The Front Porch - San Francisco
65 A 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Front Porch - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefrontporchsf.com/
- Phone: 4156957800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday-Thursday: 5:30 PM-10:30 PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:30 PM-11 PM
Sunday: 5:00 PM-10:00 PM
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 PM - 10:30 PM, Friday & Saturday
5:30 PM- 11 PM Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Matt Marcus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: For all of you who hate waiting out in the cold for our delicious fried chicken the front porch has just bought you a cozy new neighborhood bar across the street called Rock Bar(as in geological rocks you'll see what I mean) where you can get a great cocktail before dinner & after dessert. Rumor has it there may be a midnight fried chicken window with a get it til it's gone type of supply and demand in the works!Plus there will be some front porch signature snacks to hold you over or up.
- Special Events: 9/9/ @ 9 pm The front porch will be having a viewing party for our showcase on food networks diners, drive-ins and dives. Porch concession stand will be available after 9pm and last dinner reservation will be at 7:30.
9/16/13 The front porch turns lucky number 7. We will be closed for regular dinner service, but 20 bucks gets you a big plate of food and some fun entertainment.
A word from The Front Porch - San Francisco
Come rock out on the porch and enjoy some southern mission hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Front Porch - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (103)fit for foodies (67)great for brunch (44)great for outdoor dining (34)hot spot (32)good for groups (26)special occasion (19)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (18)romantic (17)vibrant bar scene (16)great for lunch (13)notable wine list (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent again!SFTempTransplantVIPDined on 7/18/2014Second time around, charmed again! This time I brought along a couple more friends. The food was consistently excellent. This is fast becoming a go-to place for me and my friends. No drama-just great food, great atmosphere, and excellent service. This restaurant is a winner and I'll be back.Special Features:
- Good local resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014How fun to walk down the hill to a fun and yummy place for dinner on a Friday nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Loved your Fried Chicken with mashed potatoes! And of course your Pecan PieSpecial Features:
- Great FoodTVL69Dined on 7/17/2014Check it out! Worth it. It's pricey if you want to enjoy the whole food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relax on The Front Porch!SFTempTransplantVIPDined on 7/12/2014This is an excellent restaurant. As a La. native and a traveler to the Caribbean, I'm always skeptical about restaurants that claim to be "home, Southern, or Caribbean, I cringe. Thanks to The Front Porch, I can now have the real deal Southern dining experience in San Francisco. The service, particularly from the friendly owner who greeted us at the door was excellent! The atmosphere was busy, charged, energetic, without the typical hot restaurant pretension. The food was phenomenal. I consider myself a friend chicken, mac & cheese, and okra connoisseur, but they nailed it!!! The surprise of the evening was the deviled eggs with the bacon/jalapeño twist-Awesome! I will definitely return and soon!Special Features:
- Killer Fried ChickenashmudDined on 7/10/2014Great southern food, with great drinks to boot....Special Features:
- mypick2eatDined on 7/9/2014Would recommend to anyone who looking for great southern food with a twist of fun dining! We tried several appetizers all were really good; if you love bacon be sure to try the dates wrapped in bacon with goat cheese!Special Features:
- Yummy Comfort FoodGoodEats52Dined on 7/6/2014I had heard that their fried chicken was some of the best in city, so when I walked through the door and was greeted by the wonderful aroma of fried chicken I felt at home. My two friends and I ordered the bucket of chicken which was plentiful and delicious. Our appetizers which also served as sides consisted of short ribs (new to the menu), whole fried okra, fried green tomatoes and biscuits. All of the dishes were well seasoned and cooked to perfection. Oh, did I mentioned the complimentary side of mac & cheese. :) The staff and servers were friendly, attentive and fast. This was my first visit but it won't be my last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the fried chickenMark94115Dined on 7/6/2014The fried chicken was great, service was good. Super noisy and crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014The fried chicken dinner w/ Mac & Chz along w/ the dr. pepper short ribs dinner was delicious. So worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/1/2014Really enjoyed the Food, Drinks, and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Southern (Mission) HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014The food is fabulous - great fried chicken, pecan crusted flounder, short ribs, and a wonderful appetizer or bacon wrapped, goat cheese stuffed datetes! Wow! While the bourbon and rye selection is good, I highly recommend the "porch swing," a delicious and summery bourbon cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday on the Front PorchCoolSarahKDined on 6/25/2014Had my birthday here this past week and I had never heard of this place before. It was recommended to us by a friend and I could not have been happier. We had some drinks at the Rock Bar across the street which had an amazing list of signature cocktails. The Manhattan was unbelievable. Then we ended up across the street for dinner where we closed the place down. It was full of people but everyone was just so amazing, servers and patrons alike! The food was scrumptious and I was already thinking about coming back half way through my meal. It made me upset that I live in the Tendernob! So far away from this amazing spot. Will be back, and will be back SOON!Special Features:
- The following 343 reviews are from the The Front Porch - San Francisco reviews archive.
- great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Went here for my birthday after seeing this place on a tv show. Lived up to its reputation. Food an service were excellent! Drinks were good tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer service & food fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014I had a very random question about their back of house operations & kitchen & the owner personally came by to discuss it with me. She later offered to email follow up. The food was just as amazing & great wine! I recommend reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Fried ChickenRosieAVIPDined on 6/14/2014The bucket of chicken at Front Porch is a great late-night meal at a great price. The chicken is juicy inside and crispy outside. The collard greens and corn on the cob sides were a favorite. We had a little bit of a wait for our table, not a big deal, but the staff was super communicative about the wait and then offered to comp some appetizers.Special Features:
- Early Father's Day dinner407HelimechDined on 6/14/2014We spent the afternoon at the beach and found this place was nearby, had online reservations and open late. Appetizer, drinks & dinner were AWESOME! I chose the bacon wrapped dates as the appetizer and they were especially tasty. For dinner, I had the Dr. Pepper braised short ribs w/mashed potatoes, wifey had the pork chop with a side of mac & cheese (should be it's own food group) and my son had a bacon cheeseburger & fries. The short ribs were fork only, fall apart tender and the pork chop was extremely flavorful. My son devoured the burger in what I would call record time for him. Fine dining in a casual, neighborhood joint is probably the best way to describe this place. Drop by Tand enjoy a great meal. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible service food didnt live upGuythatwentDined on 6/13/2014two people ended up with very upset stomachs after dining here. service was unorganized. 20 minutes between drinks, one time 30 minutes. i understand it is cool for the hipster service crowd to not groom and appear to have not bathed but when they reach over the top of your plates and food you are receiving unsanitary service. Fried chicken wasnt bad. One of the most memorable parts of the evening is when a drink, described in the menu as having a sugared rim, was served without a sugared rim and the waiter was asked if we got the correct drink, the waiter pulled a very unprofessional attitude snapping "I can bring you a different drink if you dont want the one you ordered."You can get this food better and cheaper at any soul food place.
- So goodDavorDined on 6/7/2014This place is really, really good. The southern style food is terrific, as are the cocktails. It's so comfortable that it feels like your living room. There's always a good crowd, but you can still hear your companions and enjoy their company as well as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern ExcellenceJessVIPDined on 6/7/2014Like a trip to Savannah. Excellent Southern food in a friendly environment.Special Features:
- Always a winnermgummereDined on 6/6/2014A favorite spot...food is always good and atmosphere is fun. Reservations helpful unless eating after 10.Special Features:
- differentronnbeeDined on 6/5/2014So it has a new orleans twist for sure. It could of been a little more flavorful . We had a big group and we tried about 6 different dishes my favorite was the braised ribs and the mac n cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant Front PorchMiddletonmagicDined on 6/3/2014We booked from the UK having seen the FP on Triple D the week before. We were warmly welcomed and the service and food was outstanding - the Chicken is brilliant and the DrPepper Rib to die for. Being Brits however the portions were huge and we couldn't do them justice ! Starve yourself before a visit ! Thanks FP - you were great. Jackie & Andy GilbertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014Fried chicken didn't meet expectations at all. And it was dry and expensive. I used be in this neighborhood all the time and was excited to be back until I realized this was what people meant about gentrification in sf. It was a cute eclectic restaurant and super nice staff, but fancy prices for what should feel like home comfort food.Special Features:
- Special event dinnerMelissaVIPDined on 5/28/2014They were very accommodating for our special event dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food !!Luv2travelDined on 5/25/2014We were visiting from Phoenix and we weren't disappointed. The host was very nice and friendly and the food was wonderful. I would recommend this restaurant. The only thing I regret is not having a dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatTravelmeisterDined on 5/18/2014Sorry, the restaurant was good but did not live up to its Triple D hype. I reserved a table and they had it ready for us outside (as I’d requested) but it was a bit cool & windy so we went inside. Super, super dark inside – too dark to read the menu – a friend used his phone app light so we could read the menu. That’s kinda stupid to have to do. They’ve got a great beer selection and we all enjoyed our different beers. Food-wise we went with Dr Pepper braised beef, shrimp with chorizo, and fish along w/ a side of mac and cheese. While all meals were good, they weren’t great. At around $25 a pop with no sides, kinda expensive for average, good food. Hate to say it but the mac and cheese was the star of the meal. Wouldn’t return.
- Fun for a splurgeBernalGourmandDined on 5/18/2014The dishes were adventuresome, though not all were ultimately successful. Best dish we had was the salad: lolla rosa, nicely bitter and delicate, with radishes & cucumbers in a wonderful buttermilk dressing and truly superb croutons. I'm not usually one to rave about croutons, but... WOW. The gumbo was much too thin and too spicy for me. We had the 4pc fried chicken which was a mixed bag: the crust was actually too crunchy & hard so it was difficult to discern the flavors (a combination of their recipe and perhaps a little too long cooking?), but the meat was tender, juicy, &packed with flavor - I suspect a good brine - so once I took off the crust it was actually delicious. Service & staff were wonderful, ambiance noisy but fun! $$$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Terrible prices.RickyBeefEaterDined on 5/18/2014The service has always been very attentive and quick, even more so than much more expensive restaurants. I have eaten out, probably 10 to 15 thousand meals by now. While the food is quite good, there are some improvements on flavor-profiles for the main dishes. The Dr. pepper Short Ribs were good and tender, but there was nothing standout about them but they were very good. The problem is the price--$25 for a fair amount of beef over mashed potatoes and asparagus, is just too much money for what you get--16 dollars at the most. Period. There is little value to be had, and so I cannot recommend the Front Porch for value, and the taste of the food does not have me returning too soon, if ever again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodthegangDined on 5/17/2014The service is phenomenal, the food (omg) delicious. The restaurant is a little cramped which makes the ambience feel cozy. I love this restaurant.Special Features:
- I expected more from this placeHowardSFVIPDined on 5/11/2014I was a bit disappointed in The Front Porch after I had heard good things from others. The place was crowded but comfortable. I can't say the food was outstanding - the server asked if we wanted corn bread. He brought out the two tiniest bites of cornbread - I'm talking itsy-bitsy - I have ever seen. It was just ok, not great. The entrees were served with very large portions and looked great. I had fried chicked with mashed potatoes, kale and popcorn - weird. The portion was ample. The chicken was flavorful but slightly undercooked and the breading was very heavy and dense - not what I expected. The potatoes and gravy and kale were delicious. My dining partner had shortribs which were good but needed more spice - kind of bland.
- Great BrunchMissLyndaDined on 5/11/2014We went for brunch on Mother's Day. The table for 6 was ready when we arrived. I had chicken fried steak, eggs and grits. Great! The gravy was delicious. The others in my party loved their food also. Excellent southern food. The service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Mother's Day brunchLocalVIPDined on 5/11/20146 for lunch..Beignets were wonderful. Hot and light. Spicy shrimp and grits, delicious! Biscuits and gravy very good. Po Boy sandwiches were excellent. Benedict was very good. Parking is tough, and we were lucky we were not towed. Worth the trip.Special Features:
- The Front Porch ROCKS!MrLDinesOutDined on 5/8/2014An long time friend with family ties to Nashville wanted a soulful southern meal. I suggested that we go to the Front Porch as I'd just been there weeks before and couldn't wait to get back. We stuck to the classics Fried Okra with Cool cocktails to start. Fried Chicken with collard greens and mash potatoes for dinner. My friend loved the atmosphere, loved the food (posted a picture of it on facebook) and decided to go back for her son's birthday the following week. The front porch rocks! Whenever I go I can't wait to get back!Special Features:
- Fun and great Margaritas!Waldo196VIPDined on 5/1/2014This place is always a good time. The food is awesome if you are ready to indulge - don't try to be on a diet here! Staff is fun and friendly. I have been here several times and it's always fun. Don't order the alligator though...that is the one thing that is not good. Everything else is fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fried chicken in SF!camthegreat85Dined on 4/27/2014Love the food and cocktails. Can't go wrong with the apps!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious!savvyjdDined on 4/25/2014Farmer's vegan was delicious and very light-weight for a risotto which was perfect. Their biscuits, compound butter and jam hit the spot as an appetizer, side or dessert! The fried chicken plate was filling, perfectly crisp and rounded off beautifully with collards. Lastly, the Mac n Cheese is a mini-skillet of creamy cheesy goodness (so great with biscuits!). A bit pricey for a casual dinner but with the ambiance, service, impeccable food product and decent beer list spending $25-30/person doesn't seem so hefty. Had a great time and highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful decor & music; solid foodLJBYDined on 4/12/2014Food was fun and arrived quickly. Service was attentive. We had: Gumbo - Perfect. Best dish of the night. Fried okra - I've had better, but it was good. Needed salt. "Porch chop" - Good, especially the Brussels sprouts & apples. Fried chicken - Very good, & the mashed potatoes it came with were excellent. Asparagus - Basic but very good. Bread pudding - Also very good. Huge piece. We subbed chocolate sauce for the caramel. Yum. Decor was awesome. Very cozy & whimsical. The place needed a tad more light, but overall it was a fun night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Southern Dining SF styleHarley22Dined on 4/4/2014GREAT FOOD!! GREAT ATMOSPHERE!! HUGE portions! Our eyes were bigger than our stomachs, 2 appetizers filled us enough that we had to take home our entrees. My fiancee spent a year in New Orleans and felt the cuisine lived up to good southern cooking. The jambalya was delectable, the alligator was spicy and tasty. The fried chicken, greens and mashed potatoes were as good as homemade. Definitely taking my parents to brunch there when they visit. Its a Bernal Heights gem without question!!Special Features:
- Front PorchHaasDined on 3/28/2014My party of four arrived on time and we were told we would be seated in a minutes because the table they had for us had just paid. Well, 30 minutes later they said we are still waiting for them to leave. WTF: Tell them we have people waiting for this table. Secondly, the food was overpriced for what was basically KFC style chicken.