The Front Porch - San Francisco
65 A 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Front Porch - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefrontporchsf.com/
- Phone: 4156957800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday-Thursday: 5:30 PM-10:30 PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:30 PM-11 PM
Sunday: 5:00 PM-10:00 PM
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 PM - 10:30 PM, Friday & Saturday
5:30 PM- 11 PM Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Matt Marcus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: For all of you who hate waiting out in the cold for our delicious fried chicken the front porch has just bought you a cozy new neighborhood bar across the street called Rock Bar(as in geological rocks you'll see what I mean) where you can get a great cocktail before dinner & after dessert. Rumor has it there may be a midnight fried chicken window with a get it til it's gone type of supply and demand in the works!Plus there will be some front porch signature snacks to hold you over or up.
- Special Events: 9/9/ @ 9 pm The front porch will be having a viewing party for our showcase on food networks diners, drive-ins and dives. Porch concession stand will be available after 9pm and last dinner reservation will be at 7:30.
9/16/13 The front porch turns lucky number 7. We will be closed for regular dinner service, but 20 bucks gets you a big plate of food and some fun entertainment.
A word from The Front Porch - San Francisco
Come rock out on the porch and enjoy some southern mission hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Front Porch - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (86)fit for foodies (59)great for brunch (39)great for outdoor dining (33)hot spot (28)late-night find (25)good for groups (25)special occasion (21)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (16)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (5)Show More
- so gooood!colioDined on 2/3/2014One of my go to places! Fried Chicken is obviously great. Short Ribs are some of the best ever. My fiance actually craves their Shrimp and Grits with its red gravy. All around good SF restaurant and we will always come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, strange patronageSfadamVIPDined on 2/3/2014Food was pretty great, if a little rich. However, the other patrons of the place appeared to have been culled from a Phish show parking lot. Service was swift and nice. But I had mentioned on our reservation request that we were celebrating a wedding anniversary. No mention of the celebration was made by the hostess or waitstaff, and our table was square in the middle of the restaurant where people would whiz by constantly. Again, great food, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're up for the most casual of dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Front Porch never disappoints.ApesMSVIPDined on 2/1/2014My boyfriend and I try to get to the Front Porch at least once every couple of months. We love the fried chicken bucket as well as the deviled eggs and fried pickles. The fried chicken is always so tasty and there is always leftovers for the next day which is a plus. I suggest if you have a fried chicken craving or just looking some great southern food, Front Porch is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as alwaysteofeatherladyDined on 1/31/2014We hadn't been in for quite some time but I needed some okra and fried chicken. Everything was as wonderful as we remembered it. Consistency is so important to remain alive in San Francisco's dining scene. Our cocktails were great and our daughter (a foodie herself) thought the dessert was the best she had ever had and posted it on Facebook as such. Thanks and it won't be so long before we return.Special Features:
- Good soul food!soulfoodieDined on 1/31/2014This place is a pretty happening spot. I do not recommend trying to come here on a Friday night without a reservation. Food is awesome here, but I suggest you really pace yourself. They give you really good portions. You can split a bucket between four people, and you will all go home super full. An individual plate of fried chicken will have you going home with leftovers. The date-wrapped in bacon and goat cheese is so delightful! I do love this place, but it is a little more pricier than your usual soul-food joints. Noise level is also on the really loud side. Intimate conversations will be a screaming match, even when you're not angry. Still a good spot for really good food. If you want more than KFC.Special Features:
- Fried Chicken and Shrimp n GritsCLynneDined on 1/31/2014OMG... The food was excellent.. the mac n cheese was perfection as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The manager was extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/30/2014The manager was extremely rude when I asked him why I had to pay gratuity for 2year old that I didn't order food for and he had a rude attitude. I was visiting from out of state and I had a bad experience. I will never visit this place again and the food wasn't even that good.
- A Neighborhood FindHollyODined on 1/27/2014The menu has some unique offerings with southern influence - fried okra with jalapeño aioli, celery root purée, bacon wrapped dates, collard greens, dr. Pepper braised short ribs. All were enjoyable. The jalapeño aioli and roasted red pepper risotto were a little flat, but the dates and celery root purée made up for it. The Front Porch is a great neighborhood find within walking distance. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!!! Non-greasy soul food....OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/22/2014Non-greasy soul food....sounds contridictory BUT they pull it off. Excellant food...recommend everything except the chicken. Too funny....who orders southern and doesn't order the chicken? That's my recommendation. Chicken looks beautiful, but no flavor. Try the duck instead...Wonderful, the greens...the sweet potato gratin, the fried okra, the stuffed dates....ALL Mouth-Watering Wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good frickin' chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/18/2014Got the bucket of chicken to share with some friends plus every side. The chicken was not only juicy but super flavorful! All of the sides were also amazing. Also, super friendly service!Special Features:
- Very Good Comfort FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/18/2014Everything was very good.The fried chicken was great!!..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dessertsdoguDined on 1/16/2014We had a very nice evening at The Front Porch. Starters and mains where good, but not fantastic. Desserts where outstanding. Unfortunately only one vegetarian/ vegan meal on the menu.
- Totally Authentic Dixiefied NomsWabbitDined on 1/13/2014Having grew up in the South I tend to suspect anyone offering Southern food - not an issue here! I was surprised at the fried okra being whole instead of sliced but it was delicious. The well boiled, salted peanuts took me back home instantly. The pulled pork was rich & tender: serving it in tacos was a fun twist. I found the fried chicken crispy but, I confess, a mite bland. There were sauces that made up for it. The burgers are astounding. Topping it off was excellent all-hands style service from a friendly staff and great cocktails. Madeira for dessert always makes my evening! I've been here twice and it has been tasty. Previously I've also enjoyed the vegan plate (deliciously filling and delightfully smokey) & the fried dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excited about fried chicken???OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014YES! Get the bucket, you won't regret it, if you don't finish it, you will absolutely enjoy it tomorrow. Mac and cheese is awesome. I had asparagus one time but I guess they change the menu up occasionally, so I was saddened they didn't have it when I went back. Take your friends, they will thank you! They own the Rock Bar across the street too, if you get to the restaurant early or want to stay up late, you can hang out there, cool vibe, and great bartenders.Special Features:
- Boss Southern foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/8/2014This was for our anniversary, so we didn't really care about price, overall it was amazing food, great atmosphere and pretty good service, not too expensive either, would highly recommend the front porch to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was only OK and serviceybrob24VIPDined on 1/4/2014Food was only OK and service a bit abrupt. Menu reads well but mostly felt a bit oversalted and bland. The mac and cheese and the fried pickles were excellent but was pretty disappointed in the fried chicken.
- Yum yum yummoSweets80babyDined on 1/4/2014Was dying to try and well worth the wait. Well sort of-ordered the bucket of chicken and were told it Woukd take 20in bc it was a busy night. 40 min later-we say waiting. Our waitor didn't check in-in fact two other waitors checked in on us and were much more pleasant to deal with. When out waitor did make an appearance my boyfriend asked how the chicken was coming along. Our server seemed annoyed by our question (and by us period). He told us "it takes at least 20 min" and walked off. Boo. Once the food was ready we were served by another staff member. I wish I got names! Aside from the wait and the not so happy server, the food is AMAZING! Chicken! Mac n cheese! YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a last minute reservationmariorodiDined on 12/31/2013This was a last minute reservation on New Years Eve and we were pleasantly surprised. Parking wasn't difficult to find and the staff was warm and welcoming. Food was very good and fresh. We will go there again some day for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My birthday dinner1HappyHappyJoyJoyManDined on 12/30/2013I LOVE THE FRONT PORCH!! That night was my birthday, and the restaurant made it special. I brought one of my closest friends who'd never eaten there and he loved it! We had the arugula salad, the dr. pepper beef loin, the cajun risotto meatballs, the fried chicken, red beans and rice with andouille sausage, the mac -n- cheese, and washed it all down with a few Scrimshaw's. We ate like Vikings and LOVED EVERYTHING!! Our waitress Tara, was excellent, and has a very nice personality. The Front Porch is home.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for basic comfort foodLauraDined on 12/27/2013Saw the restaurant on diners, drive-ins and dives and was very excited to try it on our yearly Xmas trip. We tried all the highlighted specialties and expected Wow but got ok on the food although the fried pickles were killer. Ambiance and service were fun but in such a foodie city there are cheaper places with delish food and great vibes.
- I ordered the 4 piece chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013I ordered the 4 piece chicken plate. The most moist chicken I have ever had. The greens were also good. The service was attentive & quick. I look forward to returning to try something else on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Front Porch HolidayBryAnteaterDined on 12/24/2013We went to The Front Porch on Christmas Eve, and had a thoroughly enjoyable night. An early reservation was available, thanks in part I believe, to the Holiday season, and we were seated promptly, with a choice of front or back. The drink service is professional, and engaging, yet the recognition that we were also ready to order didn't make for an unnecessary delay. We tried the Deviled eggs, fried chicken and a burger, along w/a Bulliet Rye Manhattan, and loved everything! The cajun, creole theme is infused, yet not overdone, the food is homey not fancy, and still elevated from rustic. Good mix of locals, family, single diners(bar is great seating too), including a patio which was in use even on Christmas eve!Special Features:
- Yummy fried chicken!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/20/2013Wow, fried chicken was great! Meat was not dry at all! I've been to other resturants, and they're not as great as this one! The temperature in this restuaurant was really warm. Tables were small, so we had to put our winter coats in our cars.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceChaosCohenDined on 12/18/2013Always a great place. Keep an eye out for the pork chop, menu changes regularly and if you see it, go for it! Delicious.Special Features:
- Great food at hidden gemCmleczkoVIPDined on 12/15/2013The folks here were super helpful with our reservation for 15 folks (1/2 of them kids) even though the place is small, we were able to work out something for our group. The food was very good, we all liked everything we tried and a few of us had things we had never had before. If you are coming here, bring your appetite, especially if you're getting the chicken & waffles as it's a lot of food but sooooooo yummy! Chicken was perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I could eat it again and again and again! The only downfall is parking on a weekend is very scarce but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festive and noisyElsieVIPDined on 12/13/2013There were two parts to our experience; the disappointing first, when they told us we could not be seated at our reserved time because the people before us were still hanging out and sent us to their bar across the street without suggesting any accomdoation for the inconvenience (even an offer to buy a single drink would have been nice). Then part two, once we were finally seated and our nice waiter moved us smoothly through a good dinner. Reasonable priced for a big dinner too. Wine list needs work though, Sancerre was crummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Front PorchPatEDined on 12/8/2013We had a great dinner! Excellent, friendly service and wonderful food. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a comfortable dinner with great Southern cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite!AimeeVIPDined on 11/30/2013In addition to warm and cozy atmosphere, fab cocktails, and incredibly yummy food, the folks at FP are incredibly friendly and attentive. After probably a dozen or more visits, we had a consistently great time and left tipsy and well fed...thank you!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWSOME!FRANK32Dined on 11/27/2013THE FOOD WAS AMAZING,THE SERVICE WAS AMAZING,THE OWNER/MANAGER GAVE HIS TOTAL ATTENTION TO ME A ND MY WIFE.CAN"T WAIT TO COME BACK AGAIN.WILL AND ALREADY RECOMENDED YOU TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY! DON"T CHANGE A THING THERE. MAN THE SHORT RIBS AND MAC AND CHEESE TO DIE FOR......Special Features:
- Blown Away1GoldenLadyDined on 11/27/2013A quaint spot with a neighborhood feel, we found The Front Porch to be comfortable and inviting from the moment we walked in. We started with gumbo and fried okra both were uniquely prepared but big on flavor and big enough to share. I had the most amazing shrimp and grits (seriously, amazing!) I've had probably ever. The grits were truly creamy and delicious all by themselves. Hubby had the 4 piece chicken with collards and mac n cheese. WOW! We couldn't believe how tender, juicy and flavorful it was. Dessert was the apple crumble and pecan pie both were out of this world! Overall our meal was OUTSTANDING and the service matched! Kenny, our waiter was friendly, knowledgeable and there when we needed him. Hats off Front Porch, keep it up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with DadDinnerwithDadVIPDined on 11/24/2013My dad grew up in the south and loves Fried Chicken. He was impressed with your fried chicken because it was crispy yet moist and cooked through. He