The Arrogant Butcher
2 E. Jefferson Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Arrogant Butcher
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.foxrc.com/
- Phone: 6023248502
- Hours of Operation:
Mon – Thu 11am - 9pm
Fri 11am - 10pm
Sat 12pm - 10pm
Dinner 4pm - 10pm
Mon – Sat 3pm - 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Claspill
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: During Saturday Brunch we will feature a DJ.
A word from The Arrogant Butcher
Already an iconic downtown Phoenix landmark, the bar at The Arrogant Butcher is one of the only places where sports fans and theater-goers can enjoy a burger and a beer next to some of Arizona’s top politicians. Behind the drawn curtains of the three private dining rooms, one may find bachelorettes toasting former freedoms, important legislation being discussed, or pre-concert parties warming up for the night’s big event. The Arrogant Butcher offers you the best of everything – seafood, steaks, draft beer, wine and cocktails, comfort food and good company. So if you’re looking for downtown’s only place to be seen, look no further than the corner of Jefferson and 1st.Continued
Look no further than the Arrogant Butcher.
Look no further than the Arrogant Butcher.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Arrogant Butcher - Best Restaurants in Phoenix ›
The Arrogant Butcher reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)good for groups (47)hot spot (47)vibrant bar scene (47)great for lunch (46)neighborhood gem (45)special occasion (29)late-night find (23)great for outdoor dining (19)notable wine list (11)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (5)romantic (4)Show More
- Very good, overall; just aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2011Very good, overall; just a bit noisy--having a normal conversation was a challenge.Special Features:
- The restaurant had great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/1/2011The restaurant had great ambiance and the food was great; however, the waiter took forever to bring our bill.Special Features:
- Great location next to theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/1/2011Great location next to the US Airways Center. Didn't care for the very limited menu unusual menu. Food was good once I completely changed a menu item to be somewhat normal. Great ambience & service but overpriced.Special Features:
- It was nice to have the reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/1/2011It was nice to have the reservation and we got right in. Friday is the day we do not bring lunch. We enjoyed the different food, although a little pricy for us it wasn't that bad for a special occasion in comparison to what is around. It would not be something we would go to every day as we usually bring our lunch. If we could afford it we probably would.Special Features:
- YEEHAAAA!YayaDined on 3/31/2011Excellent all around, the wait staff was awesome....the good incredible.Special Features:
- You could do worseOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/31/2011Average food, friendly service, nice beer selection, a nice,fun option in a sleepy downtown.
- Although the downtown PhoenixOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/31/2011Although the downtown Phoenix location promised a fun, energetic environment, the quality of the food was unacceptable...the skirt steak was served cool, undercooked, and very tough, and the sides were nothing special. Dinner was also brought to the table only moments after the appetizer arrived. A big miss for me.
- Ordered the prime rib special.movingonVIPDined on 3/30/2011Ordered the prime rib special. Asked for it to be cooked medium. Arrived at table very rare. Returned, but still rare. Taste-worst prime rib I have ever had. I will not return to this restaurant.
- Great (pricey) lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2011The menu is great! Very filling and flavorful salads. The service is great--the servers are very friendly and helpful in making recommendations. A little pricey for an everyday experience but the food makes you want to keep coming back.Special Features:
- Wow, fantastic food, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/28/2011Wow, fantastic food, great atmosphere! I will be back!Special Features:
- We arrived on the eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2011We arrived on the evening of the Lady Gaga concert, and we got seated around 8pm (30 minutes behind our 7:30pm reservation time). While we waited for our table, we hit the bar to get a drink and had a heck of a time getting anyone's attention to get a cocktail. Once seated, our service was great, and the food came out quickly. Food quality is great, but not what I would call excellent. Overall, we might of had a better experience on a less busy night - but we will come back again.Special Features:
- we really enjoyed our dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/26/2011we really enjoyed our dinner. will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful time. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/26/2011Had a wonderful time. Our server was a gem, helpful, knowledgeable. The food was outstanding. The pretzels & cheese fondue were a fun/delicious way to begin the meal.Special Features:
- What one should expect fromOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/25/2011What one should expect from Fox RC. Nothing inspired on the food menu, no highly skilled chefs blowing us away with unique tastes and preparations. This is a corporate restaurant, where the drink service is tight, the food good but uninspired and the service (too) present and (too) highly efficient. The objective is to get you through the system and seat the next 4 top with a formula that keeps you just happy enough when you leave. This is great for the power lunch crowd and the downtown "events" sport fans and conventior goers but this won't work for the foody/hipster crowd they hope to draw by evening.Special Features:
- service was terrific, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/25/2011service was terrific, food was great, good options available.Special Features:
- I have frequented many FoxOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/25/2011I have frequented many Fox restaurants and always find the food to be consistently good. Arrogant Butcher, however, was outstanding. I had the scallops with beans and arugula. The flavor was amazing. Each item was cooked and seasoned perfectly. My husband had the sweet potato tortellini. OMG!! Only negative was the server was a bit intrusive and patronizing. She meant well, but felt the need to over explain everything. Why tell a patron how to read the menu? I'm pretty good at reading. I think the guy that brought the wine had the same opinion. While she over-explained the chopped salad, he commented "It's usually eaten with a fork". We laughed about that for a good 5 minutes.Special Features:
- Sam Fox does it again! everythingandiDined on 3/25/2011Sam Fox does it again! everything here works - food, decor, menu choices, location. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- We'll avoid Thursday next timePHXfinedinerVIPDined on 3/24/2011My expectations were high on this, my second visit to The Arrogant Butcher. Everything was good but really not all that memorable. We had come specifically for the Thursday fried chicken special and I will say that it satisfied but didn't delight. The chicken wasn't moist enough to have been cooked to order and it arrived about five minutes after we ordered suggesting to me that it had been not only prepped but also cooked in advance. I think that's why it was too dry. We also ordered a kale & cauliflower salad with Marcona almonds and it was quite delish. It arrived seperately and just after the chicken indicating the kitchen wasn't exactly in synch on our order...but we were fine with that. The waiter was okay but too pushy.Special Features:
- Took a first date here. ForOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2011Took a first date here. For being across from the basketball arena, the outside seating was better than expected. Food is great with a small menu that covers a broadrange of fair. Would go back with hesitation.Special Features:
- The food was good to excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/23/2011The food was good to excellent. The service was a little disappointing. I can understand when it is a full house & the service can't keep up with the orders. But unfortunately, our server kept forgetting our request for more wine & at the end of the night he got everyone's coffee except for the decaf. . .which then he said they already threw it out & we would have to wait for a fresh pot. There was no communication between the staff & kitchen.Special Features:
- The food and drinks were fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/19/2011The food and drinks were fantastic. I had the chicken stuffed with crab and the skinny raspberry mojito. The mojito was amazing, not too sweet. The chicken was moist and I could really taste the crab stuffing.Special Features:
- This was my first time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/19/2011This was my first time dining at the Arrogant Butcher. My husband and I thought we would give it a try as our date night! It was a fun place; however towards the end of our dinner it got extremely busy and loud. Along with that, came so many workers and guests walking past our table. It seemed like a zoo! The service was good but nothing more than good. The food came out way too fast. We were not even done with our appetizers. We seemed rushed and that is not a place that you want to be rushed - the prices are high and we wanted to relax and have a few drinks/cocktails. We assumed they wanted to turn tables fast. Probably would not go back -maybe for a special event. Not a kid-friendly place. Won't get out of there for under $80.Special Features:
- strange inedible sides. ChargeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/18/2011strange inedible sides. Charge for bread. Needs workSpecial Features:
- Great Pre-Game DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/18/2011The whole experience was very good. The restauant has a hip, urban vibe. Great for dinner before going to a game.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2011I had the gnocchi, beet salad, and the potato fritters! Yummy!!!Special Features:
- The restaurant was good food,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/17/2011The restaurant was good food, but it is not a steak house like I thought it was going to be.
- First time to the restaurant.Jfp3Dined on 3/17/2011First time to the restaurant. Loved the ambiance and there were so many great items on the menu that our party of four had trouble making a decision. The service was great and the food was fantastic. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Drinks before dinner wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2011Drinks before dinner were fine. Meals were good, but not spectacular. I had the crab louie and was quite frankly looking for " the louie ". Suspect it was applied by the teaspoon and that was it. The chocolate cake dessert was run of the mill. Nice location, but frankly expected much better food.
- The meal and restaurant wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2011The meal and restaurant were outstanding....I've already been back multiple times and will keep going back. Definitely try it!Special Features:
- Great Service/Boring MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/12/2011Service was excellent and the environment was energetic. There is an open kitchen which was interesting to watch. Aside from a few items that stood out, the menu was not that interesting and there was very little to choose from. The "raw bar" was very limited and the food was a bit average, similar to what you would find at a slightly up-scale chain restaurant. Overall, it is a great place to grab a drink before going to the stadium but the food was a bit flat.Special Features:
- Had a reservation but hadMartieVIPDined on 3/12/2011Had a reservation but had to wait for 30 minutes for a table. food interesting but not outstanding. 5 of our party received entre's at the same time but 1 person didn't get food for 5+ minutes after everyone else. waiter still in learning mode. atmosphere fun and energetic. Overall, staff seemed interested but not quite together.
- This may be because this aKTDDDVIPDined on 3/12/2011This may be because this a new restaurant, however, we are used to FOX restaurants making sure the kick off is flawless and staff is trained well. It took a long time to get our inital cocktails and then the appetizers were not served together so part of the party had to wait. We also experienced servers trying serve items we had not ordered. The Food was OK overall, some better that others, but a disappointment from the expected.
- ARROGANT BUTCHER is neitherOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/12/2011Arrogant Butcher is neither Arrogant nor a Good Butcher. It only has two meat dishes and its only claim to fame is its great location. The name Arrogant implies really strongly powerful in its class but the product is only average I came expecting a good steak house and found a Sports Bar with a great location. The name is misleading The rib eye steak I had was however a good steak. Average by steakhouse standards but hit the Steak spot nevertheless. I didn't leave hungry The rock shrimp appetizer with fried chiles were excellent as an appetizer The hostesses were extremely nice as wellSpecial Features:
- The Arrogant Butcher has potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/12/2011The Arrogant Butcher has potential to be a great restaurant once they work out their kinks. The hostess desk needs some work, the two young women working the desk seemed confused and disorganized. Our waiter, however, was very knowledgeable about the menu and made some great suggestions. Unfortunately we were seated in the back room of the restaurant (there were just three of us)in the section reserved for large groups, so we were surrounded by 4 tables of 8 - 10 people each, so our waiter was stretched thin. We ordered espresso at the end of the evening, after 30 minutes of waiting we told the waiter to cancel them. All in all, I would return again, and look forward to seeing improvements. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Yes, It is THAT Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2011Everything, and I do mean, everything was fantastic! From the smiling friendly host greeting, to the professional yet, down-to-earth server, to the amazing ambience. Our food was out of this world good...!!! The Arrogant Butcher surpassed our wildest expectations! Even our 5 Year Old LOVED it here!Special Features:
- Food is good, but 30% overpriced,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2011Food is good, but 30% overpriced, or at these prices, food should be better. Service is good, but bringing a bottle of wine pre-opened to your table is unacceptable. I love the setting and the ambiance. I would return if I lived in the neighborhood, but it is not worth the 20 mile drive for me.
- A Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2011With our reservations, we were seated immediately. The interior was fun & upbeat and the staff was very friendly. For appetizers, we oredered the Bentons Smoky Mountain Ham which was very good but salty and we would have liked more than 2 slices of bread. Our cheese was the Cypress Grove Lamb Chopper which was excellent but a very small portion. Our favorite appetizer though was the soft pretzels and provolone fondue, (very adicting). Our party ordered the jambalaya, which was spicy but great, the fish and chips which were fresh and tasty, the skirt steak that was tender and flavorful, and the main lobster cioppino which everyone agreed that the dish that would bring us back. We voted the apple fritters the #1 dessert. A great meal for all!Special Features:
- This was my third visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2011This was my third visit to the Arrogant Butcher in four days. That in it self should tell you that I was impressed with it. Food outstanding, service was excellent. We had tickets for the opera and were on a tight schedule. Our server was most helpful to see that we were served and out in plenty of time. We will be back. Bill ParkerSpecial Features:
- Still getting the kinks outAZLollyVIPDined on 3/11/2011Arrogant Butcher is the king of downtown which is why I've eaten there three times in two weeks. However there are definite problems in the kitchen from perfect food to undercooked crab cakes, side salads swimming in dressing, to totally undercooked pork shanks that had to be pulled off the menu for the night since they weren't prepped right. Their vacant doll hostesses are also not an asset and they are totally unaware of any special requests through open table until they read your reservation when you walk through the door. Of the six guests we've had, three will return. I still rate them very good because what they do well is far and above most in the valley.Special Features:
- Interesting food choices,WallyBDined on 3/11/2011Interesting food choices, lively scene, WIDE age range, fun!Special Features: