Firefly Grill & Wine Bar
251 N. El Camino Real Suite B
Encinitas, CA 92024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly Grill & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.fireflygrillandwinebar.com/
- Phone: 7606351066
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Rinaudo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Parties from 10 to 200. Each menu customized for every party.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Barrasso 7606351066
A word from Firefly Grill & Wine Bar
North County's Sexiest Place to Sip. Seasonal menu featuring local ingredients. Award winning wine list featuring 30 wines by the glass with an additional 100 by the bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Firefly Grill & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Encinitas ›
Firefly Grill & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)notable wine list (25)special occasion (23)romantic (21)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (6)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Never Disappointed!winelvrDined on 2/14/2014We always enjoy our dining at this restaurant. The food and the wine are both wonderful, and the presentation beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to placedeputydawgDined on 2/14/2014When we go out on a special occasion we enjoy being where we are comfortable and the people are friendly...thats the FireflySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining ExperienceSobeeDined on 2/8/2014Service, food and ambience well all above our expectations.Special Features:
- Mixed food quality on this visitabsolutepalateVIPDined on 2/8/2014We had a very good experience on 22 Jan, but this time the culinary execution was a mixed bag. Conclusion: This restaurant is inconsistent in the quality of its dishes.
- Inattentive waiter.NancyDined on 1/31/2014Nice place. Unfortunately, our waiter, wasn't attentive. We had difficulty getting his attention while he was within a few feet of us. It became ridiculous. He didn't glance at our table whenever he was near us to serve others, or while talking to other waiters (with his back to us) at the kitchen serving area. At one point, I'd had it, got up, walked across the room while he was standing there, and asked him to come and take our order. We had reservations, asked for but weren't given the available booth, one side of our given table was under lights, so I moved our place settings for more privacy. To his credit, the owner noticed, quickly helped, and dimmed the lights, which we very much appreciated. Soup, salad, delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something newEagerEaterDined on 1/29/2014Wife said short rib was good. I had wild bore.I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friend and I came for happyNancyDined on 1/29/2014My friend and I came for happy hour and ordered appetizers and wine. Service was great and the food was delicious. Will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekLindaVIPDined on 1/26/2014Great choices on Firefly's Restaurant Week menu...the roasted beet salad and apple pot du creme were my favorites...the pie crust shard were to die for! Jim and his team make any evening at Firefly a very special event. Restaurant week continues through the 31st....don't miss it!Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014Our first time here because of the restaurant week promotion even though it's literally within walking distance from our house. We arrived promptly at 7:30pm on a Friday night for our reservation but had to wait for more than 30 minutes to get seated. The hostess comp'ed us with a drink while we waited, which was nice gesture. The ambiance was cozy and romantic with dim lighting. The food was great with sophisticated tastes. Overall, I would come back again.Special Features:
- The Restaurant Week experiencecruizineDined on 1/23/2014The Restaurant Week offering was a bit pedestrian. The Pork Shoulder was mushy and the desert was like a Hostess Cupcake with a dab of ice cream.Special Features:
- Great Date NightKenMDined on 1/22/2014I always enjoy going to Firefly. The food is consistently good and everyone is always nice and knowledgeable about the menu and the wine. This time we tried the prefix menu (Restaurant week) and added n the wine paring. It was the perfect amount of food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked this place; will return soonabsolutepalateVIPDined on 1/22/2014Surprisingly creative dishes. Great taste combinations. Chef is imaginative in combining flavor elements with perfect balance. Rates very good+ on all criteria. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Pairingdww62Dined on 1/19/2014This is the second time we enjoyed a three course meal with wine pairing. I would be nice if the servers provide some information about the choice of wine paired. Good food and service. Happy Hour is great!Special Features:
- wine pairinghappydinnerDined on 1/19/2014The food was good, but the wine pairing was kind of off.Special Features:
- Business DinnerRoseDined on 1/16/2014The restaurant accommodated a request. The ambience is great. The service spot on. And the food, wow 2 of us had the short rib, amazing. The other had the Wild Boar, delicious and tender, and great flavor. This restaurant a keeper. Will be back often, our office is just up the street.Special Features:
- Firefly glowing in EncinitasvbubetDined on 1/14/2014We selected the restaurant based upon closeness to Oceanside, food type and access. We were pleasently surprised with food, ambiance and wine list. It met our requirements and will now become a Neighborhood Gem. The evening was after 8:00 pm on a Tuesday, we were the last customer to arrive and leave. The staff were quick to seat us, get us oriented to the menus and point out the nice wine list. I like to think of myself as knowing a few wineries, but the house has an eclectic taste that we enjoyed with our appetizer sampler. The best part of the appetizer was the bacon wrapped dates. The entrees were both beef, filet mignon and New York. The meat was cooked to order and arrived hot from the kitchen.Special Features:
- Quiet and romanticLooking2eatDined on 1/10/2014This place was inviting from the outside and cozy on the inside; A great place for a romantic night out. You had several wines to chose from and a drink special list which had tasty cocktails. The food was time perfectly between the apps and main course. Even though our reservation was at 9p and the closed at 10, nothing was rushed. Firefly is a cute place, I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who gets whatCookingPartnersVIPDined on 12/31/2013Firefly has become our traditional New Years Eve spot. As usual selections were interesting and preparation was wonderful. No idea what was going on with the service. There were four of us and each course something was delivered to the wrong person. In one instance, to the wrong table. We have notice d this before that there needs to be more attention to detail when good brought to table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!ESJBDined on 12/29/2013We have dined frequently here as a twosome, with large and small groups. Love the atmosphere and the food is excellent. It is great if you want to have a conversation and dine leisurely. New Year's had a great prix-fix menu with or without wine. They also have a great happy hour in the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Special MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2013Very good job with their pre-fix diner & wine pairingsSpecial Features:
- PerfectCatGirlDined on 12/10/2013As usual, dining at Firefly was wonderful. There were six of us who all ordered different meals. Everyone thought theirs was the best. The wine lovers felt there was an excellent selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ServiceSmittenDined on 11/22/2013We are always pleased with our dining experience at Firefly, from our initial greeting at the door to the final morsel! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner at Firefly.LindaVIPDined on 11/17/2013Excellent dinner at Firefly. I tried the Baby Kale Salad for the first time, and it was superb! My husband had the tasting menu, always a delicious choice. Great to chat with Jim, and Jake did a fine job, as always.Special Features:
- Delectable!BarboVIPDined on 11/16/2013In all the years we've been dining at Firefly, never ever has anyone had even a minor complaint or not finished everything on their plate. We've taken many people with varying palates over the years. Portions are the perfect size, the menu is always interesting and current. Fun cocktails and a great wine list. Just go, experience it personally. We don't go often enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayDisappointedVIPDined on 11/15/2013I've eaten here a number of times and it seems like the menu doesn't change much. I'm gluten free, so my options are significantly limited, but I've had the exact same entree the last four visits, and I am pretty much over it. The short ribs are good, but nothing about this dish has changed. I really appreciate restaurants that change up their menu occasionally, or that offer evening specials. I think that there are likely better options for a truly great meal in this neighborhood.
- ImpressedCankp81VIPDined on 11/3/2013We just moved here from LA a few months ago and Firefly is 5 min from our house so we decided to check it out. So glad we did! Owner greeted us at the door, very friendly. We split a bunch of items and enjoyed everything! Butternut squash soup was luscious, duck confit & Bleu cheese flatbread was very tasty ( was heavy in the Bleu cheese, but we happen to love Bleu cheese), Bleu cheese and Bacon macaroni was creamy and not overpowering at all! And the braised wild boar was also fabulous. Super tender and polenta was very creamy. I'm 9 months pregnant so I wasn't able to enjoy a cocktail, but looking forward to going back! With my husband's 2 beers, the bill was only about $60 which very reasonable for all that food! Service also great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid dinners, so-so apps & dessertHappyDinerVIPDined on 11/1/2013My husband and I both greatly enjoyed our entrees (blue cheese crusted filet & grilled salmon), but the crab cake appetizer and brown butter cake dessert were more "meh." The crab cake didn't seem to use the best crab, and the brown butter "cake" was more like a bread - not very moist or sweet. I'd stick to the main courses next time.
- Wonderful dinner on SundayLindaVIPDined on 10/27/2013Wonderful dinner on Sunday evening at Firefly. My husband order the prix fixe meal--a delicious combination! The service was excellent--thank you Jacob. Jim was the perfect host, as always. Highly recommend Firefly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timeeileenedDined on 10/26/2013Our dineout group has been active since 1986. Every month we find a spot to enjoy a meal. This is our third trip to Firefly, and it never disappoints. The menu is varied, specials and tasting menu available, and the wine menu is designed for pairing with main dishes. We also brought some of our wine which we enjoyed with a $10 corkage charge. Members of our group ordered salmon and scalllops dishes and everyone enjohyed dinner. 'we also noted tht the decor had been updated. All in all, a satisfactory dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firefly is our destinationCookingPartnersVIPDined on 10/10/2013Firefly is our destination of choice when we want to "kick it up a notch" and stay in the neighborhood. We had our wedding dinner there and are regulars for New Years Eve, but it is equally good for a Sunday night burger after a hectic weekend or a light dinner at the bar.Special Features:
- First Time and Loved It!YummmDined on 10/4/2013Honestly heard about this restaurant from Chopped TV show as the chef participated and got to 2nd place, plus, the fact that its close to our home. So we decided to check it out and so worth it. The service was good and the food was excellent, we went for brunch and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekFoody92008Dined on 9/27/2013I came here with friends for restaurant week. The appetizer, a Belgian Endive with Blue Cheese was very "Blue Cheese". Big chunks of Blue Cheese overpowered the salad completely. I then chose the Beef Trio. I liked the Short ribs, didn't care for the Filet Mignon which was very dry and almost well done instead of the medium I ordered. My friend had a true medium, but it was dry as well. The meat looked already dry on the plate. The bacon potato hash was very bacony, didn't taste anything else than bacon. The desert was supposedly a mascarpone cheesecake but it was not soft at all. The texture was like it had way too much gelatin in it. I did try the boar dish my husband had ordered and this was delicious. Also liked the wine pairing.Special Features:
- Nice SurprisetomwVIPDined on 9/26/2013This was our first time, so we read the reviews, looked over the menu, and it still exceeded our expectations. Food, service, and atmosphere were all way above good. Ordering from the Restaurant Week menu (with pairing) allowed Firefly to put their best foot forward and they excelled. Looking forward to many more visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- firefly grill really lit upcoolhandDined on 9/21/2013The food was great and the ambiance lovely...definitely will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food find!Wally75Dined on 9/20/2013I wanted to try something new during Restaurant Week in San Diego....boy, did I make a good choice! My husband and I choose different items off of the prix fix that Firefly was doing for the event...wow! I had an endive & apple salad with a champagne dressing to start, lovely. He had lobster gnocchi to start, they were tender and delicious. My entree was a meat feast of bacon/potato hash topped with a beautifully cooked sirloin and a little rib croquette, all with red wine reduction...ooooohhhhh! My husband had the wild boar which was melt in your mouth. Dessert was equally delish - cinnamon creme brulee for him, and marscapone cheesecake for me! Excellent service, wine selection and ambience all added to the food! Loved this place!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week try of restaurantkarakDined on 9/19/2013Very enjoyable experience from the welcoming greeting to the thank you at the end of the visit. Service was charming and just enough. Food choices for Restaurant Week were interesting and varied as well as delicious. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekLindaVIPDined on 9/18/2013Highly recommend Firefly to all. Our party of four had a great restaurant week meal at Firefly. The food was delicious, our server; Jason, was attentive to us without being obsequious; Jim was the always-gracious host Thanks for another great night at Firefly!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2013I have eaten here a few times and have never had a bad meal. The food is delicious. They have a great Happy Hour too 7 days a week. 3:30 - 6:30.Special Features:
- A great favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2013My friends and I have been going to Firefly for several years now, and always enjoy the food and the great wine list. The weekend tasting menu is always a great deal, and offers a pleasing variety of dishes, along with optional wine pairings. The wine list has many reasonably priced selections, and Jim, the owner, gives great advice on choosing wine. This is definitely one of the best restaurants in San Diego county!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Service lackingtennisfanazDined on 8/16/2013My party of 6 chose this restaurant based on the menu. Food sounded good, looked interesting, nice variety. All of this turned out to be true. We all loved out meal. Unfortunately, the evening was not as special as we'd hoped due to our waiter. He seemed to be barely coherent. Slow to approach the table, as he and other servers stood by just watching the dining room. The restaurant was not busy. He was not able to clearly answer questions about the menu. When asked "What berries are in the mixed berry cobbler?", he answered "Well, it's an assortment." and gave a laugh. We purchased a bottle of wine, but no one ever followed up to see if we wanted another. Overall, good food but the service did not make us feel like we were welcome guests.I would recommend this to a friend.