Fourth Estate Restaurant at the National Press Club
529 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20045Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Fourth Estate Restaurant at the National Press Club
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://press.org/fourthestate
- Phone: 2026627638x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Brunch: Saturday 11:30-2:30pm Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - last seating, 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Susan Delbert
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: In addition to the a la carte dining in the Fourth Estate, we offer 10 other rooms, with seating up to 400, in which to hold your event.
- Special Events: Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights feature a $30 3-course Prix Fixe Menu, comprised of the freshest, most flavorful meats, fish & produce.
- Cross Street: 14th & F
- Public Transit: Take Metro to the Metro Center Station. We are located on the corner of 14th and F. Enter on the 14th street side under the awning for the National Pres Building, and take the elevators to the 13th Floor. Ask the front desk attendant for the Fourth Estate Restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We offer parking during our dinner hours at the PMI Lot on 1325 G St, NW. Bring your ticket with you from the garage and we will gladly validate.
A word from Fourth Estate Restaurant at the National Press Club
Dine at the Fourth Estate restaurant at the National Press Club and you'll enjoy great food in a setting rich with history. It is the perfect place for a business lunch, interview or dinner with friends and colleagues. Executive Chef Susan Delbert offers up New American cuisine in a place where famous and newsworthy persons aren't just autographed pictures on the wall, they are probably speaking in the next room! While the venue is historic, the food is rooted in the here and now. Chef Delbert works with organic and small farmers in the Mid-Atlantic region, giving her access to the freshest, most flavorful meats and produce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fourth Estate Restaurant at the National Press Club reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (31)great for lunch (26)fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (19)romantic (17)good for groups (13)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- ExceptionalcecilDined on 12/7/2013I ordered the Seared Duck and my lady friend ordered the Lamb both were exceptionally good. The portions was just right.The service of the wait staff Cecilio was equally exceptional he was very attentive even when handling multiple tables. The experience was excellent will definitely recommend this place and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKYWonderDined on 12/7/2013We took two neighbors for their first visit to the Fourth Estate. We could not have done better in DC. Each plate was well prepared and presented at the table, receiving compliments all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, flexible aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Delicious food, flexible about special food requests. Refreshingly quiet. Superb service. Parking voucher was very helpful. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service4eva21Dined on 12/6/2013The servers were great and courteous. Food was good. I had the Baby spinach salad, which was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A D.C. GemNewsGuy1Dined on 12/6/2013Full disclosure: I am a National Press Club member, but I don't believe that clouds my opinion here. The ambiance is perfect for those who desire the D.C. power player experience and want a fine meal. The service is attentive, but low key. The food is excellent. At member prices it is a wonderful dinner bargain and even for the public, the prices are more than reasonable for the quality of the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect except . . .MadhatterDined on 12/5/2013When we arrived and were ready to be seated, a more important person (?) came in and got seated before us. I admit he was meeting people there, but he could have found them himself. We were left standing there looking and feeling totally insignificant. Then they did not bring us our drinks until we had to ask for them. Granted, we had a coupon we were using, but we use those to judge a place as to whether we would want to come back. Although the food was OUTSTANDING the attitude of the wait staff left me cold. I will admit the service was good after that, but, in my opinion, the damage was done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a scenic view - becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/5/2013It's a scenic view - because you're inside the National Press Club and you get to see all the amazing photographs they have on the walls. I went with my sister and we had a fantastic time - the meal was excellent. We both had the steaks and they were cooked to perfection. The decore is a bit old-timey but it's part of the Press Club. But the food was just lovely and we met the chef!Special Features:
- We'll Be Back!credible1VIPDined on 11/23/2013Why go to a restaurant that can only please your palate when you can also dine in one that also serves up a a trip down a memory lane filled with the most famous folks from the fourth estate? On this special occasion with another couple who we like to impress we were served tasty dishes, well-prepared and presented in an intimate atmosphere. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked it very muchRallyDined on 11/23/2013First time we had dinner at this restaurant. The food was delicious - I had duck, my husband had crab cakes. Both was very good. The house wine is not bad at all. The service was excellent, high class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They made us feel very welcome,nicknameDined on 11/23/2013They made us feel very welcome, and we enjoyed coming back to dine on their fine food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehJBDinerDined on 11/23/2013It is very old fashioned in appearance. Not at all hip. Not very good for people watching, as it was mostly just old people and some families. The salads were excellent. The meals were very good, but not imaginative. When we first arrived, the host asked if we had any coupons or deals. I didn't. And I felt cheated from that moment forward.