personally would have liked more hammock in his greens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, reliable and tastyJudahDined on 11/14/2013We came here on a Thursday night for my wife's bday with our 3 y/o and had a great meal. The ambiance is very cozy, if not a bit dark. Staff is very friendly, attentive and helpful, with that family-feel. The food, mmm, fried okra and pickles were just right, some places have too much batter, these guys do it right. My daughter loved the Mac n cheese which came, sizzling, in a cast iron skillet. We also had collards and mashed potatoes which were both very good. The star of our meal was the bucket of fried chicken we shared. I don't usually like chicken, at all, but the fried chicken at this place is so good, tender and garlicky and crunchy. I hear dessert is good too but we were stuffed. Overall, a solid, tasty place to eat and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the markOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/9/2013Being from GA I am picky about my southern food. The crawfish hushpuppies were great - probably my favorite thing on the menu that I tried. My husband had the fried chicken and said it was good but he had had better. I had the shrimp and grits which really missed the mark for me. I am more of a tomato based shrimp and grits girl with lots of cheese and sausage. They barely gave me any grits and they were super runny. If someone asked me where the best Southern restaurants were in SF I would steer them towards Brenda's or Hard Water. Don't waste your time going to Front Porch unless you live in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Incredible FoodPerniciousExistenceDined on 11/9/20136 of us dined with 6 different appetizers and 6 different entrees. All of us were insanely pleased with the quality of ingredients, the textures, the aromas, and the complex and layered taste profiles. From the bacon-wrapped dates to the fried okra, to the pork chop over baked beans, and Shrimp & Grits red-eye gravy. And who knew a bucket of chicken could be so exciting! We loved our dishes so much that we decided to just pass them around so everyone could get a taste. The food is easily a 9 out of 10. Unfortunately, the service was apathetic at best from our waitress and down-right rude from the bartender. We just quietly made fun of the wait staff and laughed it off. To be honest, the food more than made up for the sub-par service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good is the best word for itjyangDined on 11/8/2013I didn't dislike it, I didn't love it. I'd say I liked it enough to go back if Boxing Room was unavailable. Our food was 50/50 - half our table loved half the dishes and half our table didn't like half the dishes. Some of us really liked the fried chicken, but some thought it lacked flavor. I didn't like my shrimp and grits, but others did. Bacon wrapped dates and mac n cheese were as good as I've had them elsewhere, deviled eggs tasted meh, fried okra was good but had way more batter than okra. Desserts were great all around and the wine selection was decent with a good range of bottle prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you Triple DSteakfanDined on 11/7/2013We happened to see The Front Porch on a Diners, Drive-In and Dives episode. Being Intrigued and an upcoming trip to SF we made arrangements for our group to have dinner. Great atmosphere, excellent appetizers and the fried chicken was unreal!! This is a must do for future trips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastric funChristineDined on 10/31/2013Small place with good style and nice people. Great for a meal or just some cocktails and bites. Thanks for a great Halloween treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2013Great fried chicken and shrimp & grits. A nice hit of spice and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another stellar dining experience!ScottyDined on 10/27/2013My best friend (a former chef), my girlfriend, and I arrived bit early for our reservation, so after checking in at The Front Porch, we headed across the street to Rock Bar, owned by the same friendly folks. The owner, Josey, welcomed us and told us she'd walk over and get us when our table was ready! My girl and I had the bucket of fried chicken with sides of mac n' cheese and red beans and rice. My best friend had the spicy prawns with grits. We barely talked as we scarfed down the amazingly delicious fare. The Front Porch was great! Fast, friendly service, and free cornbread with chili butter while you wait. Great decor and ambience! Good for dates or family occasions. I've always had the best dining experiences here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super foodAliceDined on 10/26/2013I enjoyed having a modern and foodie take on Southern favorites, like hot boiled peanuts, fried okra and fried chicken. My group had a great time. Thanks!Special Features: