Firefly Grill & Wine Bar
251 N. El Camino Real Suite B
Encinitas, CA 92024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly Grill & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.fireflygrillandwinebar.com/
- Phone: 7606351066
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Rinaudo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Parties from 10 to 200. Each menu customized for every party.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Barrasso 7606351066
A word from Firefly Grill & Wine Bar
North County's Sexiest Place to Sip. Seasonal menu featuring local ingredients. Award winning wine list featuring 30 wines by the glass with an additional 100 by the bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Firefly Grill & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Encinitas ›
Firefly Grill & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)notable wine list (19)special occasion (15)romantic (12)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Left hungrySallyDined on 7/26/2013The ambiance is fine, definitely dark, with dark wood, colors. Service was ok, waiter would disappear for long periods of time. The food portions are very small. I ordered a seafood dish, I got 1 shrimp, 1 scallop, 4 clams, 1 piece of fish, all small. $27.
- over priced, very salty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/14/2013The portions served from the small plates menu were very small- substantially smaller than other local restaurants with similar menus and pricing. THe majority of the items we ordered were over salted (the mac and cheese was so salty that each of us had a small spoonful and didn't want more. The romaine salad was overdressed and very salty as well as very soggy. There were no interesting vegetable options on the small plate menu.
- Chef Tasting Menu rocksoenophile59VIPDined on 7/12/2013We have been to Firefly several times but had not eaten there in a while since during my last visit I was less than impressed with the food and service. Wow what a difference this time! There is a new chef and on weekends he does a chef tasting menu that you can do with wine pairings. It was just fabulous!! Each course was absolutely perfectly executed and the wine pairings to my palate (other than the Zin-sorry Jim) were just fabulous!! Erin, our server did just a great job as well, she was always around when we looked up and was able to answer questions about the food very enthusiastically, kudos to her. Just had a great, great time this weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dependable warm neighborhoodSweet2eatVIPDined on 7/2/2013Great dependable warm neighborhood place with excellent fairly priced wine list.Special Features:
- Six of us had a wonderfulLindaVIPDined on 6/23/2013Six of us had a wonderful evening at Firefly last Sunday...how can you beat choosing between the Prix FIxe or Sunday night burgers! Jim set up three glasses each for us to do a side by side tasting. We really felt like guests in his home. We lingered over dessert with no one rushing us out. Fabulous!Special Features:
- Great PlaceHonLouVIPDined on 6/16/2013Great place for dining with great service and food.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/17/2013We had a lovely dinner there. We started with the Tapas Trio, a favorite of ours. We also had the dinner salad which is OK. I had the ShortRibs which I always order because they are so good. My husband had the filet which was also excellent. Too full for dessert, darn. It's a bit pricey but very good. It's located in a strip mall, so there's no view except for traffic and the parking lot, so I wouldn't call it romantic. They also have outdoor dining and a Happy Hour menu which we have not tried yet.Special Features:
- Another truly enjoyable eveningLindaVIPDined on 5/12/2013Another truly enjoyable evening at Firefly for a combined Mother's Day/birthday celebration. Excellent tasting menu, and two of us chose one of the Sunday night burger specials. We lingered over dinner, and enjoyed the atmosphere. Jim was the consummate host, and Jake a thoughtful and attentive waiter. Our favorite San Diego restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day Brunch 2013MootzDined on 5/12/2013The food was just ordinary, not real special for a brunch. I think they should add a fruit plate or something to nibble on while waiting for your order. I would not go back for the brunch.
- Happy hour menu is excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/6/2013Happy hour menu is excellent and it's available all night on Mondays. Service is always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific evening out withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/6/2013Terrific evening out with good friends. The food was great - particularly the scallops. There was some disappointment, by one in the party, of the crab cakes. Duck confit was excellent. We would highly recommend it to our neighbors who are looking for a nice evening out, in a most pleasant atmosphere, and close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night vs. Girls' nightJoRuDined on 5/3/2013We had a girls' night out dinner here on Friday night and it's definitely more conducive to a "date night." The ambience was charming and romantic. Dimly lit. Decent wine selection. We felt like we needed to censor ourselves a bit and tone down our volume since it was so quiet. Portions were a bit on the small side for the price. Something you'd expect downtown but not in Encinitas. However, I was very satisfied with my Filet, garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2013Awesome place, first time there but definitely coming back.Special Features:
- Great food, once again. ExcellentLindaVIPDined on 3/31/2013Great food, once again. Excellent choice for dinner Easter evening. Jim is the consummate host, waitstaff attentive but not intrusive, all diners raved about their meals. My favorite restaurant!Special Features:
- Pleasant and attentive waitAndy123VIPDined on 3/15/2013Pleasant and attentive wait staff. Great looking menu. Food wss good bout not great. 10$ corkage is nice. Will go backSpecial Features:
- One of our favorite spotsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2013One of our favorite spots - we have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Perfect place for a romanticLindaVIPDined on 2/14/2013Perfect place for a romantic Valentine's Day dinner!Special Features:
- Bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2013On Wed., 2/13/13 we took guest for dinner. The food was terrible. The flat iron steak and the filet were cooked well done and both were requested to be rare. I ordered the duck casserol and it was so dry and salty that I sent it back. The clams and mussels were fresh and tastful but had no liquids. We have had drinks and appetizers at your place several but never dinner. We will not be back for dinner.Special Features:
- Food was delicious, howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/2/2013Food was delicious, however entree portion of scallops was quite small for the price.Special Features:
- Really need to take the foodSEB1VIPDined on 2/2/2013Really need to take the food up a notch. It was too expensive for very marginal food.
- This was not the first timeGramDined on 1/26/2013This was not the first time we dned at Firefly and have enjoyed it. We did, however feel rushed. The service is exellent, but we like to relax between courses. My entree was not very good, but that was my poor choice not the fault of Firefly.Special Features:
- Firefly was wonderful andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013Firefly was wonderful and offered a 30.00 3 course dinner that was delicious. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Love this place, best restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/25/2013Love this place, best restaurant in the area, only one with New York or San Francisco quality!Special Features:
- Great as always - we had especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2013Great as always - we had especially good service (nice blond server, Emily?) and had a super time. REservation under Thomas Miles.Special Features:
- Hidden gem in Encinitas!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/24/2013We had a fantastic dinner! We brought our own wine wine and then abandoned that idea when we saw a pairing/tasting menu for our meal during restaurant week. Every course was wonderful and paired well with a full pour of wine to compliment each course. The short ribs were delicious, as well as the sea bass. The filet was perfectly prepared. Service was great! Very attentive. Everything was very flavorful with beautiful presentation. They have a prefix menu, similar to a restauant week menu, during certain days of the week. We will return! No need to drive and find parking in San Diego. This is a local gem!Special Features:
- Always Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/20/2013Hadn't been to this restaurant in many years. Thought we'd go as it was restaurant week and wanted to try it again. Come to find out they have their own prix-fixe dinner 4 nights a week, every week! The food was very good (better than most in town), service good - we would have liked our server to pour the wine for us from the bottle, instead we poured it ourselves - other than that we enjoyed ourselves and look forward to coming back.Special Features:
- We enjoyed a delightful RestaurantLindaVIPDined on 1/20/2013We enjoyed a delightful Restaurant Week dinner at Firefly. We each tried a different first course, main course, and dessert and all were delicious. Thanks to Jim and his staff for another memorable evening at Firefly!Special Features:
- always worth the driveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013Firefly is 1 of our favorite restaurants. We make sure to include it on special occasions and during restaurant week. The ambiance is very nice. The owner is very sociable and knowledgeable. The wait staff was great and the food was delicious. We had the wine pairing along with the food and as usual it was spot on. We now live in Oceanside,. but you are always worth the drive.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013I've been at firefly often. I love the food and ambiance. The service on this night was very poor. The waitress never gave her name and we waited 30 minutes for bread sticks even after asking for them twice. It was so crowded and loud that it was not very enjoyable. I'm sure the crowd was because it was restaurant week and you had a great deal for a meal for $30. The food was good and appealing to the eye. The waitress responded well to empathy but just was not very friendly. There needed to be more help. Just too busy.
- An Encinitas Favorite!WDG211VIPDined on 1/18/2013The carrot bisque with a touch of ginger was amazing. The pan seared sea bass and lobster crusted filet mignon were spectacular and the wine pairings were excellent. Even their bread is superb. Highly recommend Firefly.Special Features:
- We dined at Firefly as partOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/18/2013We dined at Firefly as part of Restaurant week and did the wine pairings. It could not have been better. The food was outstanding and the wine expertly paired which added to the enjoyment. The service was polished and further addeed to the enjoyment.Special Features:
- Overall it was an enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2013Overall it was an enjoyable experience. Quality of food very good.Special Features:
- My wife and I have been togoupninDined on 1/18/2013My wife and I have been to Firefly many times. We have always enjoyed the variety and preparation of the food offered. We do also enjoy the wines. The restaurant week menu was a very nice offering with good selections of several tasty dishes. The place was busy but seemed to handle it well. The service has not been a strong point in our previous visits, but the food & wine bring us back. This time they were adequately staffed and the service was better. You will enjoy this place.Special Features:
- One of our favsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/17/2013Always a favorite. Celebrated our 20th anniversary here. I was restaurant week and the service was still the best.Special Features:
- Great experience at Firefly.TLCSoCalVIPDined on 1/17/2013Great experience at Firefly. Restaurant Week menu was delicious - and we'll be back for more after Restaurant Week concludes.Special Features:
- Amazing food during Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/16/2013Amazing food and great service. Most restaurants that participate in restaurant week let the food quality and service slide a little, but not the case at Firefly. The food was just as amazing as my previous visits. The staff was amazing and prompt, despite the restaurant being packed to the gills. We ordered the carrot ginger bisque, lobster-encrusted filet, and white chocolate cheescake. Amazing. Firefly never disappoints and it was another amazing meal. Would love to see a risotto back on the menu!Special Features:
- We had a good visit for RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/16/2013We had a good visit for Restaurant Week. The meal was a great value, and fun to try different things. Only thing that 'rocked our world', however, was the Shrimp Bisque. Expected more.Special Features:
- The $30 deal was the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/15/2013The $30 deal was the best I have had. Excellent choices and well presented and well prepared. The cheese dessert was out of the question - too bad other restaurants do not bother with cheese at the end of a meal.Special Features:
- We went for restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/15/2013We went for restaurant week and had a great time. Food was good and staff was super friendly. The best part is its walking distance from our house!Special Features:
- Have been wanting to dineSindee64Dined on 1/14/2013Have been wanting to dine at Firefly Grill for Restaurant Week for years and finally had the opportunity to do so this month, Jan. 2013. Their menu selection is excellent! And great wine list! Our party was very happy.Special Features: