1744 NW Market Street
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.golden-beetle.com/
- Phone: 2067062977x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30 - 6:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30 - 6:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Mediterranean, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Maria Hines
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can offer you a sit-down dinner for up to 12 people in the comfort of your own home, complete with service staff. Or, if you are interested in hosting a larger event in your home, we can offer passed hors d’oeuvres and stationary appetizers for up to 50 people.
- Special Events: In the restaurant we can offer you a semi-private sit-down dinner for groups of 16 to 30 people or a cocktail party for up to 45 people with passed hors d’oeuvres and stationary appetizers.
A word from Golden Beetle
Golden Beetle is rooted in the spices and flavors of the Mediterranean. Our Chef and owner Maria Hines was a 2009 James Beard Award winner for best Chef Northwest. Maria has recently been bestowed with the honor of being a semi-finalist for the James Beard 2013 most outstanding chef. Maria draws upon the cultures of Turkey, Greece, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt and others to present the Northwest’s best organic and seasonal ingredients from local farmers and foragers. Golden Beetle is the third restaurant in the country to receive Oregon Tilth’s esteemed organic certification. We invite you to enjoy exceptional craft cocktails and exquisite, Mediterranean food prepared with a sustainable conscience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Golden Beetle reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (15)good for groups (13)romantic (10)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (5)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- We went there for ThanksgivingNastavVIPDined on 11/28/2013We went there for Thanksgiving dinner and the experiences was the very best. It's notable that the dinner menu was crafted with both vegetarians and Turkey lovers in mind - kudos for doing a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Invention and TraditionHungryGirlDined on 11/22/2013Food was delicious--we like the inventiveness of the menu and the combination of Mediterranean influence with Hines' ingenuity. Personable waiter with whom we enjoyed chatting, but were able to continue our private conversation as soon as we wanted to turn to each other. A great place for an informal evening with delightful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful organic foodSquinnDined on 11/16/2013First, it's so nice to know that everything you eat has been sourced in the best possible manner. Second, all the food was interesting, a little unusual, and very tasty; it seemed that a lot of thought and care went into the menu and the food preparation. This may not be a drawback for some, but we were there for a leisurely birthday dinner, and the service was so rapid that we were there and gone inside of 1.25 hours, and we had appetizers, entrees, and dessert. It seemed too fast to me. Otherwise, great choice and I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun for Friday date nightCleoVIPDined on 11/8/2013We throughly enjoyed our meal on Friday 'date night.' The Red Lentil Soup and Lamb meatballs were a great start. We'll be back for another round of the Pork ribs and and Black Cod entrees. Terrific chocolate dessert ended our evening. Service was superb with a fun banter with the wait staff. We really appreciated the extra attention from the restaurant manager. Ambience clearly set the mood for Mediterranean fun in a city neighborhood cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad serviceAnnSDined on 11/8/2013This was my 2nd time at Golden Beetle. Before I dined here for the first time, a friend warned me about the poor service. I lucked out--the service was impeccable. This time, the service matched what my friend said. Our waitress was cool and aloof except when we asked her questions. Then she was knowledgeable and noticeably warmer. She was not attentive to us, and when we finished eating and our plates were cleared (those guys were great!), she was nowhere in sight. The place wasn't that busy, so where was she? We waited 30 minutes for the check, then had to flag down someone to deliver it. THEN she appeared and asked if we wanted dessert. I believe that service is key to the success of any restaurant. This time you failed, Golden Beetle.Special Features:
- Good for noshingOutandaboutDined on 11/1/2013We had mostly small plates and shared several. The pea hummus was a nice twist from the usual chickpea. The spanakopita was the best I've tasted in awhile...light, flaky pastry and fresh tasting filling. The meatballs were good, too, but it would have been nice to have 4 (instead of the three served). The cauliflower salad was also delicious, but the burger (the only large plate we ordered) was a little disappointing in regards to the bun, which was too thick and not soft enough to hold everything together. The fries that come with it are killer. You can also order the fries as a small plate. Overall, the experience was cozy and friendly. It's a great neighborhood spot where you can go for casual snacks or a bigger commitment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible TastesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/31/2013It's great that Golden Beetle not only offer a wide variety of locally-sourced, organic and incredible North African and Middle Eastern dishes, but that the plate sizes vary so we got to taste so many. We especially loved the duck pizza, meze plate with pita and three spreads, and the stuffed dates. The white Spanish wine recommended by our server was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coordinate timing!blueribbonDined on 10/25/2013The only dissapointment was that when the appetizers came, they all came at different times, which was a bit annoying as we were a party of five. One or two appetizers even came after the waitress served us our main dishes.Special Features:
- Food could not have been better!AnnaGVIPDined on 10/24/2013Great choices on the menu - lots of options for both meat and vegetarian items. Would definitely go again. The Fire and Honey chicken was delicious as were the Pork Ribs, and the trio of dips and pita. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLoverFoodLoverDined on 10/22/2013I guess everyone can have an off day, but this day was a disappointment for us. We've been several times and have loved it. The cauliflower salad is still great. But the kitchen staff this night was heavy handed with the salt, rendering my haloumi and eggplant salad almost inedible. The chickpea and lamb sausage (when you could find it) was a huge bowl of chickpeas and some fairly non identifiable sauce. We had raved about the Golden Beetle to our dining partners and sadly we were disappointed. Granted they are pretty picky. Service was spotty and we had to wait and wait and then ask again for our bill after they had taken our credit cards. We'll try again, and hope for a return to our previous experience.
- DisappointedJanolykaDined on 10/18/2013We were really looking forward to a meal at the highly recommended Golden Beetle prior to a concert in Ballard. We were shocked at the lack of any "wow" factor associated with the food. There were six of us and we chose a variety of small and large plates. Not one of the dishes made us say "yum." The staff was great - helpful, friendly and accommodating; and the presentation was very nice. It was just the blandness of the food.....not bad really, just "meh." We always appreciate and support restaurants who serve sustainable, local, organic food - this was just a really big disappointment.
- Still slow, still a limited menuFablokVIPDined on 10/18/2013I've been there twice - once last year, and once in October 2013. Both times it took 20-30 minutes to get a drink, and forever to get some appetizers. It's a nice looking bar, and some nice amenities. But overall it is a bad dining experience. Not enough menu choices. Mediocre baklava.
- Mac and CheeseTeejayDined on 10/14/2013Went to try their famous Mac and Cheese, but it was restaurant week so tried their other fare. Spanakopita, Sautéed Kale, Sundried Tomato & Garlic Pizza ... absolutely delicious! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeping Out of Town Friends HappychoconancyDined on 10/13/2013Lovely flavors, great drinks from the bar, efficient but unfussy service. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Golden Beetle aims to please! Does!FunDinersVIPDined on 10/12/2013We agreed with some new friends to "meet in the middle" (i.e. Ballard) for dinner. I'd heard a lot about Golden Beetle & was eager to try. They were game. Our evening was a delight! The food was fabulous - taste & presentation. I was thrilled by the separate, but generous Gluten-Free menu & the restaurant's obvious aim to make MY experience great, too! Jill, our waitperson, was so darling & very good! We felt very comfortable, attended to, and deeply satisfied with our dinner...which was mostly a saunter through the appetizers & small plates, because we wanted to try EVERYTHING! I loved the Lentil soup. We enjoyed the Lamb Meatballs - and appreciated Jill's suggestion that we add a fourth to the order. We can't wait to return! Thanks, GB!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit overpricedKitchen1VIPDined on 10/11/2013Went to GB on Friday night, arrived at about 6:45 and the place was fairly busy and festive. We had a great waitress. The food sounded more interesting on the menu than it actually was. My Chickpea lemon stew was ONLY chickpeas and lemon in a so-so tasting broth. I was expecting some other veggies in the "stew". My co-diners said it looked like a side dish, rather than a main course. Very expensive at $17! The pizzas are more affordable, and the cauliflower salad was good, but a bit lacking in flavor. I could have made everything better at home, for $, not $$$.Special Features:
- Great food!AnnSDined on 10/11/2013The food here is wonderful--organic, local, fresh. The chef combines ingredients beautifully. The clam dish is outstanding. If I'd been at home, I'd have licked the bowl to get up every drop of the juice. Our waiter was friendly and knowledgeable. And the bartender will make a cocktail that isn't on the menu. We let the bartender make anything they chose and they didn't disappoint. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Golden Beetle - Worth the tripElenaDined on 10/8/2013Very small happy hour menu, but the small plates were perfect as happy hour accompaniment. MUST have the trio of dips! Lots of interesting flavors in combinations new to us. Extremely helpful waitress. Sorry they were out of halibut, but I guess we'll just have to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceraindropDined on 10/5/2013Interesting menu with different ingredients, which made it fun...freekeh anyone? Servers checked in and were attentive, but did not rush service. My friend and I tried a couple of appetizers, each had a drink and main course and total with tip came to under a $100. Beward of the upsell when ordering more bread for the dip. You will pay!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small bite diningDanLDined on 9/28/2013Very good and well done dishes, albeit there were all a bit small for the prices being charged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fabulous. ServiceLuluDined on 9/28/2013Food was fabulous. Service was warm and friendly. Will return multiple times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dinnerl5intheskyDined on 9/21/2013Met up with some friends for a casual dinner, had a wonderful time. The food is amazing and service excellent. We love Golden Beetle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Golden!G100Dined on 9/15/2013What a pleasant surprise! After a meh experience at sister-restaurant Tilth, was unsure of what to expect here. All fears quickly dissipated when the servers (4, no less) shared their genuine excitement about the menu and the wine list, and happily chatted with our party about the food prep, the origin of the ingredients, and how yummy it all was. Each of them knew exactly what we ordered, and the food was delivered promptly with a brief but interesting description of the preparation. Small plates, mediterranean inspired, all delicious! I'm going back, anyone with me?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is a find!sparkyDined on 9/14/2013This restaurant is a find! The food was interesting as well as delicious, and the service was excellent. The noise level was a bit too high for our comfort, but we are senior citizens who don't hear as well as we used to:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/27/2013Food is interestingly prepared, attractive and flavorful. Services is excellent. I love this restaurant because it is so consistently excellent in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hines does Mediterranean wellOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2013Absolutely love this place. Started with the uniquely flavored Trio of Dips with (not so) flatbread, then had Spanikopita, Falafel sandwiches, incredible spiced fries with harissa aioli, the lamb and pinenut meatballs, and finished off with the spicy donuts and the daily dessert special of mascarpone ice cream with poached plums. All the flavors were different but created a well orchestrated symphony of tastes. A great place for sharable plates.Special Features:
- Good food, good service, friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2013Good food, good service, friendly staff- what more could you want?Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseElegantdiningfanDined on 8/21/2013We were given a gift card by friends for this restaurant and we were wonderfully surprised by the quality of the food. We'll definitely go back to try all of the dishes that we weren't able to get to the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Treats from the MediterraneanHaPegVIPDined on 8/18/2013Golden Beetle offers nice variations on Mediterranean cuisine with plates ideal for sharing. The baba ganoush, muhammara, and hummus appetizers go well beyond the usual, creating garlicky, sweet, and savory themes. The pizzas are flavor delights. In the savory chickpea & lemon stew with lamb sausage, the peas were underdone initially, but the staff cheerfully fixed that, resulting in perfectly cooked al dente chickpeas in a mix of wonderful flavors. Tasty desserts went well beyond the usual boring options. Draft beer is a plus. The decor is spare but clean. Service was very attentive. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Amazing organic food!EdreaDined on 8/14/2013My entire family only eats organic food. We have been eating this way for 2 years now. So, you one can only imagine how hard it has been to find a restaurant that serves organic food! My husband and I ordered their burger and fries and let me tell you, it was the best EVER! It was just like the food we cook at home. REAL WHOLE food! That doesn't make you tired after you eat it!! WOW! That's what organic food does for you. Gives you energy and doesn't make you tired. Anyway, it was AWESOME and I will definitely recommend this to EVERYONE I know!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Quality Maria Hines PlaceSandwichManDined on 8/12/2013Golden Beetle doesn't quite have the same crazy-amazing stuff as Tilth does, but their phyllo dough in particular was fantastic. A couple of the offerings (the fava bean falafel in particular) were a bit more ordinary in comparison, but the spanakopita and the black walnut baklava were both among the best we had ever had. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience and would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was surprised at how goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2013I was surprised at how good this was. The last experience at a Maria Hines restaurant was at Tilth many years ago and we had such snooty service that we vowed never to go back again. But this experience was very different. Wonderful service, food, and atmosphere. Was great that they were gluten free and vegan options highlighted in the menu. Even better, the food itself was so flavorful and well prepared! The service was low-key and knowledgeable. We got just the right amount of attention. We will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/12/2013Went to the GB on a Monday night for my birthday dinner and was pleasantly surprised by the food. I had clams as an appetizer and the yogurt chicken for my meal. Both were light and refreshing. I left very satisfied but not overstuffed. My partner ordered the fries and Mac n cheese, and although together they were too much (and too heavy), they tasted fabulous! I definitely want to come back to taste some other items on the menu. Have to say I was super excited to eat here and at Tilth which I also loved. Three cheers for a job well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maria Hines does not disappoint...goodeats2013Dined on 8/10/2013After having tried Tilth and Agro Dulce, I couldn't wait to try Golden Beetle. Of course, Maria Hines delivered - the food was spectacular! The service was prompt, but the wait staff didn't seem to know much about the menu or the wine pairings - which is a completely different experience from her other two places. Also, the vibe is more "Mediterranean cafe" rather than an upscale restaurant - which was completely fine for the occasion, but worth noting if you're expecting the same ambiance as Tilth or Agro Dulce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2013Really a lovely dinner with such delicious, flavourfull, healthy food. What a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique food, great cocktailsSEAFoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2013Unique atmosphere and flavor influence for the food. While the service was slow and often infrequent, when the dishes and drinks came out, the servers took time to explain the ingredients and flavor inspirations. The small plates are particularly delightful, especially the stuffed dates And cheese salad. Our table was split on the entree plates though, finding the sides of couscous and quinoa to be rather bland. The best part of Golden Beetle is definitely their cocktail list and their bartender creations. They also offer a large gluten free menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal!kateVIPDined on 8/7/2013Golden Beetle does not disappoint! It was my 5th time there, as always, the food and service were exceptional!!Special Features:
- We arrived on a sunny SundayadisachsDined on 8/4/2013We arrived on a sunny Sunday and hoped to sit on the patio, but were told they could only seat parties of two on the patio. The very dim lighting did not lend itself as well to brunch in my opinion. I was glad to see they served Chateau Musar by the glass, a lovely Lebanese wine. The yogurt was also a lovely starter, accented well by orange blossom water. When we asked if we could see a dessert menu, our server said they did not have one at brunch and our best option would be the doughnuts. They were fine, but not particularly memorable. All in all, a decent brunch, but the restaurant and its food feel a little tired, as if not much changes. I will note that the dark ambience and lack of patio seating may have impacted my opinions.Special Features:
- Mediterranean Ballard!TimExtonDined on 8/3/2013My wife's second visit to Ballard and my first, taken with a little trepidation as, much to my embarrassment there are few Mediterranean ingredients I don't really care for. That said, the food was very, very good ... we started with the 3 Dips ... small portions but the English Pea Hummus and Muhammara were wonderful. similarly the Spanokopita and Pickled Cherry Salad were also very well received. A little more warmth from the wait staff would be a bonus but all in all, a good place to visit for a very authentic twist on Mediterranean cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT NEW EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2013The food was excellent and the service was friendly. The place has a good energetic feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.