- Worth visitingHungryDined on 11/23/2013This was my first visit and overall it was o.k. When ordering the duck, my guest asked if the duck was fatty. The waiter said that it was very lean. However, one order turned to be very lean and the other fatty. I mentioned this to the waiter and he informed the manager who didn't charge me for one of the duck orders which I thought was very nice of him to do. The spinach salad was great.Special Features:
- Fourth Estate for romantic dinnerRossDined on 11/22/2013We had the greatest time celebrating my girlfriend's 37th birthday at the Fourth Estate. The staff was excellent, the food was wonderful, and the ambiance is perfect for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked AwayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2013To our surprise, the Fourth Estate is tucked away in a corner of the 13th floor of the Press Club. We made our reservations based on location as we were going to a show at the National Theatre, and the menu looked good. The food was indeed good, as well as the service, but the atmosphere was a bit lacking. It was quiet, so good for conversation, but we were looking for something a bit livilier. Our group of four are in our 40s and we were the youngest table in the restaurant. Overall, a pleasant dining experience, just not what we were expecting.Special Features:
- Good with a Home Run dealdormouseDined on 11/13/2013Difficult to find, seems that you have to know where you are going and took us 10 mins to get to the right floor & location. No ambience, restaurant is in a corridor overlooking offices and photos. My entree - Texas steak salad and fried green tomatoes (not green) was delicious and well seasoned; bread & butter very nice (bit overbaked, more like toast) $20 My friend had the Jumbo Lump Crab cakes, good but presentation of the plate and the "corn torte" (slices of corn bread, not a torte or very appetizing) could use work. $29 Also, the portion size in comparison to mine was meagre and disappointing Toffee pudding had been microwaved, nice flavor but left half of it as solid unpleasant center. Not what I expected from a "chef"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/11/2013My husband and I were married at the press club and the food was one of the things that sold us on hosting our wedding there. Whether feeding 2 or 100, we have been impressed with the consistent quality of their food. They offer great vegetarian entrees too!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and ambienceColwnwDined on 11/9/2013A very good restaurant! And particularly interesting to out-of-towners....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't be betterOhioDinerDined on 11/7/2013I've been a fan of the Fourth Estate for more than 50 years and recommend it highly.Special Features:
- The restaurant has a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2013The restaurant has a great atmosphere and the food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/1/2013Hidden away in the National Press Club is this small and intimate gem. We celebrated our anniversary over lunch and the entire staff, Chef included, made us feel so special. Service was lovely and food delicious. Can't wait to go back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware if using a coupon!dining4serviceDined on 10/30/2013My wife and I went to this establishment this week on a Wednesday evening. When we arrived to went up to the restaurant and as soon as we got to the hostess/host the person asked us about our Travel Zoo voucher. After we confirmed that we had one, he looked at us as if we were lesser than, he continued to escort us to our table. Once we got to the table, he felt that it was necessary to explain the options from the voucher as if we didn't already know what was included as we bought it ourselves.At this point was offended at the lack of professionalism. I felt like I was treated differently because of the coupon.Special Features:
- ClassicCaptialHawkVIPDined on 10/29/2013Nice enjoyable meal in a true Washington setting- even saw a couple journalists there. Food was good, as was the service. I think this is a nice place for a quiet business meeting or a place to have a conversation with your date or partner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secret in D.C.JohnVIPDined on 10/26/2013Excellent food and service in a quiet, conversation-friendly environment.Special Features:
- Good food, no charmWandoDined on 10/25/2013Good food and service, not crowded, good service - upscale business type place. Good place to have a business meeting with a colleague since it is empty and the food is very good to excellent. BUT, even though the service is good too, the prices are not low, and it's just not worth an evening of your life - there is no charm and the presentation of the food is an attempt at elegance but misses the mark. The chef came out to say hi and she was very nice.
- DependablemarkpfDined on 10/24/2013I've been to the Fourth Estate many times, and I'm always pleased and impressed with the food - imaginative, tasty, and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It seemed somehow wrongTinaDined on 10/23/2013... to have lovely big hunks of steamed lobster meat in a grilled cheese sandwich (brie), especially to someone who regards eating a lobster as a once- or twice-in-a-year special treat, but I ordered the sandwich anyway and it was beyond heavenly. The service was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Pleasant Ambiance34dinnerDined on 10/21/2013Took my wife and son to the National Press Club for evening dinner during our son's visit to Washington. It was a memorable experience enhanced by all the photos of notables who visited the Press Club in the past. More than a meal; it's an experience.Special Features:
- DeliciousColl1984Dined on 10/19/2013We went here for my boy friends birthday, the food was fantastic. We shared the filet and crab cakes entrees, both were cooked perfect and there was barely and filler mostly crab in the crab cakes. The atmosphere was enjoyable knowing it had lots of famous visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The purpose of our diningKarenDined on 10/19/2013The purpose of our dining experience was to celebrate my husbands birthday, and we dined with our son, and his mother. Everything about the experience was excellent. The service and attention from the staff was great. The meals were fabulous both in presentation and quality. We used a certificate from Travel Zoo, which included an appetizer, entree, and glass of wine. The value for the dollar was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- voucherHalpVIPDined on 10/18/2013I would not return to this restaurant if I did not have another voucher. I will say that the crab cakes were outstanding.
- Good for business lunchTeeeVIPDined on 10/17/2013Many may not know the public is invited to use the Fourth estate. It is ideal for business lunches. Food is good. Service is superb and you can hear the conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location and historyShelleyBelleVIPDined on 10/12/2013I loved this restaurant. The menu and food were good, but I adored the history and private club feel of the dining experience. Food was classic fare made from fresh ingredients and nicely prepared. This would be a great place for a business dinner, meeting the in-laws or just feeling a little closer to all the culture and history of a city like D.C.Special Features:
- Fabulous Dining ExperienceDarganDined on 10/12/2013We went to the restaurant Saturday night for the first time to celebrate two birthdays. Entering the Fourth Estate restaurant we were pleasantly surprised by the sophisticated but not stuffy ambiance. Our server, Bisama, could not have been nicer or more attentive. He even brought us a sample of the African peanut soup before we ordered our appetizers which were delicious and beautifully presented. Our entrees were superb, and Bisama was correct when he said the crab cakes were the best around - two all jumbo lump crab cakes with little or no filler accompanied by jalepeno cornbread and a corn salsa with fresh avocado. The filet menu was one of the best I've ever eaten. Highly recommend this restaurant, and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Tradition paired perfectly w/ ClassAngee726VIPDined on 10/12/2013The food and service were absolutely wonderful. The ambiance and setting is classic Washington. We enjoyed a wonderful afternoon dining and exploring the Press Club.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- News-worthy DiningSteveDined on 10/11/2013The National Press Club is open to the public--who knew? We were a party of 8 attending a conference in Washington, and we were looking for a special place to wish a colleague farewell, and this was exactly the place to go! Entering the NPC is like stepping into the middle of Washington history, present and past. Pictures line the walls, many of them taken there, of historic notables. A photo of FDR and Churchill holding a press conference at our table reminded us of the real history of the place. While not overly ambitious, the menu was diverse and well-prepared. The wine list offered good, affordable options, too. Most noteworthy was the service, which was friendly and memorably personal. Overall, the prices were very reasonable!Special Features:
- Cool place, but thats about it.RajprasVIPDined on 10/10/2013It was fun sittign down to dinner in the press club. You feel like you are walking by live studios and there are lots of pictures to look at on the walls of famous people. But then you look around and realize there are only 5 other people in the restaurant. It feels a little stuffy since it is very quiet and everyone is dressed up. Other than that food was good and service was fine.Special Features:
- Great food, historic buildingTravelTVGuruDined on 10/5/2013The food was delicious. The building is historic and the ambiance is romantic. We went as a group of 8 foreign diplomat friends to have a welcome back dinner for a minister from a foreign country that had just returned to the US. The waiter scarcely came to our table; everytime we needed him, we were forced to flag him down. When we asked him to recommend anything from the menu, he simply stated that "everything was good" and wouldn't explain any of the dishes when we asked him to do so. At the end of our meal- we asked to separate the check 3 ways, and he refused to do so. The whole payment process was unnecessarily overcomplicated. We left the restaurant very flustered and annoyed.Special Features:
- Great place that almost nohappyVIPDined on 10/4/2013Great place that almost no one knows about. The food is some of the best prepared I've eaten in the area. The price is the best deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fourth Estate a WinnerBethesdaM1keDined on 9/28/2013My wife and I had an early dinner on Saturday night. We were very impressed with the restaurant. The setting was interesting, the food and service were great, and we found wine to our taste. Even the house pinot grigio and cabernet sauvignon were good. We will definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surpriseumpd1Dined on 9/27/2013Everything was exceptional at this restaurant. Food was beyond expectations and well prepared. Staff and facility were terrific. We went on Friday evening and there was not much of a crowd to our delight but it was surprising in view of the quality of the dining experience that the place was not packed.Special Features: