Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax
9984 Main Street
Fairfax, VA 22031Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dccurrymantra.com/
- Phone: 7032188128
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Adil / Surrender (North / South) Specialty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Catering for Birthdays, Weddings, Social Gatherings or Office Parties.
- Special Events: Closed on Thanksgiving.
A word from Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax
Experience our MANTRA (MAGIC) of making CURRIES. Enjoy Curries with Classic & Traditional decor. The Best of Fairfax.50 BEST RESTAURANT ( NORTHERN VIRGINIA MAGAZINE )Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax - Best Restaurants in Fairfax ›
Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (11)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)romantic (5)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Enjoyable, Casual DiningMindyDined on 2/15/2014My husband and I love indian food. This was not the best we've had in the area, but it was very good. We noticed some of the dishes seemed spicier than we are used to, which we liked, but I thought it worth noting. The restaurant is small so it's a bit crowded, but once seated we were quite comfortable. The live music was nice too, but between the size and the music it was more of a lively, fun atmosphere than a quiet, calm one. We didn't have our kids with us, but I think it would be a good family restaurant because it's relatively casual and with the noise if the kids are a little rambunctious it wouldn't be too noticeable.Special Features:
- Very good find in a randomDCfoodloverDined on 2/15/2014Very good find in a random strip mall. Top notch food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb FindAv8tor14Dined on 2/15/2014This was our first visit to Curry Mantra. Incredible food and extremely professional wait staff. Look forward to going back. Tremendous find for a tucked-away, suburban restaurant.Special Features:
- For Indian food loversAlanysprDined on 2/14/2014Everything from the service to the quality of food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fairfax Spotoccasional1splurgeDined on 2/14/2014We have been to Curry Mantra twice and ordered from there numerous times. It is a great spot for some really good Indian food. This last trip I had the Goat Curry, which I don't recommend, but the Chicken Tikka is phenomenal and other food there is great too. The appetizers we have had have been great and authentic too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good service...on Valentine's!TangowoodVIPDined on 2/14/2014Even though it was Valentine's Day and every table was full, the restaurant still managed to deliver good service. And the food, as usual, was absolutely wonderful!Special Features:
- Good selections at moderate costOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We visited here for a Valentine's Day treat. Although we were a bit late (10 minutes) for our reservation we were quickly seated and given a menu. The wait for dinner was longer than we expected, but, hey, it was Valentine's Day and virtually every table was occupied. The meal itself was very good, comprising a broad selection of curries and condiments with a very good quality Basmati rice. All in all it was a nice outing, and a night to remember.Special Features:
- Great food; slow service this timeDaveDined on 2/14/2014This experience was quite unusual for Curry Mantra. We've been there many times, and this was the first disappointment. The food was excellent as always... but they seemed unprepared for the crowd that came on Valentine's Day. Short-handed maybe? We were seated promptly (as we had reservations), but it was about fifteen minutes before we got menus and papadums. (They were probably low on them; instead of the usual two we got one, pre-broken in half.) It was also many minutes after we put down the menus, before the waitress took our order. They were nearly out of shrimp so we had to change our order. That all said, the food arrived fairly quickly, and was delicious. I will definitely go again many times, but try to avoid very busy times.Special Features:
- Nice Evening out ...DinoDined on 2/14/2014Visited Curry Mantra on Valentines day, it was a nice meal. The food is always good and plentiful. Good service, good food and a relaxing meal. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day SurpriseNickSmithPubDined on 2/14/2014I surprised my fiance with a reservation at Curry Mantra for Valentine's Day. It was an overwhelming success. This was her first time dining at Curry Mantra and my third or fourth. The service was impeccable as always, the food was outstanding, and the overall dining experience was wonderful. My fiance later admitted she had a very bad experience with Indian cuisine when she was in high school (it was way too spicy and none of it was appetizing). She was worried Curry Mantra would be the same but she said she trusted me and went into it with as open of a mind as possible. She said she left Curry Mantra that night with a completely different outlook on Indian Cuisine! Curry Mantra is now on our Top 5 favorite restaurant list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodbreakfastloverVIPDined on 2/8/2014Curry Mantra is our "go-to" restaurant for Indian cuisine. The food is Excellent every time and the service is always friendly, warm, and welcoming. The only thing that detracts from the dining room expeirence is that the live music is just a little bit too loud. Otherwise, absolutely no complaint. I recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerGaloDined on 1/24/2014Food was excellent. Packed in a corner next a large table of people with staff constantly running back and forth between my table and that one. Could hardly raise my arm to eat without someone running into it. And had noted was a special occasion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST Indian Restaurant in townbreakfastloverVIPDined on 1/18/2014Attentive and knowledgeable service; excellent cuisineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!MDTravlinDined on 1/4/2014We always have a wonderfully spicy meal here! Everyone is friendly and the decor is vibrant and energizing.Special Features:
- Best Indian food in Fairfax!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/3/2014We drive by several other Indian restaurants to come to our favorite. There are three Curry Mantras, and they are all great, but #1 is our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCeleDined on 12/31/2013I tried Tandoori salmon and found it beautifully seasoned and delightfully moist. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been to this restaurantffxdinerVIPDined on 12/27/2013I've been to this restaurant several times. The food is consistently good. It's esp. nice to be there when they have the live music. This time I had the chicken tikka masala which was delicious. My husband had a vegetarian entree which he raved about. Our one disappointment was the shahi naan (bread). I had 2 pieces & neither piece had the raisans & nuts in them. Plus the naan tasted as if it were stuffed with coconut. It was not at all like we've had before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's no RasikaicanhazfilomenaVIPDined on 12/20/2013but it's good. Expensive for what it is though, paid around $55 (not including tip) for a meal we felt was worth $38. Great service, pretty little restaurant. The only gripe is with the price.
- Wonderful place!!!! We alwaysAnyaDined on 12/19/2013Wonderful place!!!! We always have delicious and memorable meals here!Special Features:
- DO NOT MISS THIS RESTAURANT!!!ShayprilVIPDined on 12/14/2013It is some of the BEST indian food we've ever had - amazing service at every turn from the moment you touch the door handle to the moment you leave again. We'll go back a thousand times - SO SO GREAT! THANK YOU!Special Features:
- Love curry mantra!Bless4Dined on 11/15/2013I dream about their tandoori chicken. I think I could eat it every day. Nice decor, attentive service. Manager spent time explaining a couple menu items. Don't let the humble location fool you! This is a great restaurant. My husband had a curry fish that was delicious too. I even like their unusual ice tea.Special Features:
- Excellent Food!JeffDined on 11/11/2013Best curry I've eaten in a long time...probably since I visited India 10 years ago. We had the Vindalloo and the Butter Chicken curries. Both outstanding. The naan bread was very good as well. We are already planning a return trip...this time with some friends. Thanks for the military discount!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place for Indian FoodJohnDined on 11/8/2013Curry Mantra 1 has earned top billing in our Indian food quest. Always delightfully detailed meals. Kali Murch Chicken is my favorite ( and not found elsewhere). Saagwalla is rich and fresh. Crispy naan. We were told this evening that the menu is different at each of the three Curry Mantra locations - thus far we are completely satisfied at Number 1.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently OutstandingamiesVIPDined on 10/29/2013Curry Mantra 1 consistently delivers great food and service. We have been dining here since it opened and have always been delighted with our experience. If you like tandoori Salmon look no further. The desserts are wonderful too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!pickyeaterDined on 10/26/2013Six of us celebrated a birthday dinner: 3 vegetarians and 3 meat eaters. We ordered 2 different appetizers and were sent two from the manager, which provided a delicious sampling. My husband, who had been reluctant about eating Indian food, said he got the best wings he'd ever eaten! Plus, he said his lamb was delicious. The saag paneer was flavorful with just the right amount spice. I can't remember the names of all six dishes we ordered but no one was disappointed with our meals or service, and most of us had enough leftover for a weekday lunch, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am a huge fan of butterjmnoDined on 10/25/2013I am a huge fan of butter chicken and Curry Mantra has the best butter chicken, hands down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodNattyGirl314Dined on 10/19/2013This was my second time at this restaurant and I was very happy with the food and service again. There is great variety to the menu, and the six other people who joined me for dinner thoroughly enjoyed their dishes as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- been to the best in DC...suzyDined on 10/5/2013Curry Mantra is as good as any! We have been going to this restaurant since it opened. We are also DC Foodies so we also have visited the best Indian restaurants there. We always come back to Curry Mantra. The food is authentic and just plain awesome. The lunch buffets, especially on the weekends, are delicious with plenty of both vegetarian and meat options. The tandoori chicken is very tender and without the red dye that you often see at other restaurants. I love their goat curry, the goat biryani, the paneer saag, and well just everything! The naan is freshly made and brought to your table nice and hot. This restaurant will satisfy the savvy as well as the those new to Indian cuisine. There is something for everyone.Special Features:
- Always great food and serviceTBsMomVIPDined on 9/27/2013This is our go to Indian restaurant in NOVA. The nice Indian music on Satuday nights is a plus (quiet, wind instruments, light drums, etc...). The hostest is always polite and quick to offer good service. The food is awesome. Highly recommend thier ice cream to end the meal.Special Features:
- Standard Indian FareOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2013We tried a few different courses at Curry Mantra and overall, it was slightly above average Indian Fare. The service was fairly average and it took a few minutes for the server to actually introduce himself. His first question was "ready to order?" Which usually means you have been waiting too long. He did not mention any specials or signature dishes. The first course was the samosas, which were small, dry inside, and not crispy. Tandoori mixed grill was good, except for lamb was very chewy. Chicken Vindaloo was not very spicy and lacked depth of flavor. Mango lassi was not mixed well. Gulab Jamun was best item we had. Decor was lacking, uncomfortable furniture, no privacy. Many other superior Indian restaurants in DC area.
- Food was first rate. HostessJohnDined on 9/21/2013Food was first rate. Hostess was charming, as was the server. Service in general was fine. The menu is extensive and they are very flexible in trying to provide the level of heat you want. This is a very good place - we have been three times and will continue to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PleasureSeptemberVIPDined on 9/21/2013The food and service at Curry Mantra are always excellent. When we dined this time there was live music, which added to the experience. Portions are overly generous and parking is a breeze.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife and I had a great dateJoemanglerDined on 9/20/2013I love going on Friday and Saturday nights when they have live music. I feel that they have a special touch with veggie dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/15/2013Food was quite good, with lots of variety for everyone from the novice to experienced Indian foodie. While the food came out in a reasonable time, it took forever to have the plates cleared and the bill presented.Special Features:
- Best Indian food, poor serviceTangowoodVIPDined on 9/11/2013This is the best Indian restaurant in or around Fairfax, including delicious menu items not found elsewhere. But, again, poor service. For drinks and food, several people can't help but tell us, "I'll send your server," while we wait and wait with only water. Bread ordered "as soon as it's ready, don't wait for the entrees," doesn't come until the entrees -- one of which is completely wrong, so we wait and wait again. Perhaps the owner, busy opening Curry Mantra II and III, has forgotten about No. 1?Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentbreakfastloverVIPDined on 9/6/2013Curry Mantra consistently serves delicious Indian dishes that are fresh and tasty. It is one of our favorites. But on our last visit, the flute player was sort of loud and it was hard to have a conversation. Maybe take the flute off the amplifier?Special Features:
- Had a good dinner. My husbandffxdinerVIPDined on 8/14/2013Had a good dinner. My husband & I had 2 of the vegetarian entrees plus an order of the garlic naan. All were very good. My husband's dish came with many small bowls of different dishes & a piece of a type of bread. He didn't know what was the right way to eat it. It would have helped to receive some directions from the wait staff. He tried each separately & then just decided to mix them together saying it was very delicious that way. We've always had good food at Curry Mantra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goat Vindaloo!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2013Took a woman to Curry Mantra who did live in India for a few years growing up. She was very impressed by the service, atmosphere, and the quality of the food. It was her birthday, and they brought out a special chilled rice/cashew pudding. Goat Vindaloo was amazing, the Naan was great, and the Tikka Chicken even had the skewer holes from the Tandoor. (the real deal) we'll definately be going back.Special Features:
- not as good as it used to beBrendaVIPDined on 8/3/2013This used to be a great restaurant, with delightfully fresh and interesting food. The food is now bland and overly creamy. What happened!
- Dependably good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2013We have dined here many times and never been disappointed. The food is really delicious.Special Features: