1744 NW Market Street
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.golden-beetle.com/
- Phone: 2067062977x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30 - 6:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30 - 6:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Mediterranean, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Maria Hines
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can offer you a sit-down dinner for up to 12 people in the comfort of your own home, complete with service staff. Or, if you are interested in hosting a larger event in your home, we can offer passed hors d’oeuvres and stationary appetizers for up to 50 people.
- Special Events: In the restaurant we can offer you a semi-private sit-down dinner for groups of 16 to 30 people or a cocktail party for up to 45 people with passed hors d’oeuvres and stationary appetizers.
A word from Golden Beetle
Golden Beetle is rooted in the spices and flavors of the Mediterranean. Our Chef and owner Maria Hines was a 2009 James Beard Award winner for best Chef Northwest. Maria has recently been bestowed with the honor of being a semi-finalist for the James Beard 2013 most outstanding chef. Maria draws upon the cultures of Turkey, Greece, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt and others to present the Northwest’s best organic and seasonal ingredients from local farmers and foragers. Golden Beetle is the third restaurant in the country to receive Oregon Tilth’s esteemed organic certification. We invite you to enjoy exceptional craft cocktails and exquisite, Mediterranean food prepared with a sustainable conscience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Golden Beetle reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (15)good for groups (12)romantic (9)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Dinner at Golden BeetleNannDined on 4/3/2014Excellent and unobtrusive service, but too noisy (as is every place these days). We were not rushed. Food not quite up to sister restaurant, Tilth. Ambience pleasant. Will go back some day. In fact, have been before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So different and so exceptional!EWFredricksDined on 4/2/2014almost everything on the menu is unique and amazingly delicious. I don't know if anything on the menu is standard fare anywhere else, but the three of us foodies delighted in everything served. I recommend concentrating on all of the small servings and sharing. The bartender came to our table and explained his concoctions and the wait staff were helpful but stayed in the background unless needed..Special Features:
- Delicious BeetlePainterPrinterPoetDined on 3/27/2014We love the Golden Beetle's delicious food and nice ambience. The Black Cod is my fave dish. We like the dips and the French Fries. The lamb serving this time was a bit teeny, but my husband and our business partner reported that it and the pork ribs were both tasty,. We shall return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a nice surprise!PatRDined on 3/22/2014We'd read good things about the Golden Beetle and the chef, and were not disappointed. This is the real deal. Simple foods, creatively prepared, with a focus on flavor. Great ambience too. Every seat was filled on a Saturday night, but we didn't feel crowded or drowned out. Can't wait to go back. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- OverpricedFitFoodieVIPDined on 3/22/2014Tilth this is not. But the food is priced and sized as if it were. A good restaurant but not worth the price.
- Loved the golden beetle!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014Fantastic drinks to start, servers were knowledgable and super friendly. Food was excellent. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had all small plate "appetizers'mab2Dined on 3/20/2014We had all small plate "appetizers' and every single one was absolutely fabulous....not just good but really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ExperienceDinnerGuestDined on 3/19/2014The food was absolutely perfect. Dip trio, sumac fries, pizza, pork ribs; every person was thrilled with their order!Special Features:
- Wonderful food; terrible serviceCETEDined on 3/15/2014The food is innovative, flavorful, with wonderful options for large and small plates. We particularly enjoyed the Halloumi Salad and the Potato and Cod Samosa. Our favorite large plate was the lamb shoulder. Every dish was perfectly prepared. The service was insulting. We had to ask the hostess to find our server to begin our meal. For a 7:30 reservation, we were finally attended to a little before 8. We asked for additional pita bread and coffee that never came. By the middle of the meal we were abandoned; we watched as two servers who had been assigned to us retire to the bar. It's a small restaurant (we were sat in the smoke from the wood-oven right next to the kitchen), and we were ignored for most of our meal. We will not return.
- 1) Service was very nice,NWFoodieVIPDined on 3/11/20141) Service was very nice, great food knowledge 2) The problem was the food, while some items were great (winter salad) and had wonderful flavors, others were outright appalling (goat pizza). First of all the goat must have run away, as there was barely any meat on the pizza. The pizza was more along the line of a flatbread from Trader Joe's, just not as good as the super market version and the plating was outright lazy and ugly. 3) Value/Price: We paid $60 for a salad, a burger, a pizza, and two non alcoholic drinks with no dessert. Overpriced. Unfortunately, a restaurant that has this chef's name on it, needs to do better.
- poor servicewaterloverDined on 3/4/2014We were seated in a dining room occupied by one other couple and ignored for 15 minutes. The guy who seated us didn't say anything (like your server is so and so and will be with you shortly) The other server kept passing by us without making eye contact. The guy who seated us just kept talking to the bartender. I had to actually interrupt their conversation and ask if we could order some drinks! We were going to leave and probably should have. The food could have been great but I am so annoyed I can't honestly review it. Unfortunate and I will not go back.Special Features:
- Best chicken I have ever hadodellbpDined on 2/23/2014Really simple wholesome menu that will not disappoint. Lots of organic and gluten free options. Heading back there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant has wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/23/2014This restaurant has wonderful and unique food. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great place to celebrateDyanDined on 2/22/2014The food was delish from the appetizer to the main course to the dessert! Good drinks and wine list too. We were celebrating a birthday with family. It will be a sweet memory!Special Features:
- Recent visit for a birthdayEastsidefoodieGRDined on 2/16/2014I chose this place as I had been to Tilth before and this is part of the same group. We ordered the duch sausage and the lamb pizzas along with the eggplant pie and some other starters. Both pizzas were average tasting and the duck pizza was burnt. Also we waited for our food after our 1st starter came (Muhamara) for 40 mins! The waiter was nice enough to take a couple of startes off, but by the time food came we were really hungry and the pizzas were a let down. I will go back to Tilth, but won't come here again.Special Features:
- Great GiftLednicfDined on 2/15/2014We received a gift card for The Golden Beetle... Great gift!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Food was excellent! Fun and comfortable dining atmosphere. Server was very attentive. Great food great service. Can't wait until our next visit!Special Features:
- FLAVORful!CutcutDined on 2/6/2014Loved the flavors and creative, nutritious dishes. Absolutely delicious! Enjoyed the unreal kale dish and creamy (but vegan!) soup. Our server was as enthusiastic about the food as me, and it showed. Can't wait to go back for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Maria Hines!AmandaKDined on 1/29/2014Not our favorite of her three places in Seattle, but still a lovely place to go. You can always tell that the staff is doing their absolute best to make your night enjoyable. They are warm and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was yummy and serviceShellDined on 1/27/2014Food was yummy and service was great! Would recommend it to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as the others ----savvydocDined on 1/25/2014This is the 3rd MH restaurant in which we have dined in the past 60 days. Tilth & Agrodolce are definitely top of the line. Golden Beetle? Not so much. Neither the food nor the service met the standards of the other 2. The place was quite noisy on a Sat night & definitely not for romantic dining. Won't be going back there any time soon.
- great date nightmontanarayDined on 1/24/2014Goat cheese pizza was to die for-loved the crust especially! Fabulous staff and fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad but too expensiveZabavaDined on 1/21/2014Not bad but too expensive for the quality of food that is being served.Special Features:
- Post doctor visit treatWasabiboyDined on 1/14/2014If you hate going to doctor's appointments or to the hospital like we do; this is a nice way to treat yourself afterwards - walking distance from Swedish. The food is flavorful Mediterranean and the waitress was very helpful in giving advice and picking the perfect wine to accompany the meal. The atmosphere is so so and chairs not terribly comfortable but all in all a nice neighborhood find. I was especially impressed with the spices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchcsgrhgDined on 1/14/2014I took 2 of my friends and we enjoyed a delicious lunch. Two of us had gyros and one had the falafel. I ordered the spicy french fries which were among the best I've ever had. Each of us raved over our meals. The serve was pleasant but not particularly friendly. My only negative comment was that my table rocked. It was a bit annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd visitRTHAMAKVIPDined on 1/13/2014This place is great! Super consistant, very delicious and innovative offerings. Go with a group and share a bunch of small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed it but not as usual.l5intheskyDined on 1/10/2014We've had many very fabulous dinners here in the past, both as a couple and with groups, and always left raving about the food, service and ambience. The bar is fun to sit at, the drinks and wine excellent, the table areas warm and inviting. However, this time the food wasn't quite as good and service just off enough to notice. The dips trio were still amazing, but everything else seemed to have been way over-salted which spoiled the flavors. The butternut soup in particular is usually fantastic but this time served luke warm and no other real flavor but sodium. It had a quality of "just a restaurant" rather than "an amazing restaurant". But, I'm sure it will be much better next time we go there and we will definitely try again!!Special Features:
- Too salty, portions paltryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014We spent close to $150 for 2 people and left hungry. We split 2 appetizer, each had our own bowl of soup, each had a "large plate" (joke), split a carafe of wine and a dessert. I didn't finish the quinoa & carrots on my "large plate" because it was WAY too salty. I love good food and spending good money on a nice dinner. I will not be returning to Golden Beetle. Very disappointing.
- Great Mediterranean food!SCmollyDined on 1/4/2014Delish food, nice wine list, though the portions are small, they're very well done. Delicious and creative!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experienceNerdFataleDined on 1/3/2014My date and I ordered three different small plates, including a trio of dips, and absolutely everything was delicious! Our drinks were also amazing, and our server was friendly and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK experienceTangletownTomDined on 12/27/2013Good food - nothing outstanding, which would make we want to come back every month. One peeve (not limited to this restaurant) - diners often wonder "are two small plates enough for me", or "how big are the servings?", and we got the answer "Well, it depends on the particular small plate", which gives diners absolutely no idea about quantities.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatCevesusDined on 12/21/2013Was first time and everything was great. There was no food left on the table. The only thing was the Ribs the sauce was heavy for me. I think we are going to your next restaurant, the oldest.Special Features:
- Missing a little somethingThermosDined on 12/17/2013Only 1/5 of the room was filled during the course of our dinner. It was a Tuesday but felt like a morgue. Despite that the service was inconsistent, our initial server disappeared and getting the bill was a challenge. Our starters were consistent and the preparations innovative but nothing really stood out. At this point I am taking the Golden Beetle off my list.
- I really enjoyed our dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013I really enjoyed our dinner and would definitely go back. We had the rabbit puff pastry and black cod and each were amazing.Special Features:
- Loved the Golden Beetle!KandTDined on 12/14/2013Food was incredible and the staff were superb in recommendations and service. The entire meal was memorable, and I snuck out a copy of the menu to inspire me to try to replicate the awesomeness! Will definitely go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, accomadating serviceklaaslDined on 12/8/2013The food was good, healthy, and unique. They were very good at being flexible to handle a soy, gluten, egg allergy (recommended telling them at reservation). Same owners as tilth to give an index.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plate perfectionJenInBallardDined on 12/7/2013Three of us were here for dinner on a Saturday night and couldn't have been more pleased with our meal. The small plates were exceptional, and the oyster special was so amazing we ordered a second. I asked for the bartender's choice cocktail and he came to the table to check my preferences and then made something I never would have ordered but absolutely loved. I feel so privileged to have this gem in our Ballard neighborhood. I will be back again very soon!Special Features:
- ThanksgivingjamesVIPDined on 11/28/2013Had a nice Thanksgiving meal. Service was very good. Food was good, nothing memorable. We were very appreciative that they were open. Reasonable priced pre fixe menu.Special Features:
- We went there for ThanksgivingNastavVIPDined on 11/28/2013We went there for Thanksgiving dinner and the experiences was the very best. It's notable that the dinner menu was crafted with both vegetarians and Turkey lovers in mind - kudos for doing a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Invention and TraditionHungryGirlDined on 11/22/2013Food was delicious--we like the inventiveness of the menu and the combination of Mediterranean influence with Hines' ingenuity. Personable waiter with whom we enjoyed chatting, but were able to continue our private conversation as soon as we wanted to turn to each other. A great place for an informal evening with delightful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.