco. There are a lot of great places to eat here but we regularly comments about a narrow labor pool for sophisticated servers. Well this restaurant certainly picked the cream of the crop. It was a group effort, unobtrusive, smiling, understated - couldn't have been better.Special Features:
- Fine diningEmilyPostitDined on 5/2/2014When we want to celebrate a special occasion, we head to the Farmhouse. First of all, the service is wonderful. No one calls us "guys" or asks us "Whaddaya want?" The food is beautiful and strange and delicious. It's an all around treat for the senses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in SonomaKbe47Dined on 5/1/2014The Farmhouse Inn is way above all other restsurants in Sonoma County. Great food and great service.Special Features:
- Lives up to it's Michelin StarJazzyfilleDined on 4/28/2014Everything at Farmhouse Inn,from the greeting when you enter, to the service, to the food,was five star. As it was a Monday night we ordered one Special Prix Fixe 3 course at $49 and another three course off the menu ($69). The service was friendly, professional but not fawning. The food is stellar, each dish a delight. The grilled octopus and Rabbit,Rabbit,Rabbit are out of this world. Chef Steve Lutke is a star and we are fortunate to have him. The desserts are also to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!quester13Dined on 4/28/2014Superb attention to detail, professional and attentive wait staff, outstanding food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid!foodies2Dined on 4/26/2014Start to end, a real treat for the north bay. A special place with discerning wait staff, incredible menu and excellent execution. Not pretentious but elegant. Celebrated my husband's bday as well as our anniversary but we'll be back for "non-occasions" as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEMORABLEMARGEDined on 4/21/2014From the minute we walked in we felt welcome. I was my birthday, they had the menu printed with my name at the top. What a delightful surprise. This is a top notch restaurant in every respect. Food was beautiful and tasty, The Chefs are out stand, the Service was over the top and at our beckon call, Beverages, wonderful wine list, sparkling water, what every you want. Loved the french bread and butter. 3 or 4 course dinner, your choice. I've driven past this darling place a ga-zillion times and it's been on my "Bucket List" for a long time. I will definitely will be back for another special occasion, as soon as I can create one. It was pricey, but that comes with all of the above.Special Features:
- Fine dining in an elegant settingMarieAntoineCaremeDined on 4/20/2014For our Easter dinner this year we chose the Farmhouse Inn Restaurant. Having just arrived from Paris we were weary and ravenous for a satiating meal. Each course was superbly prepared and poetically presented, savory, aromatic, featuring blends of textures and flavors that soared well above our expectations. The wine was wonderful. The service was prompt, courteous, friendly yet formal. We intend to return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed farmhouse diningStickyriceDined on 4/20/2014Very intimate, homey restaurant with a view of the gardens. Service and food were impeccable in all ways. We particularly enjoyed the roasted quail, scallops crudo, and burrata salad as starters. Veal oscar and lamb with cumin carrots were hits for the entrees, but every dish received rave reviews. The apricot souffle was a light and original dessert. The menu includes many original choices. We enjoyed the thoughtful presentationsand unique flavor combinations. Kudos to the chef and staff for a memorable, unhurried dining experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding eveningwineBobDined on 4/18/2014Made reservations for a Good Friday special dinner. Was in the area for a special wine tasting at Martinelli. The restaurant was recommended and more than lived up to it's reputation. Inventive, tasty food combined with outstanding, friendly service made for a memorable occasion. The wine service via the sommelier was especially helpful and made the dinner extra special. I heartily endorse the restaurant and will make it a point to return next time I am in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super, but saltyFilippoVIPDined on 4/17/2014We had a very good three course dinner at the Farmhouse. My only complaint was the the quail was incredibly salty and I should have sent it back. The mushrooms with the steak were also too salty. The ahi, rabbit-rabbit-rabbit and the apricot souffle were extraordinary. I was also surprised that there were so many ingredients from far, far away. Tasmanian sea trout for example as the amuse. There is a very good wine list and the som is excellent. The wines are 3 to 3 1/2 times wholesale so that puts a bit of a damper on the experience.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerDMRamzDined on 4/13/2014We went here on Sunday night to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary and it was great. We were presented with menus that read 'Happy Anniversary' printed at the top. Very thoughtful. The restaurant is small, quiet and very cute. More of a cottage feel. Our server was a little short with us but he was attentive overall. The rest of the staff was very nice and helpful as well. We did the 3 course dinner with wine pairings. The only thing we weren't falling out of our chairs over was the dessert. They were definitely good but just not something we would have gone out of our way to order. All the wines we had were lovely. The octopus from the second course selection was absolutely to die for! Highly recommend that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dining eveningJorjiePDined on 4/13/2014My wife and I celebrated our 39th anniversary at the Farmhouse Inn Restaurant. It was special because my wife used to visit this property as a young girl when her aunt resided in the main house. Our visit brought back fond memories for her. The evening was better than we could have expected. The food was excellent and the entire staff very professional and quite friendly. It is a bit pricey, but well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in SonomalifeisacabernetDined on 4/12/2014Three or four course P F meal, spectacular preparation and presentation. The rabbit x 3 is great, loin, rack and leg a house/chef specialty. This visit included an Easter egg radish cold soup and an asparagus over meyer lemon mousse for firsts. Allyson came up with some choice wine selections, an older for wine country, Sonoma Pinot complemented the entrees. Farmhouse is a worthy stop and slow dining experience. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High-priced excellenceKarlDined on 4/11/2014We were pleased with every detail of our eating experience - the food and service was excellent - but the prices for food and wine were just too high. We can find an equivalently lovely, delicious and memorable dining experience at 10 different places in Sonoma County for half the price.Special Features:
- Perfect Anaversary DinnerJackoMcFoodieDined on 4/6/2014What a wonderful dining experience! - Food was amazing! - Beautiful plating with perfect portions. - The staff was polite, well educated on the menu and wines, and very efficient. - The atmosphere topped it all off with great floral aromas and garden views. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farmhouse DiningBallerinaDined on 4/5/2014The cuisine was scrumptious with many unusual, experimental touches, the service impeccable and caring and the ambience Wine Country lovely. This is a perfect spot for special occasion and romantic dining. For my birthday we decided to try a place we had not previously experienced and were richly rewarded. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Stars for FarmhouseElizabethDined on 4/5/2014Fabulous evening! Incredible service and a truly amazing dinner. It is always a special treat to dine at Farmhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Quality FoodYobaltoDined on 4/4/2014Since we both like to cook, we seldom go out to eat. However, at the end of a day of hiking and wine tasting, it seemed like a good idea. We are glad we did. The food at Farmhouse was exceptional. The wine pairing was dead on. The service was just right, attentive but not intrusive. I highly recommend this experience.Special Features:
- Destintion Diningtravel2dineVIPDined on 4/4/2014The Farmhouse is one of favorite dinner destinations when in Sonoma/Napa for wine buying. The meals are beautifully prepared and presented with elegance. The ingredients are first class as well. We.ve had the same server and maître d' on each visit although the sommelier was new and not familiar with the wine book. We'll be back maybe two times next visit to wine country.Special Features:
- Mixed FeelingsRobERDined on 3/30/2014I was looking for Michelin starred restaurants in Northern California when I made the booking. I wanted to find out what one star means compared with one star in Europe. Unfortunately, this restaurant did not meet the expectations that I had - especially after the great restaurants that I had visited in San Francisco before. In a very traditional and formal setting, all of the courses that I was given, seemed to be rather "boring" to me - from composition and textures to presentation! The wine pairing was very good though and the service was attendative. For me, this is a good restaurant - but not a great restaurant!Special Features:
- wowed once againOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/30/2014Another wonderful dining experience at the Farmhouse Inn! The spring menu is an inspiration and the service, as always, was warm and professional without feeling intrusive. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014It was our first time here - and we were also staying at the Inn. The meal was outstanding from the food, to the service to the wine pairings suggested by the sommelier. My wife had the Rabbit and I had the lamb. If you haven't been - go. It's as simple as that.Special Features:
- Outstanding all roundIBsommVIPDined on 3/23/2014Seriously never had a more incredibly delicious succession of dishes served with such warmth and professionalism. Ive been here for dinner 3 or 4 times before, and it's getting better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect place in Sonoma CountyCleanyourplateVIPDined on 3/22/2014Farmhouse Inn just gets better and better. The food has always been great, and the wine list remains wonderful. In more recent times, the level of service has been raised -- there are more servers and the timing and choreography of the meal are better as a result. Standout dishes were the 23 hour pork belly starter and the loin of lamb entree. Octopus starter was also nice, as was the cured ahi (a very good-sized portion for a starter). The only thing I might change is adding to the menu the wines which will be paired with each course if the wine pairing option is selected. For one or two courses where the choice was tough to make, knowing the wine to be served might have helped with the decision.Special Features:
- Intimate food settingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/21/2014Excellent food and perfect wine pairings. Small intimate room perfect for conversations with your dining companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, what an awesome dinner!SteveDined on 2/28/2014Wife and I went for our anniversary. Our waiter was super, very knowledgeable about the entire menu and very helpful in deciding what to order. We decided on the four course dinner. Starters of ravioli and octopus were outstanding, and crab leg and scallop starters also wonderful. We had mains of squab and rabbit, rabbit, rabbit. The squab was outstanding, the rabbit delectable. The wine pairings were matched perfectly and at a very reasonable price. I wanted to go back the next day and try the rest of the menu! A little bit out of the way, but well worth the drive. Will definitely be back when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.